What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Youth Soccer - Questions, Discussion and Stories (2 Viewers)

Get used to it.  Club vs HS soccer is incredibly different.  He should take this as a chance to become a leader within the team and help out with this stuff.  Most HS coaches are not going to be near a club level coach.
From conversations with people, my impression is that there's way more emphasis on winning and way less emphasis on player development.

Some surprises and small disappointments in the first week or so of high school soccer for us too...

As expected, my daughter is on the freshman team.  That's neither a surprise or disappointment.  It's where she belongs for now.

We thought maybe 5 or 6 freshmen would be moved to up to Varsity and JV, but it ended up being 8.  

As a result of the above, there are 18 varsity players, 18 JV players and 15 freshmen players.  That's a bit disappointing - not a lot of subs, and the talent on the freshman team drops off really quickly.

The biggest surprise was that the top goal scorer from my daughter's travel team (who I'd say is clearly among the top 6 or 7 freshman players) was left on the freshman team, presumably because of a surplus of forwards on Varsity and JV...while a couple of defenders who had expected to be on the freshmen team were moved up to JV.

End result is that the freshman team has a star striker, my daughter is likely the 2nd best player, there's a really solid goalie, a group of solid travel B teamers...and then a big drop off and few subs.

It's definitely going to be a challenge for her, as her skill-set/mentality has generally been to be a complementary player who doesn't really take over games.

It's definitely going to be a challenge for her, as her skill-set/mentality has generally been to be a complementary player who doesn't really take over games.
That can be a good thing. I know last year in Middle School my son was forced to play the center mid role and not be able to stay back on defense. It worked out well and helped him see the game from a different perspective and have play run through him more.  

From conversations with people, my impression is that there's way more emphasis on winning and way less emphasis on player development.
The thing is it feels like they are hindering the winning because they aren't developing those kids that soccer isn't their primary sport. And in a small school that players need to contribute to be successful.

My son's HS team (he's a junior) had full-length scrimmages against two soccer powerhouses last week.  His school is a small private (about 100 per class) where kids go for the academics and the "quirky culture" but their athletics are typically among the top of "B" conference schools.  The "A" conference teams they faced are the type that recruit statewide and sometimes nationally - both are ranked in the top 15 in the country according to prepsoccer.   

Not sure what the big schools were getting out of this, but hoping it helps to prep my son's team for the season ahead.  As expected, the run-of-play was pretty much in one direction and their third-teamers were probably better than many of our first teamers .  Lost the first game 4-0, which really wasn't as bad as I expected. 

Second game was much more interesting.  In the first 25 minutes our goalie must have made a half-dozen good saves while our offense couldn't string three passes together.  Somehow, we ended up with a free kick about 30 yards out, which our best player put on goal.  The rebound comes to my son unmarked about 8 yards out who finishes for a 1-0 lead.  Hooray for now, except this lit a fire under the opponents, who took the ensuing kickoff, made three passes, and then drilled one top corner from just outside the box.  The game actually stayed 1-1 until the 60th minute and us parents were dreaming of some FA Cup-type magic.  Alas, things fell apart in the final 20 and the game ended 4-1.  Totally dominated, but still respectable.

Looking forward to playing a team more our speed later this week.

We are in H.S. tryout week.  My futsal boys all look good from what I have seen.  Our two strikers are our best players, so I am curious to see how that plays out.  The next two days are gonna be hot as hades.  Should be interesting.

We are in H.S. tryout week.  My futsal boys all look good from what I have seen.  Our two strikers are our best players, so I am curious to see how that plays out.  The next two days are gonna be hot as hades.  Should be interesting.
Love that you have them playing futsal. Both of my boys absolutely loved it and is exceptional for developing technique. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
One of the strikers jumped ahead big time today, when the other one threw a hammy out.  Kids are mostly playing possession, after kick and run covid last year.  No masks is nice for the pictures.  I hope that lasts a few weeks at least.  Kids are melting out there this week.  So humid and hot.  I feel for those already in school without AC. 

First scrimmages last night against other teams. It was a tri-scrimmage so Varsity played two 35 minute games and JV played two 30 minute games against two different teams.

Varsity Game 1 -  Against a District runner up last year at 3A (we are a smaller 2A school). My son came off the bench about 15 minutes in and played RB, switched over to LB after another sub and promptly made a nice tackle on a kid, looked up and found his buddy (the other freshman that made Varsity) with a nice pass to start the counter, two passes later their best player put it home for the only goal in a 1-0 win.

