What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yet another Pitt Bull attack (1 Viewer)

icon, what the hell happened to you? You used to be chill and talked about jeeps and your cute part asian/native american/don't remember girlfriend. Now you're hellbent on this stupid pitbull rant. I don't get it. Why do you care so much about this? Are you missing a leg due to a pitbull?
I don't like Pits. My buddy's dog was attacked by one right in front of me. This dog was otherwise chill as hell.. had played with it many times. Then it just snapped for no reason. Thankfully he was on a chain and we could pull it off before it killed my buddy's golden. :shrug:Stupid logical fallacies piss me off. Seeing people in here staring up at a mountain of evidence that Pits are overwhelmingly the leading cause of human/dog attacks in the canine world just struck me as stupid. So, I just figured I'd post some facts/stories for a while. :shrug:

read something on FB the other day that said no single, neutered/spayed pit bull had ever killed anyone. I didn't go searching to see if this was true but I'm sure someone else will for me.
Not going to look that up but I'm certain it's not true. And if it is somehow randomly true... i'm certain many many people have been attacked by a spayed/neutered pit.... at least until facts to the contrary surface.

icon, what the hell happened to you? You used to be chill and talked about jeeps and your cute part asian/native american/don't remember girlfriend. Now you're hellbent on this stupid pitbull rant. I don't get it. Why do you care so much about this? Are you missing a leg due to a pitbull?
I don't like Pits. My buddy's dog was attacked by one right in front of me. This dog was otherwise chill as hell.. had played with it many times. Then it just snapped for no reason. Thankfully he was on a chain and we could pull it off before it killed my buddy's golden. :shrug:Stupid logical fallacies piss me off. Seeing people in here staring up at a mountain of evidence that Pits are overwhelmingly the leading cause of human/dog attacks in the canine world just struck me as stupid. So, I just figured I'd post some facts/stories for a while. :shrug:
So if Pits are removed, will you start your crusade on the next leader of human/dogs attacks?

I agree with you but the news never reports when a labrador bites a kid on the face for some reason, or that rottweilers kill just as many people as pit bulls. The breed is a target and they have become easy to sensationalize. Pit bull attacks are money makers for the media.
No.
2010 Dog Bite Fatalities:

33 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2010. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 650 U.S. cities, pit bulls led these attacks accounting for 67% (22). Pit bulls make up approximately 5% of the total U.S. dog population.2

In 2010, the combination of pit bulls (22) and rottweilers (4) accounted for 79% of all fatal attacks. In the 6-year period from 2005 to 2010, this same combination accounted for 71% (129) of the total recorded deaths (181).

The combined breakdown between the two breeds is substantial. From 2005 to 2010, pit bulls killed 104 Americans, about one citizen every 21 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 25 Americans, about one citizen every 88 days.

2010 data shows that 61% (20) of the attacks occurred to children (11 years and younger) and 39% occurred to adults. Of the children, 75% (15) occurred to ages 4 and younger. Within this same age group, males represented 60% of the victims.
I will accept your data without comment. So you are perfectly fine with Rottweilers then? And Presa Canarios?

And you are okay with the thousands of dog bites to the face annually that were not caused by Pit Bulls?

Is that where we are?
My issue with dogs is directly proportional to the threat they post to the other people and animals around them. I have seen rots that were as sweet as can be. I've seen pits that were the same way. The only pit attack I've ever witnessed personally was from one that I thought was in the "Sweet as can be" camp..... it was as loving and playful of a dog as I've ever seen...until it wasnt.

I don't like Pits. My buddy's dog was attacked by one right in front of me. This dog was otherwise chill as hell.. had played with it many times. Then it just snapped for no reason. Thankfully he was on a chain and we could pull it off before it killed my buddy's golden. :shrug: Stupid logical fallacies piss me off. Seeing people in here staring up at a mountain of evidence that Pits are overwhelmingly the leading cause of human/dog attacks in the canine world just struck me as stupid. So, I just figured I'd post some facts/stories for a while. :shrug:
:unsure:

So if Pits are removed, will you start your crusade on the next leader of human/dogs attacks?
When another breed stands out as this blatantly violent toward other animals and people, sure. Why not.

When another breed stands out as this blatantly violent toward other animals and people, sure. Why not.
What % of Pitbulls attack people?

I don't like Pits. My buddy's dog was attacked by one right in front of me. This dog was otherwise chill as hell.. had played with it many times. Then it just snapped for no reason. Thankfully he was on a chain and we could pull it off before it killed my buddy's golden. :shrug: Stupid logical fallacies piss me off. Seeing people in here staring up at a mountain of evidence that Pits are overwhelmingly the leading cause of human/dog attacks in the canine world just struck me as stupid. So, I just figured I'd post some facts/stories for a while. :shrug:
Out of all this you have an issue witha chain leash?

