What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (4 Viewers)

So, thinking about the future....what is the city like right now?  I've heard that restaurants are now open.  What are the rules/expectations of visitors?

I'm looking at possibly coming out there late Summer in case you are wondering about specifics, around mid-August.
It's been so fluid, hard to say what end of summer will be like...other than stinking hot and humid.

Restaurants did just open up (and book immediately) at 25% capacity indoors, along with enclosed outdoor sidewalk dining. Pretty sure everything still has to close at 10pm. Stores are open, as are most hotels. Hotels have restrictions on things like room service- definitely check into that.

The cold crappy weather has put a hurt on outdoor stuff here the last few weeks, but in my E Village, LES neighborhood people have been going out, filling up outdoor dining and drinking. It's busy as hell when the weather was nicer...felt like more people out and about than normal because they're all forced into the sidewalks rather than indoors.

I'd think by summer things will be more normalized for restaurants. Not sure about nightlife, theater, etc...hopefully by the fall, which is a nicer time to visit, tbh.

It's been so fluid, hard to say what end of summer will be like...other than stinking hot and humid.

Restaurants did just open up (and book immediately) at 25% capacity indoors, along with enclosed outdoor sidewalk dining. Pretty sure everything still has to close at 10pm. Stores are open, as are most hotels. Hotels have restrictions on things like room service- definitely check into that.

The cold crappy weather has put a hurt on outdoor stuff here the last few weeks, but in my E Village, LES neighborhood people have been going out, filling up outdoor dining and drinking. It's busy as hell when the weather was nicer...felt like more people out and about than normal because they're all forced into the sidewalks rather than indoors.

I'd think by summer things will be more normalized for restaurants. Not sure about nightlife, theater, etc...hopefully by the fall, which is a nicer time to visit, tbh.
Thanks.

Our main draws are just seeing the various parts of the city, simple dining and museums.  Not sure if the MET and MOMA are opened back up yet, but they are a critical part of our plans.

King Cuomo changed it to 11pm

Jayrod said:
Thanks.

Our main draws are just seeing the various parts of the city, simple dining and museums.  Not sure if the MET and MOMA are opened back up yet, but they are a critical part of our plans.
And seriously...end of September into October is a great time to be here. August is the worst time (besides now). If you have flexibility in travel dates, I'd highly recommend moving it back..will gain some extra covid protection as well.

And seriously...end of September into October is a great time to be here. August is the worst time (besides now). If you have flexibility in travel dates, I'd highly recommend moving it back..will gain some extra covid protection as well.
Unfortunately, the fall is not feasible.  My wife is a teacher (start of school) and I referee college football.  There isn't a single 4-5 day stretch where we both would feel comfortable taking a trip out of town in the Fall.

Would early summer, like mid-June, be better?  I've thought about the 4th of July, but figure it would be a lot more expensive.

Unfortunately, the fall is not feasible.  My wife is a teacher (start of school) and I referee college football.  There isn't a single 4-5 day stretch where we both would feel comfortable taking a trip out of town in the Fall.

Would early summer, like mid-June, be better?  I've thought about the 4th of July, but figure it would be a lot more expensive.
Potential covid restrictions aside, much better to be in the city in mid June than August. 

While NY could use the tourism, I would not recommend to anyone I know to come here this summer. I guess it'll be cheaper and less crowded but it wont be a great NY experience.

While NY could use the tourism, I would not recommend to anyone I know to come here this summer. I guess it'll be cheaper and less crowded but it wont be a great NY experience.
Cheaper and less crowded is a GREAT NYC experience, imo. Especially if seeing theater isn't important.

Cheaper and less crowded is a GREAT NYC experience, imo. Especially if seeing theater isn't important.
Yeah, I get that.

We travel a lot, especially to cities, and I would always look to make sure there was something good happening so the city would be hopping. Not Marde Gras or Oktoberfest hopping but not dead. To each their own.

Nyc DOE chancellor Carranza just resigned.

I appreciate that he wanted to try to address the increased segregation in city schools. He seemed like a good dude with good intentions.

I don't like that his approach (and the mayor's) was to completely scrap the admissions standards/screening for high performing schools...without really providing a solution outside of making those schools standard-less. I'd like to think there's a method that doesn't involve scrapping what actually does work. And there isn't a planning place for the high performing schools to incorporate lower performing students (and I'm betting that these will be predominantly white lower performing students, which won't really fix anything).

His (and the mayor's) moves in this regard have directly affected floppinho as he waits to hear about high schools. The non-spexialized HSs he was interested in previously only took the top grade/test/attendance/portfolio kids. Now it's essentially a lottery. We'll see. We find out about private schools today...not feeling hopeful, in spite of any school being lucky to get a kid like floppinho. We just don't have the money or fame to be worthwhile as a family, regardless of his abilities.

