What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Stefon Diggs, HOU (1 Viewer)

I have only watched the first half of the most recent game against the Bears so far. What I saw was Diggs drew Corey Fuller in coverage for the most part as Fuller would shadow him and Barber also mentions that Fuller has been matched up with Diggs this game. Fuller is playing 2 yards directly in front of Diggs on several of the plays. He plays very tight coverage on Diggs or tries to, and I think he does a pretty good job on him from what I have observed so far.

On the 1st drive the Vikings get a nice run from Peterson for 6 yards. Then on 2nd and 4 they run an out route to Mike Wallace, the ball is on target and I thought Teddy had a nice release on this pass and it gets safely to the spot near the sideline away from the defenders on time and on target. The ball hits Wallace in the hands and is going towards his belly but he still can’t control the ball and make the catch.

3rd and 4 Shotgun Asiata to Bridgewaters right. Diggs inside to the left with Rudolph outside him. Mike Wallace outside to the right Jarius Wright in the slot right. Rudolph comes in motion from the left side bringing a defensive back with him. Rudolph ends up outside of Wright and a bit behind the line. This motion brings two defenders away from the left side of the field as the defense shifts to cover him and leaves Diggs one on one with Fuller who is lined up 2 yards in front of Diggs. The Bears run a nice twist and Kalil is being beat inside while the defensive tackle has engaged but didn’t get any depth in his rush because he is leaving a space behind Fusco for the outside rusher to get through and he almost does before Fusco helps Kalil out by sandwiching this guy, which allows the defensive tackle to loop around both of them and get pressure on Teddy. Kalil is too late switching back off to the looping pass rusher.

Diggs initially runs a pretty good slant route inside and gets Fuller to open a bit before he stops planting both feet and then turning around to the out route. Fuller has to extend his arms out to keep balance while he pivots back to cover Diggs who is getting some separation from Fuller with the move and maybe could have gained more if Teddy had a little more time to wait or threw the ball leading him outside a bit more. Teddy does not have time so the pass is a bit early or Diggs route a bit slow not sure which. Fuller makes a great play jumping and getting contact with the ball to knock it down. He was able to get position on Diggs who may have wanted the pass a bit later in his route.

On 1st down Peterson runs for 8 yards. The Vikings were in 2TE/1FB and Patterson outside to the left. Zack Line gets a good block to seal the edge defender away from the lane Clemmons and Rudokph block down on the LDE and do a good job of clearing him from the lane that Fusco and Pruitt are pulling through. Adrian follows them and gets about 5 yards before cutting back inside where he gets tackled.

2nd and 2 Patterson outside left Theilen inside him. Rudolph on the right Zach Line offset to the right. The play is to Peterson on what looks like pretty straight ahead blocking except that Kalil is able to get out on 49 because no defender covers him on the line. So there was a lot of space to the left but Peterson runs this inside. Harris fails his block on NT Goldman who is knifing inside and Clemmons misses his block as well so Peterson has to get vertical quickly to avoid these guys. He manages to get the 1st down but I think perhaps a bigger play if he had took it outside with the 2 WR and Kalil in front of him.

1st and 10 is a toss left to Peterson for a yard.

2nd and 9 Shotgun Peterson to Bridgewaters left. 2TE to the right Diggs outside to the left Wallace outside to the right. Fuller is lined up 2 yards in front of Diggs who makes a bunch of hand movements as he is coming off the line. Diggs is faking the slant route but I think his left foot gets caught in the turf and he falls down. After he gets back up he continues running what looks like was meant to be a slant and go. Bridgewater is initially looking to the right before shifting back to Diggs at around the time he is falling down. Teddy then scrambles to the right and gets the ball to Rudolph on the sideline coming back to the ball. Rudolph initially was running a corner route and Wallace runs a go Pruitt in the flat.

3rd and 3 the Shotgun 3WR 1TE Wallace and Wright run shallow drag routes, Diggs runs a go and Rudolph goes to the middle of the field where Teddy finds him between 3 defenders. Rudolph does a nice job of attacking the ball on this one not waiting for it to come to him.

1st and 10 play action to Peterson but no one gets open and Bridgewater throws the ball away.

2nd and 10 Shotgun inside zone run with Peterson for 3 yards.

3rd and 7 Bridgewater stumbles on this play. Diggs runs a deep out and it looks like he makes his break right about the time Teddy almost gets tackled by the turf. Bridgewater scrambles left and dumps the ball off to Asiata for a short gain.

On the interception Bridgewater throws to Fuller Diggs is running a square in route but Fuller runs the route in front of Diggs the whole way, so he knew what route the Vikings were going for. I don’t know what Bridgewater sees aside from Fuller being directly in front of Diggs who is not open.

Mike Wallace had two bad drops I saw. The shot Bridgewater took to Wallace in the end zone was thrown too far outside for Wallace to catch it and stay in bounds. Would have liked to see him catch it anyways, but it was too far outside. One of the drops Wallace seems to be indicating the sun was in his eyes.

I have yet to see anyone in the industry with the balls to squeeze this guy into their top-15 dynasty WR's. Someone will eventually, although I think it's too early since we haven't seen teams game plan to stop him yet.

