What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Barack Obama FBG campaign headquarters *** (1 Viewer)

Posted this in the McCain campaign thread, but I bet you guys will like it better over here. It's an article from this month's rolling stone and viciously goes after McCain.

"Ouch"
This needs more attention. I've been talking about some of this stuff for a while, I'm glad it'll be out there for a wider audience now - McCain is a real dirt bag, and always has been.
In the air, the hard-partying McCain had a knack for stalling out his planes in midflight. He was still in training, in Texas, when he crashed his first plane into Corpus Christi Bay during a routine practice landing. The plane stalled, and McCain was knocked cold on impact. When he came to, the plane was underwater, and he had to swim to the surface to be rescued. Some might take such a near-death experience as a wake-up call: McCain took some painkillers and a nap, and then went out carousing that night.
Jesus - I may have to vote for the guy now.

Posted this in the McCain campaign thread, but I bet you guys will like it better over here. It's an article from this month's rolling stone and viciously goes after McCain.

"Ouch"
This needs more attention. I've been talking about some of this stuff for a while, I'm glad it'll be out there for a wider audience now - McCain is a real dirt bag, and always has been.
In the air, the hard-partying McCain had a knack for stalling out his planes in midflight. He was still in training, in Texas, when he crashed his first plane into Corpus Christi Bay during a routine practice landing. The plane stalled, and McCain was knocked cold on impact. When he came to, the plane was underwater, and he had to swim to the surface to be rescued. Some might take such a near-death experience as a wake-up call: McCain took some painkillers and a nap, and then went out carousing that night.
For President or for Rush Chairman?

"Ouch"
For President or for Rush Chairman?
President. Rush Chairman's important.

I fully expect palin to outperform expectations tonight for her debate, and likely see a swing in the polls back towards mccain, slightly.

I fully expect palin to outperform expectations tonight for her debate, and likely see a swing in the polls back towards mccain, slightly.
At this point I think Palin's made her bed and is basically just a sideshow (ie no matter what she does more than half the population will still think she's unqualified.)In any case, McCain's bigger problem right now is that Obama is going to be able to bank huge leads in early voting (where as much as a third of the people are expected to vote) in a bunch of swing states like CO, VA, NC, OH.

Intersting observation by Joe Klein (from Andrew Sullivan's blog:

I've been amazed by it for over a year now, because I have no ounce of it in myself. But then I like my political leaders temperamentally conservative, so I can be as radical as I like and no harm gets done. Obama's little secret is that he isn't that cool. He's just a nerd with natural Xanax in his blood. Joe Klein notices the same thing:

Part of Obama's steadiness is born of necessity: An angry, or flashy, black man isn't going to be elected President. But I've also gotten the sense, in the times I've interviewed and chatted with him, that calm is Obama's natural default position. He is friendly, informal, accessible...and a mystery, hard to get to know. He doesn't give away much, doesn't — unlike Bill Clinton — have that desperate need to make you like him. His brilliant, at times excessive, oratory is an outlier — the only over-the-top, Technicolor quality he has.

There has been no grand cathartic moment for him in this campaign, but rather a steady accretion of trust, a growing public sense that he knows what he's talking about and isn't going to get crazy on us. His demeanor has rendered foolish all the rumors about his alleged radicalism. This guy is the furthest thing imaginable from an extremist; McCain, by his own admission, is the bomb-thrower in this race.
:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
expectations for her are pretty low. if she ####s the bed then mccain's campaign is effectively over. if she acquits herself nicely in the debate then the campaign still has legs. it squarely puts the pressure on mccain to do something more in the upcoming debates,

Obama actually extending his lead.

RCP Average 09/26 - 10/01 -- Obama +5.7

Rasmussen Tracking 09/29 - 10/01 Obama +7

GW/Battleground Tracking 09/28 - 10/01 Obama +5

Hotline/FD Tracking 09/29 - 10/01 Obama +5

Gallup Tracking 09/28 - 09/30 Obama +4

CBS News 09/27 - 09/30 Obama +9

Associated Press/GfK 09/27 - 09/30 Obama +7

ABC News/Wash Post 09/27 - 09/29 Obama +4

Pew Research 09/27 - 09/29 1181 Obama +6

Ipsos/McClatchy 09/26 - 09/29 Obama +3

Time 09/26 - 09/29 Obama +7

And not to keep hammering on kaa (okay, in part to hammer on kaa), I'm curious about this post from a couple weeks ago:

kaa said:
Think about it. Obama took an initial surge in the polls after Hillary dropped out and endorsed Obama. Since then, he has NEVER experienced any sustained rally in the polls. Its been pretty much straight down for him except for brief blips here or there. The world tour. Picking Biden. The convention. NONE of it has mattered. He's just going down, down, down.