Data presented above. I'm assuming you're capable of addition/division? :thumbup:

Honey, we should get a dog for the kids!

How about a pit bull!

But Pit Bulls killed 33 people last year!

But that's not much out of the entire population. I think it's worth the risk!

Data presented above. I'm assuming you're capable of addition/division? :thumbup:
Link? I can't seem to find what % of Pitbulls attack people. Not looking for the % of attacks.

first of all, what you witnessed was dog on dog aggression, which is pretty common. it has nothing to do with Pitts in and of themselves.secondly, you said 'on a chain', not 'on a leash'. on a chain, to me, means he was chained up to a stake or tree, which is incredibly bad for dogs and will lead to things like this.

first of all, what you witnessed was dog on dog aggression, which is pretty common. it has nothing to do with Pitts in and of themselves.secondly, you said 'on a chain', not 'on a leash'. on a chain, to me, means he was chained up to a stake or tree, which is incredibly bad for dogs and will lead to things like this.
Dog was on a leash (that happened to be made of light chain)..at a park. A park that our softball team has gone to for a decade or so. Half our team has dogs of some sort. Ranging from Retrievers, black labs, Boxers, Rots, shnauzers, etc. The dogs always come and hang out. The vast majority of these dogs met for the first time at this field...just as the Pit did. Never has there been an incident of violence among dogs.... until this one came around. The second time at the park he attacked a golden that was being pet by someone else nearby. 100% unprovoked. So in 300-400 days of multiple dogs of varying breeds mingling there has been 1 incidence of dog on dog violence... a pit attacking another dog unprovoked. Does that mean that all pits will attack other dogs? Of course not. Is it an interesting coincidence that piles on top of other evidence that helps me form my opinion? Of course it does. If you chose to ignore it, that's fine. You're an adult.... form your own opinion. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

How about a pit bull!

I wonder how many people drowned in swimming pools last year. I hope you don't let anyone you care about go swimming or, (gasp!) put a pool in their backyard. that certainly can't be worth the risk.

How about a pit bull!

I wonder how many people drowned in swimming pools last year. I hope you don't let anyone you care about go swimming or, (gasp!) put a pool in their backyard. that certainly can't be worth the risk.
And here come the straw men :lmao:

How about a pit bull!

Now I'm convinced you are posting 100% shtick in this thread.

Dog was on a leash (that happened to be made of light chain)..at a park. A park that our softball team has gone to for a decade or so. Half our team has dogs of some sort. Ranging from Retrievers, black labs, Boxers, Rots, shnauzers, etc. The dogs always come and hang out. The vast majority of these dogs met for the first time at this field...just as the Pit did. Never has there been an incident of violence among dogs.... until this one came around. The second time at the park he attacked a golden that was being pet by someone else nearby. 100% unprovoked. So in 400-500 days of multiple dogs of varying breeds mingling there has been 1 incidence of dog on dog violence... a pit attacking another dog unprovoked. Does that mean that all pits will attack other dogs? Of course not. Is it an interesting coincidence that piles on top of other evidence that helps me form my opinion? Of course it does. If you chose to ignore it, that's fine. You're an adult.... form your own opinion. :thumbup:
there's a whole lot of information missing here that wouldn't allow me to form any opinion. I have no idea where your buddy got his dog or how he raised him. you didn't mention it so I have to assume you don't either. but you do know he's a pitbull (btw, what is the actual breed of your buddies dog?) and pits are bad, so you draw your conclusion. there can't be any other answer, can there?

Link? I can't seem to find what % of Pitbulls attack people. Not looking for the % of attacks.
:kicksrock:

How about a pit bull!

I'm confused. are you saying swimming pools are not dangerous? I think its a good analogy. swimming pools are safe if properly secured and supervised. its much the same with dogs. its more dangerous to have a dog, but if you go to a reputable breeder for your pup, socialize and train him properly, there will be no problems.perhaps you can tell me how this isn't a good analogy?

How about a pit bull!

LIttle different comparing stationary objects with unpredictable animals but you did it so I give you credit for that.

How about a pit bull!

I'm confused. are you saying swimming pools are not dangerous? I think its a good analogy. swimming pools are safe if properly secured and supervised. its much the same with dogs. its more dangerous to have a dog, but if you go to a reputable breeder for your pup, socialize and train him properly, there will be no problems.perhaps you can tell me how this isn't a good analogy?
There aren't many pools that will jump out and drown you as you are casually walking by. But Mr. Above Ground was always so sweet!

How about a pit bull!

Now I'm convinced you are posting 100% shtick in this thread.
not at all. Cunk mentioned having a Pit being 'worth the risk'. so, is having a swimming pool worth the risk? letting your kids play outside? is driving a car worth the risk? its up to each person to decide.

risks can be minimized for any situation. I'd have no problem owning a pit because I know I would go to a good breeder, meet the dogs parents, train him and socialize him from the get-go and I can tell you with 99.99% certainty, I would never have a problem with him. but the risks go up if I buy him from some neighbor down the street or out of a newspaper, I don't train him and I don't socialize him. each of these will increase the risk of him hurting another dog or person. then, when it happens, its the breeds fault. not necessarily, IMO. I'm willing to bet that each and every pit bull attack was contributed to by the owner. pits just happen to be very popular with people who aren't condusive to making good owners. if you could eliminate the breed, these owners will move on to another breed and you will need to eliminate that breed too. pretty soon we are left with no dogs or maybe just those little dogs that women and gay men like.

You're still dodging Chaka's pitbull attack % question.....
Not my question. He's dodging my "Why is it not a problem for him when labradors bite children in the face?" (which is among the, if not the #1, most common dog attacks) question.It feels like he is basing most of his opinion on a study of one and looking for data to support his conclusion.And FTR I am not saying that Pit Bulls are not dangerous, I am saying all dogs can be dangerous. All of them.

I think the ratio of pits that attack (vs other dogs) is a much more relevant question. Compare the ratio of pits vs attacks to other dogs vs attacks (#breed / attacks). You guys have that google thing installed on your computer too, right? And a calculator app? Right on. :thumbup:

I think the ratio of pits that attack (vs other dogs) is a much more relevant question. Compare the ratio of pits vs attacks to other dogs vs attacks (#breed / attacks). You guys have that google thing installed on your computer too, right? And a calculator app? Right on. :thumbup:
With that logic, should we be looking at what type of humans commit the majority of violent crimes? If it's, let's say, short bald guys between 20 and 40 years old....maybe lock them all up or eliminate them completely? Sounds logical, right?

With that logic, should we be looking at what type of humans commit the majority of violent crimes? If it's, let's say, short bald guys between 20 and 40 years old....maybe lock them all up or eliminate them completely? Sounds logical, right?
Wow. Really? Dogs = Humans now?! Genocide = Outlawing specific breeds of domesticated animals? :lmao: Jesus... you guys are awesome. Off to lunch... Got some stuff to do. I'll drop in occasionally to post more news reports of pits mauling/killing people. You guys feel free to do the same about other breeds.

How about a pit bull!

LIttle different comparing stationary objects with unpredictable animals but you did it so I give you credit for that.
who cares if its stationary? the point is that both are more dangerous if not properly managed. I can have a pool and have 99.99% confidence that no one will ever drown in it because I will put a fence up and supervise when people are in it. I can have a pitbull and have 99.99% confidence he will never attack another person because he will be trained and socialized for most of his life and will be from stable parents, whose parents were stable, whose parents were stable.

but let some dude put a pool in his yard with a fence that is falling down and neighborhood kids swim in it without supervision and the chances of someone getting hurt or killed goes up quite a bit. its the same for dogs. don't train them, don't socialize them, don't neuter/spay them, don't go to a reputable breeder, keep him on a chain in your yard, leave your dog alone with kids, then blame the breed when they bite another dog or person. ridiculous. its the owners of these dogs fault in 95% of these cases, if not more. eliminating a breed isn't going to help anything.

Wow. Really? Dogs = Humans now?! Genocide = Outlawing specific breeds of domesticated animals? :lmao: Jesus... you guys are awesome. Off to lunch... Got some stuff to do. I'll drop in occasionally to post more news reports of pits mauling/killing people. You guys feel free to do the same about other breeds.
I won't argue with you, for the same reasons I don't argue with LHucks and Oprah.
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

How about a pit bull!

who cares if its stationary? the point is that both are more dangerous if not properly managed. I can have a pool and have 99.99% confidence that no one will ever drown in it because I will put a fence up and supervise when people are in it. I can have a pitbull and have 99.99% confidence he will never attack another person because he will be trained and socialized for most of his life and will be from stable parents, whose parents were stable, whose parents were stable.

but let some dude put a pool in his yard with a fence that is falling down and neighborhood kids swim in it without supervision and the chances of someone getting hurt or killed goes up quite a bit. its the same for dogs. don't train them, don't socialize them, don't neuter/spay them, don't go to a reputable breeder, keep him on a chain in your yard, leave your dog alone with kids, then blame the breed when they bite another dog or person. ridiculous. its the owners of these dogs fault in 95% of these cases, if not more. eliminating a breed isn't going to help anything.
But it's the kids fault for breaking into the swimming pool. It's not a kids fault for getting mauled by a Pitt Bull. I don't care who trained it. I'd rather stick my face an inch from a pool than an inch from the mouth of a Pit Bull. I can tell you that.

