What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tim Patrick, DEN (1 Viewer)

Denver has possibly the deepest set of skill players in the league at WR/RB/TE. If they got better qb play, it would be a fun offense. 

Tim Patrick caught all four of his targets for 39 yards and a touchdown in the Broncos' Week 1 win against the Giants.

Patrick's touchdown came on a play-action fake at the goal-line. The 2020 breakout tied for third in targets behind Noah Fant (8) and Jerry Jeudy (7). With Jeudy likely to miss multiple games after getting carted off with an ankle injury, Patrick is one of this week's top waiver adds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Patrick is going to be money going forward for Denver. I am not sure FF value for this team because Denver has so much offensive depth. 

Added him for free during waivers this week because of the Juedy injury and not sold on Sutton being 100%. What is everyone's thoughts on him moving forward, has the attributes. 

Added him for free during waivers this week because of the Juedy injury and not sold on Sutton being 100%. What is everyone's thoughts on him moving forward, has the attributes. 
Did the exact same thing. I don't like wasting waiver claims on marginal WRs, but based on last year he would seem to have a decent floor. Briefly debated him vs. Hamler, but I just feel like I've seen it more from Patrick, plus he would seem to be a better fit with Teddy's short-passing game.

Meanwhile, I'm hearing reports that Hamler will be taking over for Jeudy in the slot. Any Broncos homers know what that means in terms of their likely formations? How often do they run 3 WR sets? What was the snap count like after Jeudy went down (I know it was relatively late)? Also, it seems a little weird to think that Hamler could simultaneously be the slot guy and the deep threat. Am I missing something here?

I suspect we probably overthink this formation stuff most of the time -- the best WRs will ultimately get the most targets, regardless of where they line up -- but I'm still curious as to whether we can glean any insights.

Jeudy owner here. Back in the saddle with Patrick in the meantime. 
Slightly off-topic but I'm curious: Do you have an IR slot? If not, did you drop Jeudy? I did because that injury looked nasty enough to me that I don't see him coming back at full health and being a usable fantasy starter until very late in the season, if at all.

Dropped Mosthurt for him.   Not sure I can play ahead of Higgins, M. Brown, McLaurin --but hopes this continues to develop well

Slightly off-topic but I'm curious: Do you have an IR slot? If not, did you drop Jeudy? I did because that injury looked nasty enough to me that I don't see him coming back at full health and being a usable fantasy starter until very late in the season, if at all.
No IR slot. I did drop Jeudy to pick up Patrick. Short bench and while I'd love to believe Jeudy will come back a stud around week 8, I don't see him getting in the groove again until Week 12 at the earliest. 

Liked him enough to go 4% in re-draft.  Could have had him for free.

Went upside heavy in the back half of the draft (Callaway, R. Moore, Marshall, Bry Edwards).   Lost Jeudy and it looks like it might take at least a few weeks before I can feel good about starting any of the rookies.   Love the floor and I think there's a real chance that Teddy peppers him with targets while Jeudy is out.   Planning to start.

Did the exact same thing. I don't like wasting waiver claims on marginal WRs, but based on last year he would seem to have a decent floor. Briefly debated him vs. Hamler, but I just feel like I've seen it more from Patrick, plus he would seem to be a better fit with Teddy's short-passing game.

Meanwhile, I'm hearing reports that Hamler will be taking over for Jeudy in the slot. Any Broncos homers know what that means in terms of their likely formations? How often do they run 3 WR sets? What was the snap count like after Jeudy went down (I know it was relatively late)? Also, it seems a little weird to think that Hamler could simultaneously be the slot guy and the deep threat. Am I missing something here?

I suspect we probably overthink this formation stuff most of the time -- the best WRs will ultimately get the most targets, regardless of where they line up -- but I'm still curious as to whether we can glean any insights.

Would be interested in this as well. Snap share between Patrick v Hamler after the Juedy injury. 

No IR slot. I did drop Jeudy to pick up Patrick. Short bench and while I'd love to believe Jeudy will come back a stud around week 8, I don't see him getting in the groove again until Week 12 at the earliest. 
We're on the same page. That scenario would presumably be good news for Patrick, at least.

Tim Patrick caught 5-of-5 targets for 98 yards in the Broncos' Week 3 win over the Jets. 

Patrick paced the Broncos in receiving on an afternoon where they lost KJ Hamler to a knee injury. He now has eight catches for 135 yards and a touchdown in two games since the Broncos lost Jerry Jeudy to a high-ankle sprain, and that is with non-competitive game flow where Denver did not have to force the issue and dial up pass attempts. Like teammate Courtland Sutton, 6-foot-4 Patrick has elite body control, especially near the sideline. He will continue to offer WR4 juice as long as Jeudy as sidelined, including in Week 4 against the Ravens' struggling secondary.

Grabbing this guy wherever he's still available.  Bridgewater throwing it downfield as well as anyone yet really hasn't had to...until this week!

Hamler out for the year. Even more target share coming his way. Jeudy probably not back in full swing until week 10-11. Giddy up. 

That seems like a pretty aggressive time table for a HAS. And Patrick did not have anywhere near the day I thought he would.
Bridgewater got knocked out with a concussion. Drew Lock in means all of Denver offense needs to be faded. 

True.  Assume Teddy misses one game at most though.  
Hard to predict anything when it comes to concussions.

But agree that Denver's offense is likely a stay-away with Lock at QB, especially against Pitt. Unfortunately, with all my injuries at WR I will still probably have to start Patrick (other options are Aiyuk, Fuller and Renfrow in a non-PPR)

Tim Patrick caught three of six targets for 39 yards in the Broncos' Week 4 loss to the Ravens. 

