What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Youth Soccer - Questions, Discussion and Stories (1 Viewer)

It's a good example of how watered down things are resulting in a lot of talented kids falling through the cracks on the National team level.  USYS & US Club need to work together and become one, IMO.

Then it's all completely different on the girls side.  :loco:  
Yea ad each state association affiliates differently. For Eastern PA our State Cup is run by USYS so our 07 boys won that which qualified them for USYS regionals. Where as with the US Club states they hold a completely different tournament that is separate from the ECNL and NPL playoffs which are for league winners.  It does all get confusing.

SwampDawg said:
Yea ad each state association affiliates differently. For Eastern PA our State Cup is run by USYS so our 07 boys won that which qualified them for USYS regionals. Where as with the US Club states they hold a completely different tournament that is separate from the ECNL and NPL playoffs which are for league winners.  It does all get confusing.
At least the DA is gone.  That was a step in the right direction to get things simpler. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
The Flying Turtle said:
I get confused with all of the letters (ECNL, NPL, etc.) so I had to look this up.  It looks like this is based on teams that won their state cups.  I know our ECNL teams do not play in the state league, only the ECNL league.  It looks like there are some ECNL teams that do play in the state league and that is why they attended this tournament.
I have no idea.  I was just passing on info. 

Ned said:
It's a good example of how watered down things are resulting in a lot of talented kids falling through the cracks on the National team level.  USYS & US Club need to work together and become one, IMO.

Then it's all completely different on the girls side.  :loco:  
I would go back to pay to play.  We lose ALL of our top players from town to other sports once they get to that point.  It's never the top kids who move on to premier, just the people with money.  That's how it is in most of RI anyway.  I would assume it's the same elsewhere.  Many people just don't have that kinda cash to play, let alone pay for the travel.

My kid is supposed to go play Futsal in Spain this winter.  Covid will probably blow it up, but we weren't going anywhere as my business is destroyed.  I am selling things on ebay trying to try and come up with his base premier fee fwiw.  We are already behind. Most people I know just quit.

I would go back to pay to play.  We lose ALL of our top players from town to other sports once they get to that point.  It's never the top kids who move on to premier, just the people with money.  That's how it is in most of RI anyway.  I would assume it's the same elsewhere.  Many people just don't have that kinda cash to play, let alone pay for the travel.

My kid is supposed to go play Futsal in Spain this winter.  Covid will probably blow it up, but we weren't going anywhere as my business is destroyed.  I am selling things on ebay trying to try and come up with his base premier fee fwiw.  We are already behind. Most people I know just quit.
We're pay to play, and pretty expensive, but also have a pretty deep pool of $ for scholarships that gets wiped out very quickly.  It ranges from full ride to 25% off based on family income.  Its funded by the club and various sponsors.

I'd wager that half of the kids that have either moved on to the Union Academy or have been heavily scouted by them were on our scholarship program.

We're pay to play, and pretty expensive, but also have a pretty deep pool of $ for scholarships that gets wiped out very quickly.  It ranges from full ride to 25% off based on family income.  Its funded by the club and various sponsors.

I'd wager that half of the kids that have either moved on to the Union Academy or have been heavily scouted by them were on our scholarship program.
We have scholarships here also, but that kinda proves my point.  The scholarships always go to the top players at u10, it doesn't help improve the talent pool at all.  In my experience, many of the top kids at u10 are not even in the conversation by u16.

25 year coach here...

Pay to play is absolutely a killer and we (soccer) are losing kids to other sports.  Sort of.  Aau basketball has the same model...lacrosse, etc.  Football is a big one since that is mostly local parks with low fees comparatively. 

The bigger problem I see is coaching.  Even though soccer is one one of the only sports in the US that requires official licensing, I still see a lack of making it fun.  I always viewed my job with the younger kids: 1. Make it fun, 2. Make sure they want to keep playing 3. See 1 & 2.  

Too many coaches are too harsh, focus on 1 aspect too much, and honestly just make it boring.  I see coaches at u10 trying to tell kids they have to focus on only soccer.  Ridiculous.  You have to make them want to come back.  Job #1 as a youth coach.  Then, as they get older, start upping the level and commitment.

Every year I start to write a youth coaching book and every year I get the outline done and give up.  It's almost pointless. 

Last edited by a moderator:
25 year coach here...

Pay to play is absolutely a killer and we (soccer) are losing kids to other sports.  Sort of.  Aau basketball has the same model...lacrosse, etc.  Football is a big one since that is mostly local parks with low fees comparatively. 

The bigger problem I see is coaching.  Even though soccer is one one of the only sports in the US that requires official licensing, I still see a lack of making it fun.  I always viewed my job with the younger kids: 1. Make it fun, 2. Make sure they want to keep playing 3. See 1 & 2.  

Too many coaches are too harsh, focus on 1 aspect too much, and honestly just make it boring.  I see coaches at u10 trying to tell kids they have to focus on only soccer.  Ridiculous.  You have to make them want to come back.  Job #1 as a youth coach.  Then, as they get older, start upping the level and commitment.

Every year I start to write a youth coaching book and every year I get the outline done and give up.  It's almost pointless. 
I agree 100%  I used to say that to my coaches, lol.  The parent coaches and the pro coaches.  Our main job, is to make sure they come back.  So true.  Gotta keep it fun.  Lol, my #2 rule was they have to use both feet fwiw.  Many did!

Pay to play is rough, but in America are there any non pay-to-play sports really? It's a definite barrier to entry for many, but as long as there are parents willing to pay, and coaches/clubs willing to cash those checks, the system is going to stay.

Pay to play is rough, but in America are there any non pay-to-play sports really? It's a definite barrier to entry for many, but as long as there are parents willing to pay, and coaches/clubs willing to cash those checks, the system is going to stay.
Football is about the only one because almost all recruiting is done from high school and while there are pony leagues for kids I’ve never heard of travel programs for older kids. Basketball is AAU and plenty of travel, travel baseball has pretty much destroyed Legion baseball (which at least in our area paid for everything for players). Heck 8u to 12u baseball in our area has even been decimated by travel programs.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Football is about the only one because almost all recruiting is done from high school and while there are pony leagues for kids I’ve never heard of travel programs for older kids. Basketball is AAU and plenty of travel, travel baseball has pretty much destroyed Legion baseball (which at least in our area paid for everything for players). Heck 8u to 12u baseball in our area has even been decimated by travel programs.

Same here in Southern California - for football there are travel/club passing league teams at the high school level, but most of the highest level ones are essentially offseason programs for the top high schools

We have scholarships here also, but that kinda proves my point.  The scholarships always go to the top players at u10, it doesn't help improve the talent pool at all.  In my experience, many of the top kids at u10 are not even in the conversation by u16.
That's a broken process, IMO.  Talent and age should never be part of the equation.

But I do agree with you.  Soccer is far too expensive and has been something I've worked on for our club for a while.  The only way to truly tackle it is through deep sponsorships.

That's a broken process, IMO.  Talent and age should never be part of the equation.

But I do agree with you.  Soccer is far too expensive and has been something I've worked on for our club for a while.  The only way to truly tackle it is through deep sponsorships.
That's my point.  It's ALWAYS a broken process because the coaches and clubs will do anything to get the best young players at their clubs.  The scholarship kid will usually being a "friend" along with him. This is usually a lesser player with a family that has deep pockets. Losing those two (or more) players also messes up the development of the team they left.  They are usually replaced with weaker players that may be available. When it comes to improving our future national team pool, our system is absurd imo.  

• Sad
Reactions: Ned
There is a lot that could be improved but having been involved in managing a youth baseball league I think soccer surprisingly is in a better place. At least in our area travel baseball teams seem to have even a wider variety of talent variance on a team because of pay to play. You also see a lot of travel teams pop up that have one or two age groups because a group of parents got together and formed it and then poof they are gone. All the while they are cannibalizing area youth programs and traditional programs like Legion ball and they never come back leaving the next generation without any local league to get started. Soccer clubs for the most part seem to be more encompassing and stable at least from what I have seen.

The biggest issue I saw when we looked at clubs when my son decided he wanted to make soccer his primary and move up from the town based club travel team was the tryout process. It was early in the year and really favored kids that played on year round teams already versus a kid that had maybe played basketball all winter and not had a chance to play soccer since fall and whose spring season was maybe a week into practice. That and the small sided games they would use favored kids that were showoffs for lack of a better term. The kid who played unselfishly and made the pass instead of taking two kids on didn't stand out. Also the win now attitude of some clubs we looked at was obvious, they would pass over more athletic kids that maybe didn't have the refined first touch for a kid that looked great with ball at his feet but athletically would get run down all day long. They didn't want to develop kids. Not saying all clubs were like that but we saw it often.

Our current club is U13 and above but they have an agreement with 5 area town clubs. They provide training, camps, clinics and such for those clubs at all their age groups from U6 up through U18 but it gets them exposure to these kids and to see kids develop and work with them.  I'd say 75% of our team has gotten there because they played at these affiliated clubs.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Documented my son's dilemma about a month ago when looking at options for a team in the Kids Accomplishment thread - not rehashing that all here, but this weekend will be a great test for his new team. His team plays NPL Discovery, and in the tournament they are in this weekend, 2 of their 3 pool games are against ECNL teams, so should be a real good test to see where our team is, and the 3rd is against another NPL team.

In the two friendlies/scrimmages he's played with the new team, he has yet to concede a goal, playing against other NPL level teams. I have no expectations heading into this weekend, I know from what the parents more experienced with going against these teams have said we are slight underdogs in these games, but should be able to compete.

Documented my son's dilemma about a month ago when looking at options for a team in the Kids Accomplishment thread - not rehashing that all here, but this weekend will be a great test for his new team. His team plays NPL Discovery, and in the tournament they are in this weekend, 2 of their 3 pool games are against ECNL teams, so should be a real good test to see where our team is, and the 3rd is against another NPL team.

In the two friendlies/scrimmages he's played with the new team, he has yet to concede a goal, playing against other NPL level teams. I have no expectations heading into this weekend, I know from what the parents more experienced with going against these teams have said we are slight underdogs in these games, but should be able to compete.
Keep us updated how it goes. Want to hear about accomplishments in this thread as well as sharing ideas and complaining :)

Looks like we are visiting @SwampDawg on 9/12 (The fall games get messy with the HS ages so not sure we will actually see you)

and  @PIK95 is coming our way on 3/19. 

Ned said:
Looks like we are visiting @SwampDawg on 9/12 (The fall games get messy with the HS ages so not sure we will actually see you)

and  @PIK95 is coming our way on 3/19. 

Yea we are off as of yesterday until the school season is over, just some Sunday morning kick arounds. 

SwampDawg said:
Keep us updated how it goes. Want to hear about accomplishments in this thread as well as sharing ideas and complaining :)
I'll just update this post for this weekend's games.

Game 1 vs. ECNL Team - They are a completely retooled ECNL team from the club we actually came from. New coach and 90% new roster, including one of my son's center backs from last season. They were good, and you can tell the difference at this level can be razor thin. We lost 4-0, and while my son is bummed as he got fingers on a few of them, none were shots/situations where he'd of had a decent shot at a save anyway. They had a very strong right wing and on their first 3 possessions he beat our defender but didn't capitalize. 1 save and 2 missed crosses. But the 4th time we turned the corner for a clean shot. My son got fingertips on it but it wasn't enough. Substitution and we slowed that down. 1-0 at half time. 2nd goal was a PK, son made the right read, low and to the left, but shot had just enough velocity and was wide enough that he could only get fingertips on it, not quite enough to push it out. The other two were breakaway situations. On the first he challenged and got the initial deflection, but they beat our defense back and tapped it in. 4th goal was similar situation, long ball over the top to a breakaway, he challenged on the bounce, tipped it while taking a knee to the face/shoulder (more of a glancing blow), but again they beat the defense back and tapped it in for the final 4-0. Definitely a game where I think that the score doesn't reflect how close it really was (they were definitely a better team than us right now, but not 4 goals better), and didn't help that we lost our best defender to injury just before the half, as once we settled in after the first several possessions, their attack was stymied until we had to shift some personnel to account for not having our main center back in their anymore. Hoping he is okay for game two in a couple hours.

Game 2 vs. NPL/Pre-ECNL Team - This one was a bit more frustrating. We lost 3-0 which is fine and we played much better than the 1st game, just frustrating in the sense that we probably out shot them 12-6 with a ton of near misses and likely had a 65-35 possession time advantage. 1st 2 goals conceded were tough - 1st one he made the initial save but couldn't hold it and wing just beat the defender for the follow up. 2nd one was a turnover turned into breakaway for them resulting in a relatively easy cross for the follow up. Third one I'll need to rewatch the video, just a solid shot. Not really any defensive lapse, just a banger.

Game 3 vs. ECNL Team - Even though the score doesn't show it, we actually played decently against this team who was far and away the best team in our pool and the odds on favorite to win the tournament (there's a couple other ECNL teams from the other pools that will give them a run for their money, but these guys should be the favorites). They were just a step faster on each 50/50 ball, killed us with several perfectly placed crosses and scored on 3 deflected first shots (realistically my son probably should have been able to hold on to one of the 3, but I'm also the type that thinks he should be able to hold on to just about everything). It didn't help that our starting right back fractured his collarbone in yesterday's second game on a freak play, but the boys definitely stepped up. We had a solid 10-15 minute run in the second half where we dominated possession, were first to the ball every time and get a score. Final score was 7-1.

All in all though, as for our first tournament with this team I was happy with what I saw. Playing 3 games against teams that should be better than you is never easy, but the kids kept their heads high and it definitely exposed a few things that our coach will work on in preparation for the next tournament, where our matchups are closer to our level. I've always been a proponent of playing up when you can so you can see the level that you can be at and to strive for, and I think this was a good case of that.

Ned said:
Totally agree, I love winning as much as anyone but I always thought the perfect season was one that you go like 8 wins, 4 losses and a couple ties. So you are having success but playing against competition that pushes you. Do a few tournaments above your level to push yourself and mix a couple in at the right level so the kids can taste success for the hard work. It doesn't always work out that way, sometimes you are better then expected and make it look easy, sometimes you aren't as good and suffer but that is my "ideal"

Totally agree, I love winning as much as anyone but I always thought the perfect season was one that you go like 8 wins, 4 losses and a couple ties. So you are having success but playing against competition that pushes you. Do a few tournaments above your level to push yourself and mix a couple in at the right level so the kids can taste success for the hard work. It doesn't always work out that way, sometimes you are better then expected and make it look easy, sometimes you aren't as good and suffer but that is my "ideal"

Exactly this. I tell my basketball parents that a perfect mix of games for me at the younger ages is 10-15% above our level so the kids can see where we can be (this means games we should likely lose by 10 or more points), 10-15% below our level so the kids can get some "easy" successes and try out new things we are trying to do in a less tense situation, and 70-80% of games right at our level or just slightly above our level (ie if we played a team 10 times, should be close to a 50/50 split).

Easier said than done, especially for tournaments where there may be a wide range of skill levels and teams can self identify what level they are at, but it's what we strive for

Exactly this. I tell my basketball parents that a perfect mix of games for me at the younger ages is 10-15% above our level so the kids can see where we can be (this means games we should likely lose by 10 or more points), 10-15% below our level so the kids can get some "easy" successes and try out new things we are trying to do in a less tense situation, and 70-80% of games right at our level or just slightly above our level (ie if we played a team 10 times, should be close to a 50/50 split).

Easier said than done, especially for tournaments where there may be a wide range of skill levels and teams can self identify what level they are at, but it's what we strive for

I imagine it's hard for your guys on the coaching/admin side. Parents want little Timmy to win. But IMO, little Timmy should be learning and growing as a player- winning is pretty far down the list for me. Best way to learn and grow is to play more difficult opponents and lose- apply what you've learned and try to step your game (individually and collectively) up. But it's also useful to learn by winning- getting to install what you're trying to learn easier in game-situations when the other team can't run with you. So yeah- a good healthy mix of playing above, at and below ability should be put to use, with emphasis on growth more than results.

Ok so for all the soccer threads we have I always feel bad dragging them off topic to talk about the youth side so I started this thread a few years ago with no traction, going to try again to get it going.

I've learned a ton over the past 11 years from U6 up to U16 now, still have a ton more to learn, hoping to make this a thread a place we can share war stories and ask questions on our kids youth soccer days.

First @Righettiwhat is the latest on your coaching exploits and daughters team?

On my sons front it's been a wild two years. Plan had been to stay with the team he moved to (do to the club he had been at consolidating teams) for a year then explore his options. Well Covid nixed that as very few teams held tryouts in spring 2020. In the end it worked out great, his team he was playing for brought in a trainer for their weekday training sessions from a high level club they are affiliated with. He just happened to be their director of coaching and 06 boys (my sons age group) coach and he took a liking to my son. He invited him to start training with his team in March and they added him to their US Club soccer roster so he could play few games for them. He joined them full time the end of May when his other teams season ended. The team won their US Club Premier league and EDP Premier II league, went to South Carolina for the US Club Eastern Regionals and got to the final game to qualify for Nationals before losing 2-1.

We didn't really expect he would be playing into the last week of June when we booked vacation last fall so had to do some rearranging but the experience was well worth it. For next year they will be moving up to play ECNL and EDP Club vs Club Premier I. It will be a challenge but its a great group of boys and good coaches so they hope to qualify for playoffs for both US Club and USYS.

For now we are on the fall break as he starts his high school career the next few months. It's funny after watching the high level the club team played at watching high school seems like going back to his local travel team days.

Geez I have some war stories.  I'll try not to be a total downer, but get your kid in an academy or get them into rec and let them focus on more things than soccer.  Don't believe me...go talk to most college seniors graduating with health degree.  What we spent on travel soccer would have funded a bribe to get them into any Ivy league and covered tuition.  On the flip side, if your kid has 🇮🇹 (it doesn't equal info or the Italy flag in this case, it = skill and insane drive), go all in and do what it takes to get them into an academy.  You're better off dumping money in a trainer at the age of 10-13 so they stand out enough to get them into an academy.  If they make it, the academy costs will be just your travel.  If they don't make it, hopefully they'll be discouraged and burned out and explore other avenues to enjoy life.

I imagine it's hard for your guys on the coaching/admin side. Parents want little Timmy to win. But IMO, little Timmy should be learning and growing as a player- winning is pretty far down the list for me. Best way to learn and grow is to play more difficult opponents and lose- apply what you've learned and try to step your game (individually and collectively) up. But it's also useful to learn by winning- getting to install what you're trying to learn easier in game-situations when the other team can't run with you. So yeah- a good healthy mix of playing above, at and below ability should be put to use, with emphasis on growth more than results.
Parents not understanding that and then also passing that on to their kids is something I have seen in all youth sports not just soccer. I'm lucky, my son is competitive and loves to win but unless it was a game they should have won and just blew it he doesn't let it bother him. As a defender I think the best games he has played and enjoyed the most are games they've lost. Case in point February he played in a tournament with the team he was on before he got offered a spot on his current team. The way the brackets worked out they were playing up a division from where they should have been no doubt. I'd say every player on the other team would have started on ours and maybe 3 kids on our team even make the other team. Game 3 of the weekend, 40 degrees and a steady drizzle. Our midfield could not possess the ball at all so it was an all out attack the entire game and we lose 3-0. But our goalie and my son played lights out to the point walking back to the car the opposing coach pulled up to us and called him over and told him he played a hell of a game and that without him that game is 8-0 and to keep up the good work. He will tell you that was his favorite game he played with that team this past year. Not just for the recognition but because he was pushed and challenged the full 80 minutes by good players. 

As an organization trying to keep players from jumping ship, WINNING is a huge factor un parents decision to stay or go.  Not all parents, but enough to screw up even some of the strongest groups.  It suxors, but it is what it is.

Ok, so yesterday was their first "official" high school practice, up until now its been 7v7 summer league and voluntary kick arounds. Morning was running, conditioning and some drills then at night they scrimmaged some. Pick up my son and ask him how it went and he launched into a diatribe on the formation they were playing. Now I've learned most of what I know about soccer from watching him play the last 9 or 10 years so I'm no expert but I have never heard of this either. Defensively they play a sweeper deep, two outside backs then a "stopper" at the top of the formation. I asked him if it was a three man back line with a holding mid because he has played as a holding mid in front of a four man line before. He said sort of except they don't really want that player pushing up the field and they don't really play the ball through them to set up the attack, it's more like another center back set up high defensively. They still play 3 other midfielders in front of them. He split his time between JV (playing the "stopper" role) and Varsity playing as an outside back. So there formation sort of looks like this:

Keeper

Sweeper

RB                                                                     LB

Stopper

Mid                              Mid                              Mid

Wing                          Striker                          Wing

Anyone familiar with anything like that?  I could sort of see it if they played controlled passing on the defense and through the stopper more like a holding mid but he said they want the sweeper playing long balls to the outside.

Ok, so yesterday was their first "official" high school practice, up until now its been 7v7 summer league and voluntary kick arounds. Morning was running, conditioning and some drills then at night they scrimmaged some. Pick up my son and ask him how it went and he launched into a diatribe on the formation they were playing. Now I've learned most of what I know about soccer from watching him play the last 9 or 10 years so I'm no expert but I have never heard of this either. Defensively they play a sweeper deep, two outside backs then a "stopper" at the top of the formation. I asked him if it was a three man back line with a holding mid because he has played as a holding mid in front of a four man line before. He said sort of except they don't really want that player pushing up the field and they don't really play the ball through them to set up the attack, it's more like another center back set up high defensively. They still play 3 other midfielders in front of them. He split his time between JV (playing the "stopper" role) and Varsity playing as an outside back. So there formation sort of looks like this:

Keeper

Sweeper

Stopper

Anyone familiar with anything like that?  I could sort of see it if they played controlled passing on the defense and through the stopper more like a holding mid but he said they want the sweeper playing long balls to the outside.

Played that formation in high school and college - albeit back in the 1980s.

Its really just a version of a 4-3-3 and 3-4-4, with the sweeper probably being the best defender, while the stopper playing a role similar to a DM.  How they play out will largely be a function of the mid/attacking players, and where the coach feels comfortable with players on the ball.

Keeper

Sweeper

Stopper

I have been playing 3-2(tight holding)-3-2 (3-5-2) or a 4-1-4-1 depending on personal with both my club team, and my middle school bunch   I have no problem conceding the flanks in youth, especially when we are dominating possession.  We play a very direct but deliberate style once we regain the ball.  No matter what we do I love having a stopper or two in front of the back line.  If we use a sweeper, he better be able to hustle.  Not a fan of having a sweeper usually fwiw.

Played that formation in high school and college - albeit back in the 1980s.
Make sense since the coaches credentials are he played on a couple pretty good teams the school had back in the 80's 😆

Just very different then what he is used to, he plays LB and RB on his club team but they play 4 across so their outside backs play aggressively and will make over lapping runs and push up the field. This guy doesn't want them doing that. And when he played holding mid previously the ball played through that spot and was distributed, seems they want to play direct down the outsides.

My son was told last night that he was going to be included on the Varsity roster to start the season. Will probably still play some JV and come off the bench for Varsity at first. But they did tell him there is a chance he could start, they want to give the two juniors that play outside back first shot in the upcoming scrimmages and non-league games. I can appreciate giving the upper classman first shot over a freshman but he is pretty confident he can outplay them from what he has seen in practices and kick arounds.

My son was told last night that he was going to be included on the Varsity roster to start the season. Will probably still play some JV and come off the bench for Varsity at first. But they did tell him there is a chance he could start, they want to give the two juniors that play outside back first shot in the upcoming scrimmages and non-league games. I can appreciate giving the upper classman first shot over a freshman but he is pretty confident he can outplay them from what he has seen in practices and kick arounds.
Wow- your son must feel pretty great having a shot at varsity as a freshman! 