There's two more hammers coming up as well

1. He's going to lose the debates.

2. Polling groups are going to be switching to likely voter models.

He's toast.
Rasmussen, GW/Battleground, CBS News, Associated Press/GfK, ABC News.Wash Post, Pew Research and Time are now all using likely voter models, and they have Obama up higher as an average (Obama +6.43), than the three polls using the registered voter model (Obama +4). Do you still hold to your premise that the likely voter model is more accurate?Now, I fully expect that the polls will fluctuate over the next 30 days, and we may very well see the Autmn surge you've been talking about for the past six months. Only time will tell.

bigbottom said:
Homer J Simpson said:
Saw Bill Clinton on MSNBC speaking in Fla today. Guy absolutely knocked it out of the park for Barack. I was expecting his usual half-hearted support and was going to switch to something else, but I kept watching because there was a superhottie standing right behind him. To my surprise (and thanks to the superhottie for keeping me tuned in) he was forceful, eloquent, and convincing in his support.

Good job, Bill. :thumbup:
I've rarely seen Bill completely flummoxed by a question, but Greta really stumped him
He was stumped. But I am amaized at how well he handled it. He really, really, really worked hard to get out of it. That was like watching Wade Boggs work an 0-2 count to 3-2 and then swipe a single down the 3rd base line.

At this point I think Palin's made her bed and is basically just a sideshow (ie no matter what she does more than half the population will still think she's unqualified.)In any case, McCain's bigger problem right now is that Obama is going to be able to bank huge leads in early voting (where as much as a third of the people are expected to vote) in a bunch of swing states like CO, VA, NC, OH.
One thing I noticed during the primaries, is that Obama's ground team was extremely organized. Not sure about McCain's ground game, but Obama's team was head and shoulders above Hillary's team in that regard. It's why Obama was able to do so well in the caucuses (winning them in Texas , for example, despite losing the primary vote). I would think that the organization that helped him succeed in the caucuses would translate fairly well to early voting efforts.

Another example of how good Obama's campaign has been: LINK

Obama takes campaign to the iPhone

(CNN) — Sen. Barack Obama, who has made his virtual campaign as much of a priority as its real-world counterpart, is making a play for iPhone users.

Over the weekend, the campaign launched a volunteer-developed application that iPhoners can download. "Obama '08″, which is free through the Apple.com iTunes store, features several options aimed at supporters and undecided voters.

– The "Call Friends" tab allows users to use their electronic phonebook to call contacts, with top priority given to contacts in local and battleground states. The application tells users no personal data or contacts will be uploaded or stored — though the number of calls made will be “uploaded anonymously."

– The "Get Involved" option gives iPhoners the phone numbers to Obama campaign

headquarters around the country, depending on where the user is located; they can also find out about “Local Events.” Both functions are based on the GPS feature of the phone.

– iPhone users can "Receive Updates" through e-mail and text message alerts.

– "News" features statements put out by the Obama campaign, separated by national and local categories; "Media" features links to YouTube videos put out by the campaign; Users are able to directly watch the video, as well as e-mail it out.

– An "Issue" feature highlights all of Obama's positions, from civil rights to Iraq.

Naturally, like any good campaign tool, the Obama iPhone application comes complete with a fundraising pitch.

At the bottom of the application menu, there's a green "Donate" button. Once clicked, a disclaimer appears: "You are about to dial the Obama for America donation hotline, exiting this application. Contributions are not tax deductible for federal income tax purposes."

And for users who may feel this campaign season will never end, a particularly re-assuring feature pops up right next to the donate button: An election countdown.
Recently I've been noticing that the Obama table on UT-Austin's campus is consistently full, registering new voters (about 100 feet from where early voting will take place).

(CNN) — Sen. Barack Obama, who has made his virtual campaign as much of a priority as its real-world counterpart, is making a play for iPhone users.

