What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (7 Viewers)

Weird thing happened. My wife asked if we should book a trip for some time between Feb and March. My daughter starts HS lax this year so our time is limited to when my son ends hockey and my daughter starts lax. Even with that said, I was kind of meh on scheduling. 
If I didn’t jump at the chance to take a Disney trip, they may be in more trouble than I thought. 
Not even sure why I wasn’t all in. Maybe she booked without checking with me. 
:bag:

trip is booked. Very limited in what was available. Was either PO Riverside which we love. Been there twice. OR, a suite at art of animation. We went with Art of Animation for two reasons. 1. The suite. Now that the kids are 14 and 12, a little space is a nice thing. 2. The sky liner. 

Decided to do a 3 day park pass and leave one day to relax at hotel and hit up downtown Disney. 

Gave the kids an option of Disney or Universal since there was some great info given here. They didn’t even want to hear it. They said Disney is our jam. I reminded them we go every year and they looked at me and said, so. Ok, Disney it is. Lol

Will be our first go round with Genie plus. Most places were booked for dinner which isn’t surprising since we are a month out. Grabbed Jungle skipper canteen for the first time and will wing the other days. 

:bag:

trip is booked. Very limited in what was available. Was either PO Riverside which we love. Been there twice. OR, a suite at art of animation. We went with Art of Animation for two reasons. 1. The suite. Now that the kids are 14 and 12, a little space is a nice thing. 2. The sky liner. 

Decided to do a 3 day park pass and leave one day to relax at hotel and hit up downtown Disney. 

Gave the kids an option of Disney or Universal since there was some great info given here. They didn’t even want to hear it. They said Disney is our jam. I reminded them we go every year and they looked at me and said, so. Ok, Disney it is. Lol

Will be our first go round with Genie plus. Most places were booked for dinner which isn’t surprising since we are a month out. Grabbed Jungle skipper canteen for the first time and will wing the other days. 
I think you’ll be very happy with AoA.  The skyliner alone is a huge plus.  But the resort, while still considered a value is a step above the all stars.  You’ll have fun walking around the themed spaces between the resort with the life sized characters

For those going to Disney and concerned with Covid (or possibly getting sick in general), I'd advise against using the shuttle busses from the Disney resorts to the parks. We're currently staying at Port Orleans Riverside and they really packed the bus we took to Magic Kingdom yesterday. Wife and I were sitting and all seats along with both rows of standing spots were filled. Very tight. Just something to keep in mind. 

For those going to Disney and concerned with Covid (or possibly getting sick in general), I'd advise against using the shuttle busses from the Disney resorts to the parks. We're currently staying at Port Orleans Riverside and they really packed the bus we took to Magic Kingdom yesterday. Wife and I were sitting and all seats along with both rows of standing spots were filled. Very tight. Just something to keep in mind. 

My sister-in-law and her family, as well as my in-laws, were in Disney World this week. Due to fly back today, but father-in-law, brother-in-law and my niece all tested positive. FIL and niece both symptomatic; FIL is 85, so a bit worried about him, but hopefully vaccine and booster both do their job.

I have a trip planned in April and makes me a bit nervous. My wife pushed hard for a splurge to the Grand Floridian, and ended up booking that. At least that will let us take Monorail, boat, or walk to avoid shuttle buses.

One of the main reasons we did AOA so we get to use the sky liner twice. Maybe Uber to Contemporary hotel and walk to Disney from there. 

:hey: I do.   I've been to WDW more than 30 times and have been to most of the WDW resorts and a few DVC resorts.  Still love Saratoga for the laid back vibe and ability to walk to Disney Springs. 
we ended up booking at SS.  We might have friends coming with us now so we did a 2 bedroom lockoff in the preferred section. Figure if the friends decide not to go, we just release the lock off reservation.  I'm going to ask for a DS view, would love to enjoy coffee or a nice drink on the balcony looking out over DS. 

It might even entice me to pick up the clubs again and squeeze in a quick 9 holes one day. 

