What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyrell Williams, DET - 9.22.21 - Concussion - Unlikely To Play Week 3 (3 Viewers)

If your team is in need of a higher floor guy, choose Eli over Tyrell.  I like the E. Sanders comparison above. Steady but not spectacular....although will have his

If you need a High Ceiling guy, Tyrell seems to be the man. Although the bust factor is there. I'm thinking DeSean Jackson numbers. a few 25+ point games with an equal amount of 6 point games.
Good evaluation and insight!

Am I crazy to consider dropping Tyler Lockett (redraft, 10-team, 0.5ppr, return yardage league) for Tyrell Williams?

Lockett is way safer, but he's my WR5 (start 3) and I'm drooling over TWill's upside right now.

Who is the better Ty???
I'm in a return league that has keepers and a guy actually used a keeper on Lockett. I didn't get that when I saw it. Maybe he will get some good return yardage maybe?

So if Williams performs, will he just get the Allen routes with Benjamin in more of complimentary role. How do we see a waterbug like Benjamin and a tall fast target like Williams working together?

So if Williams performs, will he just get the Allen routes with Benjamin in more of complimentary role. How do we see a waterbug like Benjamin and a tall fast target like Williams working together?
Initially (going into the regular season) I figured Williams would work his way into being the Floyd replacement this year. I don't know how comfortable they'll be throwing him into Allen's role right away. Seemed like last week their adjustment was to put Benjamin outside where Allen was (X), bring Inman inside (Y) and then have somebody else work the other outside spot (Z) - sometimes that was Williams. Maybe they flip that after a week of preparation, maybe not. I guess it'll depend on how comfortable they are with Williams picking up some of Allen's shorter routes across the middle, etc.

I think the place Williams will come to more prominence is in the redzone. I'd expect him to pick up a lot of the targets that would have gone Allen's way in those situations.

Great analysis and what I was looking for. Thanks! Basically in a league with deep rosters I own both Benjamin/Williams and trying to figure out if Williams may be good enough where I should trade Benjamin.

I did something silimar, but I also picked up Inman for free because we don't know how things will shake out between them.
I got him for $10. Second best bid was $8. That owner is offering me $20 now. I think I might take it and just add Inman for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I got him for $10 and second bid was $5. Hope the kid pans out but I needed some WR help. 
Hated to see him go, but a quick double up of FAB money seemed worth it.  He's got a ton of takent but also didn't do much in college and isn't likely to be much more than Malcom Floyd 2.0. That's nice but not really a reliable start.

Hated to see him go, but a quick double up of FAB money seemed worth it.  He's got a ton of takent but also didn't do much in college and isn't likely to be much more than Malcom Floyd 2.0. That's nice but not really a reliable start.
I have a feeling you are going to regret this decision.

any local word on snap count? Technically he's not starting. With his ypc, it looks like he might not need starter snaps to produce though.

I don't think it is true that he didn't do much in college. But he played in a small Division II school, Western Oregon.  He was first team all conference player three years. So that tells me he was a pretty successful player at his level. Sometimes those small school players get overlooked and that is why they go undrafted and sometimes they can take a bit longer to adjust to NFL.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2015/03/scouting-report-tyrell-williams-wr.html

Sounds like his last year in college, in 10 games he had 56 receptions for 950 yards, which is almost 17 ypc, and 8 TDs. 

Guy in m,y league blew over half his budget on Williams(He was the Allen owner) which is a bit too much for an unproven player. I hope he does bust out,as Rivers is my starting QB..I don't see Williams putting up anything close to what Allen did and agree with a few of you,that he will be more like M Floyd,and put up numbers like him and have a few big games mixed in...The beginning of the year is where you get the best shot at break out WR,but just can't see spending half your budget in week 1 on someone who isn't a sure thing. I guess loosing your WR1 with make people do desperate things. Inman has a good shot at producing similar #'s to Williams and he could of got him for free!  But I do think Williams has much more upside.Just not 50% of your budget upside.

Guy in m,y league blew over half his budget on Williams(He was the Allen owner) which is a bit too much for an unproven player. I hope he does bust out,as Rivers is my starting QB..I don't see Williams putting up anything close to what Allen did and agree with a few of you,that he will be more like M Floyd,and put up numbers like him and have a few big games mixed in...The beginning of the year is where you get the best shot at break out WR,but just can't see spending half your budget in week 1 on someone who isn't a sure thing. I guess loosing your WR1 with make people do desperate things. Inman has a good shot at producing similar #'s to Williams and he could of got him for free!  But I do think Williams has much more upside.Just not 50% of your budget upside.
Some Allen owners are assuming this guy will step in and give them 80% of what Allen provides which is obviously a mistake. As an Allen owner his lost doesn't kill my starting lineup as I had Fitz on the bench but it did deplete my depth in a PPR. I picked up Williams but more of a wait and see bench stash along with Kerley.

I don't think it is true that he didn't do much in college. But he played in a small Division II school, Western Oregon.  He was first team all conference player three years. So that tells me he was a pretty successful player at his level. Sometimes those small school players get overlooked and that is why they go undrafted and sometimes they can take a bit longer to adjust to NFL.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2015/03/scouting-report-tyrell-williams-wr.html

Sounds like his last year in college, in 10 games he had 56 receptions for 950 yards, which is almost 17 ypc, and 8 TDs. 
When you look at the numbers as a % of the offense, he wasn't exactly dominating. The team had 3405 yards and 29 TDs his last year. He was outshines by a guy named Paul Revis who had 1149 and 11 while also averaging 17 ypr.

When you look at the numbers as a % of the offense, he wasn't exactly dominating. The team had 3405 yards and 29 TDs his last year. He was outshines by a guy named Paul Revis who had 1149 and 11 while also averaging 17 ypr.
I don't think I can tell how good or bad a player is just by looking at box score though.  There's many of reasons a player won't produce in college that have nothing to do with the player. Heck, sometimes people are just better suited for the college game.  Having said that, I've never actually watched Tyrell Williams run a route.  I just picked him up for $1 while other people blew half their blind bid money on guys like Sanu.  He has the highest ceiling of the WR available this week, sans Will Fuller, but also has the lowest floor.

He has #1WR upside for the rest of the year. Can't get much higher upside than that. I agree though that he's a longshot to hit that ceiling. I don't think SD brought in another WR yet though........they must think their WR core can handle the job..........

I don't think I can tell how good or bad a player is just by looking at box score though.  There's many of reasons a player won't produce in college that have nothing to do with the player. Heck, sometimes people are just better suited for the college game.  Having said that, I've never actually watched Tyrell Williams run a route.  I just picked him up for $1 while other people blew half their blind bid money on guys like Sanu.  He has the highest ceiling of the WR available this week, sans Will Fuller, but also has the lowest floor.
I like Tyrell and think he is a great add, especially at 1%. I paid 10% for him. I just am preaching some caution because you would expect a 22 year old playing D2 football with the incredible size and athleticism Tyrell has to have been a superstar in D2. 

I like Tyrell and think he is a great add, especially at 1%. I paid 10% for him. I just am preaching some caution because you would expect a 22 year old playing D2 football with the incredible size and athleticism Tyrell has to have been a superstar in D2. 
Yep, I agree.. Easily has the highest ceiling, but his floor is really low too.

Yep, I agree.. Easily has the highest ceiling, but his floor is really low too.
My most likely scenario is Malcom Floyd 2.0. He has a lot of the same qualities (hopefully not the knack for getting hurt). Floyd was a useful fantasy asset and had a couple years where he was a solid WR3. However, he was a sporadic in his production as he depended on the deep ball. 

Tyrell has a higher ceiling than Fuller.......Tyrell could be SD's #1 WR. Where as Fuller will never be more than Houston's #2WR barring injury. SD also threw the ball 659 times last year which was 47 more times than Houston's 612. Houston did target their WR more but Houston's #2 got 94 targets last year. Even a modest increase to say 115 would leave Fuller well short of the 176 targets SD's #1 WR was on pace for last year before he was injured.

Tyrell's ceiling is 150+ targets. (He probably won't hit it but it's in his range)

Fuller's ceiling 120 targets.

Fuller looks like he has a higher probability of hitting his 120 targets though......

I get that SD is looking for a new #1 WR and I get that Williams is allegedly special physically.  However it seems like his skill set is entirely different than Allen's which makes it difficult to see him simply step in and pick up Allen's production (or 80% of Allen's production). It is difficult to envision the offense changing to feed the Z receiver the ball when the passing game is built around the X receiver.

I agree with @Ilov80s that Malcom Floyd 2.0 seems like the most likely outcome.  On the flip side Williams may truly be the specimen that some are hoping he is and he could turn into what everyone always hoped Floyd would turn into which would give him a very nice ceiling.  But I don't see his ceiling to be what Allen was going to produce.

The one thing that I would say about that Floyd comp is look at that underneath route Williams had from last week. That was not what I would call classic Floyd (no pun). That reminded me of Allen his rookie year. The missed routes on a couple passes were not encouraging but the two scoring opportunities were. That and the Rivers quotes from a couple days ago make me think this is worth getting extra room on my bench for at least a couple weeks.

Would you rate Williams higher than guys like Eli Rogers and Corey Coleman based on the opportunity?  Williams is sitting on the wire right now...trying to decide if I cut Rogers or Coleman for him.

Would you rate Williams higher than guys like Eli Rogers and Corey Coleman based on the opportunity?  Williams is sitting on the wire right now...trying to decide if I cut Rogers or Coleman for him.
Dynasty?

In redraft I'd cut Coleman for him easy. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10694/tyrell-williams

ESPN Chargers reporter Eric Williams believes Tyrell Williams "is the prototypical big target that Philip Rivers likes to throw to."
Fantasy owners are looking for value in San Diego following Keenan Allen's season-ending knee injury, and the beat reporter thinks Williams is the play. "I think both Travis Benjamin and Williams’ value increases," Williams said. "But I like Williams’ (fantasy prospects) better because he’s more physical and will win more often against press and man coverage." Williams is a worthy add in most leagues, but his hype train is getting a little out of control. He is just an upside WR4 play against the Jaguars. Sep 17 - 9:52 AM

Source: ESPN

Williams is 6-4, 205. 

Inman is 6-3, 205.

So both guys are the prototypical big receiver that Rivers likes.

Williams has 4 career receptions. 

Inman caught 35 balls last year and is now a full-time starter.

Why is Williams getting ALL the hype?

Milkman said:
SD also threw the ball 659 times last year which was 47 more times than Houston's 612
I don't think SD will get close to that number of attempts again unless the team is decimated by injuries to the OL again, rendering the running game completely ineffective. Last year was an outlier for SD pass attempts -- the next highest number of pass attempts in a season in the past 10 years is 581.

Chaka said:
It is difficult to envision the offense changing to feed the Z receiver the ball when the passing game is built around the X receiver.
I tend to agree with this... but it's not so much that the passing game was built around the X as that it was built around Allen. Inman has a skill set that is like a very poor man's Allen, so he will definitely be part of the solution, but everyone should also expect the playcalling to change. Either the X targets will drop or the X role will change somewhat to better enable Benjamin and Williams to get snaps there or, more likely, both.

I don't think SD will get close to that number of attempts again unless the team is decimated by injuries to the OL again, rendering the running game completely ineffective. Last year was an outlier for SD pass attempts -- the next highest number of pass attempts in a season in the past 10 years is 581.
Didn't realize that but SD doesn't look to be ahead a lot this year either and SD #1WR should still see more targets than Hou #2 the point about who's ceiling is higher is still valid. Tyrell is not even close to a lock to hit that ceiling though.....

Williams is 6-4, 205. 

Inman is 6-3, 205.

Perception in some quarters is that Inman really didn't meet expectations last year and if he had really established himself as the starter we wouldn't be having this discussion about Williams.

Williams is 6-4, 205. 

Inman is 6-3, 205.

Because he hasn't done anything. So you know: upside

Milkman said:
He has #1WR upside for the rest of the year. Can't get much higher upside than that. I agree though that he's a longshot to hit that ceiling. I don't think SD brought in another WR yet though........they must think their WR core can handle the job..........
Why does he have #1 upside the rest of the year??

Keenan Allen could have been the most targeted WR in football this year. Tyrell could be replacing him. It's unlikely but his ceiling is very high and what's driving his value right now.

Why is his ceiling high? He was an overaged UDFA last year, that couldn't beat out a Dontrelle Inman who no one likes this year.  

Now he has top 12 fantasy WR upside?

No he doesn't. SD passing offense #### the bed last year after Allen went down, some UDFA with measurable isn't getting 12 targets game just because Allen would have.

Combination of elite physical skills and opportunity. The best case way to view this for Williams is as follows:

• #1 target Allen is out for the year.
  • Original #3 WR Stevie is out for the year.
  • Benjamin is better suited as the #2, as he was signed to be, due to his size and speed.
  • Inman has proven to be a solid #4 WR, but that is a far cry from replacing Allen.
  • Burse entered the season as WR5 and was inactive last week. He is a complete unknown who has never taken a meaningful NFL snap.
  • Gates looked old in week 1, and he is old, and this could be the year he drops off a bit.
  • Promising backup TE Henry is a rookie, and rookie TEs rarely make much of an impact. Plus, he might be asked to block more often than run routes, as Ladarius did.
  • The Chargers defense looks bad again, meaning the Chargers might be forced into more passing than they would prefer, like last year.
All of that combines to create a significant opportunity for Williams, who received stellar reports on his play throughout training camp and preseason. He looked good in week 1, and now his snaps are going to increase.

It is a long shot that he can finish as a WR1, but that seems to be his upside. We know the offense can support it. We know Rivers can support it.

• is out for the year.
  • Benjamin is better suited as the #2, as he was signed to be, due to his size and speed.
  • Inman has proven to be a solid #4 WR, but that is a far cry from replacing Allen.
  • Burse entered the season as WR5 and was inactive last week. He is a complete unknown who has never taken a meaningful NFL snap.
  • Gates looked old in week 1, and he is old, and this could be the year he drops off a bit.
  • Promising backup TE Henry is a rookie, and rookie TEs rarely make much of an impact. Plus, he might be asked to block more often than run routes, as Ladarius did.
  • The Chargers defense looks bad again, meaning the Chargers might be forced into more passing than they would prefer, like last year.
All of that combines to create a significant opportunity f
People will regret doubting him.

Tyrell = Championship.

Why is his ceiling high? He was an overaged UDFA last year, that couldn't beat out a Dontrelle Inman who no one likes this year.  

Now he has top 12 fantasy WR upside?

No he doesn't. SD passing offense #### the bed last year after Allen went down, some UDFA with measurable isn't getting 12 targets game just because Allen would have.
Yeah I fall for these high ceiling guys all the time and they never work out so I'm not going to argue that it's likely but the opportunity is there.

Yeah I fall for these high ceiling guys all the time and they never work out so I'm not going to argue that it's likely but the opportunity is there.
Not sure why he would need to be a WR1 to pan out.  Would be great if he turned out to be rookie year Marques Colston, but personally I'd be happy with Harry Douglass production of a few years ago when Roddy went down.  

Users who are viewing this thread