I have yet to see anyone in the industry with the balls to squeeze this guy into their top-15 dynasty WR's. Someone will eventually, although I think it's too early since we haven't seen teams game plan to stop him yet.
I would say the Bears had a game plan to stop him. They put Fuller on him in man coverage with safety help over the top. If a team tries to do more than this to stop him then the Vikings are likely to have success running the ball.

it baffles me how far behind the 'experts' seem to be on him. My Yahoo site always has a point projection to help people choose their lineups. Stud receivers like Julio and Beckham are usually around 16 projected points. This week, Cobb and Thomas and at 13 and 14. They currently have Diggs at 7. Have be had him above 7 all year yet. I have Stevie johnson, Lafell, Adams, and J.Mathews on my bench, and they have all of them projected higher. Lol. It's not week 4 Yahoo. Your experts are asleep at the wheel.

Still a lot of nonbelievers. I offered him in my keeper league where we can keep only one player. He would be a ninth rounder next year. I offered him to the 1-7 team straight up for aj green who isn't keeper eligible and he rejected.

it baffles me how far behind the 'experts' seem to be on him.My Yahoo site always has a point projection to help people choose their lineups. Stud receivers like Julio and Beckham are usually around 16 projected points. This week, Cobb and Thomas and at 13 and 14. They currently have Diggs at 7. Have be had him above 7 all year yet. I have Stevie johnson, Lafell, Adams, and J.Mathews on my bench, and they have all of them projected higher. Lol. It's not week 4 Yahoo. Your experts are asleep at the wheel.
Projections Powered by Pro Football Focus ®

In the past few weeks FBGs Top 200 Forward has moved him from mid-50s to low-30s to this week....in the company of Dez, Landry, Decker & Evans.

it baffles me how far behind the 'experts' seem to be on him.My Yahoo site always has a point projection to help people choose their lineups. Stud receivers like Julio and Beckham are usually around 16 projected points. This week, Cobb and Thomas and at 13 and 14. They currently have Diggs at 7. Have be had him above 7 all year yet. I have Stevie johnson, Lafell, Adams, and J.Mathews on my bench, and they have all of them projected higher. Lol. It's not week 4 Yahoo. Your experts are asleep at the wheel.
is that true?

Today, in dynasty - worth more or less than Keenan Allen?
In dynasty, it shouldn't matter if it was yesterday, today, or tomorrow.

The answer is Allen, 100% of the time.
I think you're wrong. Diggs is something special. Not saying Allen isnt, but Diggs is a star in this league and will be for a long time. The comparisons Wallace made to Antonio Brown opened my eyes. Watching him since, I believe it
:shrug:

He could very well be. But NO ONE should be anointing a 5th round pick as such after 4 games played.

At the end of this season, absolutely he should be considered something special if he continues with what he has flashed until this point.

In the past few weeks FBGs Top 200 Forward has moved him from mid-50s to low-30s to this week....in the company of Dez, Landry, Decker & Evans.
now that's accurate.

is that true?
Yes, it says it on the team page if you go to projected stats

I assume those are redraft rankings, though. I'm talking about someone slapping their money down and ranking him high in dynasty. WR is young and talented and crowded right now so I can see keeping him out of the top-15, maybe top-20, but it gets harder to make excuses after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume those are redraft rankings, though. I'm talking about someone slapping their money down and ranking him high in dynasty. WR is young and talented and crowded right now so I can see keeping him out of the top-15, maybe top-20, but it gets harder to make excuses after that.
:shrug:

You do realize we lowly redraft slugs play for cash, right?

;)

But yes, it is customized for ROS only (full PPR with modest return & bonus scoring.)

I tried trading him in a package to get Dez or Cobb this week. No luck. Nobody is really interested at his redraft ROS WR26 projections.

If you target 1 receiver 10 times a game he is bound to put up decent numbers.
Sig alluded in the Week 8 recap podcast to the fact that you weren't seeing coverage rolled away from Wallace to Diggs yet, and it's a great point. There's enough of a sample + tape on Diggs at this point for teams to not only notice but game plan for his presence on the field going forward.

Of course you want the good times to continue to roll as an owner, but how he handles any extra attention will be the test in the upcoming weeks for sure. I think I'm at temper expectations slightly, but keep in your lineup definitely as we move ahead here and see how it unfolds.
i think us diggs guys are hoping wallace gets a 50 yd. bomb every 3 games or so, just to keep the DCs honest. and what DCs are going to "ignore" wallace who is probably still top 10 in the nfl in the 40. i think diggs will go w/ teddy regardless of the other wrs.

re: driggs, w/ hopkins on a bye, it was nice to set the lineup this week and put him where he is due @ WR2 (was flex) in a 14 team league.

I finished watching the game. Observations from the second quarter on.

The Vikings score off of Sherels punt return so they didn’t have the ball much for the rest of the 1st quarter.

The Vikings ran a couple times with Peterson leading to a 3rd and 6 then a false start on 3rd down begins the 2nd quarter.

