What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sterling Shepard, NYG (2 Viewers)

It sure seems like the Giants believe in him...

Giants signed WR Sterling Shepard to a four-year, $41 million extension. 

Shepard was in the final year of his rookie contract. With Odell Beckham gone, the Giants are counting on him as their new No. 1 receiver. This is a nice deal for Shepard — who gets $21.3 million guaranteed. His $10.25 million AAV places him in the top-20 among wideouts. Coming off career highs in catches (66) and yards (872), Shepard is a good bet for his first 1,000-yard season in 2019.
That's a bigger indictment than his numbers have been.  That's Tyrell Williams money, except he had even more leverage that Tyrell did.  Yuck.

Could be. That's the big question. Tate is 31, on his 3rd team in 2 years and didn't exactly light it up for the eagles but he could definitely overtake shepherd.  I am interested in whichever one eli feeds targets to. 
Rapport with a qb is huge....getting traded mid season and basically walking in off the streets im willing to give tate a mulligan on his time in philly....shepard vs tate as far as the nuiances of the position. Its not close....however eli maybe more comfortable with sterling...

Say what?
If that's the agreement of all they see him as worth and what his agent expects he could get on the open market, that's a huge indictment of his long-term potential.  I was pretty high on his breakout opportunity but this contract screams fantasy WR3 at best and NYG likely investing heavily in someone they believe can become a WR1 some day because they sure aren't paying him like they believe that's him.  Yikes.

If that's the agreement of all they see him as worth and what his agent expects he could get on the open market, that's a huge indictment of his long-term potential.  I was pretty high on his breakout opportunity but this contract screams fantasy WR3 at best and NYG likely investing heavily in someone they believe can become a WR1 some day because they sure aren't paying him like they believe that's him.  Yikes.
Eh, that's hardly a "yikes". Your previous comment contained questionable logic, though. Tyrell had much more leverage than Shepard, as Tyrell was on the open market*. It seems players who sign before the end of their contract often sign at a relative discount, so I think you are reading this the wrong way. However, I don't think anyone who drafted Shepard or traded for him expected him to be a WR1 someday. I think your assessment of a fantasy WR3 is very possibly accurate, although I'd contend the "at best" is an overstatement. As mentioned, he's clearly got WR2 upside at least for 2019 should he receive enough of OBJ's vacated targets. 

*It should also be noted that Tyrell's contract had only about half the guaranteed money that Shepard's did, and that should not be ignored. Tyrell's contract is actually much more akin to Funchess' contract than Shepard's. 

Feel free to carry whatever opinion you want about what a yikes is but it sure meets my criteria.  I did brainfart on the leverage aspect, but it doesn't change the fact he couldn't sniff top 15 WR money despite many of the lower ones being 3+ years old.  I don't think a single one of those guys went into a UFA year and they still all got that money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feel free to carry whatever opinion you want about what a yikes is but it sure meets my criteria.  I did brainfart on the leverage aspect, but it doesn't change the fact he couldn't sniff top 15 WR money despite many of the lower ones being 3+ years old.  I don't think a single one of those guys went into a UFA year and they still all got that money.
Who are you talking about?? Lockett signed a 3-year extension last year while still under contract and he got about the same as Shepard. Not sure who else you'd be referring to. Here is the list: https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

Again, nobody expected Shepard to get Devante Adams money. His contract correlates with WR2/WR3 money. Up until recently he's been carrying WR4 value (DLF has him at WR40), so I still don't see what there is to "yikes" about unless you were expecting WR1 money, which nobody else was expecting. For reference, he's still getting paid more than Tate who had free agent leverage, so that at least indicates he's the WR1 for 2019. And it's not like a contract locks someone into a specific role. Thielen's extension was less than $5M/year and he's been doing ok...

That's a bigger indictment than his numbers have been.  That's Tyrell Williams money, except he had even more leverage that Tyrell did.  Yuck.
He was in his final year and only had a million dollars owed to him.  That was the team's leverage - nobody else could increase his 2019 salary.  So he just signed a 3 year, 40 million dollar deal from 2020 to 3022 with 21.3 guaranteed.  That's a good deal. 

Funny stat from last year but the Giants averaged more yards per pass when Barkley wasn't on the field than when he was.  

ETA: I don't think that is predictive of anything and sample size, OBJ injury, game script could all play a factor but it is an interesting stat. 
Could just be that passes to Barkley were shorter than to everyone else.

Not much of predictive value in that one, imo, so I agree with your take.

Could just be that passes to Barkley were shorter than to everyone else.

Not much of predictive value in that one, imo, so I agree with your take.
Agreed. Although it does call into the question the value of a RB even as good as SB. Sure he is good in the passing game but does a team really want to be throwing 120 passes to a RB? That probably isn't the most efficient offensive structure. 

bostonfred said:
He was in his final year and only had a million dollars owed to him.  That was the team's leverage - nobody else could increase his 2019 salary.  So he just signed a 3 year, 40 million dollar deal from 2020 to 3022 with 21.3 guaranteed.  That's a good deal. 
I can't find a good breakdown of the contract, but I believe his 2019 salary stays the same (although whatever signing bonus would obviously be applicable, after pro-rated, to this year's cap hit) because he signed a 4-year $41M extension (with $21.3M guaranteed). So I think he's actually signed through 2023, not 2022. But until I see the actual details, I can't be sure. 

As I was writing this I was able to find an article (linked above) which also indicates 2023, implying it was a 4 year extension.

Agreed. Although it does call into the question the value of a RB even as good as SB. Sure he is good in the passing game but does a team really want to be throwing 120 passes to a RB? That probably isn't the most efficient offensive structure. 
It's been a pretty effective strategy for the Pats.

Fact or Fiction: Who's looking good at OTAs?

Excerpt:

2. Wide receiver Sterling Shepard was the offensive standout.

Schmeelk: Fact -- I’m wowed every day by Saquon Barkley’s explosive, shifty, and elusive athleticism but during OTA’s, it is always going to be a receiver. Shepard has proven hard to cover for every cornerback out there. Shepard has an advantage with the defensive backs being unable to put their hands on him at the line of scrimmage, which allows him to show off his route running and change of direction ability. I also want to give a special mention to Daniel Jones, who has thrown a nice ball and spirals in windy conditions.

Salomone: Fiction – Evan Engram has to be exciting Giants fans. Hampered by injuries, his numbers dipped in his sophomore season, but the tight end finished strong with 22 catches for 320 yards and a touchdown in his final four games. He looks confident this spring as he heads into his third season, the second in Pat Shurmur’s offense. His numbers should rebound and then some.

Medow: Fact -- Sterling Shepard is clearly looking to establish himself as the number one wideout and a player who can be just as much a threat on the outside as he is in the slot. Shepard hauled in numerous deep balls during practice and provided several explosive plays for this week’s highlight reel.

Sterling Shepard (left thumb) is getting an X-ray on his left thumb.

He suffered the injury on Thursday at practice and hopefully he didn't break anything. Shepard earned a four-year contract extension this offseason and he'll be looking at a bigger role with Odell Beckham Jr. out of town. Assuming he's OK, he'll have a shot at a 1,000-yard season as a low-end WR3 with upside.

SOURCE: Giants on Twitter

Jul 25, 2019, 5:40 PM ET

He fractured his thumb
Rotoworld take:

Sterling Shepard was diagnosed with a thumb fracture.

What a start. Shepard will be evaluated on a week-to-week basis, bringing his availability in New York's regular season opener at Dallas into question. Corey Coleman will be the direct beneficiary for the recently re-signed 26-year-old for the time being, but Evan Engram would be the player to own if Shepard's injury lingers into Week 1. It's now of utmost importance that spring standouts Alonzo Russell and rookie Darius Slayton develop quickly throughout August.

SOURCE: New York Giants on Twitter

Jul 25, 2019, 6:00 PM ET

Welp.  

He was neck and neck with Dede Westbrook and Marvin Jones in my eyes.  This helps clear up that line.

having fractured my right thumb 4 times.. my experience is this should be a pain tolerance thing.

prevented me from doing about nothing. 

some things just hurt more.

having fractured my right thumb 4 times.. my experience is this should be a pain tolerance thing.

prevented me from doing about nothing. 

some things just hurt more.
I saw your next post but I still agree. He was our there today practicing with the glove, no reason to believe he won't be ready week 1, might even be a nice discount with Tate out and people believing Shep will miss a game or two

Sterling Shepard (thumb) has been cleared to participate in live drills.

Shepard was wearing a non-contact jersey and only made one-hand catches, but this is another good sign. The Giants can't afford any setbacks to Shepard with Golden Tate suspended the first four games. Shepard is unlikely to see any preseason snaps, but he has a good chance to be ready for the opener.

