What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyler Johnson, HOU (1 Viewer)

As a Gopher fan, I was shocked to see him drop so far. Dude is a gamer. When the Patriots and that hodgepodge of WRs took a kicker before Johnson I really couldn’t believe it. Lots of mouths to feed in Tampa but I think he will definitely stick and eventually be productive. 

I think this dude could make a pretty good Wes Welker/Julian Edelman for Brady. He's pretty boss against the zone.

I think this dude could make a pretty good Wes Welker/Julian Edelman for Brady. He's pretty boss against the zone.
If Brady had Evans/Godwin level WR's back in the day there would be no such thing as a Welker/Edelman type.  I'm a huge Tyler Johnson fan but this situation is a death knell.  His only chance is that they can't afford to keep Godwin past his rookie deal.

If Brady had Evans/Godwin level WR's back in the day there would be no such thing as a Welker/Edelman type.  I'm a huge Tyler Johnson fan but this situation is a death knell.  His only chance is that they can't afford to keep Godwin past his rookie deal.
Welker went for 112-1175-8 the year Moss went for 98-1493-23...not directed towards Johnson but that Edelman and Welker are not legit

Last edited by a moderator:
Justin Watson and Scotty Miller die and I didn't know it? Johnson has to worry about at least Miller (Watson profiles more of an outside guy) before penciling him in for a spot. Not to mention Godwin himself will probably see more slot reps.

Welker went for 112-1175-8 the year Moss went for 98-1493-23...not directed towards Johnson but that Edelman and Welker are not legit
So between those two you're just over Evans and Godwin output.  Who was the next WR for the NEP that year?  Stallworth 687/3 and Gafney with 449/5.  Ben Watson 389/6 and Faulk 383/1 were the only others over 100.  That's my point - he didn't have a second WR the stature of (whoever you want to call their 2nd best guy) to compete with.

Johnson still has to get by Gronk, Howard, and Brate as established targets, and there are still others lurking as well.  Oh, and some RB's - Brady does kinda like throwing to those a bit more than 2007.

So between those two you're just over Evans and Godwin output.  Who was the next WR for the NEP that year?  Stallworth 687/3 and Gafney with 449/5.  Ben Watson 389/6 and Faulk 383/1 were the only others over 100.  That's my point - he didn't have a second WR the stature of (whoever you want to call their 2nd best guy) to compete with.

Johnson still has to get by Gronk, Howard, and Brate as established targets, and there are still others lurking as well.  Oh, and some RB's - Brady does kinda like throwing to those a bit more than 2007.
As stated I was not saying anything about Johnson (or how Tampa's O will be played) but the fact you dismissed Welker and Edelman types...it is not a fluke they had these type of WRs as it was a major part of how they have played offense during the BB/Brady era.

Boston said:
As stated I was not saying anything about Johnson (or how Tampa's O will be played) but the fact you dismissed Welker and Edelman types...it is not a fluke they had these type of WRs as it was a major part of how they have played offense during the BB/Brady era.
Its not unheard of with Bruce Arians either. Fitzgerald and Ward.

Boston said:
You're missing the point.  Welker/Edelman are 40/450/3 guys if Brady had had Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald to throw to.

You're missing the point.  Welker/Edelman are 40/450/3 guys if Brady had had Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald to throw to.
I am not missing the point...if you have two of the top 5 WRs in the history of the game then yes, their numbers would probably take a hit (but they would still have been very effective) as would almost every WR who has ever played in the NFL...the reality is outside of having a WR corps that would be a rarity in the history of the game the Pats built their offense around having Welker/Edelman type of WRs and did so very successfully...and yes, if Welker or Edelman were playing with Godwin and Evans Brady would still be targeting them a lot just like he did with Moss on 2007...his 20 year history in the NFL reflects that.

See now if you're talking outside receiver, Justin Watson says hi. He's going to have to beat out receivers just as talented wherever he lines up.
I expect Johnson to strictly be a slot player.  Godwin ran the majority of his snaps from the slot in 2019.  They may intend to move Godwin outside more this year? 

I expect Johnson to strictly be a slot player.  Godwin ran the majority of his snaps from the slot in 2019.  They may intend to move Godwin outside more this year? 
They will play him more slot, but if the go 2 TE that means less slot reps all around, plus Scotty Miller mans the slot normally and he's well liked by Arians. Johnson will probably do little this year (outside of an injury to another WR), then come on later in the season.

See now if you're talking outside receiver, Justin Watson says hi. He's going to have to beat out receivers just as talented wherever he lines up.
Never heard of him

I am guessing he didn't have as productive a college career as Tyler Johnson who can play outside as well.

:blackdot:

Grabbed this guy late in one of my dynasties after being impressed with his college production.  Hoping he gets a shot.

Buccaneers signed fifth-round WR Tyler Johnson to a four-year contract.

Johnson (6’1/206) was a three-year starting slot receiver for the Gophers with nice hands and size. He posted back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons as a junior and senior and holds the Gophers’ career record for receiving yards (3,305) and touchdowns (33). On tape, he uses his hands very well and makes plays in traffic, but he isn't a natural separator and has below-average burst. Despite the record-breaking production, Johnson wasn’t invited to the Senior Bowl, a sign the NFL had little interest in him throughout the draft process. He was also dinged by scouts for not competing, by choice, at the NFL Combine. The Bucs are a great landing spot in that Johnson gets to learn from Tom Brady, but his early career path to targets is completely blocked by the prodigious talent in front of him.