Hopefully things will be addressed for 4th grade floppinha as she applies to middle schools next year. 4th grade is the year middles schools base admissions on. Carranza and Bill completely scrapped ALL screening for middle schools, so it remains to be seen what happens to the small group of really amazing schools, let alone specialized schools like my son's (music) or others like professional performing art school or ballet tech. Can anybody sign up for ballet tech without actually knowing how to dance? Or Special Music School without knowing how to play an instrument? Do we just throw those high performing, incredible schools away (which are all amongst the most diverse schools in the city because they have their own admission standards)?

Sigh.

Also...both Carranza and Bill sent their kids to highly screened, specialized schools. But I guess what works for them the rest of us aren't allowed to enjoy.

Good luck with the school process.  We are knee deep in it for my son who is in 5th grade.  We might send him to private school but we haven't ruled out public school yet.  Honestly, the entire system is a complete mess right now.  There needs to be some mixture of trying to be inclusive and performance and it is a hard line to draw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear you.

Ive been loving quiet, no vomit in the doorway, east village.
If I lived where you lived, I would be loving this.

Are you EV?  I thought you were in LES for some reason.  

That DMZ between Houston and Delancey.  If you are north of Houston, good for you.  🤣

If I lived where you lived, I would be loving this.

Are you EV?  I thought you were in LES for some reason.  

That DMZ between Houston and Delancey.  If you are north of Houston, good for you.  🤣
Houston and A, on houston. A foot in both hoods. LES EVil.

Houston and A, on houston. A foot in both hoods. LES EVil.
You might remember I worked at Chantelle for a bit.  

I was there for a long time, without ever being outside the club on the weekends, during prime time. I was always inside early, and out at 5 am.  I had no idea the insanity there on the weekends.  

One night I got off early, on a Friday,around midnight, and decided to wander, Ludlow, Stanton, etc.  It was brutal.  

I had a couple of young dudes, Jersey boys, that used to come in, and they were kind of wide-eyed, and in love with everything in the city, the way I was when I got here.  They came in one night, and were excited to tell me they had just got a spot around the corner, and would see me a lot.  

I saw them like two months later, and asked them how it was going, they were both like, "This is a nightmare, soon as our lease is up we are out of this neighborhood...."   :lol:  And those were kids, every place in they hood was their range.  Shows how bad it was there.  

Good luck with the school process.  We are knee deep in it for my son who is in 5th grade.  We might send him to private school but we haven't ruled out public school yet.  Honestly, the entire system is a complete mess right now.  There needs to be some mixture of trying to be inclusive and performance and it is a hard line to draw.
Not an easy fix, for sure. My kids have been in g&t since K, and the lack of diversity in that program at their school in chelsea is staggering. When we spoke to parents at our local playground as we were first going though the process, it was telling how many black and hispanic parents we spoke to knew absolutely nothing about the test or programs. They were aware of the school in the neighborhood (no gt program) and that was it. I will say that our son started K at a gt school in the LES that really nice reflected the neighborhood with a rich diversity. But they were broke and offered incredibly little program-wise for the kids. The difference between there and the place in chelsea we ended up was insane...all due to income of the parents and money given to the pta.

I'd like to see the test rethought or thrown out and use performance within a school as criteria for inclusion. I think it would allow schools to have more flexibility than a number on test taken by a four year old kid.

Do you have decent MS options prior to the screens dropping?

Not an easy fix, for sure. My kids have been in g&t since K, and the lack of diversity in that program at their school in chelsea is staggering. When we spoke to parents at our local playground as we were first going though the process, it was telling how many black and hispanic parents we spoke to knew absolutely nothing about the test or programs. They were aware of the school in the neighborhood (no gt program) and that was it. I will say that our son started K at a gt school in the LES that really nice reflected the neighborhood with a rich diversity. But they were broke and offered incredibly little program-wise for the kids. The difference between there and the place in chelsea we ended up was insane...all due to income of the parents and money given to the pta.

I'd like to see the test rethought or thrown out and use performance within a school as criteria for inclusion. I think it would allow schools to have more flexibility than a number on test taken by a four year old kid.

Do you have decent MS options prior to the screens dropping?
I am in District 15 (Park Slope, BK) which was the guinea pig for this entire thing.  There is definately a mix of really good schools (MS51 where de Blasio's kids went) and much weaker schools. Even though we are farther along on this then the rest of the city it is unclear if this has been good for middle schools as a whole or not.  It is too early to tell even though the de Blasio administration points to us as a success.  First thing that has happened is there have been a lot of kids who may have gone to public school ending up in private schools.  Also, unclear if the change has improved the weaker schools yet (e.g. Park Slope Collegiate) though the strong schools do appear to remain strong so far.  