3rd and 11 Pistol formation with Asiata to Bridgewaters left Mycole Pruitt to the right. Mike Wallace outside right with Wright in the slot. Diggs outside to the left. The pass rush was picked up pretty well on this play even with 49 blitzing inside Berger picks him up, Fusco and Kalil do a pretty good job blocking their guys as well as Asiata leaks out. Teddy finds Asiata open out in the flat as Fuller plays off coverage on Diggs there is a lot of space in the left flat area. The pass has nice touch on it but is a little behind Asiata who reaches back and catches the ball without having to break stride. Diggs runs about 15 yards then comes back to the LOS. He sees Asiata catch the ball he turns back to block Fuller. Fuller gets past Diggs fighting through the block but he trips over Diggs legs as he is pushing past, so he cannot make the play. Asiata leaps forward just before contact and the momentum allows him to get an additional 3 yards and the 1st down.

1st and 10 single back I with Rudolph and Pruitt to the right, Wallace on the right Diggs on the left. Pruitt goes in motion to the left before the snap balancing the line. Fuller is playing 5 yards off of Diggs and motions to the safety to cover deep just before the snap. Fuller gives Diggs a pretty good jam that disrupts him just before he making his cut to the out route, causing Diggs to stumble. Play action to Peterson who runs to the right. Pruitt blocks 92 initially but then lets him go and turns around for the ball. Teddy gets it to him and he runs pretty much straight forward as Fuller has turned and containing the outside. Berger gets off his double team and out to block Fuller, he does not get contact but he does create a space for Pruitt to run by Fuller. Priott is tackled by the LB pursuing from the right side of the formation. At least 3 defenders are on that side looking at Peterson after the fake before reacting to Teddy getting Pruitt the ball.

2nd and 1 Peterson single back I formation Zach Line outside to the right with in the slot in line. Diggs outside to the left. The Bears are in a nickel defense only 7 defenders in the box, Zach Line goes in motion ending up offset to the right. The play is a run with Peterson to the right side. Rudolph and Mike Wallace get nice blocks on this creating a lane for Peterson outside the tackles. Clemmings does a good job here also with some late help from Berger. Peterson hits this crease and if the FS Rolle does not ankle tackle him, he might have scored.

1st and 10 single back I formation with Peterson. 2TE to the right Wallace and Diggs to the left. Diggs goes in motion before the snap and they fake the jet sweep to him. Bridgewater looks to his left where Rudolph is running a drag route to the left but is well covered. Mike Wallace raised his hand and he was getting past Fuller in the seam, but I cannot see the safety coverage on him. Bridgewater dumps the ball off to Diggs in the right flat who gets some yards after the catch. Mike Harris who pulled on the action of the jet sweep might have been illegally downfield? No flags and Harris didn’t block anyone before Diggs had the ball.

The Vikings come with their big package and Patterson is the WR outside to the left. Rudolph is on the line to the right, Pruitt and Line in the backfield. The play is a run with Peterson inside to the left similar to a run they had to the right earlier in the game. Mike Harris pulls to the right 49 gets stopped by Pruitt in the backfield then Harris knocks him down and covers him allowing Priuitt to go hunting again. Zach Line blows up the LB trying to fill the hole off tackle and knocks him into 38 as well effectively blocking both players with his block. Kalil and Fusco double team the defensive tackle and push him back 5 yards before knocking him down. Berger, Clemmings and Rudolph are able to seal the back side of the run. Peterson follows Lines block and gets 7 yards before being hit by Rolle again. Peterson wins this collision but he ends up tripping over Rolle on the ground after the contact.

1st and 10 I formation with Line at FB Wallace outside to the left with Diggs in the slot. Rudolph to the right in line. Wallace comes in motion to the right before the snap and they run a fake end around to him after Bridgewater hands the ball to Peterson on dive play. Line blocks to the right side helping Rudolph. Peterson initially presses the right corner while avoiding 93 who has beaten Clemmings block and knifed inside, a defender gets off of Rudolphs block and Peterson then cuts back inside. Kalil and Fusco double team the RE before Fusco gets off the block and gets on 49 sealing the back side of the play. Harris and Berger double team the NT and Harris gets off the double team to block the LB and Peterson runs behind this block after cutting back inside. Peterson makes three impressive jump cuts while navigating this play.

1st and 10 McKinnon comes in as Peterson is winded. The play is a run to the left side McKinnon tries to evade LB Jones but he is able to tackle him for a minimal gain. Close to making Jones miss.

2nd and 8 The Vikings line up with 3 WR but there is a false start on the play. The Bears look like they were coming with a blitz off the right side.

The commentator mentions that this officiating crew has called the most penalties in the league. This is two false starts on the Vikings who have committed the least amount of penalties this season. Only 3 holding calls.

2nd and 13 3 WR this is the play where Teddy tried to get it to Wallace in the end zone but he threw it too far outside I mentioned before.

3rd and 13 the play is a dump off to Asiata. The throw was high and he does a good job of catching this ball but he isn’t able to turn upfield as quickly because of adjusting to the throw.

Vikings kick a field goal.

1st and 10 Single back I formation with Line outside to the right again, Rudolph on the right with Theilen in the slot right Diggs on the left side. Line comes in motion to directly behind Bridgewater before shifting back offset to the right. Bridgewater fakes the quick slant to Diggs before turning and giving the ball to Peterson. Harris and Berger double team the NT pushing him back. Fusco and Kalil seal defenders to the outside. Peterson sees the hole and runs right up the middle behind Berger and Harris. Clemmings lets his guy get off the block just as Peterson is passing him, but Peterson is too fast. Line gets a good block on the LB 52 on the right side and Rudolph blocks his guy to the outside on the right. Harris gets off the double team and blocks the MLB Peterson gets 9 yards before using a spin move to avoid a tackle by 38 who gets a piece of his leg while Peterson is trying to spin out of it. Peterson almost regains his balance but goes down after getting the 1st down. Unlike the run with 3 jump cuts Peterson is able to hit this hole full speed just running straight ahead. It looks like there is a bit more space off to the left side again if there wasn’t good blocking inside.

I like all the play fakes from Bridgewater. He was doing this all of last season as well but not as effective without Peterson in there. Teddy is still learning how to sell these fakes, but I see him improving with it over time.

1st and 10 2TE to the right with Wallace outside Peterson in the I and Diggs outside to the left. Wallace comes in motion behind the TE threatening screen perhaps. The play is a dive to the right with Peterson who gets 3 yards.

2nd and 7 Peterson in the I formation with 3 WR 1 TE. Diggs outside left with Wallace is in the slot. Rudolph on the right with Theilen outside right. Wallace and Diggs fake the WR screen to Wallace and Bridgewater looks that way before turning and handing off to Peterson on another dive play. Peterson gets 5 yards running inside with a lot of traffic around.

3rd and 2 Pistol offset to the left behind Bridgewater Rudolph outside left with Diggs in the slot. Wallace outside to the right with Wright in the slot. Rudolph comes in motion lining up beside Kalil and Diggs shifts outside. The Bears call a time out.

3rd and 2 the Vikings bring their big package into the game after the time out. 2TE to the right side with Patterson outside to the left Line in front of Peterson in the I formation. Number 37 is able to meet Peterson in the backfield and tackle him for a loss.

With less that 2 minutes left the Vikings line up with McKinnon in the backfield and they run the fake WR screen to the left before handing off to McKinnon who has a nice run to the right side.

1st and 10 3WR 1TE Rudolph inside to the right with Wallace outside him, Diggs outside to the left with Wright in the slot. The WR all run stop routes and Bridgewater targets Wallace who drops the catch and makes a motion with his hand over his eyes after the catch indicating that he couldn’t see it.

2nd and 10 Bridgewater throws the out route to Diggs right as Diggs was making his break. However Diggs gets tangled up with Fuller who falls down on the play and Diggs isn’t able to get to the ball.

3rd and 10 this is where Diggs runs the Dig route but Fuller runs it better than Diggs does and Diggs is never open on this play. Still not sure why Teddy throws this one. Interception.

The Vikings get the ball back but just run with Asiata and let the half expire.

3rd quarter

1st and 10 2 WR 1 TE 1 FB Diggs to the left Wallace and Line to the right with Rudolph. Line comes in motion before the snap and lines up in the backfield offset to the right. Teddy fakes the quick slant to Diggs and turns to hand off to Peterson who runs a dive play to the right for 3 yards.

2nd and 7 Pistol with Line to the right of Teddy Wallace outside to the left with Pruitt on the line next to Kalil. Diggs outside to the right. Peterson motions from the I and lines up outside of Wallace on the left. Diggs runs a quick slant after giving a brief fake to the outside. Porter is playing tight on Diggs and stays in his hip pocket not buying the fake. Teddy throws the ball on time but Porter is able reach his hand in and knock the ball away.

3rd and 7 Pistol with Asiata to the right of Teddy. Wallace outside to the left with Rudolph inside near Kalil. Diggs outside to the right with Wright in the slot. Porter plays off coverage. Diggs and Wright both run stop routes just past the marker. Porter has given Diggs too much cushion here. Teddy is on target with the pass through perhaps a little high. Diggs is able to catch it for the easy 1st down. He turns and makes 92 miss with a nice juke move then stiff arms Porter to help Diggs gain another 4 yards after the catch.

I am wondering if Wallace and Diggs have switched roles these last two plays because Diggs is usually on the left with Wallace on the right. Diggs is able to get matched up with Porter instead of Fuller by lining up on the right these two plays.

1st and 10 2 TE to the right Diggs outside to the left with Wallace in the slot Peterson in the I formation. Brigewater is pressured on the play and scrambles out to the left side. A defender hits Teddy after he slides and draws flags. Looks like a bad call to me as Acho was not trying to drive into Bridgewater or anything like that. Just touching him down. His helmet does touch Bridgewaters but it wasn’t an impact. In slow motion it looks like how you would rest your head on a pillow. Bridgewater does a good job of acting to help draw the flag.

1st and 10 The Vikings run with Peterson outside to the right but Pruitt gets called for holding. Another ticky tack call.

1st and 20 Diggs outside to the right with Porter playing off coverage. Wallace outside to the left 2 TE to the right side. Rudolph comes in motion to the left side balancing the line. Play action to Peterson then Bridgewater rolls to his right and finds Diggs on a deep out route. Diggs has about 6 yards separation from Porter who closes on the ball as it arrives but it is nicely placed to the outside and Diggs makes the catch.

