What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zac Stacy Hype Train - Rams (1 Viewer)

Fantasy Analysis | August 20, 2013 1:07 pmWith Daryl Richardson starting, Fisher non-committal on backups
by Dave Richard | Senior Fantasy Writer

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Monday that he thought Daryl Richardson "would probably take the first snap against Arizona," effectively naming him the starting back. But he had an interesting take on the race to back up Richardson.

"As far as who’s going to come in (second), that remains to be seen," Fisher said. "We still have some more evaluating to do. ... It's consistency, and it's not just the game. It's consistency on the practice field, understanding, first and foremost, probably how to play without the football. For us, that's more important than how he plays with the football. By that I mean, is getting to the right place in the passing game? Is he proficient, and does he know exactly what to do in protection? Once you get that down, then we'll evaluate the run skills."

Isaiah Pead and rookie Zac Stacy are competing for the spot. Pead underwhelmed in the Rams' second preseason game and fumbled the ball away in the first. He's also suspended for the team's Week 1 game against the Cardinals. Stacy averaged 3.3 yards over seven attempts in the Rams' first preseason action but missed the second game with a leg injury.

Pead had every opportunity to close the door on Stacy last week and didn't do it. If he doesn't do it against the Broncos on Saturday then Stacy -- or perhaps another back on the roster -- could leapfrog him. Whoever helps Richardson with the rushing workload is worth a late pick in Fantasy drafts. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1664982/zac-stacy

Fantasy Analysis | August 20, 2013 1:07 pm

With Daryl Richardson starting, Fisher non-committal on backups

by Dave Richard | Senior Fantasy Writer

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Monday that he thought Daryl Richardson "would probably take the first snap against Arizona," effectively naming him the starting back. But he had an interesting take on the race to back up Richardson.

"As far as whos going to come in (second), that remains to be seen," Fisher said. "We still have some more evaluating to do. ... It's consistency, and it's not just the game. It's consistency on the practice field, understanding, first and foremost, probably how to play without the football. For us, that's more important than how he plays with the football. By that I mean, is getting to the right place in the passing game? Is he proficient, and does he know exactly what to do in protection? Once you get that down, then we'll evaluate the run skills."

Isaiah Pead and rookie Zac Stacy are competing for the spot. Pead underwhelmed in the Rams' second preseason game and fumbled the ball away in the first. He's also suspended for the team's Week 1 game against the Cardinals. Stacy averaged 3.3 yards over seven attempts in the Rams' first preseason action but missed the second game with a leg injury.

Pead had every opportunity to close the door on Stacy last week and didn't do it. If he doesn't do it against the Broncos on Saturday then Stacy -- or perhaps another back on the roster -- could leapfrog him. Whoever helps Richardson with the rushing workload is worth a late pick in Fantasy drafts. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1664982/zac-stacy
Fisher is referencing the week 1 Arizona game in the above article. Pead isn't available week one, of course he won't be the top backup as he won't be on the field.

It says a few other things than that also.

I have been waiting to read this somewhere else, but I will go ahead and say it since I have not seen it yet.

Is Zac Stacy injured? He was held out for general soreness is what they say. He didn't practice, so he didn't play week 2.

Is this the kind of way you treat your back ups fighting for jobs? To let them rest because they have some soreness? That seems like the kind of thing you do with a RB that you want fresh for the start of the season, because you plan to use them quite a bit.

I have been waiting to read this somewhere else, but I will go ahead and say it since I have not seen it yet.

Is Zac Stacy injured? He was held out for general soreness is what they say. He didn't practice, so he didn't play week 2.

Is this the kind of way you treat your back ups fighting for jobs? To let them rest because they have some soreness? That seems like the kind of thing you do with a RB that you want fresh for the start of the season, because you plan to use them quite a bit.
He's a rookie who needs experience, they aren't giving their 5th round rookie superstar type preseason treatment so he can rest.

Traded Stacy this morning for Markus Wheaton. 16 Team salary/contract/idp. Both were taken early second round in the rookie draft. But, at this point, I feel Stacy is treading water and Wheaton is showing flashes.