Also, you make a great point on PTA having such a big impact on a NYC public school.  The elementary school my kids go to is one of the best in the city and has done pretty well in the pandemic but a lot of that has to do with the PTA which has funded extra subsitutite teaches as needed and even full time teachers (including full time arts and music teachers that would have been let go this year to do funding issues for NYC).  You compare that to my kids "sister" school in the district, which is in Sunset Park, and they have almost no funding from the PTA and honestly most if its funding comes from parents in our school as we regularly do fundraising drives for it (as well as helping to support basic needs in the area (food drives, etc.)).  Our school is almot 75% white and the Sunset park school is like 90% low income and has a large portion of the students as ESL with a majority of the students either Chinesse immigtants or kids of immigrants. 

I am not sure there is an easy fix to all of this but think the way they went about it seems off and they don't have any idea if it will work or not.  It isn't fun when your kids get to be test subjects like this while the people implementing the policy had their kids test into the best schools.    

Phew!

He got in to Trinity, Dalton, St Ann's and Friends. Aid packages work for us. Huge day in chez floppo. So very proud of this kid- he deserves it.

Phew!

He got in to Trinity, Dalton, St Ann's and Friends. Aid packages work for us. Huge day in chez floppo. So very proud of this kid- he deserves it.
Awesome news!  Those are all amazing schools. You should be super proud. 

We actually toured Poly Prep today and seems like our son may end up there. If you end up at Dalton or Trinity our kids may actually end up playing each other in sports as I think they are in the same league. 

Awesome news!  Those are all amazing schools. You should be super proud. 

We actually toured Poly Prep today and seems like our son may end up there. If you end up at Dalton or Trinity our kids may actually end up playing each other in sports as I think they are in the same league. 
My college teammate/away game room mate went to Poly Prep and I've know some other kids since who went there. Great school and really great for sports.

Floppinho is a music/theater kid...probably won't be doing any serious sports, although I'm still trying to get him to think about it. 

**moving sale**

Any local NY FBG's looking into home theater speakers?

I'm selling a pair of KEF Q7 tower speakers, a KEF Q9 center channel speaker and an HSU VTF-3 sub.

All in excellent condition. Not looking to ship but will drop off or you can come and demo them (in Queens)

i'm thinking of going to NYC for a long weekend.  What's the Covid situation like?  Are restaurants seating inside at all?  How about those with sidewalk seating?  

i'm thinking of going to NYC for a long weekend.  What's the Covid situation like?  Are restaurants seating inside at all?  How about those with sidewalk seating?  
Restaurants are busy, inside and out. If you come, be sure to make reservations- I saw lines out the door in my hood Wednesday night when I was getting home later. My hood feels back to it's loud, vomit in door way self the last few weeks.

Also, don't come unless you're fully vaccinated- tia.

We got our first shots today.

I highly recommend the Weill Cornell option. Extremely efficient and clean. No waiting. You can get any day and time you want , even same day. We went to the hospital on E69th St. Signed up with the Connect Portal.
We had our first mask-less indoor gathering at our place last weekend. "Gathering" = one friend came over with her kid (my son's GB). We're all fully vaccinated...felt pretty great to hug somebody and talk without the damned masks.

Restaurants are busy, inside and out. If you come, be sure to make reservations- I saw lines out the door in my hood Wednesday night when I was getting home later. My hood feels back to it's loud, vomit in door way self the last few weeks.

Also, don't come unless you're fully vaccinated- tia.
:thanks:

Oh...had meant to bump the thread anyways. The DOE announced the specialized HS placements yesterday. 30% less black and hispanic kids even took the damned thing this year- after all the hemming and hawing from the admins about agreeably messed up racial inequities. 8 black kids accepted to Stuyvesant. The DOE completely screwed the pooch by not making the testing dates clear, so the same type A parents were the only ones with the info to get their kids there. Floppinho got his top choice, Bx Science, but will be going to the private school he got into instead. Another year, another cluster.

Oh...had meant to bump the thread anyways. The DOE announced the specialized HS placements yesterday. 30% less black and hispanic kids even took the damned thing this year- after all the hemming and hawing from the admins about agreeably messed up racial inequities. 8 black kids accepted to Stuyvesant. The DOE completely screwed the pooch by not making the testing dates clear, so the same type A parents were the only ones with the info to get their kids there. Floppinho got his top choice, Bx Science, but will be going to the private school he got into instead. Another year, another cluster.
Congrats on Bronx Science, and the private school! It is quite a haul to Science from LES anyway, 4 or the D.

It really is a cluster. When I went to Science kids basically came from Queens, the city and Riverdale. So basically the Type A syndrome continues.

Congrats on Bronx Science, and the private school! It is quite a haul to Science from LES anyway, 4 or the D.

It really is a cluster. When I went to Science kids basically came from Queens, the city and Riverdale. So basically the Type A syndrome continues.
Thanks!

Yeah...over an hour each way. Stuy definitely closer by a lot, but we weren't liking what we'd be hearing out of there from friends currently enrolled. I really liked what I saw (remotely) of BX in terms of vibe, and the colleges are equal or better than Stuy.

We got really fortunate with privates- he got accepted pretty much everywhere he applied, and they met our financial aid goals...especially Dalton, his top choice regardless, where he'll go in the fall. And no, were not worried about NY Post articles or woke stuff.

Thanks!

Yeah...over an hour each way. Stuy definitely closer by a lot, but we weren't liking what we'd be hearing out of there from friends currently enrolled. I really liked what I saw (remotely) of BX in terms of vibe, and the colleges are equal or better than Stuy.

We got really fortunate with privates- he got accepted pretty much everywhere he applied, and they met our financial aid goals...especially Dalton, his top choice regardless, where he'll go in the fall. And no, were not worried about NY Post articles or woke stuff.
What an accomplishment. Heck I'm proud for just i-knowing the Dad of the kid who accomplished all that! You guys must be through the roof. He's going to have the best experience. In fact I wish I was him right about now.  :lol:

That other nonsense about the woke and the NY Post, whatever, those people are probably just jealous.  :eek:

What an accomplishment. Heck I'm proud for just i-knowing the Dad of the kid who accomplished all that! You guys must be through the roof. He's going to have the best experience. In fact I wish I was him right about now.  :lol:

That other nonsense about the woke and the NY Post, whatever, those people are probably just jealous.  :eek:
Thank you so much, gb- it means a lot.

And yes- we are goofily proud of the kid (and his mom for the help/support she gave him throughout). I kind of live-fed it in the college admissions thread the day we got the results as they rolled in. Just an amazing day, that started with a couple wait-lists from his least interested schools. that had us worried and just hoping he'd get in to one, so he could feel good about the process, even if they didn't meet our aid goals (and we didn't expect them to). It went from that, to tears and shouts of joy pdq.

Congrats!

I took that test hoping for Stuy but managed to squeak through to get into Brooklyn Tech. 

Awesome. Were you happy with the experience?

I honestly didn't even know that was an option.
I hated it. Was way too competitive. I hated taking the train to school everyday (I lived in Brooklyn). I hated all my friends being in different boroughs. I feel like I missed out on a real HS experience.

I hated it. Was way too competitive. I hated taking the train to school everyday (I lived in Brooklyn). I hated all my friends being in different boroughs. I feel like I missed out on a real HS experience.
Damn. Sorry to hear...even though that was my takeaway from what I've heard from kids there now. 

Floppinho got his top choice, Bx Science, but will be going to the private school he got into instead. Another year, another cluster.
They announced the rest of the public HS admissions today. He got into his top choice, Beacon. If Dalton hadn't made their offer so good, I'd be very tempted with either Bx or Beacon- both look like amazing schools with amazing kids.

Eta...and today he also got a callback for Juliard's pre-college program. It's been a banner year for him so far...so proud of this kid.

Last edited by a moderator:
They announced the rest of the public HS admissions today. He got into his top choice, Beacon. If Dalton hadn't made their offer so good, I'd be very tempted with either Bx or Beacon- both look like amazing schools with amazing kids.

Eta...and today he also got a callback for Juliard's pre-college program. It's been a banner year for him so far...so proud of this kid.
Found out he got in to LaGuardia too...but not for music- got in for acting. Even though he applied to both, it's so weird.

Sat with a close friend tonight in SICU who was struck by a car while riding his bike. Broken ribs, punctured lung, facial lacerations, traumatic brain injury (bleeding on the brain.) He's stable; he regained consciousness for a few moments and his eyes light up when he saw me.

They have built hundreds of miles of NYC bike lanes in the past decade. Far too often it just means placing us in the gutter with nowhere to go whilst riding next to cars zipping along at 35-45 mph, racing to beat the next light. More than two dozen cyclists are killed by cars in NYC every year. Half of the time they are in the bike lane when they are hit. No witnesses to my friend's accident (happened around 1am) but he was found in the bike lane.

Sorry. It's been a hard day. Just needed to vent.

Users who are viewing this thread