What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prime Rib Christmas Supper (1 Viewer)

This year I'm doing the biggest one yet - a 6-Rib, 17.8 lb standing rib roast.

I usually use the "5 Minutes per Pound at 500 degrees then shut it off" method, but that would bring me to almost 90 minutes at 500 to start.  Makes me more than a little nervous.  I was thinking 50-60 minutes at 500 degrees at the most.  Any experienced people with an opinion?  

We had a leftover 2 bone from last year that we cooked a week ago. Set the oven at the lowest temp yet (180 deg F) until 125 deg F, let it sit for 30 minutes, then seared at 500 deg F.

Edge to edge perfection. I'll try to post a pic.

We have a second leftover 2 bone from last year, but realized the 2 bone was barely enough for our immediate family. We now also have a fresh 3 bone that we'll prepare at the same time, so we can deliver some to local friends and family that we can't celebrate with this year.

https://ibb.co/qjphQyx

Last edited by a moderator:

I usually use the "5 Minutes per Pound at 500 degrees then shut it off" method, but that would bring me to almost 90 minutes at 500 to start.  Makes me more than a little nervous.  I was thinking 50-60 minutes at 500 degrees at the most.  Any experienced people with an opinion?  
I'm in similar predicament (15.5 lb), have had great success with the 5 min/lb at 500 method with smaller ones, but was also worried about that and planned to go to about 60 minutes at 500 then shut it off. Just need to plan for it to take a bit longer to cook to temp.

Wheezer34 said:

Read some more, and one of the sites that I have used that talks about the 500 degree/closed oven method does say it works better with smaller roasts, so you may have to crank the oven on if it cools too much and can't finish cooking the prime rib to temp, or use a different method.

I think I am going to go with a reverse sear today - cook low and slow at 200 degrees until it comes to temp, remove from oven to rest for 40-60 minutes, meanwhile cranking oven to 500-550, then right before serving pop into the oven for 6-10 minutes to give it that lovely brown crust.

CletiusMaximus said:
Is is safe to assume the rib bones, after cooking, are a no-no for the dog?  What if I cut one off raw? 

Absolute no-no after cooking.

I "think" raw is ok, it's what a dog would have eaten in the wild. But, I would google this to be certain.

Read some more, and one of the sites that I have used that talks about the 500 degree/closed oven method does say it works better with smaller roasts, so you may have to crank the oven on if it cools too much and can't finish cooking the prime rib to temp, or use a different method.

I think I am going to go with a reverse sear today - cook low and slow at 200 degrees until it comes to temp, remove from oven to rest for 40-60 minutes, meanwhile cranking oven to 500-550, then right before serving pop into the oven for 6-10 minutes to give it that lovely brown crust.
You can not go wrong with reverse sear. Enjoy!

You can not go wrong with reverse sear. Enjoy!
Done it with steaks, and have used the 500 degree method and the more traditional start high heat then go low and slow with prime rib, this will be my first time going reverse sear with a large prime rib.

These are the basic directions I'll be following

Just trying to map out timeline for how long it will take (15.5 pounder) so that I am pulling from the oven sometime around 515-530 or so - my family is doing a big zoom call at 4pm and I don't want to have to keep running back and forth monitoring the temp at that time (guess I need to get one of those fancy remote meat thermometers)

Done it with steaks, and have used the 500 degree method and the more traditional start high heat then go low and slow with prime rib, this will be my first time going reverse sear with a large prime rib.

Just trying to map out timeline for how long it will take (15.5 pounder) so that I am pulling from the oven sometime around 515-530 or so - my family is doing a big zoom call at 4pm and I don't want to have to keep running back and forth monitoring the temp at that time (guess I need to get one of those fancy remote meat thermometers)
Im doing the same thing this year as the other method just smokes up the house too much. I am following this one which is basically same as you

https://www.fifteenspatulas.com/prime-rib/

Here's a link that I've used as a guideline, I think it is more accurate with the target temperatures. 115 will be extremely rare (not medium rare as all-recipes is stating). The picture I posted above was removed from the oven at 125:

My cook times usually run way longer than they state, but I have also started with sub-32 roasts a few times. You would do best to not hold yourself to a 15 window. Either remove it early and reheat if needed (as mentioned in the notes) or make your plans to eat when the roast is ready. Trying to hit a specific time with reverse sear is going to be stressful.

Im doing the same thing this year as the other method just smokes up the house too much. I am following this one which is basically same as you

https://www.fifteenspatulas.com/prime-rib/
Thank you for this link - I saw that one yesterday when browsing on my phone but it didn't pop up on the computer when I looked this AM

Here's a link that I've used as a guideline, I think it is more accurate with the target temperatures. 115 will be extremely rare (not medium rare as all-recipes is stating). The picture I posted above was removed from the oven at 125:

My cook times usually run way longer than they state, but I have also started with sub-32 roasts a few times. You would do best to not hold yourself to a 15 window. Either remove it early and reheat if needed (as mentioned in the notes) or make your plans to eat when the roast is ready. Trying to hit a specific time with reverse sear is going to be stressful.
Yes, fortunately I have a lot of flexibility in the time as it is just the wife and 3 kids tonight - lowest my oven goes is 170 - based on this I'm guessing I need to allow for at least 5-6 hours of cook time to get to the 125-130 temp, another 30-60 minutes for rest time then the 10-15 searing. I'll plan to get it going around 11:30 or so and adjust the timing for everything else around that based on how it progresses temp wise

You guys are making me hungry.  :)   My mom makes an amazing prime rib, so that's what I will be having for Christmas.

I did a 5 lb roast indirect on a Weber kettle earlier this year that turned out fantastic.  Next time I think I will try getting a little Weber Smokey Joe super hot after the roast is to temp for the reverse sear.  Should you rest a small roast like that before doing the reverse sear?

sorry if this is a repeat

has anyone else done this cooking approach?  seems to good to be true but has gotten a lot of very positive reviews 

- "get the oven to 500 degrees"

- keep the roast in at that temp 5 minutes for every pound (ex. 7lb roast = 35 minutes)

- then shut off the oven and leave it in there for 2hrs.

- bam! ...perfect med-rare rib roast

I'm basically doing this today for our Christmas Eve dinner, but on the Traeger for the slow cook part as the oven will be in use for some banana bread and other things throughout the day.

has anyone else done this cooking approach?  seems to good to be true but has gotten a lot of very positive reviews 

- keep the roast in at that temp 5 minutes for every pound (ex. 7lb roast = 35 minutes)

Ive done it many times. sometimes it works great, sometimes it is overdone. 

Ive done it many times. sometimes it works great, sometimes it is overdone. 
thanks - any tips for helping to make sure it's not over done?  You think it's more important to 

- maybe go at a slightly lower temp instead of 500

- take it out a little earlier?  

ETA:  now I'm a little spooked ... :bag: ...yikes

Bink, I've only done smaller boneless roasts (2-3 lbs) but.....

I do 7 minutes per lb at 500, then shut the oven off for an hour. Comes out a pretty good medium rare each time.

Bink, I've only done smaller boneless roasts (2-3 lbs) but.....

I do 7 minutes per lb at 500, then shut the oven off for an hour. Comes out a pretty good medium rare each time.
Thanks UH ...we have a 7lb ...you think that would need a little longer than an hour?  I figure I could pull it and temp check - but then I would lose some of the heat by opening the oven. 

Thanks UH ...we have a 7lb ...you think that would need a little longer than an hour?  I figure I could pull it and temp check - but then I would lose some of the heat by opening the oven. 
Yeah, that's a larger piece than I've done but I'd think it would want more than an hour at that size. I don't think you'd lose too much heat if you snatch it out right quick to check the temp. 

Hopefully someone with more experience than I can jump in before I steer you wrong :lol:

Yeah, that's a larger piece than I've done but I'd think it would want more than an hour at that size. I don't think you'd lose too much heat if you snatch it out right quick to check the temp. 

Hopefully someone with more experience than I can jump in before I steer you wrong :lol:
merry christmas GB ...and thanks again 

Have been discussing this method here and in the Eating for Christmas thread.

I've done that method and it works well, but you still need to keep a thermometer in the meat as it is not an exact science - once the meat hits temp, pull it out. Someimes that may be an hour and 45 minutes, sometimes it is 2 hours and 15, just depends on how big your piece of meat is (softball there for someone), and how well your oven holds heat (ie, if it has a fan that kicks on to cool it faster, this method won't work)

I'm going reverse sear today as I've got a 15.5 pounder I'm cooking. Went into the oven 15 minutes ago at 175 - going to let that go the rest of the day until it hits about 125 internal temp, pull it out to rest, crank the oven up to 500-550, then sear it in there for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving. I've not done reverse sear for a piece of meat this large, but based on other reviews and other users here, it seems to come out well.

thanks - any tips for helping to make sure it's not over done?  You think it's more important to 

- maybe go at a slightly lower temp instead of 500

- take it out a little earlier?  

ETA:  now I'm a little spooked ... :bag: ...yikes
My oven sucks. ill be probing it this year. I think that is key. 

Grilled the rib til about 115° IT...had issues keeping a steady temp and had to babysit it the last hour, so I pulled a bit earlier then expected and finished it over direct high heat and then let it rest for about 45 min. Bottom line is it turned out pretty great, but maybe 5 degrees over my target final temp. Its tender as can be and the flavor from the grill is fantastic. 

Resting

Pretty nice

I trimmed the roast to 6lbs. Put it in at 500 for 33 mins (kids distracted me). I’m nervous but #### smells good! Will temp check at 5. 

side note, how do I cook my potatoes and Brussels now? 

I trimmed the roast to 6lbs. Put it in at 500 for 33 mins (kids distracted me). I’m nervous but #### smells good! Will temp check at 5. 

side note, how do I cook my potatoes and Brussels now? 
Oof. Oven really shed  the heat fast. Was 100 after an hour shut off. Ive turned it back on to 200. This is gonna be dog food!

Ok, the low and slow and then reverse sear kicked ###. 
Same. On the Traeger, started at 185 but it was taking forever so bumped up to 225 after about 2 1/2 hours, pulled it when it hit 125 (about 5 hours total for an 8-pounder). Let it rest for about an hour, then into a 550 degree oven for 8-9 minutes. https://ibb.co/rbc4MYW

Made a jus out of the pan drippings and some beef broth slightly thickened with cornstarch, that and some horseradish made every bite amazing. 

Super tender, but next time I’ll pull it at 118-120 to get a little more on the rare side of medium-rare. 

This was the first year we were extremely well prepared, seasoned and let sit overnight in the fridge.

Also the first year the roasts were completely thawed, started cooking at 45 degrees internal. 

Cooked at 180, the 2 bone hit 125 after 4 hours. The 3 bone took another hour to hit 122.

Both roasts settled at about 3 1/2 degrees higher after sitting.

I went higher temp (530) and longer (8 mins) than usual with the crust. A hair more gray around the edges than I've had recently, but still came out pretty great.

Ok, the low and slow and then reverse sear kicked ###. Much better than the cook at 500 for x minutes imo. 
I sort of agree - I like the 500 and sit for the smaller one I did earlier this year, that one came out good, but the low and slow on the 15 pounder cam out great - fortunately had flexibility in timing as it ended up taking about 7 hours to hit 125 internal temp, pulled it, made the Yorkshire, cranked the oven up and finished it and it came out really good.

In fact, just finished making beef dip sandwiches for the family with some of the leftovers, will probably make more later tonight as it was that good and I want to clear out the leftovers to make room for more food.

BUMP.  This is year 2 of me trying this.  Who has advice for getting the good sear?  Last year I seared first, then did the supper hot oven to start and let it sit.  The sear was sub par and the meat really good if a little tough.  

I'm going to attempt smoking a prime rib - if I can get it prepped in time before leaving for basketball games, may try do one tomorrow as a test run for smoking it - my local grocery store had USDA Choice on sale for $6.99/lb so I picked up an 11 pounder yesterday

going to be a small chistmas dinner: three of us and maybe a few friends.  gave my family a choice of ham, cornish game hens (clementine, pomegranate glaze- stuffed with wild rice), or prime rib... they chose the ham.

- yorkshire pudding

- tumeric glazed carrots

- truffled farro

- broccolini

- White Russian pie

I'm going to attempt smoking a prime rib - if I can get it prepped in time before leaving for basketball games, may try do one tomorrow as a test run for smoking it - my local grocery store had USDA Choice on sale for $6.99/lb so I picked up an 11 pounder yesterday

that is pretty good for choice. what is their price on prime? Might be worth the upgrade.  With that reduction (with the current high beef prices), these items might be refreshed (fresh to frozen to thawed)

that is pretty good for choice. what is their price on prime? Might be worth the upgrade.  With that reduction (with the current high beef prices), these items might be refreshed (fresh to frozen to thawed)

It was Ralph's, no prime in stock (and in general their Prime is usually wildly overpriced compared to Costco or Stater Bros).

For reference Costco was at I believe $13.99 for Choice and around $20-22 for Prime - can't recall exactly. For the $6.99 weekly special, I nearly bought two, but freezer space is at a premium in our household right now so I did not have the space.

Professionally, i would use our flatttop at a med - high heat and sear enough for color and texture on each side, then finish in the oven.

at home, I use either my cast iron skillet, or my griddle and do the same

Look at me, I'm a professional chef  😁

..... I know Drunken Knight IRL, so I am not being "uncool", just having some Friday fun

Look at me, I'm a professional chef  😁

..... I know Drunken Knight IRL, so I am not being "uncool", just having some Friday fun
yes…. We have known each other for over 20 years and would see each other at least annually in Vegas for FFPC, with some occasional trips to OC.

you should have come out to vail when I was cooking so I could have provided a tasting menu for you 

Butcher giving me $19.99/lb for a prime 3-bone 9 pounder.  Guy is awesome... his listed price is $23.99 and everywhere else going for 25.99+

Doing reverse sear this year... can't wait!

Same. On the Traeger, started at 185 but it was taking forever so bumped up to 225 after about 2 1/2 hours, pulled it when it hit 125 (about 5 hours total for an 8-pounder). Let it rest for about an hour, then into a 550 degree oven for 8-9 minutes. https://ibb.co/rbc4MYW

Made a jus out of the pan drippings and some beef broth slightly thickened with cornstarch, that and some horseradish made every bite amazing. 

Super tender, but next time I’ll pull it at 118-120 to get a little more on the rare side of medium-rare. 
I've seen this thread ever Christmas and finally going to join in.  Plan on putting mine on the smoker too. :thumbup:

Planning for a 3 bone and a 4 bone, reverse sear as usual.

We have a new double oven. One is always convection, the other can turn off convection. Does anyone have experience whether convection makes a difference if cooking strategy?

Users who are viewing this thread