I may be pulling the plug a little too soon, but I had hoped to see more from Stacy after 2 preseason games. If the Rams sit their starters for the 4th preseason game and Stacy plays a majority of the snaps, the kid may have to go on IR do to playing so much.

If the Rams sit their starters for the 4th preseason game and Stacy plays a majority of the snaps, the kid may have to go on IR do to playing so much.
:unsure:

For the record, I definitely think Stacy is still a buy/hold. Pead never really impressed me at this level, and he's not exactly lighting it up. Cunningham seems like a solid role-player. Richardson has played well, but he's no phenom, so the job could be had eventually.

Traded Stacy this morning for Markus Wheaton. 16 Team salary/contract/idp. Both were taken early second round in the rookie draft. But, at this point, I feel Stacy is treading water and Wheaton is showing flashes.

I may be pulling the plug a little too soon, but I had hoped to see more from Stacy after 2 preseason games. If the Rams sit their starters for the 4th preseason game and Stacy plays a majority of the snaps, the kid may have to go on IR do to playing so much.
I like this move

I like this move
. Wheaton could be starter sooner, and more likely to be long term starter...

I read Stacy was out of GB game sat for "general soreness" (only time I heard this before was mike Marshall of the dodgers)... more specifically I think it might have been bad thigh bruise... not likely to overtake Richardson this year, barring injury... but the backup could be in flux, pead far from a lock there...

It's the way you treat a proven starter who you think is important to the season's success. Of course Stacy isn't a proven starter, so I don't think that's what it is.

If Stacy was already deemed such an important piece of the puzzle, there would be signs similar to what we've seen from Lacy, for example.

I had Stacy on my sleeper list just like everyone else did. But to come into a situation that would seem ripe for the plucking, he hasn't done much at all. I'd shrug it off if Jackson was still there. But when Richardson and Pead are the ones blocking your path to the starting lineup and you don't generate much buzz, I think you can rest easy if someone else grabs him first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't be surprised if Bennie Cunningham vaulted over Stacy and then Pead. Ganaway is now out of the way. he just 'retired'. to go back to graduate school.

I'm still on the train. Still think he was the best back in this draft. Richardson is no slouch, so he will be 1B in this RBBC.

I'm still on the train. Still think he was the best back in this draft. Richardson is no slouch, so he will be 1B in this RBBC.
With what sample size? His college performance? Just curious what kind of observable metrics you're using to make that call...

Nero said:
I'm still on the train, but I certainly don't think he's the best back in this draft. I think he's the best back on the Rams...Time will tell

ODannyBoy said:

It's the way you treat a proven starter who you think is important to the season's success. Of course Stacy isn't a proven starter, so I don't think that's what it is.

If Stacy was already deemed such an important piece of the puzzle, there would be signs similar to what we've seen from Lacy, for example.

I had Stacy on my sleeper list just like everyone else did. But to come into a situation that would seem ripe for the plucking, he hasn't done much at all. I'd shrug it off if Jackson was still there. But when Richardson and Pead are the ones blocking your path to the starting lineup and you don't generate much buzz, I think you can rest easy if someone else grabs him first.
Yep I may totally be reading that wrong. It was just a thought. Perhaps he is more injured than just general soreness, I do not have those details.

Cunningham now that I have read up more on him seems a perfect fit for the inside running role as well.

At the very least it sounds like people have been able to profit from selling this guy. So that is still a good thing even if Stacy does not pan out. I am pulling for Stacy to be successful. I do really like him and think he could be their primary RB. I agree with the sentiment that if he cannot beat out Richardson (who I think is a good RB btw) that will tell us he may not have the talent that at this moment I think he has. Only time will tell on that one. I would still be willing to hold Stacy into 2014 to find out. Hopefully will see enough to make a judgement before then, but prepared to wait it out through 2014 if needed. I do really like this RB.

traderallenpoe said:
Nero said:
With what sample size? His college performance? Just curious what kind of observable metrics you're using to make that call...
Based on college performance and combine, I had him #1 pre draft.

I think Stacy is a cautionary tale of group think, at least for this year. A couple of months ago you couldn't go to a fantasy football website without finding him on a sleeper list, and honestly, I doubt most of those pumping his tyres had actually seen him play or knew anything about him. They just saw him in a competition with two backs who were perceived as not being workhorse/three down backs, looked at Stacy's measurables, and figured he was a good a chance as anyone. Actually, more likely, they had just listened to a FBG podcast and just regurgitated that he was a decent flier for the Rams RB role.

There's nothing wrong with that view at all - we have to take fliers on guys where there could be upside and situations are unclear. But the fact that literally everyone just parroted that he was this great sleeper, made the situation seem clearer than it really was and overstated the possibility of Stacy actually taking the starting job and literally running with it (injury or not).

Stacy could still emerge in time, but I think the hype around him is a general illustration of the fact that most fantasy sources are probably just rehashing the views of other fantasy sources, and when all of the same information is floating around, people get carried away. With Stacy, I noticed there was not actually much analysis of him as a running back, it was more about the other two running backs being unconvincing full time options and wanting to find an overlooked potential workhorse back in a time where, really, no one is overlooked anymore. That's why I respect more people who actually look at and break down film of these players or do detailed statistical analysis, not just generic fantasy "experts" because, let's face it, there are very few genuine experts who bring something new or different to the table.

I am in the Cunningham camp. The more I read and see of him the more I like him, especially since no one ahead of him is a dominate talent.

I totally hear what you are saying Rush. I have observed (and participated) in the same group think.

The reasons I like Zac Stacy are

Opportunity - Rams offense needs a replacement for Steven Jackson.

Talent - based on measurables and college performance.

These are the 2 key elements in any evaluation of a player. I do not have the ability to watch players and subjectively determine which players are more talented than others. I could watch players play 24/7 and I still do not think I would be able to discern the difference. They all look pretty talented to me.

So being the blind mouse that I am in this regard what can I do to compensate?

I read. I read a lot. I listen to what other people say.

That is why I have respect for people like Matt Waldman and others who think they can. They have a process and a consistent method for their evaluation that I do not have even if I did endeavor to attempt it. I do not have the RSP (nfl rewind instead) and I have not heard Waldman say anything about Stacy on the audible. Maybe I missed it. I do not listen to every episode, didn't listen to it all for many years honestly (although I have been listening to it more recently). I was assuming that because I didn't hear anything about him from Bloom or Waldman that they do not consider Stacy worth talking about. But I may be wrong on that.

What I did do is compile many lists of rankings as part of my evaluation process and Zac Stacy was high on many of them. That alone tells me that this player will have action in possible trades before they even play a down. Because there will be buzz and that buzz will create perceived value for the player before they prove anything.

I also think he could end up justifying that buzz. Have heard really good things about him from the Rams coaches and as stated above I see a good opportunity for any RB who can seize it to be a valuable player in FF.

I also like the underdog story. I admit I am a sucker for that. Cunningham trumps Stacy in this regard. :)

I wish them all and the Rams the best of luck. This is not a easy division to try to get good rushing stats from at this time.

I totally hear what you are saying Rush. I have observed (and participated) in the same group think.

The reasons I like Zac Stacy are

Opportunity - Rams offense needs a replacement for Steven Jackson.

Talent - based on measurables and college performance.

These are the 2 key elements in any evaluation of a player. I do not have the ability to watch players and subjectively determine which players are more talented than others. I could watch players play 24/7 and I still do not think I would be able to discern the difference. They all look pretty talented to me.

So being the blind mouse that I am in this regard what can I do to compensate?

I read. I read a lot. I listen to what other people say.

That is why I have respect for people like Matt Waldman and others who think they can. They have a process and a consistent method for their evaluation that I do not have even if I did endeavor to attempt it. I do not have the RSP (nfl rewind instead) and I have not heard Waldman say anything about Stacy on the audible. Maybe I missed it. I do not listen to every episode, didn't listen to it all for many years honestly (although I have been listening to it more recently). I was assuming that because I didn't hear anything about him from Bloom or Waldman that they do not consider Stacy worth talking about. But I may be wrong on that.

What I did do is compile many lists of rankings as part of my evaluation process and Zac Stacy was high on many of them. That alone tells me that this player will have action in possible trades before they even play a down. Because there will be buzz and that buzz will create perceived value for the player before they prove anything.

I also think he could end up justifying that buzz. Have heard really good things about him from the Rams coaches and as stated above I see a good opportunity for any RB who can seize it to be a valuable player in FF.

I also like the underdog story. I admit I am a sucker for that. Cunningham trumps Stacy in this regard. :)

I wish them all and the Rams the best of luck. This is not a easy division to try to get good rushing stats from at this time.
My post wasn't meant to be a criticism of anyone believing in Stacy - he could justify the buzz and, like you say, if you don't have the time to look at film or watch all these guys play (I certainly don't), at some point you go off what information is out there and in this case he had a fair bit of buzz around him. It's also the wish to be ahead of the curve, but unfortunately, it's very hard to be ahead of the curve these days, when there is so much information floating around. For me personally, I didn't put much stock in the hype on Stacy because the situation was a bit too cloudy for me to care about (a bit like the Denver RB situation), but I just think this is an interesting example of hype built on basically nothing, just because everyone is adopting a popular opinion. It's a bit different to a guy like Thompkins who we have seen step up in preseason and build a connection with Brady. I haven't heard anything about Stacy really impressing anyone or pushing hard to be the outright starter.

traderallenpoe said:
Nero said:
No kidding. I appreciate a bold call like that, so long as it's an honest call rather than a gambit to get attention. But I too wonder what he's seen to think he's better than Lacy, Bernard, Bell and Michael.

traderallenpoe said:
Nero said:
I'd love to see your prior year rankings. I'm not being a smartass. I like that you make a bold call based on honest assessment. I'm just (honestly) curious as to whether you are any better at analysis than the guys who had Stacy on down the list.

traderallenpoe said:
Nero said:
Hey Nero I personally appreciate the honesty (who you believe to be #1 RB) If you don't mind, Id like to know if theres another NFL RB that he reminds you of?

traderallenpoe said:
Nero said:
Hey Nero I personally appreciate the honesty (who you believe to be #1 RB) If you don't mind, Id like to know if theres another NFL RB that he reminds you of?
I think it has been posted in here already. He compares favorably to Doug Martin.

1. Zac Stacy

2. Giovani Bernard

3. Christine Michael

4. Le' Veon Bell

5. Knile Davis

6. Eddie Lacy

7. Montee Ball

8. Kenjon Barner

9. Joseph Randle

10. Spencer Ware

11. DJ Harper

12. Rex Burkhead

13. Dennis Johnson

14. Cierre Wood

15. Jonathan Franklin

16. Marcus Lattimore

17. Mike James

18. Andre Ellington

19. Mike Gillislee

20. Chris Thompson
That was my predraft top 20. The draft did cause me to shuffle that top 7. Stacy got drafted in the 5th round, so what do I know? I own Richardson on all three of my dynasty teams was expecting good things from him. Stacy was a punch in the gut in that respect, because in the end I think Stacy is a little better overall. I did get Stacy at 1.11 and 2.1 in two of my leagues.

traderallenpoe said:
Nero said:
No kidding. I appreciate a bold call like that, so long as it's an honest call rather than a gambit to get attention. But I too wonder what he's seen to think he's better than Lacy, Bernard, Bell and Michael.
RB is just not that difficult to evaluate IMO. If there is a good amount of youtube video, I can make an assessment that I am pretty confident in when taken together with combine results.

For people wondering about who Zac Stacy has been compared to. I've read some compare him to Ray Rice, which I think is a pretty good one. I was not entirely sure about Rice as a prospect at the time but I liked him about as much as I like Zac now, perhaps a bit more. But I did not consider Rice a sure thing either. Rice did not break out right away, it took him some time.

Jim Fadler who has seen MUCH more of Stacy than most of us has this to say about him-

RB- They as a unit had a tremendous practice Wednesday. Stacy had one run where he showed unnatural patience, waited for a block in a scrum and then did a deft jump cut to his right and stuck his foot in the ground and accelerated. I see all kinds of similarities to he and Frank Gore in style, I am not saying he is going to equal Gore’s output but his style of waiting, hiding and then churning his feet is just like Frank’s http://www.rams-news.com/jim-fadlers-state-of-the-rams/
I would like to hear peoples thoughts on what little action Stacy had in the game against the Bronco's. The Rams didn't get that many opportunities on offense as the Donkeys had the ball a lot.

I am noting that Stacy may be a better receiver than I thought. Watching videos of him with the Commodores I did see him running good routes but not targeted that much. In the 2 games he has played he has had 2 catches in each one.

Another thing (it may be back in the other thread linked here earlier on) I have thought about is that Zac Stacy can play well as a FB type and is considered a good run/lead blocker in that role. So when they decide to have Austin play as a RB (which they will) Zac could be in the mix to block for him, which would help him see the field more.

He looks like a career backup to me. Nothing like he looked in college. Probably deserved his draft spot.

If he couldn't win the job this year with pretty light competition then I don't see much reason to expect more in future seasons. He was drafted high in FF leagues because of his perceived opportunity, and now that opportunity appears to have dried up. Barring some kind of injury to Richardson, I don't see much value here this year. And if Richardson doesn't perform, I would expect the Rams to dip into the draft or free agency next offseason instead of handing the reins to Stacy.

Lesson, never count on a 5th rounder. if they turn out great but paying the price people were to draft stacy was crazy.

Grab these guys in the 3rd round or later in rookie drafts, not in the late 1st/early 2nd.

He just seemed like a guy perfectly satisfied with plodding into a pile. There were a handful of opportunities this preseason to get some extra yardage with a little bit more vision and a little bit more need to succeed. I'm not going to write him off but I can comfortably say that I look at him as just a guy. I'm often wrong when it comes to fringe RB's though.

How about we see the Rams play a couple real games before jumping to conclusions?

I have gone to great lengths trying to describe that the Rams are likely to run a 2RB system. I do not see it as a linear thing of Richardson-Pead-Stacy-Cunningham. I see it as Richardson/Pead and Stacy/Cunningham.

If it does not play out that way in the regular season I will be the 1st to admit I was wrong.

I do not think we have seen how they are going to really play yet.

I really don't know what to make of Stacy's usage this preseason. I think he has the goods, but the based on his preseason he should be cut. I don't view Richardson as light competition, but I still think Stacy can over take him. I'm driving the train.

some frequency data on pedigree of top 20 RBs in 2011 & 2012 (default FBG scoring, non-PPR)

2011 (the frequency of first three rounds looks like inverted pyramid)

1 - 8 (lynch, mathews, peterson, jackson, r. bush, johnson, wells, mendenhall)

2 - 4 (rice, mccoy, MJD, forte)

3 - 2 (gore, greene)

4 - 2 (m. bush, sproles)

5 - 1 (turner)

6 - 0

7 - 1 (bradshaw)

UFA - 2 (foster, jackson)

1 - 8 (peterson, martin, lynch, spiller, richardson, johnson, r. bush, jackson)

2 - 3 (rice, forte, leshoure)

3 - 4 (charles, ridley, gore, greene)

4 - 0

5 - 1 (turner)

6 - 1 (morris)

7 - 1 (bradshaw)

UFA - 2 (foster, BJGE)

so of 40 combined spots in the 2011-2012 top 20 RBs...

16 or 40% were first rounders

29 or 72.5% were selected in first three rounds

there is the occasional UFA like foster, or sixth rounder like morris, but a fifth rounder like stacy isn't a high percentage play... at a certain point in the draft, he represented value, but i wasn't comfortable taking him in the first round... he was gone in all of my drafts long before he reached the point where he might have represented value to me.

RB is intuitively and historically a young man's position (think at least one rookie has gotten 1,000 yards and or 8-10 TDs ((?)) high percentage of time, extending back a decade or further... conversely, RBs notoriously are generally used up by early 30s)...

also, data from past few years should reflect recent trend of RBs being devalued and commoditized, so we might expect quality RBs "slipping" further in draft...

nonetheless, pedigree has weighed heavily in this recent two year time frame under the microscope...

imo, prospects should always be looked at on a case by case basis... heuristics are best when they aid critical thinking and imagination, but dangerous as substitutes or crutches - that leads to sloppy or lack of analysis...

on a more specific note, i may have mentioned it upthread or elsewhere (rams thread?), when i looked at some film, he didn't really stand out for me... as a rams fan, i WANTED to like him, but i saw a back not really exceptional in any way... didn't see great suddenness, burst, acceleration, explosiveness... or elusiveness (that might have been the trait, or lack of trait, that stood out and was most alarming and disturbing to me)... even on strength, didn't see lot of broken tackles... maybe i watched the wrong clips? i heard he led SEC in rushing, which is impressive, and i've heard the loose comps of martin and rice, but i just didn't see it?

also, it is interesting that people thought of rams situation as great opportunity for him, and i saw it as a crowded field... but that may stem from my having perhaps more grudging (as you can see, i'm a big advocate and proponent of pedigree) respect for richardson than some, and although he was abysmal as a rookie (and not much better this preseason), i thought pead flashed more skill in college...

but an even bigger concern, the rams had so many holes they couldn't fill all of them in two years fisher and snead have been operating, and i think they didn't want to give up on pead after just one year... but in the next year or two, i think it is very possible they draft a RB in first few rounds (or add through free agency - unlike the 15-65 half decade dog days from 2007-2011, STL has become a far more attractive free agent destination, and they have a lot of core young talent locked up with reasonable contracts - chris long is the "oldest" originally drafted ram), in which case that will blow up the value of the RBs currently on the roster (at least their value with the rams)...

i am really happy the rams took ogletree (the off field stuff is a concern, though), he looks as advertised as one of the the best LBs in the class, and has maybe exceeded my expectations...

but can you imagine how even more dangerous the rams offense would look if they had added bernard with that 1.30 pick? :) so again, i'm certain no regrets or buyers remorse about ogletree... but i can see how bernard-like thoughts could become more prominent in a year or two (and they do have two firsts again in 2014, the final legacy of the monumental RGIII trade), if the RBs currently on the roster fail to light it up...

Ok so it does not appear that the Rams will be using a 2RB system based off of the 1st game. So it seems I have been listening to the coaches wax poetic too much again.

Will be looking to see what they do next week when Pead comes back. But certainly looking like I was wrong on this one. Wont be the last time and certainly not the 1st time that has happened.

I am sure Rams fans are glad they won the game. Congrats! The Cardinals look like they have a pretty solid team as well.

the time to pick up might be soon...

Rotoworld:

ESPN Rams blogger Nick Wagoner believes "it seems as though it’s time" for rookie Zac Stacy to "at least lead the committee" in St. Louis' backfield.
It's not clear if Wagoner has heard this at Rams Park or is simply throwing it out there, but 12- and 14-team leaguers could make worse use of a bench spot than to stash the fifth-round pick out of Vanderbilt. Stacy was a favorite of Rotoworld college prospects guru Josh Norris before April's draft. "I think Zac’s done a really good job since he’s been here," Sam Bradford said. "He’s a very talented runner. He’s a powerful guy. He’s got great vision. He makes cuts in the hole that are quick and decisive, so I’m excited to see him out there."

Hmmmmmm. What a mess. Worth a shot I guess.

I'm feeling like a schizophrenic with the drop/adds I've been doing with RBs.

the jags are terrible against the run. somebody has to run the rock and we know richardson isnt the back they want, pead was a healthy scratch. its probably between cunningham and stacy. they drafted stacy in the 5th so they might finally give him a chance to see what he can do. who knows, but better to get him now if you have room to spare and not next week if he outperforms other rams backs.

It's a mess and probably not worth paying much attention to, but you couldn't fault someone in redraft taking a shot now, holding for a couple of weeks to see what happens. For whatever reason it seems like Pead isn't in favour in St. Louis, to me Cunningham has looked very average and undynamic on limited touches, and it seems like Richardson just isn't going to be a full time NFL back. So there's an opportunity....not a huge one, but it's there.

Users who are viewing this thread