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

Jul 20, 2020, 11:32 AM ET

Bucs fifth-round WR Tyler Johnson is sitting out training camp with a “soft-tissue” injury.

This likely ends Johnson’s chances of beating out Scotty Miller for the No .3 role. Johnson was hyped by the Bucs this offseason after a prolific career playing out of the slot. There’s time for him to return before Week 1, but he’s missing valuable reps.

RELATED: 

Scotty Miller

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times

Aug 14, 2020, 6:02 PM ET

Bucs WR Tyler Johnson returned to practice.

Coach Bruce Arians said Johnson "missed a ton" while sitting out with a soft-tissue injury. Johnson had been hyped as a sleeper for slot targets before going down. He now looks destined to open the year behind Scotty Miller and Justin Watson.

RELATED: 

Scotty Miller

, Justin Watson

SOURCE: bucs.com

Aug 21, 2020, 6:08 PM ET

Before I get excited, what's the best case for this guy realistically? With their talent at TE you'd have to think TB runs a lot of 12 personnel or lines Gronk up in the slot. 

Before I get excited, what's the best case for this guy realistically? With their talent at TE you'd have to think TB runs a lot of 12 personnel or lines Gronk up in the slot. 
I don’t think you can expect anything in redraft. Unless there’s a major injury or 2. He’s a dynasty play. Pray that Godwin signs elsewhere after the year.

Some clown named Grayson had one doink off his face mask. Watson got hurt. Miller dropped an easy TD. 

Johnson may get a shot here fairly soon. 

Johnson had one target against Denver. Hit him directly in the hands and was dropped. 

I hope the offensive coaching staff is smart enough to get the TEs more involved versus scraping the bottom of their WR barrel. Johnson isn’t ready yet. 

Godwin is out a few weeks and Miller missed practice today (though doesn’t necessarily sound like he’s out Sunday).  They had been using Godwin heavily out of the slot with Miller out wide. Does that now continue with Johnson getting a chance in the slot?

Arians says Tyler Johnson could be counted on a little more
Here’s the full quote from Arians:

"It's the 'next man up' at that position," Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians said. "We've got guys. Tyler [Johnson] got his first action last week, he's had a couple good weeks of practice. We've got Justin [Watson] back, who's had a heck of a camp. It's not like we're empty. So we've got enough guys -- [Jaydon] Mickens, [Cyril] Grayson -- we've got enough guys to fill the void at wide receiver. I'm not as concerned with that as I would be if we lost one more."

I found it interesting that in his first game, Johnson saw 21 snaps to Miller’s 29. Now Godwin, who played 55 snaps, is out a few weeks. 

Really odd considering he didn’t have a single official target per any box score or stats I’ve seen.
Maybe the play was called back due to penalty or something?

Disheartening to hear Johnson dropped his only chance so far this year to do something.

Nothing but the best wishes for Johnson. Reading the tea leaves he hasn't been putting his best foot forward at every phase of the pre draft process. 1st he wont play the shrine game, then he wont do drills at the combine. Him not wanting to compete, that bothers me.

I know he can catch the ball well though. That shouldn't be a problem for him. 

Really odd considering he didn’t have a single official target per any box score or stats I’ve seen.
There was a holding penalty on the play. Brady looked unpleased after it clanked off his hands. 

ETA: Tampa is currently second Worst in the NFL so far with 7 drops. 

I don't expect much from Johnson.  Greg Ward is probably better and that isn't saying a whole lot.  Rashod Bateman was better than Johnson and it isn't close.

Johnson's specialty in college was winning 50/50 balls.  Tom Brady isn't super keen on throwing 50/50 balls.  Ask Mike Evans.

Johnson's specialty in college was winning 50/50 balls.  Tom Brady isn't super keen on throwing 50/50 balls.  Ask Mike Evans.
While I agree Johnson was a good contested catch WR for the Gophers the main thing he did for them was move the chains by executing unstoppable slant routes which should be right in Bradys wheel house. 

While I agree Johnson was a good contested catch WR for the Gophers the main thing he did for them was move the chains by executing unstoppable slant routes which should be right in Bradys wheel house. 
True.  With Godwin out and Watson a little dinged he may be able to steal some slot snaps. 

Personally, I wish Arians were smart enough to let one of his multimillion dollar TEs run some routes from the slot instead of scraping the bottom of the roster for WRs.  He isn't though.

Miller wasn’t at the start of practice today, though he may participate some toward the end. 

If Miller is out, they will have Evans, TEs, and Johnson, Watson, etc. 

Would like to see what Johnson can do but Brady and rookie WRs are not typically a good match.

Tyler Johnson caught 4-of-6 targets for 61 yards in the Bucs' Week 5 loss to the Bears. 

The No. 161 overall pick of the draft, Johnson had yet to be targeted this season. He was thrust into action because of Chris Godwin and Justin Watson's absences, while Mike Evans and Scotty Miller were both playing at less than 100 percent. A record-setting producer at the University of Minnesota, Johnson was not regarded as a high-end athlete in this year's draft. Johnson probably doesn't have much of a Dynasty league future. 

- Rotoworld

Users who are viewing this thread