My now 15yo son is a typical "club soccer" story.  We live in Central MA.

He does not have the offense mentality.  He has the defense mentality.  He was a late bloomer growing and athletically.  He's still not fast, but he is fast enough.  What this means for club is that since he wasn't a "show off", nor was he the fastest nor most physically gifted.  He started at the lowest team and his skill set was not evident to most.

My son has always been able to see the field.  He either makes the pass, finds the pass, or makes the correct play away.  Rarely will he make a bad play and always seems to be in position.  However, his greatest strength is talking.  He LOVES to tell other people what to do, lol.  Once the number of players on the field started growing, it was easy for a soccer fan to see his command of the game.  However, this is not how clubs develop players.  I always kept reminding him to play to his strengths, don't give up, and commit to giving your best.

As we are into 7th and 8th grade he grew bigger and stronger.  Not taller, not much faster, but tall and fast enough.  Adding more players to the field, his ability to see the field, make the pass, direct his teammates, and make tough plays on defense, he started getting called to higher and higher teams.

Last year was 9th grade.  Our school is pretty big and usually has 2 JV teams and 1 V team with it basically being a "no-cut" on the second JV teams.  Due to covid, we only had 1 JV team.  He made the JV team and also was the captain of the top club team in the local club (not ECNL nor ENPL).  This past summer he was invited to try out for the ECNL team.  He was offered (and accepted) the regional ECNL (not national) team.  However, for our entire club its the 3rd best team behind National ECNL and ENPL.  He attended some clinics this summer playing against 18yo ECNL players who were able to smoke him.  He loved it.  He loves practicing against better competition.

My son is clearly a later bloomer.  However, no one knows how his story will end.  I would bet against a D1 opportunity, but if he continues to grow physically and in his game there is certainly a possibility.  However, with his grades and how he as progressed, I would not bet against a D3 opportunity which as a parent with zero expectations of any of his kids is pretty cool.

Moral of the story?  Soccer is tough, but parents are tougher.  Parents want to win games.  They don't understand that games don't matter.  Winning doesn't matter.  It starts with touches and grows into first touch and into heads up play.  I can barely attend games any more.  I get so mad listening to parents tell the players what to do, tell the refs how much they suck, and ultimately how much they know the game better than the coach we are playing thousands of dollars to.  I have to stand far away from all parents.  I have yelled at parents for my team as well as parents from other teams.  The trigger is always some parent telling my kid how to play.  Please don't ever do that.  You want to tell your kid how to play, when the coach doesn't thinks its important, have at it.  But don't talk about my kid unless its positive.  Rant over, but yes parents are the worst.

My now 15yo son is a typical "club soccer" story.  We live in Central MA.

He does not have the offense mentality.  He has the defense mentality.  He was a late bloomer growing and athletically.  He's still not fast, but he is fast enough.  What this means for club is that since he wasn't a "show off", nor was he the fastest nor most physically gifted.  He started at the lowest team and his skill set was not evident to most.

My son has always been able to see the field.  He either makes the pass, finds the pass, or makes the correct play away.  Rarely will he make a bad play and always seems to be in position.  However, his greatest strength is talking.  He LOVES to tell other people what to do, lol.  Once the number of players on the field started growing, it was easy for a soccer fan to see his command of the game.  However, this is not how clubs develop players.  I always kept reminding him to play to his strengths, don't give up, and commit to giving your best.

As we are into 7th and 8th grade he grew bigger and stronger.  Not taller, not much faster, but tall and fast enough.  Adding more players to the field, his ability to see the field, make the pass, direct his teammates, and make tough plays on defense, he started getting called to higher and higher teams.

Last year was 9th grade.  Our school is pretty big and usually has 2 JV teams and 1 V team with it basically being a "no-cut" on the second JV teams.  Due to covid, we only had 1 JV team.  He made the JV team and also was the captain of the top club team in the local club (not ECNL nor ENPL).  This past summer he was invited to try out for the ECNL team.  He was offered (and accepted) the regional ECNL (not national) team.  However, for our entire club its the 3rd best team behind National ECNL and ENPL.  He attended some clinics this summer playing against 18yo ECNL players who were able to smoke him.  He loved it.  He loves practicing against better competition.

My son is clearly a later bloomer.  However, no one knows how his story will end.  I would bet against a D1 opportunity, but if he continues to grow physically and in his game there is certainly a possibility.  However, with his grades and how he as progressed, I would not bet against a D3 opportunity which as a parent with zero expectations of any of his kids is pretty cool.

Moral of the story?  Soccer is tough, but parents are tougher.  Parents want to win games.  They don't understand that games don't matter.  Winning doesn't matter.  It starts with touches and grows into first touch and into heads up play.  I can barely attend games any more.  I get so mad listening to parents tell the players what to do, tell the refs how much they suck, and ultimately how much they know the game better than the coach we are playing thousands of dollars to.  I have to stand far away from all parents.  I have yelled at parents for my team as well as parents from other teams.  The trigger is always some parent telling my kid how to play.  Please don't ever do that.  You want to tell your kid how to play, when the coach doesn't thinks its important, have at it.  But don't talk about my kid unless its positive.  Rant over, but yes parents are the worst.
I didn't get out of the car for even one of my kids clubs games.  And I know many of the parents.  I would inevitably tell someone to ####.

The crap that flies out of these people mouths all game is amazing.  It's so awful.

Edited to add:I can usually see pretty good from my truck.

We're in the Northeast ECNL too.  My youngest is on the 2008's.  Oldest (2006) is on the pre-ECNL squad as a full time GK.  He's stuck behind a pretty phenomenal GK on the ECNL team.

What club in SE PA?  We're at Sporting DE.  I'm the (outgoing) President at Kirkwood.
Was that the 2008 team that cruised to a 5-0 win in the FC Delco Players Cup?  I saw some of it and it was an impressive win.  The team my son just joined (LVU 2008 Blue) lost our final in OT on the field next to that game, I think just after.  Our A Team, LVU Black who was ranked #1 on GotSoccer, had a bad game against Pipeline in pool play and then didn't advance from their group with a 2-1 record.  

My older son is 15 (2006) and played on and off since he was 5 with varying degrees of interest.  I coached him from 5 to about 10.  He kind of lost interest right before he started High School and wouldn't have made the team anyway.  Ran XC in the fall and is running hurdles on the track team.

My younger son is 13 (2008) and also started at 5, he's more into it and has been a pretty good player.  I also coached him from 5 to about 10.  When they changed from school year to birth year as age cutoff he stayed with the coach he liked better and just played with the 2007's.  We're on our 5th team in 5 years (I don't want to think about how much I've spent on new kits) but with the same coach(es) and core group of 5-6... until this year.    We had to start bouncing around and switching / combining with other teams to keep a competitive group together as kids stopped playing.

We were planning on staying with the same team & coaches but as spring tryouts started for the following year, we heard a bunch of the kids (including our only keeper) were trying out for another team they thought would be better.  The coaches held a meeting to let the other players know (including me and my son) that we may not have enough to keep the team going and should also tryout somewhere else.  This was halfway through tryouts so we had already missed the first of two sessions at the other clubs.  Fortunately, he made the B team on a better (but also more expensive, doh!) club in the area and is now with his true 2008 group.

He was the only new kid the team added so he went from playing with the same coaches and kids for 5-6 years to new coaches and all new teammates.  It hasn't helped with fitting in that we've been waiting on the new kit and he's the only kid at training without the training jersey.  The kit finally showed up on Thursday before their first fall tournament this weekend.  They lost the first game on some bad bounces.  Won the second game and needed to win the third (against a team that hadn't been scored on in their first game and in the second tied 0-0 the team that beat my son's team) to advance out of pool play.  We win a corner in the first few minutes of the game and my son puts one in with his first ever header off a corner (#26).  Ok, keeper is out of position and there's some shoulder in there too but I think he finally started to feel like he's fitting in a little.  🙂

Nothing especially noteworthy here, but my daughter made her high school team as a freshman.  It turned out that all the freshman who tried out made it, so not much drama there.  She'll almost certainly end up on the freshman team, which is where she belongs at this stage.  What's interesting is the distribution of kids on the team (which is yet to be sorted among Varsity/JV/Freshmen) - 5 seniors, 12 juniors, 12 sophomores, 24 freshman.  

She started playing travel soccer at U10 on the 'B team' of the local travel club.  Made it onto the 'A team' for U13.  Both teams (which operate almost completely independently of each other) have been incredibly stable.  A few A-teamers have left for academy teams and a few B-teamers have moved away, but over the 5 years, only 3 girls (combined, from either team whether or not my daughter was playing with them) have quit playing completely.  The reason the math works out is that both teams have a number of players from neighboring towns.

Seems like the competition to make the high school team as a sophomore is going to be brutal, with potentially 48 returning players competing for spots on varsity and JV (and that's not counting a small number of really good freshman who will likely be competing to move up to JV).  Is it normal for high school teams to take almost everyone as freshmen, and then cut a lot of them after they've been on the team for a year?

Was that the 2008 team that cruised to a 5-0 win in the FC Delco Players Cup?  I saw some of it and it was an impressive win.  The team my son just joined (LVU 2008 Blue) lost our final in OT on the field next to that game, I think just after.  Our A Team, LVU Black who was ranked #1 on GotSoccer, had a bad game against Pipeline in pool play and then didn't advance from their group with a 2-1 record.  
Yup, that was my son's team (ECNL); he's their #10 but was out injured (sprained ACL).  :wub:   Pipeline has become a good rivalry; it was pretty damn cool to see them rock them 5-0.

