What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yet another Pitt Bull attack (2 Viewers)

For those who claim it is the owners and not the breed, might I remind you that these dogs were bred to attack other animals (humans included). Despite an extremely tiny percentage of the pit bull population, the breed is hard-wired to attack. It's programmed in their DNA.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's both. The breed and the owner.Sorry to all the Pit Bull owners. YOUR Pit Bull might be all lovable and all, but it's still a Pit Bull. Being the "alpha dog" and everything that goes with it is in its blood. You can try and train it to be kind and just a little baby, but deep down it can turn into a vicious animal with the flip of a switch. Great guard dog, but no chance in hell I would have that near my kids.As for the owners. Well, many owners would try and train it to be lovable and a "family pet," but there are those few that train them to be fighters. Notice how nearly every time you read about dog fighting in the news... it's always pit bulls? Hmmm, coincidence?
Some of this seems fair. But part of the reason it's "always the pit bulls" is that irresponsible mid-20s dudes are drawn to this animal. I understand the pit owners who say "it's not the dog's fault." Completely understand.Unfortunately, for those of us with small kids, we can't take the chance....and wait to evaluate whether or not you are a responsible pit owner. We just can't risk it. But the folks saying "if you ban the breed, it won't solve the problem"....completely agree. Because the same irresponsible morons who cause problems today will just shift to another breed that can be molded into an aggressive killer.

How would you go about killing a pit without shooting it? :thumbup:
Pitbulls LOVE steak. And steak soaked in anti-freeze still smells and tastes like steak.Double your fun: Throw it into the pitbull's yard while the owner is outside. Owner will suspect something and try to take the steak from the pitbull.Two birds- One stone.

It's both. The breed and the owner.

Sorry to all the Pit Bull owners. YOUR Pit Bull might be all lovable and all, but it's still a Pit Bull. Being the "alpha dog" and everything that goes with it is in its blood. You can try and train it to be kind and just a little baby, but deep down it can turn into a vicious animal with the flip of a switch. Great guard dog, but no chance in hell I would have that near my kids.

As for the owners. Well, many owners would try and train it to be lovable and a "family pet," but there are those few that train them to be fighters. Notice how nearly every time you read about dog fighting in the news... it's always pit bulls? Hmmm, coincidence?
Some of this seems fair. But part of the reason it's "always the pit bulls" is that irresponsible mid-20s dudes are drawn to this animal. Agree with you here

I understand the pit owners who say "it's not the dog's fault." Completely understand.

Any owner will say that about their dog

Unfortunately, for those of us with small kids, we can't take the chance....and wait to evaluate whether or not you are a responsible pit owner. We just can't risk it.

Agree with you here

But the folks saying "if you ban the breed, it won't solve the problem"....completely agree. Because the same irresponsible morons who cause problems today will just shift to another breed that can be molded into an aggressive killer.

Agree with you here, too

Why wait for it to get loose?
:thumbup: sorry but if a neighbor had one, and it already jumped the fence. it's over. animal control or whomever or a silencer.

and i really wish people would understand certain dogs are okay around children and certain breeds just aren't. if you have little ones, then you shouldn't have an animal in your house that can kill it your own kid on a whim.
This. Lots of animal owners are morons. Likely a markedly higher than average chance of moron if you own a pit bull.
You guys honestly crack me up. I own a pit bull, and a lot of people own pit bulls around me. You know what their demographic is? mid-20's white girls. Go to any rescue shelter and see what breeds of dogs you see there. I know where i am at they are 85% pit bulls. So a socially responsible person who does not flock to puppy mills or encourage irresponsible breeding of dogs goes to their local shelter and adopts. The pit bulls in my area are better then all of the small dogs. My dog is "Good Citizen" certified and will be a therapeutic dog (because my wife is nuts and is taking her to all sorts of things). Only thing my pit bull does is she gets too excited. Funny thing is she gets around any little kid, she has amazing control and is better behaved then any little yapping dog that half of the other people own. Sorry for the long post there, but bottom line is the idea that the breed of pit bull (which is about as ambiguous as you want it to be) is "bad" is just dumb and ignorant. there are plenty of irresponsible owners, and the media loves nothing more then to run a story about a pitt bull doing something bad (regardless if it is actually a pit bull or not) because it gets attention. I would rather see a story in the Carolina's report about how the animal shelters down there still gas their dogs because there is so many irresponsible people and over abundance of lose animals because no one spays or neuters their dogs.
The reason there is so many pits in shelters is because of irresponsible breeding.
I can't imagine adopting a pit bull from a shelter when you have no idea how it's been bred or (mis)treated prior to being abandoned.