Varsity Game 2 - He started at LB, played about 10 or 12 minutes and pretty much took their right wing out of the game during that time. He sat the rest of that game as he was going to play JV as well.

JV Game 1 - The best wing on JV is out with a knee issue so instead of playing defense he moved up to striker to provide a little more offense. It worked, in the first 5 minutes they forced a turnover and he hit a laser from just outside the corner of the 18 to the upper left to put them up 1-0. Final was 2-0 with his buddy scoring the second goal. He had chance for a second on a break away but the defender got in his way just enough that he hit it straight at the goalie.

JV Game 2 - Played striker and mid in this one but thankfully they didn't play him a ton since he had played in all three previous games. Had a couple chances, hit the crossbar and deflected out on one shot. Later he drew a foul just at the top of the 18 and took the free kick but the goalie saved it. He said after he didn't hit it the way he wanted and he thinks had he that he would have scored. They won 1-0.

Overall good first outing for the teams and my son. I'm obviously partial but skill wise he should likely start on Varsity but I get they are going to give the juniors first shot. And hey if they can keep playing well and winning I'm fine with him getting minutes off the bench on Varsity and getting more touches in playing some JV as well. Especially if they play him forward on JV, I think it helps him as a defender to see the game from that attacking roll.

Last edited by a moderator:
ECNL released their all conference teams yesterday, https://www.ecnlboys.com/2021/08/ecnl-boys-announces-2020-21-conference-players-of-the-year-and-all-conference-teams/

Hoping to see some of our clubs boys on that next year.

First HS game is Saturday night, glad this weather is getting through here now.
We had a good showing for a new ECNL club:

1 player of the year 

5 all conference

2 second team

The GK ahead of my oldest son is on the all conference team.  

My son made varsity as a junior as a striker.  He's the biggest, strongest, and most technical player they have, so no huge surprise.  Last night he started and played the entire first half at striker in a warm up game.  He did really well.  They won 2-1, and he assisted on the first goal.  He grabbed the ball ten yards outside the box, drove past a couple guys, and trucked another on the way in.  He split the last two defenders with a "cheeky lil drop pass" and his buddy finished the bunny.  He had so many great passes in/around the box, that I expect them to move him to the ten.  He is better as that false nine higher up, but he will get more minutes playing both spots though.  It was a fun night.  I was proud.

Had our first regular season game Saturday night. Not much to report it was pretty easy, JV won 5-0, Varsity 10-1. My son started JV and played a good amount of Varsity since they rested the starters with the score the way it was. Almost had his first Varsity goal late in the game, won a free kick just outside penalty box, he took the kick and put a nice shot on it with some curl. Goalie knocked down and most of the players said it bounced in the goal then the goalie grabbed it. But we were up 8 and the ref was shielded so as I told him you aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt in that case.

Big game tonight against the defending 1A State Champion who is a perennial power. Small Christian school but they recruit for soccer, this one will test them for sure.  League play opens Thursday and then a a two game mini tournament on Saturday.

Going to be a busy week. 

We have our first league game tonight for high school at 7pm away.  Still don't know if he is starting, or the first man off the bench.   He doesn't care either way which is good imo.  He is so excited right now that I hope he isn't exhausted by kickoff, lol. 

My 2008 scrimmaged the 2005 girls academy team last week.  Won 5-1.  He is recovering from an ACL sprain and sat the bench.  He's cleared to for contact now so anxious to see him shake the rust off.  They kick off ECNL this weekend.  I am not sure if he'll get many minutes this weekend or not.

My 2006 has his first ever HS game on Thursday.  Small school so he's their starting GK as a freshman (previous GK graduated).  I don't expect them to be very good from what he's seeing in training.  :unsure:  

Lost 4-0 last night to the Defending 1A State Champs, they are a really solid team and the reserves they bring in are as good as their starters. Really not fair that private schools that recruit kids from 8 to 10 different school districts can play down in the lowest division because of their overall size.

That said my son had a good night, played 55 of 60 minutes in JV and had great assist dragging two defenders with him before hitting a nice cross. Game ended in a 1-1 tie.  On Varsity he didn't come on until the 30th minute of the first half and they were already down 3-0. Closed out the first half at midfield instead of his normal defense.  Second half the LB got burned for the second time that night five minutes in to make it 4-0 and my son came in to replace him and played the final 35 minutes. They tested him and despite being exhausted by the end from playing both games he held up and turned away all the runs on his side.

