What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (3 Viewers)

Also - When Viserys talked about "waking the dragon" he was just talking about his temper.

Viserys and Daenarys are supposed to represent the de-evolution of the Targaryens from what they once were (Daenarys) and what they had become in recent genreations (Viserys).

Also - When Viserys talked about "waking the dragon" he was just talking about his temper.Viserys and Daenarys are supposed to represent the de-evolution of the Targaryens from what they once were (Daenarys) and what they had become in recent genreations (Viserys).
That's a good way to look at it. Also, somewhere in the book, it's mentioned that it was basically a coin flip whether the hereditary Targ madness would show up in any particular kid and it was always my feeling that the crazier the Targ the less "dragon" they are. But I may be way off on that.

I was wondering where Bran's wolf was as well. I thoght he was going to take out the Wildling, not Greyjoy. Is Jon Arryn's son name Robert or Robin??Dany is hot.
Robb's and Bran's wolves are both there in the book. CG wolves season 2.Both. Robert in the books and Robin in the TV show.Yes.
Unfortunately at most one more sex scene. Looking forward to Qarth though

I thought the crowning was cheesy in the book and cheesier in the show. Gold's melting point is over 1900 degrees fahrenheit. And they have it turn molten after 30 seconds in a cooking pot. Yes, that's a geeky objection considering we're talking about a book where dragons figure in the plot. I can't help it.

I thought the crowning was cheesy in the book and cheesier in the show. Gold's melting point is over 1900 degrees fahrenheit. And they have it turn molten after 30 seconds in a cooking pot. Yes, that's a geeky objection considering we're talking about a book where dragons figure in the plot. I can't help it.
i actually thought about this as well.

Fantastic episode, though I echo a lot of the nitpicking here (gold melting too fast, absent direwolf, didactic tone in throne room and Ned's discovery). Particularly love what they did with the Eyrie, since that was the one place in the books that I never managed to visualize properly.

Impressive work juggling all the stories, and hope we get back to the Night's Watch shortly.

Episode 7:

Wow. If I was reading this series I wouldn't be able to put it down. Also, nearly every week I've been left with the thought: "Welp, Ned is screwed." But they manage to keep the peace in spite of it. Though now I'm having a difficult time imagining Ned getting out of this one.

cant get ep7 to play on HBOGO, it just keeps saying "optimizing video quality". Is this an HBO issue or another Comcast problem?

I said the exact same thing to my wife (without the exact melting point) as well, you're not alone. However, I am more willing to suspend disbelief in the name of entertainment than most people.

I said the exact same thing to my wife (without the exact melting point) as well, you're not alone. However, I am more willing to suspend disbelief in the name of entertainment than most people.
Well, that and waiting 30 minutes - 1 hour for the gold to melt doesn't really make compelling TV.

:lmao: We're really complaining about the melting point of gold when a woman grabs a super hot dragon egg and isn't burned because she has some sort of super powers? And in the same world where wolf's have psychic links to each other and to people?

:lmao: We're really complaining about the melting point of gold when a woman grabs a super hot dragon egg and isn't burned because she has some sort of super powers? And in the same world where wolf's have psychic links to each other and to people?
Proof that wolves don't have psychic links to each other or GTFO

Well, that and waiting 30 minutes - 1 hour for the gold to melt doesn't really make compelling TV.
True, but they could have done something to create the illusion of the passage of time (cut-away), they didn't have to keep a camera focused on the pot for an hour. :lol:

True, but they could have done something to create the illusion of the passage of time (cut-away), they didn't have to keep a camera focused on the pot for an hour. :lol:
Cause it's time for a MONTAGE!!!!!!!!

Lets not forget that she can eat a tough, chewy, stringy, recently beating heart, with out utensils, in about 30 seconds. ;)

We're not. Scoobygang is. He has a hard time separating reality from fantasy in a show that features walking dead, dragons, and dire wolves. :shrug:

(Robert smacks Cersei)

Cersei: I'll wear this like a badge of honor.

Robert: Wear it silently, or I'll honor you again.

I loved that.

So I'm reading the books and I'm on the 4th one. They keep talking about the three heads of the dragon. Who are they talking about? Daenerys Targaryen is one head I think. Snow is probably one with me speculating that Rhaegar Targaryen is his dad? One of The Lannister twins? Cersei did get off on burning the tower and the boats. I don't know, I'm probably totally wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Evilgrin 72 said:
'SmoovySmoov said:
'Evilgrin 72 said:
'scoobygang said:
It also solidified instantly after being poured on the guy's head. Either that was costume jewelry made of plastic and some villager chimed in with the gratuitous metallic clunk sound when his head hit the (dirt) floor or I think you'll have to just let this one go.

It also solidified instantly after being poured on the guy's head. Either that was costume jewelry made of plastic and some villager chimed in with the gratuitous metallic clunk sound when his head hit the (dirt) floor or I think you'll have to just let this one go.
I'm going to assume it was just fondue. The clink was from the astonished guests dropping their fondue forks.

I'm going to assume it was just fondue. The clink was from the astonished guests dropping their fondue forks.
The original cheese head.

I just thought I'd add my two cents to the discussion in general about the books and HBO series.

To me, the books are fantastic. I read a lot of fantasy and historical fiction (Jack Whyte, Bernard Cornwell etc). But this series is by far one of my favorites, even though I thought the whole Feast For Crows situation could have been handled significantly better. The books give such intimate detail about what is going through the characters' mind and the degree of detail to the scenery is second only to the early Robert Jordan Wheel of Time books. The complex stories and plot lines are fantastic and Martin's willingness to go on killing sprees is awesome (I thought one of the hobbits should have died at the end of the Lord of the Rings for better dramatic effect).

I am enjoying the series because it is cool to see characters in my favorite book series come to life. I love the cinematology and being able to actually see things described in such detail in the books.

But in the end, I don't think there is any real comparison to the books versus the show. The books have WAY to much detail and complex stories within stories to be adequately translated to a tv show. We often see things that take hundreds of pages to be built up to in the books.

My advice to anyone who is enjoying the series but hasn't read the books is to go and read the books. Believe me, you won't be sorry. Plus, I think you will enjoy the show more having gotten the benefit of all the detail contained within the books. It will give you a more thorough understanding of exactly what it is you are seeing.

I went back and am re-reading the series in anticipation of a Dance with Dragons coming out in July. I am trying to time it so I finish a Feast for Crows right when Dragons comes out. I gotta tell you, I am picking up on so much more detail the second time around. You can't believe the things you miss until you go back and read it again having the benefit of knowing what is coming next. Very cool.

PIK I would make your post in spoiler tags...

Danerys would be one, a lot of people think Jon is the other and speculation on the third is all over the place. Some people think Tyrion might actually be the offspring of the Mad King and his mother, others think it might be anyone of Mance Rayder's son to Arya to theories that Rhaegar is still alive and is actually the Elder Brother at the monastery island area.

Danerys would be one, a lot of people think Jon is the other and speculation on the third is all over the place. Some people think Tyrion might actually be the offspring of the Mad King and his mother, others think it might be anyone of Mance Rayder's son to Arya to theories that Rhaegar is still alive and is actually the Elder Brother at the monastery island area.
GB PIK, that's one of the most contested points for the readers.
Martin also said that you don't necessarily have to be a Targaryen to be one of the dragon heads. Even if Tyrion isn't a Targaryen, there's speculation that he could be some sort of advisor to Dany. Beyond the theories above, some think that Rhaegar's infant son Aegon was switched prior to the sack of King's Landing, and still lives somewhere.Rhaegar being alive has to be the craziest theory around. What's the basis for him as the Elder Brother?

:goodposting: I read a little into the 2nd sentence and almost broke my computer trying to get off the post as fast as i could

How do you do spoiler tags?

Martin also said that you don't necessarily have to be a Targaryen to be one of the dragon heads. Even if Tyrion isn't a Targaryen, there's speculation that he could be some sort of advisor to Dany. Beyond the theories above, some think that Rhaegar's infant son Aegon was switched prior to the sack of King's Landing, and still lives somewhere.Rhaegar being alive has to be the craziest theory around. What's the basis for him as the Elder Brother?
I just read the first three books because of the HBO series started after the 60's music draft and have no clue about what anyone else thinks about any of it. I just came up with that on my own and din't realise it was already being discussed. I'm half way through book four right now and it's decent.

Similar idea to the theory/notion that the Hound is still alive and is now a the gravedigger at the monk place. It's a little out there but just speculation that since Rhaegar was killed in battle, possible his body floated down the river to the island area and that's where he stays now. Pretty sure GRRM has stated he is dead but it doesn't stop people from making crazy theories.

:goodposting: I read a little into the 2nd sentence and almost broke my computer trying to get off the post as fast as i couldIt's just my ranting with no outside influence. :shrug:

How do you do spoiler tags?[XspoilerX] and /[XspoilerX] (No X's)

GB PIK, that's one of the most contested points for the readers.Martin also said that you don't necessarily have to be a Targaryen to be one of the dragon heads. Even if Tyrion isn't a Targaryen, there's speculation that he could be some sort of advisor to Dany. Beyond the theories above, some think that Rhaegar's infant son Aegon was switched prior to the sack of King's Landing, and still lives somewhere.Rhaegar being alive has to be the craziest theory around. What's the basis for him as the Elder Brother?
Similar idea to the theory/notion that the Hound is still alive and is now a the gravedigger at the monk place. It's a little out there but just speculation that since Rhaegar was killed in battle, possible his body floated down the river to the island area and that's where he stays now. Pretty sure GRRM has stated he is dead but it doesn't stop people from making crazy theories.
That actually makes sense to me. I agree with that. :thumbup:

GB PIK, that's one of the most contested points for the readers.Martin also said that you don't necessarily have to be a Targaryen to be one of the dragon heads. Even if Tyrion isn't a Targaryen, there's speculation that he could be some sort of advisor to Dany. Beyond the theories above, some think that Rhaegar's infant son Aegon was switched prior to the sack of King's Landing, and still lives somewhere.Rhaegar being alive has to be the craziest theory around. What's the basis for him as the Elder Brother?
I always assumed that about the Hound. I never thought that gravedigger was anyone but him.

Users who are viewing this thread