:thumbup: sorry but if a neighbor had one, and it already jumped the fence. it's over. animal control or whomever or a silencer.

and i really wish people would understand certain dogs are okay around children and certain breeds just aren't. if you have little ones, then you shouldn't have an animal in your house that can kill it your own kid on a whim.
This. Lots of animal owners are morons. Likely a markedly higher than average chance of moron if you own a pit bull.
You guys honestly crack me up. I own a pit bull, and a lot of people own pit bulls around me. You know what their demographic is? mid-20's white girls. Go to any rescue shelter and see what breeds of dogs you see there. I know where i am at they are 85% pit bulls. So a socially responsible person who does not flock to puppy mills or encourage irresponsible breeding of dogs goes to their local shelter and adopts. The pit bulls in my area are better then all of the small dogs. My dog is "Good Citizen" certified and will be a therapeutic dog (because my wife is nuts and is taking her to all sorts of things). Only thing my pit bull does is she gets too excited. Funny thing is she gets around any little kid, she has amazing control and is better behaved then any little yapping dog that half of the other people own. Sorry for the long post there, but bottom line is the idea that the breed of pit bull (which is about as ambiguous as you want it to be) is "bad" is just dumb and ignorant. there are plenty of irresponsible owners, and the media loves nothing more then to run a story about a pitt bull doing something bad (regardless if it is actually a pit bull or not) because it gets attention. I would rather see a story in the Carolina's report about how the animal shelters down there still gas their dogs because there is so many irresponsible people and over abundance of lose animals because no one spays or neuters their dogs.
Good luck. You are of course correct, but there are plenty of tough guys in here who think they know what they're talking about, and no amount of evidence, data, reason, or logic is going to change their minds. We've been through this extensively in the past, even pointing out places all over Europe where breed specific legislation is being repealed because it didn't work, but you won't change anyone's mind. You can't change a position that isn't based in fact or logic with fact and logic.

You guys honestly crack me up. I own a pit bull, and a lot of people own pit bulls around me. You know what their demographic is? mid-20's white girls.
Way to close the case here, Matlock.

:goodposting: sorry but if a neighbor had one, and it already jumped the fence. it's over. animal control or whomever or a silencer.

You guys honestly crack me up. I own a pit bull, and a lot of people own pit bulls around me. You know what their demographic is? mid-20's white girls.
No doubt. The demographic least capable of instilling discipline in a dog.

Sorry to all the Pit Bull owners. YOUR Pit Bull might be all lovable and all, but it's still a Pit Bull. Being the "alpha dog" and everything that goes with it is in its blood. You can try and train it to be kind and just a little baby, but deep down it can turn into a vicious animal with the flip of a switch. Great guard dog, but no chance in hell I would have that near my kids.

As for the owners. Well, many owners would try and train it to be lovable and a "family pet," but there are those few that train them to be fighters. Notice how nearly every time you read about dog fighting in the news... it's always pit bulls? Hmmm, coincidence?
I really don't want to devolve into internet word-fighting messsage board Kunf Fu <_< . But I can't help but ask whether you have direct experience with Pit Bulls or other medium or large dominant breeds. They don't have "alpha dog" in their blood. All dogs are pack predators. True, that if left to their own devices, an alpha will rise to a leadership position in a pack. And true, this can be a bloody process. But those are the rules ferae naturae. There are a number of other rules that govern pack formation; and every dog constantly vying to be the alpha is not one of them. In the matter under discussion, human influence is one of those factors. If dogs or any other mammalian pack predators pursued their "alpha blood" in the manner which you seem to imply, then dogs, lions, wolves, hyenas, and primates would have killed themselves long ago.

Pits , along with most of the large breeds we've discussed in this thread, are dominant dogs. But this terminology refers to an overall personality trait of extreme confidence. There is no "switch" to be flipped. This concept is the product of years of inaccurate treatment in the media compounded by the recent proclivity of our culture to trend toward risk-averse, hand-wringing, over-protectiveness. It is true that if not correctly handled, any dog can become dangerous. It is also true that, physics being what it is, large dogs can run faster and bite harder. Thus, they can be more dangerous than small dogs. But this dangerousness manifest itself as the end of a process that is as predictable in people and other animals as it is in dogs.

GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out. Bad practices by those in leadership positions, be they pack leaders or parents (or other role-models and enviornmental effects) have a much higher likelihood of producing a bad result (idiot criminals and/or violent dogs) than do the practices of responsible leaders.

Pit Bulls aren't very good guard dogs. You may not believe me, but they are so human-friendly by nature that they often become curious about people rather than going on alert. Good guard dogs will rapidly alert when they smell, hear, see, or otherwise sense something with which they are not comfortable. You'll find that the herding and "working" breeds (the various Shepherds and sheep-dogs) tend to be the best guard dogs by nature. These breeds form an attachment not only with the people in the family, but with the "territory" they see as that of their "pack." Thus, they express their concern and displeasure when people or animals who encroach on their "territory." This displeasure manifests in barking and general agitation that serves to advise their owner that something needs looking into. Pits will very often let you walk right up to them and pet them without so much as a bark. Try that with a Shepherd - you'll be called out as soon as they sense you in "their" territory.

You may be confusing deterrent effect with guarding effect. Certainly a person with dishonorable intent might think twice about stepping into an area where a large Rottweiler is mulling about. And with good reason. But if you want a good guard dog, get a herder (or a Doberman...but they're good guard dogs because of breeding, not their nature).

With regard to what you see on the news - you'd better get your grain of salt ready. In general, the "news" is hardly the news. Consider the willful ignorance and partisanship with which news agencies report on politics, global warming...err...climate change, the economy, the mortgage meltdown...err...the economic crisis, the health care bill, cap and trade, the debt and deficit, and unemployment (among many other issues). Think of the transgressions of politicians that pass without comment. Consider the irresponsibility the media has shown in accepting scientific "consensus" rather than investigating what it appears may largely be sham-science with regard to the climate. They also failed us by not covering all of the aspects of the recent mortgage meltdown - the irresponsibility they displayed by under-reporting the Friends of Angelo and the CRA was matched only by the over-reporting they did on the bad choices the bankers made by increasing LTVs and DTIs and decreasing FICO and income documentation requirements. Most importantly; they utterly failed to provide the issue in toto by framing it in context so that a viewer could come to his own, informed conclusion.

Our perception of all of these issues, and many more, is marked by the willful ignorance of the media. Why would they be any different when reporting on other issues - particularly issues colored with the patina of "if it bleeds, it leads." In short, do your own research. Don't believe everything you read or hear - particularly from people who may have an agenda.

And in summary, it's not the nature of the dogs; no matter how much you want it to be. As with many things, what we "see" is the result of a failure of a system of systems; not the entirety of the process which led to the failure.

Owning pit bull = owning a gun. Get casual in your ownership and harm is going to come to somebody.

Pick said:
Owning pit bull = owning a gun. Get casual in your ownership and harm is going to come to somebody.
It's worse. Guns have no temperment. They can't 'snap' and attack someone on their own.

Pick said:
It's worse. Guns have no temperment. They can't 'snap' and attack someone on their own.
Well, it's not a perfect analogy. :lmao:The point is that vigilant ownership is the key.

Never met a Pit Bull I didn't like.

Great dogs, it's the owners and breeders (of some of them) that should be put down.

You don't often read stories about other large breeds like Golden or Lab Retrievers killing kids. Sorry, its not just the owners, its the dog.

Heavy B said:
Sinrman said:

I really don't want to devolve into internet word-fighting messsage board Kunf Fu :thumbup: . But I can't help but ask whether you have direct experience with Pit Bulls or other medium or large dominant breeds. They don't have "alpha dog" in their blood. All dogs are pack predators. True, that if left to their own devices, an alpha will rise to a leadership position in a pack. And true, this can be a bloody process. But those are the rules ferae naturae. There are a number of other rules that govern pack formation; and every dog constantly vying to be the alpha is not one of them. In the matter under discussion, human influence is one of those factors. If dogs or any other mammalian pack predators pursued their "alpha blood" in the manner which you seem to imply, then dogs, lions, wolves, hyenas, and primates would have killed themselves long ago.

Pits , along with most of the large breeds we've discussed in this thread, are dominant dogs. But this terminology refers to an overall personality trait of extreme confidence. There is no "switch" to be flipped. This concept is the product of years of inaccurate treatment in the media compounded by the recent proclivity of our culture to trend toward risk-averse, hand-wringing, over-protectiveness. It is true that if not correctly handled, any dog can become dangerous. It is also true that, physics being what it is, large dogs can run faster and bite harder. Thus, they can be more dangerous than small dogs. But this dangerousness manifest itself as the end of a process that is as predictable in people and other animals as it is in dogs.

GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out. Bad practices by those in leadership positions, be they pack leaders or parents (or other role-models and enviornmental effects) have a much higher likelihood of producing a bad result (idiot criminals and/or violent dogs) than do the practices of responsible leaders.

Pit Bulls aren't very good guard dogs. You may not believe me, but they are so human-friendly by nature that they often become curious about people rather than going on alert. Good guard dogs will rapidly alert when they smell, hear, see, or otherwise sense something with which they are not comfortable. You'll find that the herding and "working" breeds (the various Shepherds and sheep-dogs) tend to be the best guard dogs by nature. These breeds form an attachment not only with the people in the family, but with the "territory" they see as that of their "pack." Thus, they express their concern and displeasure when people or animals who encroach on their "territory." This displeasure manifests in barking and general agitation that serves to advise their owner that something needs looking into. Pits will very often let you walk right up to them and pet them without so much as a bark. Try that with a Shepherd - you'll be called out as soon as they sense you in "their" territory.

You may be confusing deterrent effect with guarding effect. Certainly a person with dishonorable intent might think twice about stepping into an area where a large Rottweiler is mulling about. And with good reason. But if you want a good guard dog, get a herder (or a Doberman...but they're good guard dogs because of breeding, not their nature).

With regard to what you see on the news - you'd better get your grain of salt ready. In general, the "news" is hardly the news. Consider the willful ignorance and partisanship with which news agencies report on politics, global warming...err...climate change, the economy, the mortgage meltdown...err...the economic crisis, the health care bill, cap and trade, the debt and deficit, and unemployment (among many other issues). Think of the transgressions of politicians that pass without comment. Consider the irresponsibility the media has shown in accepting scientific "consensus" rather than investigating what it appears may largely be sham-science with regard to the climate. They also failed us by not covering all of the aspects of the recent mortgage meltdown - the irresponsibility they displayed by under-reporting the Friends of Angelo and the CRA was matched only by the over-reporting they did on the bad choices the bankers made by increasing LTVs and DTIs and decreasing FICO and income documentation requirements. Most importantly; they utterly failed to provide the issue in toto by framing it in context so that a viewer could come to his own, informed conclusion.

Our perception of all of these issues, and many more, is marked by the willful ignorance of the media. Why would they be any different when reporting on other issues - particularly issues colored with the patina of "if it bleeds, it leads." In short, do your own research. Don't believe everything you read or hear - particularly from people who may have an agenda.

And in summary, it's not the nature of the dogs; no matter how much you want it to be. As with many things, what we "see" is the result of a failure of a system of systems; not the entirety of the process which led to the failure.
Very :lmao:

Otis said:
modogg said:
Otis said:
golfguy said:
:rolleyes: sorry but if a neighbor had one, and it already jumped the fence. it's over. animal control or whomever or a silencer.

:banned:

Dog Bite-related Fatalities in the United States.[43]

Year Total Involving pit bull-type dogs

2005 28 16 (57%)

2006 30 16 (53%)

2007 35 20 (57%)

2008 23 15 (65%)

2009 31 14 (45%)

Large percentage for one breed of dog.

You don't often read stories about other large breeds like Golden or Lab Retrievers killing kids. Sorry, its not just the owners, its the dog.
That's because the media is screwing with us. There are a brzillion kids killed each year by Golden Retrievers.

Dog Bite-related Fatalities in the United States.[43]

Year Total Involving pit bull-type dogs

2005 28 16 (57%)

2006 30 16 (53%)

2007 35 20 (57%)

2008 23 15 (65%)

2009 31 14 (45%)

Large percentage for one breed of dog.
Just means large percentage of bad owners. Stop spinning everything.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
I'm unclear on why anyone would take the chance of reporting this to the neighbor's insurer. Having read many of these threads I am certain that most Pit Owners will not get rid of their beloved pet simply because their insurance has been canceled. What you would have then is a restentful neighbor harboring a Pit with no insurance. Sure, a few might decide to get rid of the dog, but the downside here seems considerable.
Why blast anything? A cut of steak with a lot of rat poison inside should do the trick.