Last edited by a moderator:
How does it work with magic bands these days. I know they don’t come free. We just find some of our old ones and use those. 

How does it work with magic bands these days. I know they don’t come free. We just find some of our old ones and use those. 
any active MB should be listed on your MDE account. So yes, if you have old ones and they are still linked to you then you are free to use them. 

the 2nd option in the pull down is "my magic bands and cards" click on that to see whats active. 

Wife has to go to Star Wars.

So....got the 2 day FL resident park pass @ $149 for weekdays.

2 nights at the Dolphin Resort. Drive in to Dolphin arrive 10:00ish. Self park. Walk to Epcot. Mosey and ride. Ride some more. Munch on street cars in China. Mosey to hotel and check in around 4:00, relax and then dine at il Mulino 6:30. 

Mosey back to Epcot for the 9:00 Harmonious mind blowing techno show.

Early rise to rope drop Hollywood and then may the force be with us!

Officially booked for UO.  

We booked thru Costco Travel.  

4 nights at Loews Portofino Bay.  In the fasts of reviews we did it says there are 3 pools and the rooms are all larger than Royal Pacific.  It was about $400 cheaper.  We figure we can't go wrong so lets save some money.  

Unlimited Express Passes for everyone.  

Early Admission (don't think we'll need this with the express pass)

5 Day Universal Orlando Resort 2-Park 3-Day Park-to-Park plus 2 Days Free Promo Ticket Dated.  We probably should have gotten a clarification, but I read this as...we can go for 5 days.  3 of those days we have a "park hopper" that we can go between UOA and UO.  Its honestly overkill since I have to work, but lowering it to 4 or even 3 days only lowered the cost by $150 or less.  

And we get a $285 Costco card?  

All this for $4,606.   Seems like a great deal.  

And just for kicks, we compared it to a similar Disney trip.  Only room available is at the Boardwalk, I'd like to see the price of the Poly or Grand Floridian, just because the Loews seem to be the premium spots.  Add in 5 day tickets, park hopper, and genie + it was $7100.  

4 nights at Loews Portofino Bay.  In the fasts of reviews we did it says there are 3 pools and the rooms are all larger than Royal Pacific.  It was about $400 cheaper.  We figure we can't go wrong so lets save some money.  

5 Day Universal Orlando Resort 2-Park 3-Day Park-to-Park plus 2 Days Free Promo Ticket Dated.  We probably should have gotten a clarification, but I read this as...we can go for 5 days.  3 of those days we have a "park hopper" that we can go between UOA and UO.  Its honestly overkill since I have to work, but lowering it to 4 or even 3 days only lowered the cost by $150 or less.  

And just for kicks, we compared it to a similar Disney trip.  Only room available is at the Boardwalk, I'd like to see the price of the Poly or Grand Floridian, just because the Loews seem to be the premium spots.  Add in 5 day tickets, park hopper, and genie + it was $7100.  

Hagrids ride and the new jurassic park coaster don't take express pass so would definately use early admission for those.  Especially Hagrids as those lines can be long.  

Check with Guest Services while you're there - the last time we purchased a 3 day ticket the cost difference to upgrade to an annual pass was miniscule - like $50 a ticket.  It's at least worth it to stop and ask.

You're going to love the Portofino - it's an awesome property and the boat ride over to the parks is super easy.

You got a great deal and I think you're right:  5 days at Universal with Unlimited Express is wayyy overkill.   You'll probably do everything in 2 days, maybe use the 3rd to re-ride your favorites.

How many people is this for? 

Booked 2 nights at The Dolphin coming up in  a few weeks. Wife is chomping at the bit to see Star Wars so we got the 2 parks for $149 FL resident deal. We'll hit Epcot  on arrival day and stay late for Harmonious and then ninja rope drop Hollywood Studios the next day. Walking in and out from the hotel both days.

Booked 2 nights at The Dolphin coming up in  a few weeks. Wife is chomping at the bit to see Star Wars so we got the 2 parks for $149 FL resident deal. We'll hit Epcot  on arrival day and stay late for Harmonious and then ninja rope drop Hollywood Studios the next day. Walking in and out from the hotel both days.
you guys didn't want to wait until March to stay at the StarCruiser?

There right now. Other than the buses that transport back and forth from the hotels to the parks I don’t feel like I’m putting myself at any more risk than my normal routine. Cramming people ear to ear in the buses at this point still seems sketchy. We put on N95s. Rainy days at Disney are glorious. Reside to the fact that you’re gonna get wet and have fun. Stand by wait at Seven Dwarfs Mine Train today was down to 30 minutes. We walked on most everything else without more than a 10 minute wait.

Also the extra magic hours for deluxe hotels is a nice benefit if you can swing it. We stayed at OKW buying DVC points and it didn’t cost much more than a value hotel. $950 for five nights. The extra two hours at Epcot last night was money. From 9-11 we hit Frozen, Remy and Soarin and probably could have gone on Test Track again but called it a night at 1030. 

Another big pump for the extra magic hours. Tonight was 8-10 at Magic Kingdom and in those two hours we hit Seven Dwarfs, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion and had time for a couple nighttime photo shoots and a leisurely Dole Whip. It’s like I imagine Disney used to be. 

My sister-in-law and her family, as well as my in-laws, were in Disney World this week. Due to fly back today, but father-in-law, brother-in-law and my niece all tested positive. FIL and niece both symptomatic; FIL is 85, so a bit worried about him, but hopefully vaccine and booster both do their job.

I have a trip planned in April and makes me a bit nervous. My wife pushed hard for a splurge to the Grand Floridian, and ended up booking that. At least that will let us take Monorail, boat, or walk to avoid shuttle buses.
We skipped the shuttle buses when we were there in late Nov/early Dec, and that was before Omicron. But we had our car with us and we were at Bay Lake Towers so we had easy access to the monorail. 

I'm hoping things change by summer (for our trip), but I'll be exclusively Ubers and taxis anywhere we go. I'm not jumping in a crowded bus these days here at home, not interested in jumping in one while i'm supposed to be relaxing. We are doing limited park time anyway, so most of the vacation will be resort focused. 

We're heading down in April. When using the Disney app and Genie+ does each individual person of the family need a log in account or can it be done through just one login? Four people total but the two teenagers will surely want to schedule separate things from the adults.

We're heading down in April. When using the Disney app and Genie+ does each individual person of the family need a log in account or can it be done through just one login? Four people total but the two teenagers will surely want to schedule separate things from the adults.
everyone is going to need their own profile/log in. It was like that before the new system as well. 

What you'll need to do is link your family together, so when making plans for everyone their profile is there to select easily. However, when the teens make their own plans, they can simply "uncheck" the adults and do their own thing. The flip side is that if you want to include them in future plans, they may not be available until whatever it is they are doing on their own is fulfilled. I.e if you wanted to make a lightning lane reservation for the family at 3, but they already hold another that doesn't open until 2:30, they may need to tap into their location before you can add them back into your party. 

More returns to normalcy:

The Festival of Fantasy parade will be returning to Magic Kingdom on March 9, 2022, almost two years after it paused performances due to COVID-19. March 9 will also be the parade’s 8-year anniversary. The Maleficent dragon float will be returning.

everyone is going to need their own profile/log in. It was like that before the new system as well. 

What you'll need to do is link your family together, so when making plans for everyone their profile is there to select easily. However, when the teens make their own plans, they can simply "uncheck" the adults and do their own thing. The flip side is that if you want to include them in future plans, they may not be available until whatever it is they are doing on their own is fulfilled. I.e if you wanted to make a lightning lane reservation for the family at 3, but they already hold another that doesn't open until 2:30, they may need to tap into their location before you can add them back into your party. 

Thank you, I figured as much but just wanted to make sure. Appreciate it.

An end of an ear is in the works. 

This morning they began removing the iconic purple, red yellow street signs around WDW and began replacing them with new blue and yellow signs

Yea, the purple and red ones may seem a bit outdated, but they meant something to me when we saw the 1st one and knew that we were officially on property. I know things can't last forever, and in the grand scheme of things these would be minor, but I will miss them. 

An end of an ear is in the works. 

This morning they began removing the iconic purple, red yellow street signs around WDW and began replacing them with new blue and yellow signs

Yea, the purple and red ones may seem a bit outdated, but they meant something to me when we saw the 1st one and knew that we were officially on property. I know things can't last forever, and in the grand scheme of things these would be minor, but I will miss them. 
Yeah - that does kind of suck.  

glvsav37 said:
I mean they did go up in the early 90's. 30 years is a good run. Sad to see them go, but I guess its justified by now. Just wish they were replacing them with something a little more "Disney" 
Yeah, those new signs are just boring. They need a little bit of Disney mixed in. 

Usually go in November because we love it at Christmas time but booked Easter plus the week after for daughter's 5th birthday. Arrive on the 17th. What kind of crowds am I looking at?  Spring breaks are over by then right?

Sunday Gravy said:
Usually go in November because we love it at Christmas time but booked Easter plus the week after for daughter's 5th birthday. Arrive on the 17th. What kind of crowds am I looking at?  Spring breaks are over by then right?
That's when most catholic schools take their spring break.

Hate to say it, but right now there is no slow season, or even a partially slow season. FWR, people are knocking down the doors  to get in and its not slowing down. On top of that, Disney has gotten really good at aligning staffing and ride timing to the attendance that even when there might be less people there technically, the lines stay fairly full and it feels more crowded than it is. 

I'd say just adjust your expectations accordingly and prepare for crowds. Do your homework, and hope that gets you on a few things more than the average person who didn't. With a 5 year old, I'd plan shorter, more targeted park time and with her birthday, maybe plan for some special events and celebrations outside the parks. 

Where are you staying? 

My daughter wants to go visit colleges in March so we're hitting up Florida on the 11th. After that, we're going to MK and Epcot during the weekend. I'm psyched because I wasn't sure if Disney was in the cards at all because the wife chose our vacation destination this year. 

Shrewd planning by my daughter. I taught her well. :)

Hate to say it, but right now there is no slow season, or even a partially slow season. FWR, people are knocking down the doors  to get in and its not slowing down. On top of that, Disney has gotten really good at aligning staffing and ride timing to the attendance that even when there might be less people there technically, the lines stay fairly full and it feels more crowded than it is. 

I'd say just adjust your expectations accordingly and prepare for crowds. Do your homework, and hope that gets you on a few things more than the average person who didn't. With a 5 year old, I'd plan shorter, more targeted park time and with her birthday, maybe plan for some special events and celebrations outside the parks. 

Where are you staying? 
Yup. We just got back and last week is a typically slow week and it was busy. Not Christmas busy but still crowds everywhere. The most magical day we had was the day with steady rain. It was like Disney when I was a kid. We got soaked but didn’t care. No lines more than 20-30 minutes and sparse crowds. Most days it’s ridiculous mid afternoons. We found it better to just go back to the hotel for a few hours and go back later, especially on the extended magic hours days.

FWIW, I just tried to book a DVC room for that week and I couldnt..anywhere. So I would say expect crowds. 

Hollywood Studios is the tough park for me. I can never seem to get that one right. It’s always packed and we end up doing little to nothing. 

Where are you staying? 

This all sounds awful.  Gawd.....

Hollywood Studios is the tough park for me. I can never seem to get that one right. It’s always packed and we end up doing little to nothing. 
to be fair, HS Went from having the least amount of D and E ticket rides to having the most in 2 years. Plus its the smallest footprint of all the parks with IMO the least traffic flow friendly layout. 

trust me, many long time Disney fans are starting to feel that way. 
This was my last time. My kids know that and they’re ok with it as well. I’ll take them other places for vacations but Disney is out. Price/benefit just isn’t there anymore imo and I felt stressed most of the time. I tried to not project that on to the kids so they had a good time but I just can’t do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread