What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (2 Viewers)

One way to really appraciate Gandolfini's range is to watch Get Shorty.

So different in tone than some of his later roles.

Never going to be the same watching any scene where Tony has a panic attack since it basically looked like he was having a heart attack each time they popped up.

You know, the last 5 years every time I saw this thread I was hopeful that there was some news about a movie or a prequel or whatever, even though I don't think I would want that (I loved the way it ended) and I knew it was just RN posting a YouTube video.

Anyways...guess I won't be thinking of that anymore. ?

....and Mikey Palmice. One of my favorite scenes...

"Hijack, bye Jack"
My beef with that scene still is, would Junior really go with Mikey to make that hit? Hell no. No way he would want to be seen. But it was still early in the series, and they obviously wanted to punctuate the fact that Junior approved the hit, and without interrupting the musical sequence to end the episode, so I get why they did it; it is just a bit too unrealistic. That aside, I still love the end of that episode.

Last edited by a moderator:

"Hijack, bye Jack"
The entirety of S1 is incredible, when Chase's ideas were new and fresh. I prefer S2 by a hair, mainly because of Richie, but they are both phenomenal.
Agree about season 2 being better. Yes because of Richie but also because I think Funhouse is probably the best/most important/significant episode in the shows history.

"Hijack, bye Jack"
My beef with that scene still is, would Junior really go with Mikey to make that hit? Hell no. No way he would want to be seen. But it was still early in the series, and they obviously wanted to punctuate the fact that Junior approved the hit, and without interrupting the musical sequence to end the episode, so I get why they did it; it is just a bit too unrealistic. That aside, I still love the end of that episode.
True no chance someone at Juniors level is at a hit like that. But they were the gang that couldn't shoot straight so maybe that's just a very early glimpse at their ineptness.

The one where Tony and Adriana get in the car crash was on the other day. Christopher had 2 or 3 great lines in that episode.

He calls Vito a "parade float" then he calls Tony a "cooze hound" and that "he would [F] a catcher's mitt!". :lmao:

Can't remember the 3rd.

I always get a chuckle at Ade running inside after a brief chat with Christopher, and he then turns to his wise guy lackeys and says, "She's got diarrhea." :lol:

I always get a chuckle at Ade running inside after a brief chat with Christopher, and he then turns to his wise guy lackeys and says, "She's got diarrhea." :lol:
Been re-watching the series courtesy of HBO Go over the past couple months, and watched that one last night.

I had completely forgotten about Tony walking out of the bathroom at the Crazy Horse, wiping his nose, and bumping into Meadow.

I also forgot how they set up Feech. Awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still love when Tony has that exchange with Grasso the first time the feds came to his house, and then later in the season, when the feds played him the tape of what Livia had said about him, he greets Grasso with that ##### sign thing with his hands again and smirks. Awesome.

We should have known Vito was gay when he played hoops with Ralphie and they discussed Janice.

"Not my usual type, but... her hair, it's pretty. Pre-Raphaelite, they call it. With the curls."

Eulogy from Chase:

"I was asked to talk about the work part, and so Ill talk about the show we used to do and how we used to do it. You know, everybody knows that we always ended an episode with a song. That was kind of like me and the writers letting the real geniuses do the heavy lifting: Bruce, and Mick and Keith, and Howling Wolf and a bunch of them. So if this was an episode, it would end with a song. And the song, as far as Im concerned, would be Joan Osbornes (What If God Was) One Of Us? And the set-up for this we never did this, and you never even heard this is that Tony was somehow lost in the Meadowlands. He didnt have his car, and his wallet, and his car keys. I forget how he got there there was some kind of a scrape but he had nothing in his pocket but some change. He didnt have his guys with him, he didnt have his gun. And so mob boss Tony Soprano had to be one of the working stiffs, getting in line for the bus. And the way we were going to film it, he was going to get on the bus, and the lyric that wouldve one over that wouldve been and we dont have Joan Osborne to sing it:

If God had a face

what would it look like?

And would you want to see

if seeing meant you had to believe?

And yeah, yeah, God is great.

Yeah, yeah, God is good.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

So Tony would get on the bus, and he would sit there, and the bus would pull out in this big billow of diesel smoke. And then the key lyric would come on, and it was

What if God was one of us?

Just a slob like one of us?

Just a stranger on the bus

trying to make his way home.

And that wouldve been playing over your face, Jimmy. But then and this is where it gets kind of strange now I would have to update, because of the events of the last week. And I would let the song play further, and the lyrics would be

Just trying to make his way home

Like a holy rollin stone

Back up to Heaven all alone

Nobody callin on the phone

Cept for the Pope, maybe, in Rome.

Love,

David"

Always loved this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8FXS9EzlaM

It shows that Tony could have a soft spot on occasion, especially in regards to Artie. What other guy in the world could get away with making that "shot-up pancreas" crack to him and not end up a corpse? Not many. But Tony knew that Artie was really hurting, let it go and gave him advice because he was legitimately looking out for him. Scenes like that are why Tony Soprano could be so likable.

Always loved this scene:

It shows that Tony could have a soft spot on occasion, especially in regards to Artie. What other guy in the world could get away with making that "shot-up pancreas" crack to him and not end up a corpse? Not many. But Tony knew that Artie was really hurting, let it go and gave him advice because he was legitimately looking out for him. Scenes like that are why Tony Soprano could be so likable.
Tony had a soft spot for a lot of people. I always find it puzzing when Chase speaks negatively of the audience rooting for Tony, when Tony was far from a purely evil person, and the majority of characters he opposed were worse than he was. To expect viewers to disregard everything that makes him likable and consider him a horrible person who deserves to be punished isn't at all realistic.

Chase comes off as disingenuous o me whenever he does it. Did anybody watch Tony curb stomp that guy who harrassed Meadow and think to themselves what a monster he is? He knew exactly what to do to make the audience root for Tony.

Always loved this scene:

Tony had a soft spot for a lot of people. I always find it puzzing when Chase speaks negatively of the audience rooting for Tony, when Tony was far from a purely evil person, and the majority of characters he opposed were worse than he was. To expect viewers to disregard everything that makes him likable and consider him a horrible person who deserves to be punished isn't at all realistic.

Chase comes off as disingenuous o me whenever he does it. Did anybody watch Tony curb stomp that guy who harrassed Meadow and think to themselves what a monster he is? He knew exactly what to do to make the audience root for Tony.
I've read Chase say on more than one occasion that the empathy for Tony that the viewer has is due to Gandolfini. I get the impression that he did not intend for him to be quite that likable.

I think Chase is full of it, in that regard. A lot of Sopranos fans were really hating Tony after he killed Christopher (even though most knew it was eventually coming, and that Christopher brought it on himself), and then boom, the next episode had Tony a) saving his son from killing himself, and b) avenging an inappropriate comment made towards his daughter. That episode was totally getting the fans back on Tony's side, after the previous one turned many against him, and that was all in the writing.

As an aside, I didn't realize that Uncle Pat was the mob lawyer who gave the nod to the judge in Goodfellas when Hendry's case came up.

"HOOOOOOOO..... you broke your cherry!"

I think Chase is full of it, in that regard. A lot of Sopranos fans were really hating Tony after he killed Christopher (even though most knew it was eventually coming, and that Christopher brought it on himself), and then boom, the next episode had Tony a) saving his son from killing himself, and b) avenging an inappropriate comment made towards his daughter. That episode was totally getting the fans back on Tony's side, after the previous one turned many against him, and that was all in the writing.
You think he's lying?

Users who are viewing this thread