What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Van Jefferson, PIT (1 Viewer)

jm192 said:
The more I look at things, I really like him.  

Kupp may leave after this year, right?
No way. The coach and QB love him.

But Woods only has 1 more year remaining on his contract. And that would save 8 million with an offseason release.

Kupp ain't signing for free though.  Money is going to play a big part in how this shakes out.
Which is why Goff and his 134 million dollar contract was an important mention. On top of the 8 million in potential Woods savings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not the least bit concerned about future playing time. They just don’t have the cap to pay other guys at the position if the Wr they took in the 2nd is at all good. If he’s good, someone walks and he plays.

I like what I see with Jefferson, there is definitely something there...that being said if Kupp resigns (and Higbee is already extended) it makes nervous about his upside...would need for the Rams to move on from Woods to really be in a position before he can become a legit fantasy starter unless he is even better then we think.

Now Woods as well as Kupp signed extensions.
Gotta be honest...I am real surprised they extended both Kupp and Woods...when they gave Higbee a nice contract and used a #2 on Jefferson I took that as a signal they would be moving on from one of them...obviously, that is not the case...I have Jefferson on my Dynasty team and I don't see this as a good thing for his value...Kupp and Woods are very good players and with Goff looking like he will be a good but not great QB I don't see an easy path for Jefferson to put up numbers that make him real fantasy relevant.

Gotta be honest...I am real surprised they extended both Kupp and Woods...when they gave Higbee a nice contract and used a #2 on Jefferson I took that as a signal they would be moving on from one of them...obviously, that is not the case...I have Jefferson on my Dynasty team and I don't see this as a good thing for his value...Kupp and Woods are very good players and with Goff looking like he will be a good but not great QB I don't see an easy path for Jefferson to put up numbers that make him real fantasy relevant.
This offense supported Cooks, Kupp, and Woods before. Don't worry about it.

This offense supported Cooks, Kupp, and Woods before. Don't worry about it.
Cooks only played two years for the Rams and only one was productive...the one he did well in Higbee was a non-factor and Kupp got hurt that year...the offense has not really supported three WRs fantasywise (and that was without a TE who put up numbers)...that does not mean Jefferson won't be a good real WR but right now he has a lot in front of him to be WR that will have the opportunity to put up legit numbers. 

I’d use this news, as a Woods owner, to explore trading for Jefferson as a kind of WR cuff in case he gets hurt. Maybe wait a couple more games and hope he doesn’t have too many flashes.

Cooks only played two years for the Rams and only one was productive...the one he did well in Higbee was a non-factor and Kupp got hurt that year...the offense has not really supported three WRs fantasywise (and that was without a TE who put up numbers)...that does not mean Jefferson won't be a good real WR but right now he has a lot in front of him to be WR that will have the opportunity to put up legit numbers. 
The McVay Rams has supported 3 wrs fantasy-wise before, the first 8 games of 2018. This is why I'm not worried about it. Seems to me that's the offense McVay wants to run, the one where they led the league in points. Otherwise they would not have used their 2nd on a WR. 

Yeah not good. I thought for sure they’d be letting one of Kupp/Woods walk. Now it seems like a longer wait. Unless they start supporting 3 wrs again.

Endowed said:
Not good in any scenario.  It went from "a matter of time" to "hoping something changes". Ouch. 
Could not agree more...the Woods signing (along with Higbee and Kupp) changes how I feel about him dramatically...you summed it up perfectly.

ConnSKINS26 said:
I’d use this news, as a Woods owner, to explore trading for Jefferson as a kind of WR cuff in case he gets hurt. Maybe wait a couple more games and hope he doesn’t have too many flashes.
That makes sense (for a Kupp owner as well)...if you want to trade for him right now is the perfect time...most Jefferson Owners are gonna be down on these extensions so they would probably move him for a very reasonable price.

cloppbeast said:
The McVay Rams has supported 3 wrs fantasy-wise before, the first 8 games of 2018. This is why I'm not worried about it. 
But can they support 3 WRs and a TE? I'd guess the odds are against it. Someone is getting left out in the cold for the near future. 

They're not anywhere near the offense they were in early 2018 so that point is kind of moot. In addition to the TE point that people have brought up. 

I still see him as a hold. Kupp and Woods are signed but long term contracts don't seem to mean as much to the Rams as they do to other teams. See: Gurley, Watkins, Cooks. 

They're not anywhere near the offense they were in early 2018 so that point is kind of moot. In addition to the TE point that people have brought up. 

I still see him as a hold. Kupp and Woods are signed but long term contracts don't seem to mean as much to the Rams as they do to other teams. See: Gurley, Watkins, Cooks. 
WRs and TEs are the exact same, sub out Cooks for Jefferson. RBs and o-line are a lot worse. The offense overall is not as good, but perhaps set up to more pass the ball being less effective on the ground. Goff had 570 pass attempts in 2018 when Gurley was OPY, 630 in 2019 with poor rushing efficiency. It's worth noting Goff's ypa went down from 8.4 to 7.5 without a formidable running game.

How much the TEs will be involved is the biggest concern. Are Higbee/Everett going to be getting 150 targets between them, or like 80? I don't know how much Cooks injuries and lousiness last year had to do with the switch in philosophy or the Patriots demonstrating how to contain their offense. If I were read between the lines I'd say they intend to go back to the 3 WR thing, at least try. It's strange they would spend their 2nd on a WR when they planned on locking up Woods and Kupp. That's a decent investment for a guy you know will only be a back up. 

So far in only one game this year they ran 73 plays, this says 68% of them had 3WR on the field. Average team runs 58% 3 wide, and almost all the teams above the Rams were either the Steelers or losing their games the whole time. Out of the 4 guys the Rams they have, Woods and Kupp each got about 10 plays off, Reynolds played 37 snaps and Jefferson 33. So either one of Jefferson/Reynolds were on the field almost all the snaps. Am I wrong to think it's only a matter of time before Jefferson is seeing 50+ and Reynolds is more like 20?