2nd and 5 2 TE to the right Diggs outside to the left with Theilen in the slot. Play action to Peterson. Bridgewater is able to step up into the pocket and is throwing the ball deep, I think to either Theilen or Diggs but the ball is batted down near the line.

3rd and 5 Pistol with Asiata to Teddys left. Diggs outside left. Rudolph Wallace and Wright are in a bunch on the right side. Wallace runs a go route and is about 5 yards ahead of Porter with no help over the top but Bridgewater throws the ball too far and Wallace can’t get to it.

1st and 10 Bridgewater finds Peterson in for a catch five yards.

2nd 5 the Vikings run a dive play with Peterson who gets stood up short of the 1st down but then still drives for an extra yard to get the 1st down. RT Clemmings gets hurt on this play.

1st and 10 with 7th round offensive tackle Shepherd now at RT the Vikings line up Patterson outside to the right with Pruitt in the slot. Rudolph to the left Zach Line offset to the left Peterson in the I formation. Before the snap Pruitt goes in motion lining up offset to the right. They run with Peterson up the middle who gets tackled by Rolle who hangs on to his leg after the initial tackle. One of the Bears LB is on the sideline because of the contact with Peterson from the previous play.

2nd and 3 Peterson in the I formation Pruitt on the left near Kalil Zach Line outside to the left with Wallace in the slot. Diggs outside to the right. Line goes in motion before the snap lining up directly behind Teddy before the snap. Teddy looks at Diggs who is running a quick slant but this is a fake and Teddy turns and gives the ball to Peterson who gets met by 38 in the backfield. The line does not get good push here and the safety is able to fill the hole while Peterson is looking for somewhere to go. Peterson almost spins out of this tackle but 38 holds on to his ankle until help arrives.

Although the Bears are playing a 3-4 defense. They do not have near the pass rush that KC or Denver have. The Bears are actually playing a lot of nickel packages and not run blitzing nearly as much as other teams have to stop the run. The corners are not shadowing receivers but playing their side. The Vikings have moved Diggs to the right side now avoiding Fuller. Porter plays more off coverage than Fuller does.

3rd and 3 Pistol Diggs outside to the right with Wright in the slot. Wallace outside to the left with Rudolph in the slot. Asiata to Teddy’s left. Wright runs a stop route while Diggs runs an out. Teddy finds Wright open in the seam for a 1st down. Wallace was running a go and Rudolph the out route on the other side.

1st and 10 Peterson single back Diggs outside to the left with Wallace in the slot. Wright outside to the right with Rudolph on the right side of the line. They fake the WR screen to Wallace and then Teddy turns to give the ball to Peterson who runs behind the space Fusco and Berger create. Peterson is met and pushed sideways but continues to try to break free. He ends up with 6 or more Bears players all pushing him sideways while they try to strip the ball. Eventually the refs blow the whistle.

2nd and 6 Wallace outside to the right Rudolph in the slot near Shepherd. Diggs outside to the left with Pruitt in the slot. Peterson to the left of Teddy. Pruitt runs a drag route to the right side while Diggs runs a go after making a move inside on Fuller. He is even at with Fuller who has turned to run with him at about 5 yards and pulling away. Bridgewater Shepherd struggles with his block and Teddy seeing this scrambles to the right to avoid him and ends up throwing the ball at the feet of Pruitt. Rudolph and Wallace ran deep routes as well so I think they were trying to get Pruitt underneath by flooding the deep zones. The LB has good position on Pruitt so he isn’t open. Peterson is open in the left flat but Teddy cannot see him because he is scrambling the opposite way.

3rd and 6 Shotgun Asiata to Bridgewaters right. Rudolph next to Shepherd with Wallace outside to the right. Diggs outside to the left with Wright in the slot. The Bears corners play tight on Diggs and Wright Teddy tries to get the ball to Diggs on the left sideline but the pass is out of bounds. The safety is driving on the ball and they have 3 on 2 there with neither receiver very open. Wallace runs an out and up route on the other side but Teddy doesn’t look that way.

The Bears have a long drive where Jeremy Langford has some nice runs. The Bears convert on 4th down as Jeffrey is just really hard to cover. They end up taking the lead off a run by Cutler who cares enough to run through Harrison Smiths hit.

1st and 10 I formation Rudolph on the right with Charles Johnson outside him. Diggs outside to the left with Wallace in the slot. Johnson goes in motion before the snap but returns back to his original position. The Vikings pull Fusco to the right and Bridgewater play actions to Peterson. 92 McPhee is able to get inside of Kalil’s block and sacks Teddy tackling him low near the knees which is kind of scary. Berger is one on one with Goldman and does ok with his block but Kalil is exposed by himself on this play.

2nd and 17 Shotgun Peterson to Teddys right. Wallace outside to the right Rudolph in the slot. Diggs outside to the left with Charles Johnson in the slot. Teddy feels the pass rush again and takes off through a crease on the left side. Johnson gets a nice block downfield for Teddy helping him get the 1st down.

1st and 10 Bridgewater throws a swing pass to Peterson out in the right flat for minimal gain.

