What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prime Rib Christmas Supper (1 Viewer)

It's in! (that's what she said)
Came out perfect with the 500 and shut off method.  Always make roasted garlic to spread on a baguette with it and sour cream horseradish sauce.  Looking forward to leftovers sandwich tonight.

So just doing a very basic version of this and I want to document my step by step:

1.  Let 4 pound roast sit at room temp for an hour.

2.  Rub with S&P with a bit of rosemary and thyme

3.  Sear it on the cast iron about 2 min each side

4.  325 for about 80 minutes in a covered foil ......

5.  Dominate my dinner table ?

Not going to bother tying it with string.....

So just doing a very basic version of this and I want to document my step by step:

1.  Let 4 pound roast sit at room temp for an hour.

2.  Rub with S&P with a bit of rosemary and thyme

3.  Sear it on the cast iron about 2 min each side

4.  325 for about 80 minutes in a covered foil ......

5.  Dominate my dinner table ?

Not going to bother tying it with string.....
Try roasting it in the oven first, then do the sear at the end. There will be no grey around the edges like with searing it first. It's called the reverse sear

Had a two-day late Christmas supper. Used a lot of the info posted here as a consensus recipe. Came out awesome. Took Jayrok's advice and threw cuts in the oven for people who like it more well done. Everything worked. Great thread.   

Last edited by a moderator:
So I actually used the "perfect" method and went without searing.  Crust came out superb (unbelievable aroma throughout the house during the cook) as I added the infamous Lipton onion soup to the butter mixture and that made all the difference.

However, it was quite a bit on the rare side as apparently I did not get it to room temp enough before putting it in the oven.

Anyway, really just want to say doing a cook like this is what makes America great.  Literally no other country does ish like this.

I am in charge of the prime rib this year (vs my old man).  Looking forward to some medium rare meat this year vs the typically medium- medium well version we usually get. 

I'm not doing prime rib per se, but I picked up a couple of thick Ribeye steaks I'm gonna do on my new kamado grill. Gonna slow cook at around 220 until internal temp hits 115, pull em, and then sear em directly above red hot coals. Going for wall to wall med rare.

First time Christmas prime dinner.

Any cooking recommendations for a 7 lb w/o bone?  Can I still use perfect (500 for 35 minutes) method?

Doing this for the first time ever

Bought an 8 lb. Rib roast. 

The plan is to put on the bbq using indirect heat. Basically left and right burners on low and medium burner off. I have a shallow pan to collect drippings for au jus. Also have a meat thermometer. Was going to cook like this for around 2 hours monitoring temp the whole time. Then take it off around 110 degrees, tin foil, prepare au jus, then put middle burner on and crust sides. 

Thoughts? Don't want this to be a disaster. 

Doing this for the first time ever

Bought an 8 lb. Rib roast. 

The plan is to put on the bbq using indirect heat. Basically left and right burners on low and medium burner off. I have a shallow pan to collect drippings for au jus. Also have a meat thermometer. Was going to cook like this for around 2 hours monitoring temp the whole time. Then take it off around 110 degrees, tin foil, prepare au jus, then put middle burner on and crust sides. 

Thoughts? Don't want this to be a disaster. 
You got this. It will be fantastic. My only thing is an 8 lb roast is not going to go up a whole heck of a lot by searing the outside. You might want to take it to 120 before the sear. 

schlesinj said:
First time Christmas prime dinner.

Any cooking recommendations for a 7 lb w/o bone?  Can I still use perfect (500 for 35 minutes) method?
I am doing same and I second this question. So far I am just combing this thread for info.

I hav about an 8 lb  bone-in roast. If I am doing the 500 degree and let it sit method, how long should I let it sit to bring it to room temp?

TIA!

Cooked mine today. Oven never got to 500 so I cooked an extra 7 minutes before turning off. Did not come out medium rare. Was more medium. People said it was good. Whatevs. 

I would expect one of the pro chefs on the board to respond with more official answers, but I figure I can answer from a laymans perspective.Screw turkey/ham and the rest. I cook prime rib for the big occasions, at least 4 a year, including the one I will cook for Christmas. I don't see why people screw with turkey when they are harder work and don't taste as good.I forget what website I got directions from, but I cook mine for 15 minutes at 525 (yes that is hot) and then reduce it to 325 for about 20 minutes per pound. But the key is the internal temp, don't go by time. If you are going to do this much (and you will, because you will find it so easy and better than more traditional meats) buy a thermometer that sits on top of the counter with a probe that goes down into the meat. That way you don't have to keep opening the oven and letting out the heat. Anyway, to your question. Typically rare is 135. I take mine out at 130 and it gets to 135-140, which is a little more done than most restaurants. But, most people don't eat meat that is as bloody as prime rib is in good restaurants. I find I please more of the crowd this way and still have it rare enough for those that like it that way.One more key to success, did you rub it with anything? I find the seasoning that you rub on it takes it from great to highly exceptional. My local meat shop has a mix that is wonderful, but I have purchased prime rib rub in a store before. I highly suggest a rub on seasoning.
So a 7lb roast will take 2.5 hrs + to cook?

So a 7lb roast will take 2.5 hrs + to cook?
I have used this the last several years... and did a 4.5 pounder yesterday that was perfect https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/221958/chef-johns-perfect-prime-rib/

(Note - on the 500 degree portion of the cook, I round up to the next minute and then add one more minute.  I made this modification after learning my oven's cooking characteristics).

ETA - using the link you would do 35 minutes at 500, then shut off the oven leaving it undisturbed for the next 2 hours.  Total time would be 2h 35m.

I have used this the last several years... and did a 4.5 pounder yesterday that was perfect https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/221958/chef-johns-perfect-prime-rib/

(Note - on the 500 degree portion of the cook, I round up to the next minute and then add one more minute.  I made this modification after learning my oven's cooking characteristics).

ETA - using the link you would do 35 minutes at 500, then shut off the oven leaving it undisturbed for the next 2 hours.  Total time would be 2h 35m.
This did not work out for me. At the end of 2hrs 35 mins meat was at 110 degrees. I put it back in the oven and turned oven on. Things went downhill from here. In the future I will try a recipe where the oven stays on.

So the next question is if you have leftovers any special recipes to change it up or just reheat and go for round 2?
I make a prime rib soup. Make a stock from the bone, add some red wine and rosemary, mushrooms, onions, garlic. Put the meat in at the end and serve over rice. 

I didn't take pictures this year, but we served a 3 bone and 4 bone again using the reverse sear method @ 200F with a 550F finish. Took each of them out just before internal temps hit 125F. They went in about 9:30 am and were served just before 4 pm.

Both roasts were absolute perfection, solid rare/medium rare edge to edge.

Somehow the timing worked in our favor and we were able to season a cast iron pan, plus bake croissants while transitioning the oven from 200 to 550. Far less stress this year than previous years (we've done reverse sear for 3 or 4 years now).

I highly recommend reverse sear because it's given us perfect meat every year. But, with any method, you need to use a meat thermometer to make sure the temperature is right. I would not trust any method without verifying the temperature as you go.

I bought a second full roast, cut into 2, 2, and 3 bone to get us through the winter. I can't wait to pull these out of the freezer.

Users who are viewing this thread