What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (10 Viewers)

A non-book-reader just posted this about Jon Snow's fate after the finale. I thought it was pretty funny, and really not too far off. Enjoy:

This kid is a category 5 Stark, he's now betrayed the woman he loves, the old gods, and the government of his people. His brilliant machinations for self preservation couldn't even fool a band of random wildlings (not notoriously intelligent folk) and he would have died earlier if not for what was literally magic on the part of his half-brother (who is all-of-a-sudden the worgiest worg) and some incredible luck at having even been nearby in the first place (the wall is 300 miles long, they weren't coordinating their motions to bypass it, different methods and all, and they came within meters of eachother).Oh and winter is coming.

Jon Snow literally just had the 1969 Mets season of Westeros, and he's barely breathing. His continued survival becomes exponentially more improbable each episode from here-on-out.
I think Snow's story loses a ton in translation from paper to screen. In the book, we are inside his head at all times. We know how he truly loves Ygritte, and how the decision to stay or go looms over him. Even after he leaves, he's constantly thinking back to the time he and Ygritte spent in the cave, wishing he had never left. Amidst all the betrayals and death in ASoS, Jon leaving Ygritte was one of the most powerful stories in the entire book.

Agree with the earlier post on Davos. I love the casting on the show. Tywin and Davos are perfect. Sam is the one actor I really didn't like at first but he is coming in to his own now. He was great in the finale.
Walder Frey and Roose Bolton are perfect as well.
But then you have Jon Snow and his leaden acting - although in the finale, he did show some expression.

Roose Bolton is perfect, I agree. Walder Frey not so much. The guy is supposed to be in his 90s. I mean the actor playing him is funny, but as a strict interpretation of the character he is not very accurate.

Same thing for Bolton's ******* Ramsay, really. But the actor is so enjoyable that I don't mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roose Bolton is perfect, I agree. Walder Frey not so much. The guy is supposed to be in his 90s. I mean the actor playing him is funny, but as a strict interpretation of the character he is not very accurate.

Same thing for Bolton's ******* Ramsay, really. But the actor is so enjoyable that I don't mind.
Heyyy.... You're Rick James *****.

I think the only working actor in their nineties right now is Betty White.

Abe Vigoda says 'hi".

babydemon90 said:
Fiddles said:
Rick James said:
I think the fans are going to get restless with Dany's story next season.
I don't remember anything else of note happening with her except the lez scene.
she'll kick out Jorah somehow.... Might manufacture some scenes to come to that conclusion, probably will find/capture an informant who reveals he's been spying for Westeros. Somehow that will come to light, and Jorah will be gone.

Can't see that arc requiring more then two episodes though...
I'm sure we'll get a steady diet of Dany loves Chachi Daario throughout.

Ramsay is pretty damn awesome. He's got a little cherubic face that makes him look like a little harmless hobbit. He's like the evil woodland creatures from South Park. All smiley and cutesy and then cutting off your dong and waving a sausage in your face to remind you. Excellent casting and the looks of sheer enjoyment he gives when he's being especially cruel are pretty chilling.

babydemon90 said:
Fiddles said:
Rick James said:
she'll kick out Jorah somehow.... Might manufacture some scenes to come to that conclusion, probably will find/capture an informant who reveals he's been spying for Westeros. Somehow that will come to light, and Jorah will be gone.

Speaking of Daario, I really don't like the casting there. Just comes off as wooden and un-suave. Come to think of it, and I know he's eunuch and won't be ripped, but Grey Worm looks about as scary as the Crying Game.

babydemon90 said:
Fiddles said:
Rick James said:

Speaking of Daario, I really don't like the casting there. Just comes off as wooden and un-suave. Come to think of it, and I know he's eunuch and won't be ripped, but Grey Worm looks about as scary as the Crying Game.
I agree on both counts. That said, they did look good in their melee scene with Jorah.

rascal said:
what chapter/book is the rat cook in? I can't remember. And what happened?
Bran tells the story in Storm and the Manderlay feast was a Theon chapter in ADWD

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Rat_Cook

It's not very straight fwd that Manderlay fed the Boltons his people but I think that is what we were supposed to take away from this chapter.
I agree. Although I doubt the Boltons even give a rip. That's probably what they do for fun in the Dreadfort.

Just hit me that I could see this going along the lines of Marion Zimmerman Bradley's 'The Mists of Avalon' too -- where the old Gods are destroyed (in this case the Children of the Forest, Others, Weirwood Trees, The Wall, wargs, wildlings and etc) and disappear from the earth. What if the Wall was built to keep the more modern civiliation and 'Fire' types out of the North? After all, The Wall seems to be more of the old Gods and it is made of ice.
Whoa

Just hit me that I could see this going along the lines of Marion Zimmerman Bradley's 'The Mists of Avalon' too -- where the old Gods are destroyed (in this case the Children of the Forest, Others, Weirwood Trees, The Wall, wargs, wildlings and etc) and disappear from the earth. What if the Wall was built to keep the more modern civiliation and 'Fire' types out of the North? After all, The Wall seems to be more of the old Gods and it is made of ice.
WhoaBut couldn't dragons just fly over the wall?

babydemon90 said:
Fiddles said:
Rick James said:

As well as Mormont clashing with Daario in some way. I could even see them set it up somehow as Daario is the one that reveals that Jorah was spying to undermine him and secure his position. I think you could stretch that storyline out more than two episodes. Daario finds out in one episode. In the next Daario reveals it to Dany and the fall out of her ordering Jorah to sneak into Mereen on his own. Then an episode of Jorah sneaking in, them winning the city and end with him being banished. Maybe Dany's final scene of season 3 would be her deciding to stay in Mereen closing out with her and Daario getting down and doing the nasty.