2nd and 9 Shotgun Peterson to Teddy’s right. Mike Wallace outside to the right with Rudolph in the slot. Diggs outside to the left with Wright in the slot. Diggs runs a stop route and Bridgewater throws it to him because Rolle and a LB have blitzed and are bearing down on him. Diggs goes up and catches the ball on what was a risky play as there are two defenders in the area. Diggs is able to extend the play by running to the right but eventually gets taken down. Diggs’s knee hits the turf on this tackle and he is in pain after the play. He gets up and signals the 1st down before he crumbles to his back, still working off the adrenalin I guess. Watching the tackle it does not seem like something serious.

BTW CLemmings had come back and has been playing for a while. So his injury wasn’t serious.

2:33 left to play and the Vikings are down by a TD.

1st and 10 Shotgun Peterson to Bridgewaters left Pruitt beside Clemmings on the right. Jarius Wright outside to the right. Johnson outside to the left with Wallace in the slot. McManus gets called for holding Wallace who runs a slant and go route. Not sure about this flag.

1st and 10 Shotgun Diggs outside to the left with Wallace in the slot. Adam Theilen outside to the right with Pruitt in the slot. Brigewater throws the deep out route to Diggs but Diggs is running a post or something inside.

2nd and 10 Shotgun with Peterson to the left of Bridgewater. Charles Johnson outside to the right with Pruitt in the slot. Diggs outside to the left with Wallace in the slot. Pruitt runs a stop route about 7 yards deep in the seam and Birdgewater hits him on the numbers. Rolle is able to make the tackle before Pruitt can get turned around to run again. 2 minute warning.

3rd and 4 Shotgun Asiata to Bridgewaters left Rudolph to his right. Charles Johnson to the right Mike Wallace outside to the left with Diggs in the slot. Because Diggs is in the slot and the Bears are playing man coverage he draws McMannis while Wallace gets Fuller. Wallace and Diggs run a scissor route at the beginning of it with Wallace going inside under Diggs going outside. Bridgewater holds the ball waiting for receivers to come open which Diggs does coming back towards the ball. As Diggs said in post game press conference, Teddy leads Diggs to the outside with his ball placement which puts Diggs in the right positon to turn upfield as he is making the catch. McMannnis falls down trying to react to the come back route and Diggs scores with help from Wallace blocking Fuller downfield.

The Bears go 3 and out and the Vikings get the ball back with a little over a minute left.

1st and 10 Shotgun McKinnon in the backfield but he motions outside to the right. Rudolph is near Clemmings on the right. Diggs outside to the left with Wright between him and Wallace in the slot. The play is a WR screen to Diggs who picks up a nice block from Wright sealing Fuller to the outside. Fusco has gotten out on this and giving Diggs a lane to run trhough, Wallace blocks Porter downfield. Diggs slips on the turf and comes up liming after the play.

2nd and 7 Shotgun McKinnon to Bridgewaters right. Charles Johnson outside to the right with Wright in the slot. Wallace outside to the left with Rudolph in the slot. Johnson runs a out and come back route that Bridgewater throws high but Johnson is able to leap up and catch at the highest point setting up the Vikings for the winning field goal.

Ronde Barber says that this is a pass Bridgewater shouldn’t throw and he though it might become an interception if Johnson does not go up for the ball the way he did. I somewhat agree but the Vikings needed to make a play.

They run with Peterson who almost breaks this one for a TD but Rolle catches him from behind. The Vikings used the 2 FB formation again with Patterson that I have seen quite a bit today. I have seen the Vikings run this type of formation with Peterson against the Bears even when Musgrave was the OC. Moreso than I think they use this against other teams.

In conclusion I think playing tight coverage as Fuller did with Diggs is effective. Of course this requires another defender over the top. Mike Wallace is also a threat so to do this you likely still need a defender over the top against him. The Bears played the Vikings this way most of the game with only a few blitzes. This made the running game more consistently effective instead of the famine feast Peterson has been going through against other teams run blitizing a lot more than the Bears did in this game.

Zach Line won me over a bit with a couple of his blocks in this game.

The best defender on the field may have been the field itself as there were players falling down a lot from both teams.

Just shipped him in a package

Gave tyrod diggs denagelo

Got Aaron Rodgers, Evans, spiller

Redraft nonppr

I admit it. I wasn't a believer and thought Diggs was getting too much hype. The last game sold me though. This kid's special.

I wanted him really badly in my 1 point PPR league so I traded for him as "filler" for an Ingram trade after L. Bell went down.

I gave:
Palmer

Moncrief

Woodhead

I got:

Ingram
Diggs

I'm really excited about it.

Just shipped him in a package

Gave tyrod diggs denagelo

Got Aaron Rodgers, Evans, spiller

Redraft nonppr
Interesting trade. This would have received screams of collusion if it were made in week one. Before Taylor and Diggs became fantasy studs. If Taylor is as good as he was pre-injury, I actually like the Tyrod/Diggs/Williams side more. I'm assuming the guy you made the deal with lost either Foster or Bell and was desperate for a running back. You got the better QB, assuming the GB offense can find their way back. Diggs and Evans is a wash, IMO.

Never pulled the trigger for the dynasty Ebron for Diggs trade. Offers have increased. Was offered West and Edelman from one rebuilding owner and Miller, Ebron, and Buck(I have Forsett) from another.

There's some strange number crunching in that article, putting his stats up against injured guys who aren't even playing, or are otherwise seeing very limited snap counts.

But still, Diggs looks like the real deal I think. Bridgewater is my main concern. He's thrown a grand total of 6 TDs so far this year.
Well the target audience is the homer crowd. Lookey here, these clowns all wasted 1st round picks on WRs and we found our stud in the 5th. And he's better than the three best rookie WRs in Vikings history (White, Moss, Harvin) on a YTD basis.

He's very good. But there will be regression over the next month IMO. I don't care, I just need him to be making plays during the three weeks of the FF playoffs.

FTR I'm starting him this week despite the matchup, over Benjamin and LaFell.

BobbyLayne said:
LittlePhatty said:
Biabreakable said:
There's some strange number crunching in that article, putting his stats up against injured guys who aren't even playing, or are otherwise seeing very limited snap counts.

But still, Diggs looks like the real deal I think. Bridgewater is my main concern. He's thrown a grand total of 6 TDs so far this year.
Well the target audience is the homer crowd. Lookey here, these clowns all wasted 1st round picks on WRs and we found our stud in the 5th. And he's better than the three best rookie WRs in Vikings history (White, Moss, Harvin) on a YTD basis.

He's very good. But there will be regression over the next month IMO. I don't care, I just need him to be making plays during the three weeks of the FF playoffs.

FTR I'm starting him this week despite the matchup, over Benjamin and LaFell.
:shrug: Most of those numbers are trivia. Obviously most WR do not perform at the level Diggs has for his first four games. I thought the data was laid out pretty nicely and saved me the trouble.

We could compare Diggs to the WR from 2014 that was exceptional for rookie WR performance I suppose.

Four games is a decent sample size to project from although 8 games would be better.

DIggs after four games has 207 offensive snaps 51.75 snaps/game 39 targets 9.75 tgt/game 25 receptions 6.25 rec/game 64% catch rate 419 receiving yards 104.75 yards/game 2.024 yards/offensive snap 2TD .5TD/game.

If I extrapolate these numbers over the next 9 weeks the end of season totals would be 87.75 targets 56 receptions 942 yards 4.5 TD adding that to what Diggs has accomplished so far would be

139.5 targets 81 receptions 1361 yards 6.5 TD

Watkins had 128 targets 65 receptions 982 yards 6 TD

Landry had 112 targets 84 receptions 758 yards 5 TD

Benjamin had 145 targets 73 receptions 1008 yards 9 TD

Evans had 122 targets 68 receptions 1051 yards 12 TD

Beckham 130 targets 91 receptions 1305 yards 13 TD

All of these players played in 16 games except for Evans (15) and Beckham (12)

The 2014 WR class has been considered the strongest group perhaps ever and Diggs compares favorably with the production of even the best of last seasons WR group.

Very nice work as always Biabreakable, thanks.

Just to add more data points, let's compare Diggs first four games in 2015 with those rookies (+ others) first four games in 2014 and Keenan two years ago:

Diggs 40 targets 25-419-2

Beckham 26 targets 18-307-2

Evans 27 targets 17-203-1

Benjamin 36 targets 21-329-3

Matthews 24 targets 15-141-2

Watkins 32 targets 17-197-2

Landry 18 targets 12-111-0

Hurns 24 targets 12-254-3

from 2013:

Allen 28 targets 22-244-0

LittlePhatty said:
Biabreakable said:
There's some strange number crunching in that article, putting his stats up against injured guys who aren't even playing, or are otherwise seeing very limited snap counts.But still, Diggs looks like the real deal I think. Bridgewater is my main concern. He's thrown a grand total of 6 TDs so far this year.
. 2 to Diggs. I don't think it's that big of a concern. He's not going to have blow-up games due to lack of high volume of passing, but he should be steady with 8-10 targets per week IMO.

Diggs was VERY lucky to get the points he did for us last week, almost didn't happen.

With that said I have some serious reservations about him this week over 3 other top 20 options I have against one of the best D's in the NFL in STL.

The only WR's that had a respectable game against them were AB 11/108 and James Jones who went 2/77/1, overall they've only allowed 3 WR TD's all year.

Diggs was VERY lucky to get the points he did for us last week, almost didn't happen.

With that said I have some serious reservations about him this week over 3 other top 20 options I have against one of the best D's in the NFL in STL.

The only WR's that had a respectable game against them were AB 11/108 and James Jones who went 2/77/1, overall they've only allowed 3 WR TD's all year.
Agreed. I'm seriously (crazily) thinking about swapping him out for Stevie Johnson this week. Were the game in STL I might have already done it.

I'm not sure anyone has had a good game against Denver, but Diggs scored 14.7 PPR points against them in the first game of his career.

I think the odds of him regressing to some extent are greater than him averaging 20PPG+ from here on out. His 20PPG currently ranks him as WR8 in PPR. Assuming the volume remains however, I think he's going to be very safe with a 10-15 point floor. He is at the very least seeing WR1 volume (currently tied with Sanders for 9th most targets per game [10]).

Everything he's done so far has been WR1 worthy from a fantasy perspective. Moving forward, as long as you treat him as a WR2 you probably won't be disappointed.