Over the weekend, the campaign launched a volunteer-developed application that iPhoners can download. "Obama '08″, which is free through the Apple.com iTunes store, features several options aimed at supporters and undecided voters.

– The "Call Friends" tab allows users to use their electronic phonebook to call contacts, with top priority given to contacts in local and battleground states. The application tells users no personal data or contacts will be uploaded or stored — though the number of calls made will be “uploaded anonymously."

headquarters around the country, depending on where the user is located; they can also find out about “Local Events.” Both functions are based on the GPS feature of the phone.

– "News" features statements put out by the Obama campaign, separated by national and local categories; "Media" features links to YouTube videos put out by the campaign; Users are able to directly watch the video, as well as e-mail it out.

– An "Issue" feature highlights all of Obama's positions, from civil rights to Iraq.

Naturally, like any good campaign tool, the Obama iPhone application comes complete with a fundraising pitch.

At the bottom of the application menu, there's a green "Donate" button. Once clicked, a disclaimer appears: "You are about to dial the Obama for America donation hotline, exiting this application. Contributions are not tax deductible for federal income tax purposes."

And for users who may feel this campaign season will never end, a particularly re-assuring feature pops up right next to the donate button: An election countdown.
Recently I've been noticing that the Obama table on UT-Austin's campus is consistently full, registering new voters (about 100 feet from where early voting will take place).
Obama's not taking Texas. Might capture a few more state and national seats, but get real. Austin went for Kerry last time too. Only county that did.

McCain pulling out of Michigan

John McCain is pulling out of Michigan, according to two Republicans, a stunning move a month away from Election Day that indicates the difficulty Republicans are having in finding blue states to put in play.

McCain will go off TV in Michigan, stop dropping mail there and send most of his staff to more competitive states, including Wisconsin, Ohio and Florida. Wisconsin went for Kerry in 2004, Ohio and Florida for Bush.

McCain's campaign didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Republicans had been bullish on Michigan, hopeful that McCain's past success in the state in the 2000 primary combined with voter dissatisfaction with Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm and skepticism among blue-collar voters about Barack Obama could make it competitive.

McCain and his running mate Sarah Palin spent the night after the GOP convention at a large rally in Macomb County, just outside Detroit. The two returned later last month for another sizable event in Grand Rapids.

But recent polls there have shown Obama extending what had been a small lead, with the economic crisis damaging an already sagging GOP brand in a state whose economy is in tatters.

A McCain event planned for next week in Plymouth, Michiigan, has been canceled.
PoliticoThis is not a good thing for those who thought the blue collar vote would go for McCain.

In other news...McCain is taking his campaign to the Pony express....Users can get news of the McCain campaign fast...in 6-8 days a telegram outlining all his basic ideas will be hand delivered to your house....

It will be interesting if this endorsement pays off - a great commercial as well

Ralph Stanley Endorses Barack

I hope it works.
That's a solid ad
You know through all the BS that goes on in campaigns this is one of those moments that lets you know Obama gets it - it really is an amazing bit of campaign work. The Obama campaign may go down as one of the greatest stories in American political history.

John McCain is pulling out of Michigan, according to two Republicans, a stunning move a month away from Election Day that indicates the difficulty Republicans are having in finding blue states to put in play.

McCain will go off TV in Michigan, stop dropping mail there and send most of his staff to more competitive states, including Wisconsin, Ohio and Florida. Wisconsin went for Kerry in 2004, Ohio and Florida for Bush.

Republicans had been bullish on Michigan, hopeful that McCain's past success in the state in the 2000 primary combined with voter dissatisfaction with Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm and skepticism among blue-collar voters about Barack Obama could make it competitive.

McCain and his running mate Sarah Palin spent the night after the GOP convention at a large rally in Macomb County, just outside Detroit. The two returned later last month for another sizable event in Grand Rapids.

But recent polls there have shown Obama extending what had been a small lead, with the economic crisis damaging an already sagging GOP brand in a state whose economy is in tatters.

PoliticoThis is not a good thing for those who thought the blue collar vote would go for McCain.
McCain is running out of states. I don't think WI is going McCain, either - so that means McCain has to win virtually all of these states: CO, VA, NH, OH, FL, NC, IN, MO, NV (that would get hime to 278).

McCain is running out of states. I don't think WI is going McCain, either - so that means McCain has to win virtually all of these states: CO, VA, NH, OH, FL, NC, IN, MO, NV (that would get hime to 278).
The Wisconsin vote fraud is off the charts in favor of Obama. He's going to win here handily, so I hope McCain isn't counting on it.

The Wisconsin vote fraud is off the charts in favor of Obama. He's going to win here handily, so I hope McCain isn't counting on it.
:goodposting:Don't mess with a brotha from Chicago. :wall:

It will be interesting if this endorsement pays off - a great commercial as well

Ralph Stanley Endorses Barack

I hope it works.
That's a solid ad
You know through all the BS that goes on in campaigns this is one of those moments that lets you know Obama gets it - it really is an amazing bit of campaign work. The Obama campaign may go down as one of the greatest stories in American political history.
:unsure: His extremely steady and level-headed campaign is a reflection of him.

McCain has already run out of states. Obama will easily win CO and comfortably take VA and NV.

In West Virginia?

No seriously, this happend in west virginia?

Blacksville #2 Mine Idle After 440 Workers Stay Home

Posted Monday, September 29, 2008 ; 06:20 PM

UMWA Workers Took Memorial Day in Protest

Story by Courtney Dunn

BLACKSVILLE -- Coal production at a mine in Monongalia County came to a halt today when every union miner stayed home, as part of a political protest.

It was an idle day Monday at the Blacksville #2 Mine.

More than 440 workers who are members of the United Mine Workers of America took what's called a Memorial Day instead of going to work.

Union officials say they took the day to protest after a film crew from the National Rifle Assocation showed up at the Consol mine last week to interview union workers.

They say the crew tried to get union coal miners to speak out against Barak Obama.

The UMWA has endorsed the democratic presidential nominee.

"This was a surprise visit," explained VP Local 1702, Safety Chairman Eric Greathouse, "and a lot of the miners felt this was a direct slap in the face of the union because they were trying to coerce our people into saying things against Barck Obama."

"Consol doesn't let anybody on their property - never," said Safety Committee Member Mark Dorsey, "And for them to let the NRA come on the property and solicit our membership was totally uncalled for. We made our endorsement to our political process and we didn't bother them and they shouldn't be harassing our membership over this."

The workers will return to work at 12:01 Tuesday morning.

A spokesperson for Consol said the company is not issuing any comment on the day.

In West Virginia?

I don't get it.
West Virginia has trended red the last two cycles.
Sounds like it's finally off it's period.
I believe this has more to do with the strength of the miners union than it does any trends.
It's no longer menstruating and can now vote rationally, now that its cycles are no longer red.

In West Virginia?

I don't get it.
I believe this has more to do with the strength of the miners union than it does any trends.
It's no longer menstruating and can now vote rationally, now that its cycles are no longer red.
Are you saying women are irrational due to their menstruation cycles?

In West Virginia?

I don't get it.
Are you saying women are irrational due to their menstruation cycles?
I'm saying that women are more irrational when they're cycling red.

IT'S OVER.

Unless some enormous game changer comes to life in the next month. You can't just concede Michigan like that and expect to still pull this off.

IT'S OVER.

Intrade Closing Prices on Obama:

15-Sep-08 46.8

16-Sep-08 47.1

17-Sep-08 48.9

18-Sep-08 49.7

19-Sep-08 51.8

20-Sep-08 51.5

21-Sep-08 51.2

22-Sep-08 50.8

23-Sep-08 52.0

24-Sep-08 52.7

25-Sep-08 55.3

26-Sep-08 55.7

27-Sep-08 56.3

28-Sep-08 56.4

29-Sep-08 57.0

30-Sep-08 61.0

1-Oct-08 63.8

2-Oct-08 67.1

Intrade Closing Prices on Obama: 15-Sep-08 46.8 16-Sep-08 47.1 17-Sep-08 48.9 18-Sep-08 49.7 19-Sep-08 51.8 20-Sep-08 51.5 21-Sep-08 51.2 22-Sep-08 50.8 23-Sep-08 52.0 24-Sep-08 52.7 25-Sep-08 55.3 26-Sep-08 55.7 27-Sep-08 56.3 28-Sep-08 56.4 29-Sep-08 57.0 30-Sep-08 61.0 1-Oct-08 63.8 2-Oct-08 67.1
You think it's time to buy some McCain / sell some Obama? I can't see this running too much higher at would expect a cycle back at some point in time to the low 60's.