Seems like the competition to make the high school team as a sophomore is going to be brutal, with potentially 48 returning players competing for spots on varsity and JV (and that's not counting a small number of really good freshman who will likely be competing to move up to JV).  Is it normal for high school teams to take almost everyone as freshmen, and then cut a lot of them after they've been on the team for a year?
Around here I don't know of any schools that have freshman teams so I would say no that cut down a lot of times happens as a freshman But it depends on the school. Our school is fairly small so I don't expect they will have any cuts other then one kid, but that will be because of work ethic and attitude not that they couldn't carry one more on JV. My son has friends that play at a bigger school, there very few freshman make the team so their local travel club runs a U15 team in the fall for those that don't make it and keep the kids playing, more will make the team as sophmores.  Is it normal for your school to have 24 freshman come out because of having a freshman team and then a bunch fall off or is it just that it is a really strong age group?

Around here I don't know of any schools that have freshman teams so I would say no that cut down a lot of times happens as a freshman But it depends on the school. Our school is fairly small so I don't expect they will have any cuts other then one kid, but that will be because of work ethic and attitude not that they couldn't carry one more on JV. My son has friends that play at a bigger school, there very few freshman make the team so their local travel club runs a U15 team in the fall for those that don't make it and keep the kids playing, more will make the team as sophmores.  Is it normal for your school to have 24 freshman come out because of having a freshman team and then a bunch fall off or is it just that it is a really strong age group?
I think this is a much bigger age group than others.  The year ahead of them has really good players, but has struggled at times getting enough players to field one travel team.  Not really sure what's happened in past years, and it may be different now because there's a new head coach for the high school team.

Nothing especially noteworthy here, but my daughter made her high school team as a freshman.  It turned out that all the freshman who tried out made it, so not much drama there.  She'll almost certainly end up on the freshman team, which is where she belongs at this stage.  What's interesting is the distribution of kids on the team (which is yet to be sorted among Varsity/JV/Freshmen) - 5 seniors, 12 juniors, 12 sophomores, 24 freshman.  

She started playing travel soccer at U10 on the 'B team' of the local travel club.  Made it onto the 'A team' for U13.  Both teams (which operate almost completely independently of each other) have been incredibly stable.  A few A-teamers have left for academy teams and a few B-teamers have moved away, but over the 5 years, only 3 girls (combined, from either team whether or not my daughter was playing with them) have quit playing completely.  The reason the math works out is that both teams have a number of players from neighboring towns.

We don't have freshman, only JV.  But we seem to have around 30-40 kids make it every year.  I know there were some cuts during the covid year, but my son said none the year before.

First chance to see the HS team in action tomorrow. Just an inter team scrimmage followed by the alumni game then the Varsity and JV coaches select teams made up of alumni and the kids and they play.  The alumni part is usually pretty funny, 30 year olds out of shape trying to chase down 16 and 17 year olds. But this year they have a kid that just graduated from Penn State that's been coming to kick arounds. He's a school alumni but only played as a freshman because he was part of Red Bulls academy after that and played for Red Bulls 2 as well as Penn State. Interested to see him on the field and test the kids. 

So the HS Inter-team scrimmage was 30 minutes, Varsity won 3-0. Then they intermixed the Varsity and JV kids and played another 30 minutes with the maroon team winning 1-0. The alumni played each other and were not allowed to play the students this year due to Covid rules at the school. Wednesday they have a tri-scrimmage were they play short games against two other schools.

My son is totally frustrated with the coaching or should I say lack of. Every practice is basically some running, maybe a shooting drill and then scrimmage. They are a week and a half into practice and did a few passing drills and some possession drills one day. They have not worked on any set pieces at all. He's like we have some kids with talent and athleticism but they aren't year round soccer players, they need to learn how to play in triangles and how to make runs but the coaches don't work on any of that. The one thing I've learned is he really does pay attention during his club training because he is totally understanding why they do what they do now.

So the HS Inter-team scrimmage was 30 minutes, Varsity won 3-0. Then they intermixed the Varsity and JV kids and played another 30 minutes with the maroon team winning 1-0. The alumni played each other and were not allowed to play the students this year due to Covid rules at the school. Wednesday they have a tri-scrimmage were they play short games against two other schools.

My son is totally frustrated with the coaching or should I say lack of. Every practice is basically some running, maybe a shooting drill and then scrimmage. They are a week and a half into practice and did a few passing drills and some possession drills one day. They have not worked on any set pieces at all. He's like we have some kids with talent and athleticism but they aren't year round soccer players, they need to learn how to play in triangles and how to make runs but the coaches don't work on any of that. The one thing I've learned is he really does pay attention during his club training because he is totally understanding why they do what they do now.
Get used to it.  Club vs HS soccer is incredibly different.  He should take this as a chance to become a leader within the team and help out with this stuff.  Most HS coaches are not going to be near a club level coach.

Users who are viewing this thread