What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Rashee Rice, KC (1 Viewer)

Marcus Mosher @Marcus_Mosher
I really like SMU WR Rashee Rice.

He's got a little CeeDee Lamb to his game.

Marcus Mosher @Marcus_Mosher
I was really impressed with Rashee Rice vs. TCU.

Not only did he catch six passes for 74 yards and a TD, but he drew four penalties.

He was the only player on SMU that was ready for that level of play.

I like this kid. He’s polarizing in the community. Landing spot will have a lot to do with it, but both he and Flowers seem to be potential bargains in the 2nd round of rookie drafts.

2023 Senior Bowl Day 1 standouts: BYU WR Puka Nacua impresses; center rising into Round 1?

Excerpt:

1) SMU's Rashee Rice gave up a nap to stand out on Tuesday.

Rice knows how to get open, and that trait was on the line at the end of Tuesday's practice.
The American team coaches pitted a series of five one-on-one battles -- O-linemen versus D-linemen, linebackers versus running backs, receivers versus corners -- to close out the session. It was tied at two wins for the defense, two for the offense.

That left Rice to battle with South Carolina CB Darius Rush for the tiebreaker. Rice won off the snap and quickly gained separation on the dig route, but Shepherd QB Tyson Bagent's throw was off-target. That was technically a win for the defense -- and that meant Rice and his teammates owed 15 push-ups.

"It's fine, we'll get that one tomorrow," Rice said with a smile, "if they give us another shot at it."
Rice was a Day 1 standout and appears to be among the more gifted receivers at this year's event. He also hoped he was among the most prepared.

"I was studying all night and all morning," he said. "I didn't put the playbook down. I was like, I can't take a nap. I had to get these plays down. I didn't want to come out here and be like the guy who didn't know what (he was) doing. Everyone out here is competing for jobs, and I didn't want to be unprepared and look foolish."

Rice, who measured 6-foot, 200 pounds at the Senior Bowl, caught 96 passes for 1,355 yards and 10 TDs in 12 games last season. Tuesday was his most competitive action in a couple months, as he last played in a game on Nov. 26.

"I had to regain my quickness a bit," he said, "and it took me a few reps. These corners are fast."

Robert Schmitz @robertkschmitz
Feels like SMU WR Rashee Rice found himself today — he’s flashed serious quickness getting in and out of his breaks and here he’s clean through Jay Ward’s contact & finds the ball for an easy score.

He’s not a top-speed guy, but could be a really interesting power slot.

Clay Harbor @clayharbs82

Rashee Rice showing some of the skill set that garnered him 96 catches for 1,355 yards and 10 TD’s. #NFLdraft #SeniorBowl

Frankie Abbott @FrankiesFilm

Rashee Rice getting about as open as it gets.

Bobby Skinner @BobbySkinner_
Rashee Rice having a really nice practice #SeniorBowl

Austin Gayle @AustinGayle_

Rashee Rice is a menace

Heck of a RAS for Rice there. I was under the impression he didn't test well, but I was traveling the week of the combine, so...

I hit the character limit in my Route Running thread, so I'm putting the full quotes and links for each player in their bespoke threads.

+ "His knack ... executing quality routes makes Rice one of the more productive receivers in this draft class.", "a nightmare to cover on slant routes" - https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/b...-smu-wide-receiver-rashee-rice-2023-nfl-draft
- "route tree isn’t fully developed", "doesn’t do a great job separating with speed" - https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-skol-search-rashee-rice-scouting-report/
- "Not a clean, agile route-runner" - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10048424-rashee-rice-nfl-draft-2023-scouting-report-for-smu-wr
+/- "could potentially struggle to get consistent separation against man coverage", "combines impressive size and physicality with attention to detail as a route runner" - https://www.fantasypros.com/2023/01/2023-nfl-draft-scouting-report-rashee-rice-wr-smu/
+/- "the most notable concern is developing and expanding his route tree.", "a quality route-runner that is fully capable of executing any route" - https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/rashee-rice-4c87001f-e709-40ee-8c80-f15416da75f6/
- "tendency for nonchalant running on intermediate routes" - https://www.nfl.com/prospects/rashee-rice/32005249-4315-2916-ce74-9a69e469f940
- "didn't run a variety of routes" - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/rashee-rice-wr-smu/
- "route tree was limited" - https://atozsports.com/nashville/titans-rashee-rice-wr-nfl-draft-prospect-smu-tennessee/
- "could also improve on cutting out some false steps at the top of his routes, especially when he makes his cuts" - https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/rashee-rice-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-and-scouting-report-306
- "inconsistencies gearing down on comebacks or curls, needing too many steps at times, or losing his balance" - https://www.fantasypros.com/2023/02/dynasty-rookie-draft-profile-rashee-rice-2023-fantasy-football/
+ "put his route tree on display" - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-to-go-down-the-road-to-play-for-cowboys/amp/
+/- "a savvy route runner", "concerns about his ability to run an NFL-level route tree" - https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2023...-prospects-2023-smu-wide-receiver-rashee-rice
+/- "impressive savvy as a route runner", "don’t know whether the savvy he flashed on vertical routes would translate"

Last edited:
He's never been super impressive to me. And I guess it's all relative as no one is talking about him as a 1st rounder. But I feel like the highlight tapes are all him Mossing a bunch of dudes from Lamar.

He had 2 top 25 opponents last year and had 41 yards in each game. Can he consistently win vs NFL Level DB's?

Again he's cheaper than a lot of the guys we spend time talking about. I won't refuse to take him if he's at the right spot, but if he's going late 2nd or early 3rd, there's probably other guys I'm taking.

Chiefs traded up with the Lions to select SMU WR Rashee Rice with the No. 55 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.

The Chiefs gave up picks 63, 122, and 249 to get this pick from Detroit, and also got back 194th overall. Rice will open up behind Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Skyy Moore, and Kadarius Toney on the depth chart. A four-year contributor for the Mustangs, Rice (6’1/204) beat up on his group of five competition … except for when he didn’t. Inconsistency is a hallmark of Rice’s film and box scores, though his 96/1,355/10 2022 was by far his best campaign. Big for a receiver by the standards of the modern NFL, Rice is also fast for his size, posting a solid 4.51 40-yard dash but better 10- and 20-yard splits. A dominant jumper with a 41-inch vertical and 10’8’’ broad jump, Rice enters the league with a relative athletic score of 9.53 out of 10.0, putting him in the top 100 of the nearly 3,000 wideouts graded since 1987. Those numbers show up in his ball skills. Also a YAC threat, Rice plays strong. He does need to clean up the finer points of his game, which is always easier said than done at the NFL level. Already 23 and arriving from a non-power five conference, Rice will need to win with size while he works to become a better technician.
Apr 28, 2023 at 8:48 PM ET

As I said before the draft, I'm not super impressed by his tape. I guess it's easy to say "Well the Chiefs were."

The Chiefs took Skyy Moore at 54, Rice at 55, Mecole Hardman at 56. That's not to say they're bad at scouting receivers. But it is to say a 2nd rounder tied to Mahommes isn't an automatic slam dunk.

I thought he'd be an upside pick in the 3rd. Now you're probably looking at late 1st/early 2nd. Not sure that's where I want to be for a guy I wasn't super impressed with before the draft.

As I said before the draft, I'm not super impressed by his tape. I guess it's easy to say "Well the Chiefs were."

The Chiefs took Skyy Moore at 54, Rice at 55, Mecole Hardman at 56. That's not to say they're bad at scouting receivers. But it is to say a 2nd rounder tied to Mahommes isn't an automatic slam dunk.

I thought he'd be an upside pick in the 3rd. Now you're probably looking at late 1st/early 2nd. Not sure that's where I want to be for a guy I wasn't super impressed with before the draft.
The thing is they really have no one at WR now, just Moore and MVS. Unless they trade for a guy like Hopkins some one has to catch the ball beside Kelce.
While it may not be wise, in this draft (that’s pretty weak overall), I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s taken in Round 1 in most rookie drafts.