I won't argue with you, for the same reasons I don't argue with LHucks and Oprah.
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:
:goodposting:

How about a pit bull!

But it's the kids fault for breaking into the swimming pool. It's not a kids fault for getting mauled by a Pitt Bull. I don't care who trained it. I'd rather stick my face an inch from a pool than an inch from the mouth of a Pit Bull. I can tell you that.
who said the kids broke into the pool? :confused: you shouldn't stick your face an inch from the mouth of ANY dog unless it knows you very well. seems to me that a lot people don't know how to raise dogs or how to interact with them.

my lunch hour is over, carry on with your ignorance :thumbup:

for lack of a better place to show this, here's a pic of my Rottweiler with almost 2 year old boy. the dog is trying to eat, but my son is insisting on feeding him with his baby spoon. stuff like this doesn't happen by accident. from the time I got him as an 8 week old pup, all of my kids have had their hands in his food while he eats. its part of his training so that he is not food aggressive. anybody that is in my house can walk up to this dog and take anything that's in his mouth (assuming he hasn't already dropped it when you tell him to). every single day he gets training, exercise and affection. I wonder how many of these dogs who attack other people or dogs receive these things.

he is such a great dog, my second rott, after having 2 German Shephards and a Doberman in the past, not a single problem with any of them even growling at another friendly person or dog.

My link

Today's first Pit Bull Mauling Report:

4 pit bull dogs maul Seattle man, firefighters expect he'll recover from puncture wounds

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/8a05b373f1844a898038b0500e47d4a9/WA--Pit-Bull-Attack/

SEATTLE — The fire department says a south Seattle man suffered multiple puncture wounds when he was mauled by four pit bull dogs.

Spokesman Kyle Moore told The Seattle Times (http://is.gd/52Cyxz ) the man has extensive injuries to his head, arm, neck, and an ear but is expected to recover.

Moore says the dog's owners heard the attack Wednesday night, ran out to rescue the man, put him on a wooden pallet and dragged him from the yard to a Jack in the Box restaurant for help.

Moore says the dog's owners heard the attack Wednesday night, ran out to rescue the man, put him on a wooden pallet and dragged him from the yard to a Jack in the Box restaurant for help.
Thankfully this guy will survive. :thumbup:

for lack of a better place to show this, here's a pic of my Rottweiler with almost 2 year old boy. the dog is trying to eat, but my son is insisting on feeding him with his baby spoon. stuff like this doesn't happen by accident. from the time I got him as an 8 week old pup, all of my kids have had their hands in his food while he eats. its part of his training so that he is not food aggressive. anybody that is in my house can walk up to this dog and take anything that's in his mouth (assuming he hasn't already dropped it when you tell him to). every single day he gets training, exercise and affection. I wonder how many of these dogs who attack other people or dogs receive these things.

he is such a great dog, my second rott, after having 2 German Shephards and a Doberman in the past, not a single problem with any of them even growling at another friendly person or dog.

My link
Good thinking. Putting your child in a cage with a Rottweiler right next to its food dish is the right call.

My link
Good thinking. Putting your child in a cage with a Rottweiler right next to its food dish is the right call.
:rolleyes:

My link
:goodposting: I don't even WALK by my dogs' food when they're eating...and they top out at 15 lbs.

Today's first Pit Bull Mauling Report:

4 pit bull dogs maul Seattle man, firefighters expect he'll recover from puncture wounds

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/8a05b373f1844a898038b0500e47d4a9/WA--Pit-Bull-Attack/

SEATTLE — The fire department says a south Seattle man suffered multiple puncture wounds when he was mauled by four pit bull dogs.

Spokesman Kyle Moore told The Seattle Times (http://is.gd/52Cyxz ) the man has extensive injuries to his head, arm, neck, and an ear but is expected to recover.

Thankfully this guy will survive. :thumbup:
Guess you conveniently left out the trespassing on their property. Sounds like the dogs were doing what they're supposed to do. Protect property from an invading stranger.

My link
this has to be schtick, right? or are you really that clueless when it comes to dogs?

I have have had people tell me that they are confident that their dog would never harm their child.

Sorry but you are a fool if you trust a dog 100% with your children's safety at stake.

My link
this has to be schtick, right? or are you really that clueless when it comes to dogs?
Is it really worth the risk? Huh? In the end is it really worth it? Apparently so.

Users who are viewing this thread