ScottNorwood said:
shuke said:
WhoaBut couldn't dragons just fly over the wall?
Dragons dont = fire types, the lord of light worshipers = fire types

shuke said:
Whoa
I must have missed this originally but you may be one to something with this!

Worth mentioning that I pulled that out of you know where. Just seemed like a possibility.

btw.... if you reread the books... I've read through a couple POV characters straight through now and it's a good way to get their whole story straight in your head. It also makes the 'lesser' story lines a lot more interesting since you're taking them at face value instead of comparing them to the other stories you like better. Just went through Brienne's chapters and it's actually much better than I remembered.

Worth mentioning that I pulled that out of you know where. Just seemed like a possibility.

btw.... if you reread the books... I've read through a couple POV characters straight through now and it's a good way to get their whole story straight in your head. It also makes the 'lesser' story lines a lot more interesting since you're taking them at face value instead of comparing them to the other stories you like better. Just went through Brienne's chapters and it's actually much better than I remembered.
so like you read all her chapters in order form all the books, then choose another character and do the same?

so like you read all her chapters in order form all the books, then choose another character and do the same?
I read somewhere that some fan site was putting all of the chapters from all 5 books in chronological order. Could be an interesting read.

I read somewhere that some fan site was putting all of the chapters from all 5 books in chronological order. Could be an interesting read.
#### hey should do that when it is over and sell the books

make mucho cash on reordred text

Abe Vigoda says 'hi".
Christopher Lee still going strong at 91 with recent roles as Saruman, Count Dooku, etc.

I've thought about doing that - but I could not cut and paste from my iPad version of the books as easily as I thought. I sort of did that when I first read Dance with Dragons - but it was limited to the couple of Arya chapters.

Yep -- it's funny how much it changes the perception. Brienne's story didn't seem at all like a tangent this way. Stood up pretty well on its own.

I was debating between this or the audio in the next couple of months and I like thsi idea much better. There was a time I considered it the first time around but neglected to because I didnt want any spoilers. I wonder if it will help Dany's stories out...they were a tough read.

How has Khaleeshi's rise in soldiers/power not been spread all over Westeros yet? Tywin should be prepping for war with her by now or at least a piece offering.
the Lannisters' indifference to her is a little puzzling to me. as ruthless as they are, I would have thought they would have found a way to assassinate her by now...could have been done easy enough after Drogo died. I'm sure Tywin realizes what a threat she could be because she has a legitimate claim to the throne, and I'm sure he doesn't have any intention of giving up power. now it seems like it's too late...she's got an army, dragons, and 4 bad### warriors to counsel her.
They tried and failed to assassinate her...wasn't that when Drogo was sick? By the time they found out she made it...they probably also found out she was crossing the desert with a small band. But the time they found out about the small dragons....she's a few months away since they have no connections left alive...and they have probably never heard of someone wiping thru the 3 cities she did.Underestimated yes...so they probably wouldnt have payed a ton with their own war...and they probably thought no one could make it thru that...including anyone they sent.
Yeah Robert sent people to killer her and they failed. Maybe Tywin has people looking for her. Looking at the maps she is a long way away from Kings landing and doesn't appear to be headed towards it. The bigger her army gets the longer it will take to move it and support it. She's not a player for the throne right now.
She doesn't just have an army anymore, she has her own civilization developing around her.
Kind of makes you wonder way she would even go back. Has she ever been to Westeros? Why not just stay and rule where she is? Her army is boss she has dragons and the people love her.
It would be hilarious if she just stayed there.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

from the tv thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Mycroft from Sherlock has been cast. No word on who he is playing, but my guess is Mace Tyrell.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/07/17/game-of-thrones-sherlock/
Not that the on-screen characters perfectly match their book descriptions, but he doesn't look fat enough to play Mace Tyrell.
Mace wasn't a huge sloth or anything that I remember - being fat probably isn't necessary for the character. They didn't make Jaime shave his head, for instance - they've played around with physical characteristics...

Syrio Forel conspicuously missing?
Never actually saw him die though.
they showed the dude and the chick that got locked in that vault

we never see them die either
Right. And Xaro is still alive in the books . . . . .

They were locked in an empty vault that only has the one key and is impenetrable. I figure it was just assumed that they died. I never really assumed Syrio died.

He is? I really need to reread these books. Maybe before the next season.

They were locked in an empty vault that only has the one key and is impenetrable. I figure it was just assumed that they died. I never really assumed Syrio died.

I didn't assume they were dead on the show because he is alive in the books. He returns to her in Mereen.

I didn't assume they were dead on the show because he is alive in the books. He returns to her in Mereen.
They changed almost everything about Qarth in the show, so I didn't really think much of it.

Users who are viewing this thread