I played around with a demo of a new video program that lets you highlight the subject if anyone is interested in a few short snippits. https://youtu.be/R8rocrgb_mQ

• Smile
Our 2008s and 2009s are heading up to FC Bucks on Sunday for ECNL matches.
Where are you playing?  I hadn't heard yet if we would be playing the ECNL games at our PA Dominion fields or the FC Bucks fields. Selfishly I'm hoping it will be at the PAD fields which are like 25 minutes from me vs FC Bucks that is like an hour and fifteen minutes. Did find out we are going to the Florida ECNL event in January.

SwampDawg said:
Where are you playing?  I hadn't heard yet if we would be playing the ECNL games at our PA Dominion fields or the FC Bucks fields. Selfishly I'm hoping it will be at the PAD fields which are like 25 minutes from me vs FC Bucks that is like an hour and fifteen minutes. Did find out we are going to the Florida ECNL event in January.
Council Rock.

In an awkward spot with my son.  He's being eased in really slow from his ACL sprain; he's probably dressing and not playing.  Going to piss him off :lol:  

Lost 4-0 last night to the Defending 1A State Champs, they are a really solid team and the reserves they bring in are as good as their starters. Really not fair that private schools that recruit kids from 8 to 10 different school districts can play down in the lowest division because of their overall size.

That said my son had a good night, played 55 of 60 minutes in JV and had great assist dragging two defenders with him before hitting a nice cross. Game ended in a 1-1 tie.  On Varsity he didn't come on until the 30th minute of the first half and they were already down 3-0. Closed out the first half at midfield instead of his normal defense.  Second half the LB got burned for the second time that night five minutes in to make it 4-0 and my son came in to replace him and played the final 35 minutes. They tested him and despite being exhausted by the end from playing both games he held up and turned away all the runs on his side.

I played around with a demo of a new video program that lets you highlight the subject if anyone is interested in a few short snippits. https://youtu.be/R8rocrgb_mQ
Looks pretty good with the ball at his feet and decently quick.

That's really cool.  He looks good.  Tell him to not make a habit of trying to turn into the press with someone on his back.  Especially as the last man.  Play it back to the keeper and pop out.  My guess is he knows, but I wouldn't be a good coach if I didn't mention that.  🙂

Looking forward to seeing more footage.

How is this possible?  We have a state rule that you can not play 2 divisions in the same day.  Would help us at a small school if we could.

First game of NPL/Discovery season today (think I have the right acronyms). I wasn't able to make it as I was coaching my youngest son's basketball games, but ended in a 1-1 tie. Sounds like it was a very even match all around and despite the 100 degree heat out in Corona the boys played well.

After the game, got a call from the coach - they're adding my son to the EAL (Elite Academy League) roster and he will be playing up with them for any game that does not conflict with our NPL team schedule. He's a bit nervous, but I'm very proud that in just a couple months with the club he has earned the confidence and trust of the coaches to be pulled up.

My son has three high school games in the next five days.  He better score some goals, lol.  The coach screamed at him last practice.  He passes up so many shots.  Instead he rolls perfect short diagonal through balls or drops chips to his teammates in the the box. .  The problem is he's a sniper shot with both feet, and they miss 90% of the time, lol.  He scored a lefty top corner from the top of the box within five minutes of getting yelled at at least.   Should be a fun week.

How is this possible?  We have a state rule that you can not play 2 divisions in the same day.  Would help us at a small school if we could.
Common across all sports here. A lot of smaller schools, our entire team for JV and Varsity is 30 kids when everyone is healthy so to field full teams kids need to roster on both. Especially given a couple JV kids have been out with injuries. Now the bigger schools where they have 400+ kids in a class (I think my sons freshman class is like 110 kids total) and have 65+ kids come out for a team I am guessing they keep separate rosters. 

How did the games go?
2009's lost 5-2; FC Bucks team was much better from what I watched (saw last 30mins).

2008's won 3-1; def a new team compared to last year; pretty sure we played them in an early season tournament last year.  Some of those kids are giants compared to ours.  I really liked their #9 and #0.  The GK sounded like a dad :lol:  .  He had a howler for the first goal; free kick served up as a pass, but the wind carried it and he fumbled it over his head.  Felt bad for him there.

My son didn't play and is pissed.  He's learning some valuable lessons coming back from a major injury.

Common across all sports here. A lot of smaller schools, our entire team for JV and Varsity is 30 kids when everyone is healthy so to field full teams kids need to roster on both. Especially given a couple JV kids have been out with injuries. Now the bigger schools where they have 400+ kids in a class (I think my sons freshman class is like 110 kids total) and have 65+ kids come out for a team I am guessing they keep separate rosters. 
Interesting - our school is essentially the same for football, with a low number of kids total participating - but they can not play on the same day - fortunately for football a lot of our JV games are on Thursday and varsity games are on Friday, so they can play both, but if they were the same day, they couldn't

2009's lost 5-2; FC Bucks team was much better from what I watched (saw last 30mins).

2008's won 3-1; def a new team compared to last year; pretty sure we played them in an early season tournament last year.  Some of those kids are giants compared to ours.  I really liked their #9 and #0.  The GK sounded like a dad :lol:  .  He had a howler for the first goal; free kick served up as a pass, but the wind carried it and he fumbled it over his head.  Felt bad for him there.

My son didn't play and is pissed.  He's learning some valuable lessons coming back from a major injury.
Yea the keeper for the 08's is a man child. Their practices overlapped a bunch this spring with my sons and the first time I saw them I had to ask someone if he was an older brother helping out at practice or what :)

Our schedule was posted on ECNL's site but I'm sure they will be tweaking it some. I know we are scheduled for PA Classics showcase the first weekend we have games listed.

• Smile
Interesting - our school is essentially the same for football, with a low number of kids total participating - but they can not play on the same day - fortunately for football a lot of our JV games are on Thursday and varsity games are on Friday, so they can play both, but if they were the same day, they couldn't
I can't say for football, our school co-ops football with a neighboring district and only a handful of kids from our school play. It makes sense with football given the physical nature. Soccer and basketball the kids that play travel are use to playing multiple games in a day. Baseball I know from my older son playing they do duel roster kids but usually JV will play away when Varsity is home and vice versa because of waning daylight so you only play one on a given day.

My son has three high school games in the next five days.  He better score some goals, lol.  The coach screamed at him last practice.  He passes up so many shots.  Instead he rolls perfect short diagonal through balls or drops chips to his teammates in the the box. .  The problem is he's a sniper shot with both feet, and they miss 90% of the time, lol.  He scored a lefty top corner from the top of the box within five minutes of getting yelled at at least.   Should be a fun week.
Same here, we play Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday against the other three teams in our division so going 3-0 would go a long way toward the division title. We will play them all once more along with 4 crossover games with another division (already won one of those on Thursday).

Same here, we play Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday against the other three teams in our division so going 3-0 would go a long way toward the division title. We will play them all once more along with 4 crossover games with another division (already won one of those on Thursday).
Selfishly, I just want my guy to score a couple of goals, lol.  He's always been the top goal scorer for club.  Assists are great, but the team needs some goals to win.  I'm already nervous for tonight.  I can't let him know though. 

I say the same three things to my son before every game now...ALWAYS be scanning the field.  That head should be moving.  Two, don't neglect your left foot (passes and shots) and cut corners with outside rights instead.  It makes it easy on defenders.  My son is huge and ambidextrous with his feet.   Last, stay between the hash marks (we have turf). It's not the strikers (or tens) job to win throw ins and defend the sidelines.  Be in the center of the pitch, maintaining the space, ready to drive into the box. You have to be an outlet or finisher. I'm excited.

• Smile
Selfishly, I just want my guy to score a couple of goals, lol.  He's always been the top goal scorer for club.  Assists are great, but the team needs some goals to win.  I'm already nervous for tonight.  I can't let him know though. 

I say the same three things to my son before every game now...ALWAYS be scanning the field.  That head should be moving.  Two, don't neglect your left foot (passes and shots) and cut corners with outside rights instead.  It makes it easy on defenders.  My son is huge and ambidextrous with his feet.   Last, stay between the hash marks (we have turf). It's not the strikers (or tens) job to win throw ins and defend the sidelines.  Be in the center of the pitch, maintaining the space, ready to drive into the box. You have to be an outlet or finisher. I'm excited.
Not really selfish, he's the striker it is his job to score and you need at least one goal to win. As long as he isn't missing passes to wide open guys to try and dribble through two defenders his job is to put it on frame.