If I were read between the lines I'd say they intend to go back to the 3 WR thing, at least try. It's strange they would spend their 2nd on a WR when they planned on locking up Woods and Kupp. That's a decent investment for a guy you know will only be a back up. 
They had no idea if they would be able to extend Woods/Kupp at the time.  Teams spend valuable picks on this kind of thing reasonably often. For all we know if they had a chance to re-do it now that they were successfully able to extend those guys they might use that pick differently. 

So far in only one game this year they ran 73 plays, this says 68% of them had 3WR on the field. Average team runs 58% 3 wide, and almost all the teams above the Rams were either the Steelers or losing their games the whole time. Out of the 4 guys the they have, Woods and Kupp each got about 10 plays off, Reynolds played 37 snaps and Jefferson 33. So either one of Jefferson/Reynolds were on the field almost all the snaps. Am I wrong to think it's only a matter of time before Jefferson is seeing 50+ and Reynolds is more like 20?
It looks like they ran 90% of plays with 3WR in 2018 so still a ways off from there.  And while Higbee/Everett are the same guys from 2018 it's fair to say they are different players now, especially Higbee.

Regardless this just isn't the same offense putting up the same kind of production they were in 2018.  At that time they were considered the best offense in the league.  It is going to be tough to support a ton of fantasy options in this current version of the offense that scores a lot less.

Van Jefferson caught 4-of-5 targets for 45 yards in the Rams' Week 2 win over the Eagles. 

Jefferson "added" a -1 yard rush. Jefferson once again out-targeted Josh Reynolds and appears to be settling in as the Rams' No. 3 receiver. With Jared Goff spreading the ball around more than ever, Jefferson will have trouble carving out WR4 value, but he is worth keeping an eye on in what is looking likely to be a wild injury following the truncated offseason. The Rams' coaching staff is clearly enamored with the No. 57 overall pick. 

Sep 20, 2020, 6:51 PM ET

Curious as to what happened to V Jefferson, appears to be have completely vanished from the game plan after looking decent early on. Didn't expect him to be a big difference maker this season, but for dynasty purpose would love to see him at least contributing as a #4WR or so. His snaps seem to be dropping dramatically.  Anyone know if he's regressed or something? 

Curious as to what happened to V Jefferson, appears to be have completely vanished from the game plan after looking decent early on. Didn't expect him to be a big difference maker this season, but for dynasty purpose would love to see him at least contributing as a #4WR or so. His snaps seem to be dropping dramatically.  Anyone know if he's regressed or something? 
He seems to be stuck way behind Reynolds. Snap count of 26% vs 72% for Reynolds. I'm still holding on, but the resignings don't have me optimistic for a big breakout anytime soon. 

The article asking if the Rams need another WR or not adds some good information about Reynolds being a free agent.

Another thing to consider after the Rams trade for Stafford is that the Rams will not have any 1st round picks for the next 3 seasons. So they are not going to be able to invest more into a new WR than they already have invested into Jefferson.

What do you all see Van Jefferson's value doing in 2021 now that he has Stafford throwing the rock instead of Goff? What are his comparable values in a Dynasty League going forward?

What do you all see Van Jefferson's value doing in 2021 now that he has Stafford throwing the rock instead of Goff? What are his comparable values in a Dynasty League going forward?
If Reynolds leave, I think you can expect an uptick in production. Well, it can’t really get worse. Maybe WR3 ceiling. Until Woods or Kupp are gone, the upside is limited. 

I like him for next year - he came on at the end of the season and all bets are off with Stafford..no telling who he will jell with.....he's very cheap to obtain...im buying

If Stafford is the key to unlocking the full capability of McVay's offense, there's a distinct possibility that it could produce 3 1000-yard WR. I think Stafford will do his part.

If Reynolds leaves via Free Agency, Jefferson slots in as the #3 WR at worst, and outside of lucking into a Day 3 selection outperforming his draft position, there's a massive gap between whatever other WR they roster, and Kupp, Woods and Jefferson. I think it's a given Reynolds gets an offer the Rams aren't willing to match.

If either Kupp or Woods misses time due to injury, the sky's the limit.

Fantasy Winners & Losers: Matthew Stafford & Jared Goff Trade (2021)

Excerpt:

Van Jefferson (WR – LAR)

An underappreciated receiver in last year’s draft, Jefferson could be set to take off in 2021. He didn’t participate in the 2020 Draft Combine due to a broken foot, but he was thought to be one of the fastest receivers in the entire class. That speed could open him up for some more deep balls this year with Matthew Stafford under center. Across his last three seasons, Stafford has averaged 8.7 intended air yards per pass attempt, while Goff averaged just 7.7. Stafford is more of a gunslinger and willing to take chances downfield. Jefferson should be ready to take over the WR3 role from Josh Reynolds (if Reynolds returns) and take a strong step forward in 2021.

If Stafford is the key to unlocking the full capability of McVay's offense, there's a distinct possibility that it could produce 3 1000-yard WR. I think Stafford will do his part.

If Reynolds leaves via Free Agency, Jefferson slots in as the #3 WR at worst, and outside of lucking into a Day 3 selection outperforming his draft position, there's a massive gap between whatever other WR they roster, and Kupp, Woods and Jefferson. I think it's a given Reynolds gets an offer the Rams aren't willing to match.

If either Kupp or Woods misses time due to injury, the sky's the limit.
If Everett has a market then his exodus could be an influence too. Rams started running more 12 beginning late 2019, but is there anyone to fill his shoes?

Users who are viewing this thread