Agreed. I'm seriously (crazily) thinking about swapping him out for Stevie Johnson this week. Were the game in STL I might have already done it.
I guess the only counter point to my original argument is that the good passing O's they faced GB/AZ/PIT had reasonable outputs including John Brown and Fitz with 7 catches each for 75 and 99 respectively which I neglected to mentioned earlier. Of the other 4 teams, SEA/WAS/CLE/SF, Diggs is clearly better than any WR they have so it makes sense that these teams didn't put up good WR #'s.

He put up good numbers against a much better Denver defense. Relax. Diggs is no longer a matchup play. If you wouldn't sit Marshall or Evans or Cobb, then certainly don't sit Diggs.

I have been looking into the Rams defense statistically and they are very good. Similar to the Vikings defense in a lot of ways although I think the Rams have been better at stopping the run and the Rams also have more sacks than the Vikings do.The Rams are second to only Denver in sacks with 26 over 7 games or 3.7 sacks/game. The Vikings offensive line has been allowing a lot of pressure all season. Most recent game against the Bears is perhaps their best performance this year and I think that has more to do with Chicago lacking personnel and how they played more safe on defense trying to prevent the big play instead of selling out to stop the run.

That said I am not really impressed with the Rams corners. They are not as good as Denvers or KC's corners.

The Rams are doing something interesting because Ogletree is injured they have Mark Barron playing there instead. This means the Rams are playing 3 safeties on the majority of their snaps.

The pass rush of the Rams is most dangerous from the middle with Brockers and Donald and also Fairley playing in rotation. Robert Quinn leads the team in sacks. He played through an injury last week so I am not sure he is fully healthy.

The pass rush could sink the Vikings passing game and therefore Diggs production. The Rams defensive backs should be no more difficult than what Diggs has already faced though,so if Bridgewater can get a little time Diggs should be able to get open.

I have been looking into the Rams defense statistically and they are very good. Similar to the Vikings defense in a lot of ways although I think the Rams have been better at stopping the run and the Rams also have more sacks than the Vikings do.The Rams are second to only Denver in sacks with 26 over 7 games or 3.7 sacks/game. The Vikings offensive line has been allowing a lot of pressure all season. Most recent game against the Bears is perhaps their best performance this year and I think that has more to do with Chicago lacking personnel and how they played more safe on defense trying to prevent the big play instead of selling out to stop the run.

That said I am not really impressed with the Rams corners. They are not as good as Denvers or KC's corners.

The Rams are doing something interesting because Ogletree is injured they have Mark Barron playing there instead. This means the Rams are playing 3 safeties on the majority of their snaps.

The pass rush of the Rams is most dangerous from the middle with Brockers and Donald and also Fairley playing in rotation. Robert Quinn leads the team in sacks. He played through an injury last week so I am not sure he is fully healthy.

The pass rush could sink the Vikings passing game and therefore Diggs production. The Rams defensive backs should be no more difficult than what Diggs has already faced though,so if Bridgewater can get a little time Diggs should be able to get open.
This is interesting. Thanks for posting. Unless the Broncos have turned it up more than the last time they played Minny in Week 4 (possible) --Minn off line had their hands full in that game too but managed ok --

Stefon Diggs (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday.
Interesting that it's his hammy and not his knee. I'm still not legit worried yet.
Expected this. Hoping he's limited tomorrow. If he goes DNP & limited on Friday I'd be worried Charles will see more snaps. If he is limited & limited I'll be starting him.

Vets can skip Wed/Thu & still play Sunday. With a valuable rookie they might err on the side of caution. Just MHO, speculating, et al.

The injuries Diggs had in college was a ruptured spleen and a broken leg. These are not injuries that would concern me as far as a relapse or cascade type of injury. This was perhaps the best explanation for why Diggs was passed over in the draft until the 5th round. Is there more to his injury past that these two injuries?

Doing some digging (ha) I discovered he had an ankle injury that caused him to miss one game as a freshman.

There may be more injury issues than this that I don't know about. I do think the Vikings medical staff has a very good track record with rehabilitation and keeping players healthy, problems in the weight room aside.

Their pass rush is going to obliterate us. I don't see how our makeshift oline has any chance.
Just doing some reading and I guess Pro Football Focus has the Vikings offensive line ranked 14th in the league,

Along with my tanker load of salt I will say these rankings are relative and I have not taken the time to notice all the flaws in other teams offensive lines the way I have the Vikings.

I have seen a lot of mistakes by the Vikings line across the board. I would say this last week against the Bears was their best game of the season and that is due to the Bears defense not being good enough to run blitz the way Denver and KC did. Still it is nice to see them play well and that should help them build some confidence.

The Vikings keep making adjustments to improve the pass protection which is good to see.

Despite the offensive lines many flaws I think the Vikings have a good chance to win this game. If they fail it will likely be because of the offensive line.

Biabreakable said:
Thanks for posting that.

I don't watch a lot of press conferences and that was a good one. What surprised me is how honest Norv was with his strategies, what he saw, what they take advantage of. Insightful and interesting for me but probably dumb from a coaching perspective.

One other note. Norv sure is aging well and I'm being serious. I always felt bad for him with that crater face but the combination of age and not shaving has done him some favors.

Users who are viewing this thread