Outside of a 19-yard sideline reception in the first half from Teddy Bridgewater, Patrick was invisible in Denver's offense. This is Patrick's first truly down game of 2021. He caught a touchdown in each of the Broncos' first two games, then racked up 98 yards on five receptions in Week 3. Drew Lock, who came in for the concussed Teddy Bridgewater, may have had something to do with that. Patrick will be a borderline fantasy option if Bridgewater can't suit up in Week 5 against Pittsburgh.

Should've benched him tonight. He almost salvaged it with a TD but got pushed out before he could get the 2nd foot down. 

Wondering how he will be with Jeudy returning. 

Should've benched him tonight. He almost salvaged it with a TD but got pushed out before he could get the 2nd foot down. 

Wondering how he will be with Jeudy returning. 
I have been riding him in 14-team redraft thanks to a lot of back half draft picks that didn't pan out.   As you said, this came close to working out last night, but no catches until the 4th quarter and now a couple of dud games mixed in with his consistent double-digit performance.    I think I can probably move on with Jeudy coming back.   I fully expect Patrick to continue to drive Sutton and Jeudy managers nuts with the TD vultures.  He really seems like the first read whenever they get down in the red zone, and that was also true when Lock was at the wheel, or at least it sure felt like it whenever I was hoping for a Sutton score.

He's very middle of the road if that.  Frankly, only the desperate start him.  After the bye weeks I can see him hitting the waiver wire in a lot of shallow leagues.

I initially picked him up as a Jeudy replacement and have been pretty happy with his production (at least before last night). I'll keep him on my bench for another week or two after Jeudy gets back and see how he does, but most likely end up moving on.

Same snap count and targets as Sutton, but just 2 catches --didn't see the game though --

Same snap count and targets as Sutton, but just 2 catches --didn't see the game though --
I think it is pretty clear what you have with Patrick.  An occasional good game that you can never trust.  I prefer rostering potential future lottery tickets instead.  There will always be a Tim Patrick on the waiver wire that you can pickup for a one week start in a pinch.

I think it is pretty clear what you have with Patrick.  An occasional good game that you can never trust.  I prefer rostering potential future lottery tickets instead.  There will always be a Tim Patrick on the waiver wire that you can pickup for a one week start in a pinch.
It's a good strategy and one I like to try and strive for. I like to pick these type of players off the waiver and see if they have some success and then try to flip them for a draft pick or an upside young player.

I'm starting to wonder if any Denver WR is going to have much value going forward. Teddy's play is deteriorating, and if he gets replaced by Drew Lock, it could get even worse. Yes, both Lock and Teddy have supported viable fantasy WRs in the past even while playing like dog crap, just saying we shouldn't necessarily assume past is prologue for Denver ROS. Things can definitely get worse.

Tim Patrick caught 4-of-5 targets for 85 yards and one touchdown in the Broncos' Week 9 win over the Cowboys.

Patrick led the Broncos in receiving in this one and made his big play by getting behind the Dallas defense for a 44-yard touchdown in the second quarter. Patrick's five targets tied for second on the team behind Jerry Jeudy's eight, but Patrick did leave the game in the second quarter after grabbing his left knee. The Broncos never announced an injury, though. An every-down wideout in the Denver offense, Patrick is averaging over 14 yards per catch on the year and is a big-play threat in a low-volume pass offense. He'll be a WR3/4 next week against the Eagles.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Broncos signed Tim Patrick to a three-year, $34.5 million extension through 2024.

The deal is reportedly worth "up to" $34.5 million, so the real number will likely be lower than that. It does include $18.5 million guaranteed, however. That is a nice payday for a player who entered the league as an undrafted free agent and was playing 2021 on a second-round tender. This move is an interesting tea leaf considering Courtland Sutton is scheduled to be a free agent following the season. It is possible Denver wants to keep the entire receiver room together, but this deal could also hint Sutton will be allowed to test the market next spring. 

RELATED: 

Courtland Sutton

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Nov 19, 2021, 4:29 PM ET

NFL Network’s James Palmer said multiple people in the Broncos’ building believe Tim Patrick is “the best football player” in the team’s wide receiver room.

Palmer noted that Patrick’s return from a torn ACL may be the biggest boost for Russell Wilson in his second season as a Bronco. Patrick went down with the season-ending knee injury at the beginning of training camp last year but was cleared in April and was a full participant in minicamp. Though Patrick doesn’t have the pedigree of his fellow Denver receivers, he was quietly a productive member of the offense in 2020 and 2021. He topped 50 receptions and 700 yards in both seasons. He will be competing with Marvin Mims for WR3 duties during training camp.

Why do I find this so funny. I'm assuming "multiple people in the bronco's building" is in fact Tim Patrick's parents.
Have you even seen him play? The dude's solid.

Also, the article specifically says best "football player."

To most football observers that always implies a combination of toughness, physicality, competitiveness, catches in traffic, "my ball" mentality, etc.

So the claim is actually very believable from that standpoint, compared to Jeudy, Sutton, Mims and Hamler.

Yeah, he's not a bad WR but this offense gives no hint of overwhelming passing success to float anything but one of Jeudy/Sutton on a weekly basis depending on the defense they're facing.

Yeah, he's not a bad WR but this offense gives no hint of overwhelming passing success to float anything but one of Jeudy/Sutton on a weekly basis depending on the defense they're facing.
I believe Patrick will outperform Sutton in fantasy next season, which still may not rise nearly to a level of overwhelming success.

I know Sutton and Juedy have both said they've been watching cutups of Thomas but IMO it's Patrick whose role in this offense I view as most similar to Coltson/Thomas and of course that kind of role, the big slot, is the role that WR's have had the most success in Payton's offense. My belief is if Patricks not the one with this role it's going to be Dulchich.

####

Feel so bad for the guy, at least he got paid first. He and Sterling Shepard are sadly competing to be the unluckiest player in the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread