What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (4 Viewers)

Capella said:
Thanks! Heard some of the ride lines are 45-minutes long and we only get two hours so might just pass on them and walk around. We'll see. 
I hope thats the case May 28th.  I have a bad feeling they'll be 120+ and we'll skip them.  :(

I hope thats the case May 28th.  I have a bad feeling they'll be 120+ and we'll skip them.  :(
I dont remember your schedule, but is there any way you can devote a day or half day to just waiting on the lines. It would be a bummer to be there but miss out. 

I know lines suck. We waited on Frozen because it closed down during our fast pass time. We decided to wait and fast pass Test Track instead. But the kids kept themselves occupied playing that game where you guess the word on the phone on your head. 

I dont remember your schedule, but is there any way you can devote a day or half day to just waiting on the lines. It would be a bummer to be there but miss out. 

I know lines suck. We waited on Frozen because it closed down during our fast pass time. We decided to wait and fast pass Test Track instead. But the kids kept themselves occupied playing that game where you guess the word on the phone on your head. 
there is rarely anything that I will spend the hours on line that some new attractions pull...frozen and when anna and elsa M&G at MK were close to 5 hours...no F'ing way. Sorry.

I understand the 'new experience' but for the cost you are generally paying for these vacations, there really is no logical reason you would spend that time vs doing something else. The payoff for a 1 > 3 min ride is not logical. Unless you are a local or a repeat visitor, I can't justify it. 

that said, if you are willing to wait....my pick would be the Banshee ride over the River ride. I've seen some video of the river ride and it doesn't peak my personal interest all that much.  

Yeah, I'm with you on the river rides.  They're nice and relaxing and I'm sure its cool...but I want an experience.   

I probably would wait 2 hours for the banshee ride...but no more.  We can keep the kids happy with pokemon and what not. 

My boy is finally 7 so we can do the single rider Fast track now.  I did the single rider a few years ago wasn't overly impressed.  We always pick soarin over fast track.  The shortest time I'll do fast track is about 40 minutes. 

Also just realized I probably need to watch Avatar now.  Bleh...
from all accounts I'm hearing, you really don't have to. 

story goes that you are on a trip to this planet, similar as if you were to go on an African Safari, through a tour company called ACE "Alpha Centauri Expeditions" Complete with their own web site

And while you will be a visitor to this place, it actually takes place well after the events in the original movie where now the Na'vi and Avatars (humans disguised as Na'vi) co-exist.

So while you don't really need to know much about the past, you are there to explore the wonders of the natural plant life that glows and is alive, and the native wild life that is on display during the river ride and the the Banshi ride. 

DLR just announced when the Guardians Of The Galaxy ride opens at DCA (repurposed Tower Of Terror), the space outside the queue will have pop-up short dance parties several times a day with Star-Lord and Gamora, featuring music from and inspired by the GotG movies.  As each party winds down, Groot will arrive  for the last dance and stick around for meet-and-greets after Star-Lord and Gamora leave.  

WDW Trip Giveaway... to a friend

(From WDW Prep School and Key To The World travel agency)

"It's the 5 year anniversary of the site today, and I've partnered with Key to the World Travel to give away a trip to Disney World to celebrate! ?

Nominate somebody you think is deserving of a trip to Disney World that includes 3 nights and 4 days at a Moderate Resort with the Disney Dining Plan, park tickets, and flights, and they might be chosen as the winner. 

Nominations are open until May 19. Enter at http://wdwprepschool.com/tripgiveaway/

Good luck!"

I've said for a while that the speedway has to go - it's boring, horrible queue (unless they've updated it in the last two years) and it really has nothing to do with Disney unless they brand it with CARS.  We talk a lot in this thread about changes they should make or that we'd like to see - that one seems like a no-brainer.
Easily the worst ride at Disney.  Not to mention the exhaust fumes set off a migraine for me EVERY time.

WDW Trip Giveaway... to a friend

(From WDW Prep School and Key To The World travel agency)

"It's the 5 year anniversary of the site today, and I've partnered with Key to the World Travel to give away a trip to Disney World to celebrate! ?

Nominate somebody you think is deserving of a trip to Disney World that includes 3 nights and 4 days at a Moderate Resort with the Disney Dining Plan, park tickets, and flights, and they might be chosen as the winner. 

Nominations are open until May 19. Enter at http://wdwprepschool.com/tripgiveaway/

Good luck!"
:hey:

minor good news...I was just watching the WDW Radio live broadcast from Pandora preview and I noticed that the Flights of Passage ride will have a single rider line.

SRL's are a great way from some people to maximize time when they can't get a FP or others in their group don't want to ride the ride. I wish more of the rides had this.  

minor good news...I was just watching the WDW Radio live broadcast from Pandora preview and I noticed that the Flights of Passage ride will have a single rider line.

SRL's are a great way from some people to maximize time when they can't get a FP or others in their group don't want to ride the ride. I wish more of the rides had this.  
Im trying to figure out when it is you do whatever it is you do for a living. 

That is good news, but rides like that aren't nearly as much fun unless you can sit between your kids and see the look on their faces. Most rides are moderately boring without your kids in tow.  At least thats my opinion. 

@jb1020 agreed....but there are those rides with height restrictions and such where the whole family simply can't go on it. So in those instances, it works out great for someone to take the kids for ice cream and let dad hit the single rider line vs rotting away on the standby line behind 25 Brazilian tour groups for over an hour. 

I always say to those who are looking to go there with really young families that its important to allow mom and dad to have a little fun too and not just get stuck on the 8th trip around Small World just because this trip is "for the kids" Whenever possible, I advise that the adults take a set of FP's for themselves for one or 2 of the bigger thrill rides so while even though that may not be together, they can still experience it...bc/ thats why you are there. Otherwise, some parents leave feeling cheated after spending all that money and only really getting the kid-sized version of WDW. 

@AcerFC lol...i'm just a little old graphic designer who sits at a desk all day noodling over what type face works better then another. My cellphone—and all the glorious Disney multimedia and news that comes with it—is never more then a foot away from me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bruce Dickinson

Fantasmic is on its way back in DL.

Twenty-five years ago, the Rivers of America at Disneyland park became the stage for the colorful tableau of Mickey Mouse’s imagination with the opening of the classic nighttime spectacular, “Fantasmic!” When it returns to Disneyland park this summer, “Fantasmic!” will still be the treasured Disneyland park experience guests have loved for 25 years – complete with its original fanfare and theme song – but all taken to brilliant new heights!

Upon its return, “Fantasmic!” will feature new magic, including new mist screens that will combine with innovative, state-of-the-art projection technology for brighter and more vibrant visuals than ever before. The show will also feature new scenes inspired by Disney animated classics such as “Aladdin”; one of the dazzling new scenes finds Aladdin and Jasmine floating over a bed of fog on their flying carpet during “A Whole New World.”
Interesting with the magic carpet thing. I wonder if they will use the same technology that they do in the Broadway show. I've seen it and its really amazing how they do it....I couldnt figure it out. 

watched the new Happily Ever After fireworks show live feed and overall I give it a B+ (from sitting in my living room)

My thoughts

Projections were amazing. Honestly, what they do with the castle is unreal. You can't even realize that it's still a huge building with it's own unique architecture and details. The animations are amazing. That said, it was almost too detailed at times and it was tough to find what you were supposed to be focusing on. That said, the last few final projections were beautiful. 

I found the story to be a little lacking. It was made up mainly of clips from 90% of their movies, even old forgotten ones like Jungle Book and Hunchback. It was bracketed by a nice uplifting message, but the middle felt like they were just cycling through clips and songs. 

Fireworks seemed just as plentiful as was in Wishes. I was watching a feed that had multiple cameras, and they cut to close-ups to the castle often so I was difficult to actually gauge. But from what I saw, there were still very large and unique FWs. The ending almost blew the settings off my TV's brightness control.  

Overall, it will take a while for it to really replace Wishes in many people's minds. But I appreciate the change and feel that shows like this should cycle through more often than every 10+ years. 

@Bruce Dickinson

Fantasmic is on its way back in DL.

Interesting with the magic carpet thing. I wonder if they will use the same technology that they do in the Broadway show. I've seen it and its really amazing how they do it....I couldnt figure it out. 

Fantasmic at DL is right in the middle of the park on the Rivers Of America.  It doesn't have its own stadium like Fantasmic at DHS.  The first time we took the kid to DLR when she was 4, her grandmother sprung for a dessert party and seating on the second floor in New Orleans Square, a perfect view of the show and didn't have to stake out viewing territory hours ahead of time.  That party deck isn't used for that any more - the art museum inside was converted into a "Dream Suite" where you can pay a few grand to stay in the park overnight.  

I kinda liked not having Fantasmic loiterers clogging up the paths to Haunted Mansion and Pirates, but reopening the Rivers also means they are making progress on Star Wars Land, so it's all good.

Hasn't rained here in 5 months. Dryest period in 30 years. 

Supposed to rain tonight between 6-9. :headshot:
Looks mostly north right now.  Would be nice.

ETA:  clouds moving into Lakeland currently.   :thumbup:

So I started writing an avatar review and then it got over 500 words and I wasn't done and then I remembered I had a blog so I stuck it there:

Pandora review

some other things I couldn't fit into the blog:

- it's a REALLY small land. I don't know what to compare it to but it's just basically a circle you walk around and that's it. If Star Wars land is that tiny I will be bummed, although as my wife said "no you won't because all this stupid Pandora crap will be Star Wars crap so you'll actually care about it." Touché. 

- the river ride was hopelessly boring. And there was no wait so word got out on that fast. It also plays the same song heard in the restaurant and throughout the land so my wife almost jumped into the water. Impressive technology though. Just a slow boat ride, think small world with a song that you don't what they are saying. 

- the food was just ok. I mean, comparing it to over the counter theme park food it was ok but I wouldn't eat it over one of the sit down places. I never did get to try the cheeeecake. 

- it's supposed to look amazing at night lit up but they told us they weren't doing that until the grand opening. 

- they had a ####ing egg incubator in the dragon ride. Really really really weird place. 

- I have a few more pics I'll upload tomorrow. 

- I honestly wouldn't go out of my way to go. I am sure the ride I didn't get to go on is amazing but it is surprisingly thin for all the time and money they spent. 

- we saw 3 other people who said they couldn't get on the ride. Basically if you are over 6 feet and up, or are heavy or have big legs you are SOL for now. I fit comfortably in an airline seat, so just consider how tiny this is. 

So I started writing an avatar review and then it got over 500 words and I wasn't done and then I remembered I had a blog so I stuck it there:

Pandora review

some other things I couldn't fit into the blog:

- it's a REALLY small land. I don't know what to compare it to but it's just basically a circle you walk around and that's it. If Star Wars land is that tiny I will be bummed, although as my wife said "no you won't because all this stupid Pandora crap will be Star Wars crap so you'll actually care about it." Touché. 

- the river ride was hopelessly boring. And there was no wait so word got out on that fast. It also plays the same song heard in the restaurant and throughout the land so my wife almost jumped into the water. Impressive technology though. Just a slow boat ride, think small world with a song that you don't what they are saying. 

- the food was just ok. I mean, comparing it to over the counter theme park food it was ok but I wouldn't eat it over one of the sit down places. I never did get to try the cheeeecake. 

- it's supposed to look amazing at night lit up but they told us they weren't doing that until the grand opening. 

- they had a ####ing egg incubator in the dragon ride. Really really really weird place. 

- I have a few more pics I'll upload tomorrow. 

- I honestly wouldn't go out of my way to go. I am sure the ride I didn't get to go on is amazing but it is surprisingly thin for all the time and money they spent. 

- we saw 3 other people who said they couldn't get on the ride. Basically if you are over 6 feet and up, or are heavy or have big legs you are SOL for now. I fit comfortably in an airline seat, so just consider how tiny this is. 
WOW!  That sounds......not good.

Honestly though, Avatar is a forgettably bland movie and has been out for 8 years with no sequel in sight. Did they really think this was worth the time and effort of building a "Land" for it?

Honestly though, Avatar is a forgettably bland movie and has been out for 8 years with no sequel in sight. Did they really think this was worth the time and effort of building a "Land" for it?
not entirely true. But I understand your point. I think it was a bad buy but as stated here already, they were concerned about Universal

James Cameron and Fox have set the release dates for the four “Avatar” sequels, starting on Dec. 18, 2020, for “Avatar 2.”

“Avatar 3” will open  Dec. 17, 2021, followed by a three- year break for “Avatar 4, set for Dec.20, 2024. “Avatar 5” will then open on Dec. 19, 2025.

The news was announced on the movie’s official Facebook page on Saturday morning, along with a picture of Cameron and crew.

not entirely true. But I understand your point. I think it was a bad buy but as stated here already, they were concerned about Universal

James Cameron and Fox have set the release dates for the four “Avatar” sequels, starting on Dec. 18, 2020, for “Avatar 2.”

“Avatar 3” will open  Dec. 17, 2021, followed by a three- year break for “Avatar 4, set for Dec.20, 2024. “Avatar 5” will then open on Dec. 19, 2025.

The news was announced on the movie’s official Facebook page on Saturday morning, along with a picture of Cameron and crew.
Why the hell didn't they just buy Harry Potter. Wtf were they thinking?

I will say my wife is in two huge Disney Facebook groups and they all seem to love it so far. But I think people just like new things. I really don't get it. 

I mean, it's fine as an addition to AK but I sure wouldn't go out of my way to go there. 

We will be there at the beginning of July.  We are staying offsite, so we can't make FP+ until 30 days out, and I'm guessing the Pandora stuff will be unavailable.  No one in my family has ever seen the movie or frankly, has any interest in it.  I'm taking it from this that we don't need to get there first thing and rush to try and ride these.  

I will say my wife is in two huge Disney Facebook groups and they all seem to love it so far. But I think people just like new things. I really don't get it. 

I mean, it's fine as an addition to AK but I sure wouldn't go out of my way to go there. 
I'm guessing if they are part of a Disney FB group they are going to love just about anything new.  I'll be excited to see it later this year but my excitement level is probably a 5 of 6 vs. a 8 or 9 for Toy Story Land and an 11 for Star Wars Land.

and from what i'm hearing....the flight of passage ride is going down frequently, but not because of mechanical issues....unless you consider the mechanics of the human stomach, Pandora food pods and motion do not always get along. If you know what I mean. 

I'm guessing if they are part of a Disney FB group they are going to love just about anything new.  I'll be excited to see it later this year but my excitement level is probably a 5 of 6 vs. a 8 or 9 for Toy Story Land and an 11 for Star Wars Land.
That's true. The only thing those people hate is when old rides/shows get replaced. They are all currently ####ting their pants over wishes getting sacked. 

Think i may have convinced the wife to let me make the reservations for mid December. Never been during the winter months, what should we expect weather wise.

Interesting (but generic) article on facebook today saying we are getting close to the announcement of a Star Wars Hotel.

i have to think that ends up being a big hit. 

Think i may have convinced the wife to let me make the reservations for mid December. Never been during the winter months, what should we expect weather wise.
High 60s/low 70s during the day, low-mid 50s at night.  Humidity not a factor.  

WDW in December before the schools let out for the holidays is my favorite time to visit.  Christmas decorations up in full display, parks not overrun yet.

Sounds great. We would be going Dec 10-15, so the kids should still be in school.
Eyeballing my local academic calendars... the K-12 school last day is either the 19th or 20th depending on district, and finals week of the nearby colleges is the 11th-15th.  You should be checking out just as the families who pull their kids out of the last couple days before winter break start checking in.  

Users who are viewing this thread