I think Mahomes and the Chiefs can have anyone at receiver as long as Kelce is still going strong. The cast of MVS, Moore, Toney, James, and Rice will be just fine for them. Not sure Rice will ever be a leader of that group but he fits in just fine. I wouldn’t be shocked if Richie James leads the receivers in receptions this year unless Toney miraculously finds a way to stay on the field.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s taken in Round 1 in most rookie drafts.
Of course he will be. Not like we're spoilt for choice with alternative options is it?
That’s what I said. This draft turned into one that’s hard to get excited about after the first three picks. I can even see a few TEs going in round 1 since the RBs are all buried and the WRs not very exciting.

Last edited:

The thing is they really have no one at WR now, just Moore and MVS. Unless they trade for a guy like Hopkins some one has to catch the ball beside Kelce.
While it may not be wise, in this draft (that’s pretty weak overall), I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s taken in Round 1 in most rookie drafts.

DId Toney die last night ?

DId Toney die last night ?
Yeah, sorry. Not sure how I forgot about him because I have him rostered. But while I think he has tremendous upside at this point he doesn’t change my original position much. There’s targets open in KC.

Just selected Rice at 2.05 in PPR over the likes of Mingo and Hyatt. Feel like I took the lowest-floor/highest ceiling guy. I hope he shows something in season 1.

I had no interest at the 3.1 or 3.5 pre-draft. He's now an auto-select at 3.1 if he falls, which he won't. I wish I could be more excited about one of the guys in the late 2nd that he will push down.

7.8% drop rate, which even looks kinda worse when you consider he ran mostly underneath routes in a wide spread offense that had a lot of his successful catches coming in a lot of space. Wasn't great against press and a lot of the drops seemed to come when the windows were tighter and there was pressure in his face. I still liked him coming up to the draft, but as others have alluded to, that was partially based on his value. Not so sure now that's he's shooting up the boards.

Rashee Rice takes pride in combining skills of bigger and smaller receivers

5 things I think following Chiefs’ rookie minicamp

Excerpt:

I think Rashee Rice looked good but does have some conditioning to do over the next few weeks.

This was the media’s first look at the second-round wide receiver. He had impressive moments as Reid lined him up in different ways throughout the weekend. The highlight for me was seeing Rice catch a ball in the back of the end zone to start Monday’s 7-on-7 session, with him jumping up and still getting both feet in for the score.

There were times when Rice seemed a little winded throughout the workouts. When asked about Rice at the podium, Reid addressed it all — the good and the bad.

“Strong, kind of the things we saw on tape,” said Reid. “He’s got to make sure he gets his running in. That position, we run like crazy. He’s got to get that part taken care of, but you could see the strength in his route running, his ability to work in space... Good hands.”

Remember when then-rookie-second-round wide receiver Mecole Hardman needed to “keep running?” He just went on to have 555 scrimmage yards and six touchdowns his rookie year.

Rice has some conditioning to do before May 27, the start of organized team activities (OTAs). But that blip is nothing to worry about, at least right now.

7 standout players from Chiefs rookie minicamp

Excerpt:

If you’re looking for a standout among the draft picks, Rice would be that guy. On Monday alone, he made a touchdown grab during 7-on-7 team drills. On Sunday, he had a nice catch-and-run that would have gone the distance. He showed throughout the week that he can win in a variety of different ways. It wasn’t all sunshine and roses for Rice, though. Andy Reid had one big critique after watching him through three practices.

I don't think he is very good. He's being drafted too high simply because the Chiefs drafted him. How's Skyy Moore working out so far? And I actually think Moore is better than Rice.

He has gone 2.2(me) and 2.3 in my two drafts so far as the 6th WR off the board. He was the 7th WR off the board in the NFL draft. In both my drafts he went ahead of Jayden Reed who was drafted ahead him in the NFL draft. I think it’s kind of where you’d expect him to go.

Users who are viewing this thread