You give way more technical advice then I do, then as I've said before all I know about soccer I've learned since my son started playing. I just tell him to play his game and don't try and over compensate and trust the other players to do their job. His biggest adjustment to HS has been playing less aggressive as a defender. With club he can be involved more attacking and making over lapping runs. For HS he needs to stay home more with the system they play plus because other then one other freshman they are all juniors and seniors he hasn't played with most of them before. But he's getting it, first game he played about 25 minutes, next three about 50 minutes and the last game he started and went the full 80. He was only responsible for one goal and that was because he got a questionable push to the back called against him and they scored on the ensuing free kick, it wasn't his directly getting beat.

First game of the season coming up today.  My daughter's team lost 5-0 to the same team in a scrimmage, but my daughter and our goalie got hurt in the first half and didn't play much.  Also, at least one (I'm guessing more) of the freshmen from our JV team will be dropping down to play with the freshmen today, which should help a lot.

Not really selfish, he's the striker it is his job to score and you need at least one goal to win. As long as he isn't missing passes to wide open guys to try and dribble through two defenders his job is to put it on frame.

You give way more technical advice then I do, then as I've said before all I know about soccer I've learned since my son started playing. I just tell him to play his game and don't try and over compensate and trust the other players to do their job. His biggest adjustment to HS has been playing less aggressive as a defender. With club he can be involved more attacking and making over lapping runs. For HS he needs to stay home more with the system they play plus because other then one other freshman they are all juniors and seniors he hasn't played with most of them before. But he's getting it, first game he played about 25 minutes, next three about 50 minutes and the last game he started and went the full 80. He was only responsible for one goal and that was because he got a questionable push to the back called against him and they scored on the ensuing free kick, it wasn't his directly getting beat.
It sounds like he has a good feel for the team. What formation do they use usually?

First game of the season coming up today.  My daughter's team lost 5-0 to the same team in a scrimmage, but my daughter and our goalie got hurt in the first half and didn't play much.  Also, at least one (I'm guessing more) of the freshmen from our JV team will be dropping down to play with the freshmen today, which should help a lot.
Good luck!  Beautiful weather here in the northeast today.

It sounds like he has a good feel for the team. What formation do they use usually?
For HS they play a four man back but it's a Stopper/Sweeper in like a diamond with the two outside backs. It's somewhat archaic from what I've been told, I've never seen it in any of the club games. Seems like against the average HS talent in our area which aren't year round club players it works pretty decent but the two teams that had talented players up top seem to be able to slice through the middle if the outside backs are drawn out wide by the wings.

@PIK95 @Ned and anyone else, do you use any of the recruiting profile tools?  We had to create the profile at Totalsports for ECNL. I just did the basic free one but I see they offer additional options for $99 and $199 per year. I get emails from NCSA all the time I'm guessing from some tournament we played in, they seem to offer similar profile services. We set up a YouTube page for him and once we start using the VEO this fall for club I can pull highlights. He has an Instagram page he only used to follow others that we started posting some game pics to just so he has some social media presence because he really has none.

SwampDawg said:
@PIK95 @Ned and anyone else, do you use any of the recruiting profile tools?  We had to create the profile at Totalsports for ECNL. I just did the basic free one but I see they offer additional options for $99 and $199 per year. I get emails from NCSA all the time I'm guessing from some tournament we played in, they seem to offer similar profile services. We set up a YouTube page for him and once we start using the VEO this fall for club I can pull highlights. He has an Instagram page he only used to follow others that we started posting some game pics to just so he has some social media presence because he really has none.
No, not yet.  Just the basic profiles on TGS (which is a dog #### website).

Our club has a college pathway director.  They have a plan in place for HS players, but we haven't gotten to the point yet to take it seriously since my oldest is just now a Freshman.

SwampDawg said:
We get emails and phone calls from some recruiting organizations, but we haven't followed up yet.  We are definitely slacking on this part imo, especially considering he's a junior..  I should start hunting down his old futsal game streams I guess. 

Need some results @zoobird

Both my kids scored in their U9 games over the weekend.  Both rebound tap-ins, nothing fancy.

Neither one has a ton of hustle, but that's understandable after not doing organized sport for like a year.

SwampDawg said:
For HS they play a four man back but it's a Stopper/Sweeper in like a diamond with the two outside backs. It's somewhat archaic from what I've been told, I've never seen it in any of the club games. Seems like against the average HS talent in our area which aren't year round club players it works pretty decent but the two teams that had talented players up top seem to be able to slice through the middle if the outside backs are drawn out wide by the wings.
sweeper!?

I haven't seen one of those since my college days (eta...in the 80s!). yeah...any decent forward is going to see the seams in that and take advantage of there always being a player ruining the potential offsides trap.

Users who are viewing this thread