What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You have the next ten years to make the most money possible…what do you do? (1 Viewer)

Learn a trade. HVAC, Electrician, etc.
This was going to be my non-schtick answer.

I've even contemplated it a few times over the past 5-10 years, but can't take the first 3 year hit to the finances with a wife, 2 kids, mortgage, cars, etc.  I know I could ultimately earn more revenue being an electrician over the next 10 years and end up being my own boss at the end, but the debt I would incur just maintaining our current lifestyle (plus the physical wear and tear on my 44 yr old body) would put me so far behind and is too much risk to take.

If I had known what I know now about the construction industry 20 years ago when I was in my mid-20's without kids, I would have made the jump and be in tremendous financial shape by now with much more flexibility and control over my schedule/life.

Learn a trade. HVAC, Electrician, etc.

This was going to be my non-schtick answer.

I've even contemplated it a few times over the past 5-10 years, but can't take the first 3 year hit to the finances with a wife, 2 kids, mortgage, cars, etc.  I know I could ultimately earn more revenue being an electrician over the next 10 years and end up being my own boss at the end, but the debt I would incur just maintaining our current lifestyle (plus the physical wear and tear on my 44 yr old body) would put me so far behind and is too much risk to take.

If I had known what I know now about the construction industry 20 years ago when I was in my mid-20's without kids, I would have made the jump and be in tremendous financial shape by now with much more flexibility and control over my schedule/life.

The wear and tear is tough, but we've been making $60-$75 an hour painting houses and handyman work on the side.   HVAC, plumbing, and electrician would be my 20 year answer, but losing time in trade school and working for someone else for a couple of years would eat up too much time vs. picking up a brush and cash flowing tomorrow.

The wear and tear is tough, but we've been making $60-$75 an hour painting houses and handyman work on the side.   HVAC, plumbing, and electrician would be my 20 year answer, but losing time in trade school and working for someone else for a couple of years would eat up too much time vs. picking up a brush and cash flowing tomorrow.
That really is the lynch pin in answering.  If I could somehow get bills paid while being able to learn a new trade/degree/skill, I would do it in a heartbeat.  

I would spend the first year learning an old obscure programming language that has uses in remote locations on the planet. These places have trouble hiring programmers and they do not have the capital necessary to rewrite software. Working in remote locations doing 28 days on, 28 days off also pays more than typical jobs.

During my 28 days off I could possibly do a handyman service doing small concrete jobs. I can pour steps, sidewalks, and small patios with no help at all. This would let me keep my overhead low.

I would have no family life or time off, but i could probably do ~300 a year with this strategy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread