What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your 5 "MUST HAVES" in redraft for 2018 (1 Viewer)

I just don't see it with him.  He can hit a big gap with speed and catch a wide open pass in the flat but that does not make a starting NFL RB.  both Breida and Willams are superior inside runners with better patience and vision.  McKinnon's only chance of success is if Jimmy is lighting it up and keeping the defense reeling.  JMO on what i've seen of him.  I have him ranked as RB#22.   
I understand not liking a player, but McKinnon was RB17 last season, on an offense that he wasn't featured in, with all the issues that you have described. So now he is going to a new, more innovative offense, where he will be featured (at least 1a of 2 man rbcc) and you have him dropping 5 spots?

This is an interesting point.  I've always been kind of an anti-Stafford guy and not totally sure why.  After seeing this, I thought I'd look into his consistency more.  Using the play index at PFR, I arbitrarily grabbed QB seasons with 250 or more FP in the past 5 years.  There were 77 such seasons.  Only 5 QBs have done it all 5 years: Brady, Brees, Rivers, Wilson and Stafford.
Over the past 5 seasons, Stafford has ranked QB4, 15, 8, 7, 6 in terms of total fantasy points each season. In terms of fantasy ppg (based on QBs that played in at least 8 games), he ranked 6, 18, 11, 8, and 8 over the last 5 years. His ADP right now is QB10. For people that end up with him, I think you could do a lot worse, As long as people don't expect him to make a huge leap, you'll get what you pay for and maybe a little extra. Bear in mind, though, that over the past 5 years he ranks 2nd in total attempts (to Brees) but 6th in total fantasy points . . . meaning that if his passing volume drops, he hasn't been as efficient as some other QBs and sheer volume may not carry the day.

Chris Hogan - Amendola and Cooks are vacating a ton of targets.  Edelman is coming off injury and suspension.  Gronk is a beast but tends to be a gamble to play 16.  Love Hogan.
Love Hogan. He was WR10 after week 8 last season and basically didn't play the rest of the year. Cooks is now gone and Edelman is coming back from an injury/suspension. FBGs have him at WR39???

Not sure of ADP data here but here goes. 

I want Derrick Henry this year like I wanted Gurley last year.

Guice seems like the best rookie rb value with pretty big upside. 

Tyler Lockett will explode. 

Kyle Rudolph will be my TE radar in mid rounds. 

Probably Gallup late. 

One of either RBs Clement PHI or Cohen CHI --- one or both of these guys will outpace their draft positions. Especially in PPR. I get them mixed up sometimes. 

RB Kenyan Drake  MIA - I hate the idea of taking a Dolphin, but I was impressed with Drake at the end of last year. He has a top elusiveness rating.

WR Michael Thomas NO - Young, injury free, rock solid consistency

WR Robby Anderson NYJ - if he can stay out of jail I am a believer

TE Engram NYG - I think the return of Beckham and the addition of Barkley actually add to his value. 

This is an interesting point.  I've always been kind of an anti-Stafford guy and not totally sure why.  After seeing this, I thought I'd look into his consistency more.  Using the play index at PFR, I arbitrarily grabbed QB seasons with 250 or more FP in the past 5 years.  There were 77 such seasons.  Only 5 QBs have done it all 5 years: Brady, Brees, Rivers, Wilson and Stafford.
I’ve taken Stanford where I could for years as a QBFF for all the reasons the good doctor pointed out. 

Unfortunately when I needed him most Stanford would often let me down.

That all said, with arguably his best weapons in years, with what should be an emerging Galloday I am for sure going to target Stanford in the later rounds as a QB1 or QB2 where I grab a couple guys and hope for the best. 

I just don't see it with him.  He can hit a big gap with speed and catch a wide open pass in the flat but that does not make a starting NFL RB.  both Breida and Willams are superior inside runners with better patience and vision.  McKinnon's only chance of success is if Jimmy is lighting it up and keeping the defense reeling.  JMO on what i've seen of him.  I have him ranked as RB#22.   
I’ve seen plenty of Breida & Williams and could not disagree more.

PPR there’s no way McKinnon is RB22. Dudes gonna catch 60-70 balls out of the backfield. The receptions alone will put him top 12. 

No offense but I find that a bit out there as a prediction, barring injury. 

Since i am critiquing others i should put up my must have's this year:

1) Alex Collins - The predator has an improved healthy O-line and the team has some receiving weapons for once.  i can't wait to see what he does this year.   he is vicious.

2) Kerryon Johnson - best RB patience i've seen since Bell.  people will be down on him because of Detroits lack of RB success of late.  Don't be like them.

3) Anthony Miller - this guy can play some football.  might take a while to get fully up to speed but i'm not missing this boat.  he's a gamer.

4) Dalvin Cook - Want to see some preseason carries but if he is back i'm all in.  Great 3 down back on a superbowl favorite.  he has vision, hands and explosiveness.  yes please.

5) Smith-Shuster - he's just a bad man.  gonna feast if teams try and take away Brown.  
With you on Collins. I’m a fan and almost listed him. A little worried about how crowded that backfield is with Dixon, wh they’re high on & Allen, who’s shown flashes as well. Collins IMO is the superior back, but hars to bank on him until we know his carries.

With you on Cook. No disagreement. I’m a fan. 

Kerryon Johnson - Riddick is still there, and I’ve been trying to guess a DET breakout RB for years. From what I understand, the OC loves running a committee backfield. He’s said so several times. So I’m not convinced there will be a feature back in DET.  Injuries happen though so time will tell if he gets the touches. 

I don’t know enough about Miller yet but I’m curious to see how he looks. 

Juju’s limitation is that he put up ridiculous production on not a whole lot of touches, which seems unsustainable. I love him- he’s a beast. But the Steeler want to run the ball a ton, and I don’t see Juju getting more than 4-5 catches a game. With ~70 receptions I think he’s a better WR3 than WR2, and much better in non-PPR. 

Last edited by a moderator:
One no one’s mentioned yet I don’t think is Mark Ingram. 

Yeah - he’s out with a suspension. That’s why his ADP is crazy low. 

But the production he’ll give you when he plays is RB1-worthy. 

Kamura is a 1st round pick (which I think is a bit high) but Ingram will give you production close to that at a fraction of he price. If I can make Ingram my RB3-4 I’m fully on board. 

Love Hogan. He was WR10 after week 8 last season and basically didn't play the rest of the year. Cooks is now gone and Edelman is coming back from an injury/suspension. FBGs have him at WR39???
he's wr29 on fbg dd

Fournette
So, for me, Fournette is a classic enigma. His situation is fantastic: excellent talent, strong O-Line, strong D, coach committed to the run, and limited passing game. There's no question he will do well if he stays on the field.

At the same time, his lingering ankle injury is well documented, he's missed games already, and several docs have weighed in saying it won't get any better, and possibly will limit his career in the long-term. If you pick him early on in your drafts, can you afford to have him miss 2-3 games (or more)?

Leaving my non Titans homer rule and drafting Taylor, Rishard, and Henry. I think they are way better than their ADP.

Richie Anderson usually is good enough for a key reserve and his adp is very low.

Spencer Ware isn't chopped liver so he is my last pick lately. Maybe he is not as good as last year's rookie but I will wait and see how much time he gets

Last edited by a moderator:
So, for me, Fournette is a classic enigma. His situation is fantastic: excellent talent, strong O-Line, strong D, coach committed to the run, and limited passing game. There's no question he will do well if he stays on the field.

At the same time, his lingering ankle injury is well documented, he's missed games already, and several docs have weighed in saying it won't get any better, and possibly will limit his career in the long-term. If you pick him early on in your drafts, can you afford to have him miss 2-3 games (or more)?
The other side is pretending every back will play 100% of games and he is the only RB that will be injured. You either like him or you don't; everything else is a spin- he has the talent, opportunity, and production

Jayded said:
For Edelman, I always like to target one guy who was injured the previous year and/or was out for the season before. The risk of those guys returning to form is usually easily mitigated by their ADP. Edelman also is suspended so he should be very cheap this year in the draft. Everyone will clammer for Gronk and forget about him and he could easily perform as a WR2-3 in PPR and be had for WR4-5 price.
Edelman has an ADP of WR29 and 93 overall in PPR leagues. We know he is missing the first four games. 

He’s been less than stellar in trainIng camp so far and by his own admission has said his legs are dead, he’s not in football shape, and he has a long way to go to get back to where he was. 

Not sure he can do that not practicing or playing starting in Week 1. I am a huge JE11 fan and even I won’t touch him. He’s getting drafted ahead of Hogan, which makes no sense to me. Hogan seems like a much better option. 

Between his age, his injury, and his suspension, Edelman should be getting drafted way later than he is. Missing 4 games and then taking another 6 games to get back into things is not worth the draft capital it was lol take roster him. 

Robby Anderson - 16th best wr last year, now getting better role and QB.

Chris Carson - It's the seahawks and rookie is always a rookie and with Pete you never know, cheap/late guy to have.

Trey Burton - #2 wr as TE, playing the Kelce role with the same coordinator. Got paid well and has been good on the field every time.

Will Fuller - another guy who is extremely cheap/late and played excellent with Watson. Love him.

Calvin Cook - I think he's right behind the best (Bell/Gurley/D.JohnsonEzekiel) and you can get him easily. I also think he will have better points than some of those who was mentioned here. 

Robby Anderson - 16th best wr last year, now getting better role and QB.

Chris Carson - It's the seahawks and rookie is always a rookie and with Pete you never know, cheap/late guy to have.

Trey Burton - #2 wr as TE, playing the Kelce role with the same coordinator. Got paid well and has been good on the field every time.

Will Fuller - another guy who is extremely cheap/late and played excellent with Watson. Love him.

Calvin Cook - I think he's right behind the best (Bell/Gurley/D.JohnsonEzekiel) and you can get him easily. I also think he will have better points than some of those who was mentioned here. 
Is that Dalvin’s twin brother?

I get the feeling that people are going to have to pay a premium to land McKinnon. Wouldn't be surprised if he was a late first, early second by the time my Labor Day redraft rolls around.
I like him and would like to get him but I won't own him in a single league at that price.  He needs to be a top ten back just to justify the pick. He hasn't even been named the week one starter yet, has he? I get that he's the Shanahan back but people thought Tevin Coleman was the Shanahan back a few years ago and oops. 

Here are a few of mine, at each position...

QB - Big Ben and Rivers - both are better suited for 6pt passing TD leagues, but this consistent duo has averaged about 4300/30 for 10 straight yrs.  If I miss out on the higher ranked QB's, I find myself drafting these guys in back-to-back later rounds.  Just know you aint getting squat for rushing (Rivers actually had negative yards last year).  I can pretty much guarantee one of these guys will be on my team, if not both.

RB - Kerryon Johnson - LeGarrette Blount will be turning 32 this season, and he is not the TD vulture everyone is making him out to be.  His 18 TD's with the Patriots in 2016 were an aberration, as evidenced by last year's total of 2 on 173 carries in Philly.  Also, he has almost no value as a receiver, getting only 23 targets in the last 3 years.  Theo Riddick is a great pass-catching RB, and will surely see playing time, but he is no real threat as a runner (3.4 YPC).  Lastly, we have Ameer Abdullah and his 3.3 YPC to contend with.  I have Kerryon's floor at around 200 touches / 1000 yards / 5 TD's, and when DET sees what they've got, his ceiling is much higher.  His ADP has him around RB36, making him a very late RB3 or early RB4.  I have been able to draft him consistently as my RB4, but I think he will have RB2 stats by year's end.

WR - Chris Hogan - At his current ADP of around WR38, he is true value hardware.  Cooks, Edelman, and Welker have all become fantasy starters with Brady at the helm.  This year, it's Hogan's turn.  I don't think for one second that Hogan is a special talent, but he is gonna be Brady's go-to WR this year (talent vs opportunity).

TE - Jordan Reed - his ADP has factored in his likelihood of injury more than any player this year, and rightfully so.  Draft him late, then either take a TE2, or play the waiver wire WHEN he goes down.  For the games he is on the field (I didn't say healthy, I said on the field), he will produce as a top tier TE.  He is not for the squeamish fantasy owner, or one that tends to submit their lineups and forget it.

2.11 Rob Gronkowski - less competition for targets gives him even more upside

6.03 Russell Wilson - last year's top fantasy QB falling to round 6

7.11 Isaiah Crowell - starting RB who could wind up with a big workload with Powell aging and McGuire injured

8.06 Robby Anderson - plenty of upside for the 3rd year WR who was a WR2 last year

13.07 Stephen Gostkowski - consistently provides a nice ~2ppg edge over the field at kicker, which is more than you usually get in the late rounds of the draft

Though really there's no such thing as "must have" since there are often a few guys that I like at any point in the draft and I like to play chicken with ADP.

Let's play two: Jarvis Landry (4.12), DJ Moore (10.08), Devontae Booker (11.12), Tyler Eifert (12.09), Jameis Winston (14.04)

The other side is pretending every back will play 100% of games and he is the only RB that will be injured. You either like him or you don't; everything else is a spin- he has the talent, opportunity, and production
Respectfully, I don't understand your point. Sure, anyone can be injured any time, that's life.

Fournette had HAS his final year at LSU, with several re-aggravations. He lost games in his first NFL season due to injury. The doctors are saying this is a chronic condition that will not improve and can flare up at any time, given the stress required on the ankle. This is far from a fluke chance, that is a known risk. I was asking how folks are factoring it into their decisions on Fournette. I think its folly to ignore a known thing completely - the real question is how much does this discount Fournette's value.

Respectfully, I don't understand your point. Sure, anyone can be injured any time, that's life.

Fournette had HAS his final year at LSU, with several re-aggravations. He lost games in his first NFL season due to injury. The doctors are saying this is a chronic condition that will not improve and can flare up at any time, given the stress required on the ankle. This is far from a fluke chance, that is a known risk. I was asking how folks are factoring it into their decisions on Fournette. I think its folly to ignore a known thing completely - the real question is how much does this discount Fournette's value.
Fournette has lost almost 20 lbs so that should help some.

I would factor it into my decision by closely monitoring the depth chart, and making sure I either draft his cuff, or make sure I am first on the waiver wire.  Currently, I think that role goes to TJ Yeldon.

ZWK said:

7.11 Isaiah Crowell - starting RB who could wind up with a big workload with Powell aging and McGuire injured

8.06 Robby Anderson - plenty of upside for the 3rd year WR who was a WR2 last year

13.07 Stephen Gostkowski - consistently provides a nice ~2ppg edge over the field at kicker, which is more than you usually get in the late rounds of the draft

Though really there's no such thing as "must have" since there are often a few guys that I like at any point in the draft and I like to play chicken with ADP.

Let's play two: Jarvis Landry (4.12), DJ Moore (10.08), Devontae Booker (11.12), Tyler Eifert (12.09), Jameis Winston (14.04)
I'd even take Gronk  2.3

ZWK said:

And just how is he doing this?  Either he has to be kicking 80 yard FG's, or NE has to score 30+ more TD's than the rest of the league.   :no:

BTW, I agree with all the rest

ZWK said:

And just how is he doing this?  Either he has to be kicking 80 yard FG's, or NE has to score 30+ more TD's than the rest of the league.   :no:

BTW, I agree with all the rest
The 2 ppg estimate comes from data in one of my dynasty leagues, where I compared the kicker points for the Gostkowski owner with the average kicker points for the other teams in the league over the past 7 seasons. You could probably get a similar estimate just by looking at the raw production, where Gostkowski has been near the top in XP attempts, FG attempts, and FG percentage. Although according to projections for this year the edge might be more in the 1 to 1.5 ppg range.

My 5 are:

Gronk- as Bloom has discussed should have a great start to the year with Edelman out

DeShawn Watson- Even with regression he will have weeks where he blows people away

Ryan Grant- at his ADP he is a steal especially with Cain gone.

Ricky Seals-Jones - Besides Fitz they don't have anyone standing out to catch the ball

Lamar Miller- I don't think Foreman will be back anytime soon and when he does he may be limited.

​

Users who are viewing this thread