Intrade Closing Prices on Obama: 15-Sep-08 46.8 16-Sep-08 47.1 17-Sep-08 48.9 18-Sep-08 49.7 19-Sep-08 51.8 20-Sep-08 51.5 21-Sep-08 51.2 22-Sep-08 50.8 23-Sep-08 52.0 24-Sep-08 52.7 25-Sep-08 55.3 26-Sep-08 55.7 27-Sep-08 56.3 28-Sep-08 56.4 29-Sep-08 57.0 30-Sep-08 61.0 1-Oct-08 63.8 2-Oct-08 67.1
You think it's time to buy some McCain / sell some Obama? I can't see this running too much higher at would expect a cycle back at some point in time to the low 60's.
Well on Nov 4th, I think Obama's share will be worth 100 so this feels about right to me

Well on Nov 4th, I think Obama's share will be worth 100 so this feels about right to me
So you expect a continuous run towards 100? I would think the smart money would be playing the dips and bounces and completely out unless adequately hedged before election day.

So you expect a continuous run towards 100? I would think the smart money would be playing the dips and bounces and completely out unless adequately hedged before election day.
It just feels like the McCain campaign is imploding on all levels. Unless Palin gives this ticket a reason for a bounce tonight, I see McCain mailing in these last few weeks (similar to Bob Dole). McCain's last attempt to get a surge would likely need to be an all-out negative campaign and frankly I just don't see him doing it.

It just feels like the McCain campaign is imploding on all levels. Unless Palin gives this ticket a reason for a bounce tonight, I see McCain mailing in these last few weeks (similar to Bob Dole). McCain's last attempt to get a surge would likely need to be an all-out negative campaign and frankly I just don't see him doing it.
I disagree. That is just what his campaign staff is built for and I think McCain wants it that bad.

Voting for the bailout was probably the death blow. Was hoping one of them wouldn't give into the bribes and pork.P.S. Did you guys manage to a a tax reduction worked into the plan for the FF industry?

I'm getting the same vibe as during the primaries where an Obama victory is simply becoming inevitable. If you look at the state-by-state situation, it's becoming more and more apparent that McCain would have to start walking on water or suddenly gain the ability to do jumping jacks to turn this tide around.

I'm not saying it's time for the QB to down the ball, but it's definitely time to get the power running game going. A couple of first downs and this thing's over.

I'm getting the same vibe as during the primaries where an Obama victory is simply becoming inevitable. If you look at the state-by-state situation, it's becoming more and more apparent that McCain would have to start walking on water or suddenly gain the ability to do jumping jacks to turn this tide around.I'm not saying it's time for the QB to down the ball, but it's definitely time to get the power running game going. A couple of first downs and this thing's over.
Ralph Stanley off left tackle for five...

In West Virginia?

Blacksville #2 Mine Idle After 440 Workers Stay Home

Posted Monday, September 29, 2008 ; 06:20 PM

UMWA Workers Took Memorial Day in Protest

Story by Courtney Dunn

BLACKSVILLE -- Coal production at a mine in Monongalia County came to a halt today when every union miner stayed home, as part of a political protest.

It was an idle day Monday at the Blacksville #2 Mine.

More than 440 workers who are members of the United Mine Workers of America took what's called a Memorial Day instead of going to work.

Union officials say they took the day to protest after a film crew from the National Rifle Assocation showed up at the Consol mine last week to interview union workers.

They say the crew tried to get union coal miners to speak out against Barak Obama.

The UMWA has endorsed the democratic presidential nominee.

"This was a surprise visit," explained VP Local 1702, Safety Chairman Eric Greathouse, "and a lot of the miners felt this was a direct slap in the face of the union because they were trying to coerce our people into saying things against Barck Obama."

"Consol doesn't let anybody on their property - never," said Safety Committee Member Mark Dorsey, "And for them to let the NRA come on the property and solicit our membership was totally uncalled for. We made our endorsement to our political process and we didn't bother them and they shouldn't be harassing our membership over this."

The workers will return to work at 12:01 Tuesday morning.

A spokesperson for Consol said the company is not issuing any comment on the day.
Just another example of the class and culture wars that sprang up in the 90's under the Gingrich lead congress.Good move by the union; pathetic move by ownership and the NRA.

Users who are viewing this thread