SOURCE: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

Jul 31, 2019, 5:04 PM ET

Are people really bailing on him for random, even known late 2020 2nds?  I’m certainly not arguing for him as some great asset, but man if that’s all a guaranteed WR3 with WR2 upside costs (PPR), that seems a steal to me

Are people really bailing on him for random, even known late 2020 2nds?  I’m certainly not arguing for him as some great asset, but man if that’s all a guaranteed WR3 with WR2 upside costs (PPR), that seems a steal to me
Give me the 2020.  I prefer the unknown to the guy on a ####ty offense with limited or no upside.  We've seen what he is, and that's no changing.

Give me the 2020.  I prefer the unknown to the guy on a ####ty offense with limited or no upside.  We've seen what he is, and that's no changing.
Well, there is something that's changed on his team which opens up a ton of targets.

I can see an 88-1125-7 statline without squinting too hard.

Well, there is something that's changed on his team which opens up a ton of targets.

I can see an 88-1125-7 statline without squinting too hard.
You tell me who gets the lion's share of the targets between Shepard/Tate/Engram when all three are on the field at the same time, and you will have told me who is the #2 target on a terrible offense.

You tell me who gets the lion's share of the targets between Shepard/Tate/Engram when all three are on the field at the same time, and you will have told me who is the #2 target on a terrible offense.
I don't believe that Barkley is going to lead the Giants in targets (but sure he'll see a lot) - and the last four weeks without OBJ last season Manning put up 1,036 yards and 6 TDs. I don't think the Giants are going to be a great offense but I'm not so sure they'll be terrible either as their o-line is getting better as well.

I would buy Shepard for a late second and feel good about it. He's still only 26 years old.

I don't believe that Barkley is going to lead the Giants in targets (but sure he'll see a lot) - and the last four weeks without OBJ last season Manning put up 1,036 yards and 6 TDs. I don't think the Giants are going to be a great offense but I'm not so sure they'll be terrible either as their o-line is getting better as well.

I would buy Shepard for a late second and feel good about it. He's still only 26 years old.
Agreed. If I didn’t already own him in dynasty, I’d be sending out that offer right now. 

well I got this return for him, I'm ecstatic about it.....I didn't have a 2020 2nd rounder, I don't care if its 2.12....
Glad I could help.  Lol. 

The guy has averaged 12.4 PPG the past 2 seasons where he played a full game making him a WR3 in a 12 team league.  Top 35 WR.  If I drafted that in the late 2nd of a rookie draft, Id be ecstatic.  Now add in his age (26) and an uptick in targets and Im even more ok giving up a late 2nd.  

I think if you were going to trade him, you should have waited until Week 3 or 4 after he is healthy and has a double digit game.

Glad I could help.  Lol. 

The guy has averaged 12.4 PPG the past 2 seasons where he played a full game making him a WR3 in a 12 team league.  Top 35 WR.  If I drafted that in the late 2nd of a rookie draft, Id be ecstatic.  Now add in his age (26) and an uptick in targets and Im even more ok giving up a late 2nd.  

I think if you were going to trade him, you should have waited until Week 3 or 4 after he is healthy and has a double digit game.
well....that leagur has shallow benches and he a frustrating player to own...high floor low upside....

well....that leagur has shallow benches and he a frustrating player to own...high floor low upside....
Highly regarded prospect who ran a 4.48 with a 7.00 3 cone and ran good routes.  He rocketed up draft boards as a rookie based on talk that he looked as good as obj.  

Just signed to an early extension when they could have let him play the year out on his rookie contract. They gave him an 8 million dollar raise this year to get him signed now. I don't see any explanation for that other than they expect his price to go up by the end of this year.  

Finally gets to be the wr1 for a quarterback who - despite his flaws - has produced stud wr1 seasons from obj, cruz, nicks and the other Steve Smith.  

He should get a big bump in targets and have a chance to establish himself as the clear top guy with tate out until October and nobody else at the wr position. 

Yet he will probably face exclusively single coverage because Barkley will draw one safety and engram will likely be covered by the other.  

If you held him this long why would you sell him cheap now?

I like Shephard but he’s exactly the kind of guy who’s good enough to help you make the playoffs but not win a championship.

If he drops far enough because of his thumb, he makes a good insurance policy in your flex spot.

Definitely wouldn’t want him as a weekly starter though.

I like Shephard but he’s exactly the kind of guy who’s good enough to help you make the playoffs but not win a championship.

If he drops far enough because of his thumb, he makes a good insurance policy in your flex spot.

Definitely wouldn’t want him as a weekly starter though.
I think it just depends on starting requirements. I’m in a dynasty that starts 2 RB, 3 WR, and 2 Flex. Most teams start 2 or 3 RBs and 4 or 5 WRs. As a WR4 or WR5, you can do worse. 

Users who are viewing this thread