Cleo Taurus said:
For those who claim it is the owners and not the breed, might I remind you that these dogs were bred to attack other animals (humans included). Despite an extremely tiny percentage of the pit bull population, the breed is hard-wired to attack. It's programmed in their DNA.
:no: did you even bother to research anything about the breed before you posted this, or are you going from the news?

TexanFan02 said:
StrikeS2k said:
Chaka said:
Let's just round them all up and exterminate the species.
:thumbdown:
:thumbdown:
:lmao:And when they are all dead we can start on the Rottweilers then the Dobermans then the Chows then the Boxers etc. And when all the evil dogs are finally exterminated we can start bubble wrapping the cars and airplanes and bullets and buildings with corners and the bottom of ice cream cones and before you know it we will live in a perfectly safe world.

And when they are all dead we can start on the Rottweilers then the Dobermans then the Chows then the Boxers etc. And when all the evil dogs are finally exterminated we can start bubble wrapping the cars and airplanes and bullets and buildings with corners and the bottom of ice cream cones and before you know it we will live in a perfectly safe world.
And that would be bad.....how?I like the idea of living in a perfectly safe world.

And when they are all dead we can start on the Rottweilers then the Dobermans then the Chows then the Boxers etc. And when all the evil dogs are finally exterminated we can start bubble wrapping the cars and airplanes and bullets and buildings with corners and the bottom of ice cream cones and before you know it we will live in a perfectly safe world.
And that would be bad.....how?I like the idea of living in a perfectly safe world.
Me too, and after I kill all the humans it will be.

Safe for who? There will always be a food chain.

Safe for me. As the last human I AM the top of the food chain.

Safe for me. As the last human I AM the top of the food chain.
You would last about six months on your own.

StrikeS2k said:
Chaka said:
Let's just round them all up and exterminate the species.
:lmao:
:goodposting: Could probably do this humanelySo what if it is caused by irresponsible owners. If your kid or your pet got killed by someone else's pit bull would it really make you feel any better that the owner was irresponsible?

Number of deaths from dog attack in 2008: 23

Number of deaths from:

Tobacco - 435,000

Being fat and Lazy - 365,000

Alcohol - 85,000

Microbial Agents - 75,000

Toxic Agents - 55,000

Motor Vehicle Crashes - 26,347

Prescription Drugs - 32,000

Suicide - 30,622

Firearms - 29,000

Homicide - 20,308

Sex - 20,000

Drug use - 17,000

Asprin - 7,600

Marijuana - 0

But yeah, let's get rid of the dogs, that'll make us safe.

And spare me the non-fatal attack argument because all of the causes listed above have non-fatal outcomes as well.

Otis said:
modogg said:
Sorry for the long post there, but bottom line is the idea that the breed of pit bull (which is about as ambiguous as you want it to be) is "bad" is just dumb and ignorant.
No, really, it's not, assuming by "bad" we mean "lethal."
:lmao: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: Seriously, we need to just eliminate these breeds. Saw some injuries firsthand this past week. Woman's breast, calf, and hamstring were completely torn off. The guy watching the dog, who is actually a very good guy, was asleep when the dog leaped over a fence, struggled out of his chain, and bit this victim for no reason. He now has a criminal record because of this breed.

We should just make people criminally liable for the actions of their pets (assault, manslaughter, etc.). You would see a decrease in the amount of Pit Bulls overnight.

I've been hospitalized twice because of dogs. Once by a lab, and another time by a golden. Dogs are aggressive creatures and any type of dog with the physical capability to be lethal likely has a history of attacks. I get that for some dog breeds the odds aren't as high (IIRC Dalmations are actually the worst), but any type of bigger dog has caused some substantial bodily harm to some victim.

I've been hospitalized twice because of dogs. Once by a lab, and another time by a golden. Dogs are aggressive creatures and any type of dog with the physical capability to be lethal likely has a history of attacks. I get that for some dog breeds the odds aren't as high (IIRC Dalmations are actually the worst), but any type of bigger dog has caused some substantial bodily harm to some victim.
Why do dogs hate you?

My personal dog theory is that at some point they're all going to get snippy from either disease or old age. With that in mind, ownership of any dog that can't be kicked across the room should require some sort of special licensing procedure.

How many other ways have you been injured during your life?And please define your use of the word "hospitalized".

Why do dogs hate you?
Clearly they have been reading his posts here.

Do any of the girlfriends family members have german shepherds?

Users who are viewing this thread