Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tony Soprano : [over the phone]  It's a bad connection, so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed! Paulie 'Walnuts' Gual

Seeing this thread bumped reminded me, I picked up the Sopranos in the middle of season 2. I'd just moved to LA and friends I hung out with used to have viewing parties so that was my introduction. It

Could have used more Furio before they wrote him out. His first scene in America collecting at the brothel was insane. up in the club cracks me up every time.

  • 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, UncleZen said:

I just finished another re-watch and the last episode got me thinking. So let's just assume Tony is killed. Who takes over as the Boss now?

I think the whole crew gets disbanded or folded into another operation. Maybe the NY crews take over. Tony's gang was kind of small potatoes in the big picture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, shades said:

I think the whole crew gets disbanded or folded into another operation. Maybe the NY crews take over. Tony's gang was kind of small potatoes in the big picture.

Very possible.  Paulie would have been the most senor and most powerful man standing, and he was always a little fearful of NY, so I think he would have been okay with being absorbed into another crew.  He didn't want to take over Carlo's crew anyway until Tony guilted him into it, so at his age and despite his tough guy mentality, he probably would want as little tension as possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Very possible.  Paulie would have been the most senor and most powerful man standing, and he was always a little fearful of NY, so I think he would have been okay with being absorbed into another crew.  He didn't want to take over Carlo's crew anyway until Tony guilted him into it, so at his age and despite his tough guy mentality, he probably would want as little tension as possible. 

 

Yeah, Paulie is probably highest-ranking, but, also, least commanding of loyalty by the rest of the guys. I can't see the majority of them putting up with his antics and weirdness. He'd either get fragged by his own guy or eliminated by the NY bosses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, UncleZen said:

I just finished another re-watch and the last episode got me thinking. So let's just assume Tony is killed. Who takes over as the Boss now?

 

If Tony Soprano was killed in that restaurant, then it means the hit was ordered by Butchie DeConcini, the de facto head of the Lupertazzi family after Phil Leotardo was executed. A hit on a head of a NY family can't go unanswered. That's the point plotwise that makes little sense, as Tony being relatively smart about tactics, would see that in order to pull off a hit on Leotardo and survive, would need a fall guy other than himself.

Any new DiMeo family boss would need to be acceptable to NY and the Lupertazzi family.

The remaining ranking long time caporegime in NJ is Larry Barese, who would be made boss, and because he was in prison, his brother, Albert Barese, defacto capo of the largest surviving crew and the defacto largest earning crew that survived to the end, would be street boss.

Patsy Parisi's son would be marrying Meadow Soprano, so NY would see that as too close to elevate him, even though Tony had Patsy's twin brother killed. Also Patsy was a soldier in Tony's old crew under Paulie. NY would want someone without any lingering association that close to Tony or Paulie

Paulie Walnuts only had Barone Sanitation left as his money making machine. He wasn't a good earner and he wasn't respected without Tony behind him. He survived because he was loyal and served under Tony's father and Tony spent the entire show basically protecting him from himself. NY would never allow him to become boss with his temper and limitations

Silvio Dante, if he survived the hospital after the shooting, would be forced into retirement like Uncle Pat. He was seen as too loyal to Tony and NY would want no further bloodshed to trigger more violence. Silvio was not the family muscle so NY would not be threatened by him in a weakened state.

Albert Barese is the right choice for NY. He showed contempt for Tony throughout the show but stayed in the background to protect his older brother, not wanting to rock the boat. He knew Tony and the others were a mess and just stayed out of it. He wouldn't respect Paulie nor Patsy nor a weakened Silvio and wouldn't have to with the largest crew and the remaining biggest earners. He's just smart enough to know he's not smart enough to overreach with his ego and go on a power trip.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, UncleZen said:

I just finished another re-watch and the last episode got me thinking. So let's just assume Tony is killed. Who takes over as the Boss now?

I think we get a preview when Tony was in the coma and how the crew reacted.   Granted, a lot of that team has been killed but fairly certain we'll see similar outcomes and power struggles.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GordonGekko said:

 

If Tony Soprano was killed in that restaurant, then it means the hit was ordered by Butchie DeConcini, the de facto head of the Lupertazzi family after Phil Leotardo was executed. A hit on a head of a NY family can't go unanswered. That's the point plotwise that makes little sense, as Tony being relatively smart about tactics, would see that in order to pull off a hit on Leotardo and survive, would need a fall guy other than himself.

Any new DiMeo family boss would need to be acceptable to NY and the Lupertazzi family.

The remaining ranking long time caporegime in NJ is Larry Barese, who would be made boss, and because he was in prison, his brother, Albert Barese, defacto capo of the largest surviving crew and the defacto largest earning crew that survived to the end, would be street boss.

Patsy Parisi's son would be marrying Meadow Soprano, so NY would see that as too close to elevate him, even though Tony had Patsy's twin brother killed. Also Patsy was a soldier in Tony's old crew under Paulie. NY would want someone without any lingering association that close to Tony or Paulie

Paulie Walnuts only had Barone Sanitation left as his money making machine. He wasn't a good earner and he wasn't respected without Tony behind him. He survived because he was loyal and served under Tony's father and Tony spent the entire show basically protecting him from himself. NY would never allow him to become boss with his temper and limitations

Silvio Dante, if he survived the hospital after the shooting, would be forced into retirement like Uncle Pat. He was seen as too loyal to Tony and NY would want no further bloodshed to trigger more violence. Silvio was not the family muscle so NY would not be threatened by him in a weakened state.

Albert Barese is the right choice for NY. He showed contempt for Tony throughout the show but stayed in the background to protect his older brother, not wanting to rock the boat. He knew Tony and the others were a mess and just stayed out of it. He wouldn't respect Paulie nor Patsy nor a weakened Silvio and wouldn't have to with the largest crew and the remaining biggest earners. He's just smart enough to know he's not smart enough to overreach with his ego and go on a power trip.

I agree that Butchi would be the one behind the hit.... but Tony did the get the "go ahead" from Butchie.  Tony is Butchie's fall guy.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...