What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft Strategy Discussion (1 Viewer)

Family Matters

Footballguy
Someone asked me my survivor drafts (see teams in sig) and inquired about the lack common names drafted between these teams. I think most people have a few players they target and will try to draft them whenever they can. I've done this before as well.

I decided to take a different approach this year. After settling on projections I decided to "let the draft come to me". IOW-"take what the draft gives you". What this mean to people may vary depending on how you apply it. I wasn't sure how it would turn out for me so I just decided to trust the DD and my inputs and see what was there. The rsults are in the sig.

So what do you think? Keep in mind that these are 16 team survivor leagues. Bye weeks can be a killer in this format so planning is an important part. Bestball format allows for some different strategies as well but at the end of the day you still need to draft good players.

So do you like the way it turned out? Do you like the strategy? Can you think of anything to improve on this?

I think you should always take what the draft gives you. Yeah, you might have a few guys who you are willing to take a bit earlier than their projected ADP. But in general, you build the best teams across different leagues by trusting your player projections and letting the draft come to you.

I've always been tempted to try a "knowledge of the masses" style draft, where I focus less on my own projections and more on players who have dropped the furthest below their ADP (assuming there are no recent updates to account for the drop). The general thought process would be that the more people you get together, the more likely they'll arrive at the correct decision. I haven't had the balls to try it in a real draft yet, because I haven't yet been able to convince myself that maybe I *DON'T* know better than everyone else about everything. :mellow:

I've always been tempted to try a "knowledge of the masses" style draft, where I focus less on my own projections and more on players who have dropped the furthest below their ADP (assuming there are no recent updates to account for the drop). The general thought process would be that the more people you get together, the more likely they'll arrive at the correct decision. I haven't had the balls to try it in a real draft yet, because I haven't yet been able to convince myself that maybe I *DON'T* know better than everyone else about everything. :mellow:
I might be misinterpreting what you are saying. But, is your point that you pay less attention to ADP than your own rankings? And if that's true, how far do you carry that point? If you go overboard, then you're leaving a ton of value on the table. Maybe, I'm not understanding you. Help me, help you. :D

I've always been tempted to try a "knowledge of the masses" style draft, where I focus less on my own projections and more on players who have dropped the furthest below their ADP (assuming there are no recent updates to account for the drop). The general thought process would be that the more people you get together, the more likely they'll arrive at the correct decision. I haven't had the balls to try it in a real draft yet, because I haven't yet been able to convince myself that maybe I *DON'T* know better than everyone else about everything. :goodposting:
The counter (and best answer, IMHO) to this argument is that the majority of FF players don't finish first, so therefore following the majority is not the wisest move.

I think you should always take what the draft gives you. Yeah, you might have a few guys who you are willing to take a bit earlier than their projected ADP. But in general, you build the best teams across different leagues by trusting your player projections and letting the draft come to you.
To an extent, I agree.However, I usually do wind up with a team of players I like.That may be because I rank those I like a little higher than most, so I see them as values earlier than others would (so I am drafting values even when others may not see it that way).I like to think that I like many more players than I can draft. This is usually true of most people. They may like 6-7 QBs, 10-15 RBs, 15-20 WRs, 5-6 TEs and several K's and D's. They can't possibly draft them all.I like to figure out based on my "best 50" or so players I like (beyond say Rounds 1-3) and decide when/ where I can draft them. That usually allows me to feel like I'm in charge, the draft is coming to me, and I'm getting good players that I like.The one time last year I left a draft hating my team was an auction, and I just really didn't like my team. I fought that team all year and missed the playoffs as a result. Most of my other teams contended or were in the postseason.My :goodposting:

I generally only draft "my guys" in the first few rounds. I'm all for getting good values, but I'd rather reach for a player that I have faith in than settle on a higher-ranked player that I'm skeptical about.

To an extent, I agree.However, I usually do wind up with a team of players I like.

That may be because I rank those I like a little higher than most, so I see them as values earlier than others would (so I am drafting values even when others may not see it that way).

I like to think that I like many more players than I can draft. This is usually true of most people. They may like 6-7 QBs, 10-15 RBs, 15-20 WRs, 5-6 TEs and several K's and D's. They can't possibly draft them all.

I like to figure out based on my "best 50" or so players I like (beyond say Rounds 1-3) and decide when/ where I can draft them. That usually allows me to feel like I'm in charge, the draft is coming to me, and I'm getting good players that I like.

The one time last year I left a draft hating my team was an auction, and I just really didn't like my team. I fought that team all year and missed the playoffs as a result. Most of my other teams contended or were in the postseason.

My :mellow:
To me, this is key. If you think you are a shark, trust your gut. If you think Travis Henry is gonna be a stud in 2007, don't be afraid to take him ahead of guys ike Maroney, McGahee, Bush, etc. After all, what fun is FF if you go by other people's projections or just off some website cheatsheet? I'm not saying draft players rounds ahead of their ADP, but if you are comfortable with your homework, you'll have a fun season. At least, if your team goes down in flames, it was your team.P.S. Jamal Lewis will be a value pick in 2007

I'm a big believer in setting the trends in a draft rather than reacting to them. An example is defense. Last season, Chicago and Baltimore ruled the roost at this position. In fact there was a significant drop off after them, and it will probably be the same again this season.

The rule of thumb is to wait on defense. If you wait till round 12, you can still get a top 10 defense. But last season, the separation between the #1 and #10 defense was absolutely huge, and will be the same this year.

Go ahead and get Chicago or Baltimore in round 8, or round 7 for that matter, get the cream at that position. The person that drafts after you will probably panic when they see Baltimore leave the board and proceed to pick up Chicago. This creates a huge panic resulting in everyone else scooping up defenses to avoid being left out. Use this time to return to getting your value picks :o

In contrast, it blows being at the tail of a rush. You choose a receiver at 8.1 and 8.2 chooses Chicago, then 8.3 responds by picking up Baltimore resulting in the defense panic. By the time you get to pick again, all that's left is Minnesota :hey:

The "take what it gives you" strategy doesnt usually work for me.

I am much better off attacking the players I evaluate as "better" fantasy prospects for the season, even if I have to do it (quite) a bit earlier then the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been tempted to try a "knowledge of the masses" style draft, where I focus less on my own projections and more on players who have dropped the furthest below their ADP (assuming there are no recent updates to account for the drop). The general thought process would be that the more people you get together, the more likely they'll arrive at the correct decision. I haven't had the balls to try it in a real draft yet, because I haven't yet been able to convince myself that maybe I *DON'T* know better than everyone else about everything. :angry:
I stumbled upon this method in my most important redraft league last year by accident. I was so hungover that I took only my ADP list to our live draft. I have success in most of my leagues which are primarily dynasty leagues, but this is the league I wanted. The 10th try was the charm for me in this ultra competitive league of great friends. The "knowledge of masses" style was golden for me this day. I won the league going away.I am strongly considering a night of heavy drinking once again and being armed only with my trusty ADP sheet prior to our next draft. :ph34r:

To an extent, I agree.However, I usually do wind up with a team of players I like.That may be because I rank those I like a little higher than most, so I see them as values earlier than others would (so I am drafting values even when others may not see it that way).I like to think that I like many more players than I can draft. This is usually true of most people. They may like 6-7 QBs, 10-15 RBs, 15-20 WRs, 5-6 TEs and several K's and D's. They can't possibly draft them all.I like to figure out based on my "best 50" or so players I like (beyond say Rounds 1-3) and decide when/ where I can draft them. That usually allows me to feel like I'm in charge, the draft is coming to me, and I'm getting good players that I like.The one time last year I left a draft hating my team was an auction, and I just really didn't like my team. I fought that team all year and missed the playoffs as a result. Most of my other teams contended or were in the postseason.My :football:
I lean more towards what you're saying Jeff. I usually have a list of guys I target and when I think I can get them and draft accordingly. And it's not above me to take them a round early to make sure I get them. It really does allow you to draft who you want instead of take what's there. But the difference in these strategies is closer than most would agree if you are properly prepared. If you believe in your rankings and manage the risk accordingly then you're really saying the same thing but from a different perspective. But if you correctly anticipate where guys are getting drafted then you can accomplish a nice balance of both. It gives you the flexibility to take what's there.In PDSL2, drafting from the 11 hole, I felt fortunate to get James and Portis. Both have had top 5 years in the past and both are in position to easily finish top 10 this year. Not saying they both will but it's not a stretch that they can. From the 11 hole you're getting the LT types so you're looking for consistent players with upside. I think I found that. And in this format consistency is vital through the bye weeks and these guys are undervalued right now.

I generally only draft "my guys" in the first few rounds. I'm all for getting good values, but I'd rather reach for a player that I have faith in than settle on a higher-ranked player that I'm skeptical about.
I agree with you on this. I staryed somewhat in these drafts because for example Jordan isn't a guy I would normally target. But he's someone that can fill a starting slot in a PPR survivor format and help your team. Getting him late enough is the key to making it work. By waiting on him I was able to acquire better talent at WR in WSLII. Having Fitz and CJ is a nice compromise and one I may not of had if I forced a RB in round 1.

To an extent, I agree.However, I usually do wind up with a team of players I like.

That may be because I rank those I like a little higher than most, so I see them as values earlier than others would (so I am drafting values even when others may not see it that way).

I like to think that I like many more players than I can draft. This is usually true of most people. They may like 6-7 QBs, 10-15 RBs, 15-20 WRs, 5-6 TEs and several K's and D's. They can't possibly draft them all.

I like to figure out based on my "best 50" or so players I like (beyond say Rounds 1-3) and decide when/ where I can draft them. That usually allows me to feel like I'm in charge, the draft is coming to me, and I'm getting good players that I like.

The one time last year I left a draft hating my team was an auction, and I just really didn't like my team. I fought that team all year and missed the playoffs as a result. Most of my other teams contended or were in the postseason.

My :football:
To me, this is key. If you think you are a shark, trust your gut. If you think Travis Henry is gonna be a stud in 2007, don't be afraid to take him ahead of guys ike Maroney, McGahee, Bush, etc. After all, what fun is FF if you go by other people's projections or just off some website cheatsheet? I'm not saying draft players rounds ahead of their ADP, but if you are comfortable with your homework, you'll have a fun season. At least, if your team goes down in flames, it was your team.P.S. Jamal Lewis will be a value pick in 2007
Excellent point. Jeff made this same comment as well. I think this is the kind of strategy that seperates you from the pack. Don't be afraid to go after a guy reagrdless what others think. Waiting on the guy in the nake of value might leave you witout that guy. It only takes 1 other guy to see it your way to screw up your draft.

I'm a big believer in setting the trends in a draft rather than reacting to them. An example is defense. Last season, Chicago and Baltimore ruled the roost at this position. In fact there was a significant drop off after them, and it will probably be the same again this season.The rule of thumb is to wait on defense. If you wait till round 12, you can still get a top 10 defense. But last season, the separation between the #1 and #10 defense was absolutely huge, and will be the same this year.Go ahead and get Chicago or Baltimore in round 8, or round 7 for that matter, get the cream at that position. The person that drafts after you will probably panic when they see Baltimore leave the board and proceed to pick up Chicago. This creates a huge panic resulting in everyone else scooping up defenses to avoid being left out. Use this time to return to getting your value picks :shock: In contrast, it blows being at the tail of a rush. You choose a receiver at 8.1 and 8.2 chooses Chicago, then 8.3 responds by picking up Baltimore resulting in the defense panic. By the time you get to pick again, all that's left is Minnesota :football:
Another great example of finding a great value without blowing up your draft. I've seen the top D's like Balt/Chic go as high as round 8 in 12 team leagues. As you pointed out, Balt outscored the #10-12 D's in 1 of my leagues by 7 points per game. That's huge. Clearly it was worth taking them early. What most people will tell is that D's are very unpredictable year to year. But I think Balt and Chicago are examples of D's that always perform high. TB used to be one of those until Dungy left. NE is 1 of those. So watch the coaching changes as they may be very telling of how the power D's change from year to year.

The "take what it gives you" strategy doesnt usually work for me. I am much better off attacking the players I evaluate as "better" fantasy prospects for the season, even if I have to do it (quite) a bit earlier then the field.
Again, I agree with this as my first approach. It's worth mentioning that if these drafts were H2H leagues instead of survivor then I likely do some things different. Survivor means you build these team differently. 16 team leagues mean you do things differently. The values by round change dramatically. Also, we draft these early so there some unknowns. WSL is in Jan. We have no idea where some of these guys will end up at. We do not know bye weeks. The NFL draft changes player values as well. Add to that the fact that you have 20 rounds and no waivers or trades and you are left with alot of luck to win these. Pray for no injuries, no rookies taking away your starter, no hold outs or coaching changes that cause your guy to be out of favor for someone else. If you "survive" that then you might have a chance. :football:

I've always been tempted to try a "knowledge of the masses" style draft, where I focus less on my own projections and more on players who have dropped the furthest below their ADP (assuming there are no recent updates to account for the drop). The general thought process would be that the more people you get together, the more likely they'll arrive at the correct decision. I haven't had the balls to try it in a real draft yet, because I haven't yet been able to convince myself that maybe I *DON'T* know better than everyone else about everything. :shock:
I stumbled upon this method in my most important redraft league last year by accident. I was so hungover that I took only my ADP list to our live draft. I have success in most of my leagues which are primarily dynasty leagues, but this is the league I wanted. The 10th try was the charm for me in this ultra competitive league of great friends. The "knowledge of masses" style was golden for me this day. I won the league going away.I am strongly considering a night of heavy drinking once again and being armed only with my trusty ADP sheet prior to our next draft. :shock:
Good predraft planning can overcome alot of beer. Sounds like you were on autopilot. :football:

I've always been tempted to try a "knowledge of the masses" style draft, where I focus less on my own projections and more on players who have dropped the furthest below their ADP (assuming there are no recent updates to account for the drop). The general thought process would be that the more people you get together, the more likely they'll arrive at the correct decision. I haven't had the balls to try it in a real draft yet, because I haven't yet been able to convince myself that maybe I *DON'T* know better than everyone else about everything. :unsure:
I might be misinterpreting what you are saying. But, is your point that you pay less attention to ADP than your own rankings? And if that's true, how far do you carry that point? If you go overboard, then you're leaving a ton of value on the table. Maybe, I'm not understanding you. Help me, help you. :ph34r:
No, my standard draft procedure is pretty much like everyone else's- I rank the players, and then I wait as long as possible to grab my highest ranked players before they're snatched up. If I think Maurice Jones-Drew is going to be the #1 RB in the entire NFL, and I'm drafting at #10, I'm not taking him at #10 overall (even though he's my highest rated player) if I'm confident that he'll still be there at #15. My rankings are the most important thing with WHO I draft, but ADP is a tool I use constantly to tell me WHEN to draft them. In fact, I like to think that I've gotten very, very good at the waiting game, to the point where one of my favorite places to draft is two-three spots away from the turn, because it gives me a better first player, and 90% of the time I can tell which player I can let fall and still have waiting for me on the way back up.What I'd be interested in trying sometime is just throwing my rankings entirely out the window and ranking players strictly 100% based on ADP. If someone has an ADP of 3.06, and we're in round 5 and he's still not drafted, and he's the highest ADP player still on the board, I'd draft him regardless of what my projections say, operating under the assumption that everyone else knows something that I don't (and that's why his ADP is so high to begin with). I'd like to try a draft sometime using that principle. Obviously I'd adjust a little bit based on position and whatnot (if all of the highest-remaining players are QBs and I already have 3 QBs, obviously I'm not going to grab my fourth), and I'd adjust ADP for recent news (so if LaDanian Tomlinson died tomorrow, obviously I wouldn't draft him with my first round pick no matter WHAT his ADP was), but I'd be curious to see what a team would look like if you filled it with nothing but "free-fallers", or guys who were available well past their ADP.Again, the keyword here is "curious". This isn't an actual strategy that I'd really attempt in a super-competitive league, but I'd love to run a mock draft using this strategy, or perhaps even make a "just for fun" league with a bunch of sharks to see how this strategy fared.
I've always been tempted to try a "knowledge of the masses" style draft, where I focus less on my own projections and more on players who have dropped the furthest below their ADP (assuming there are no recent updates to account for the drop). The general thought process would be that the more people you get together, the more likely they'll arrive at the correct decision. I haven't had the balls to try it in a real draft yet, because I haven't yet been able to convince myself that maybe I *DON'T* know better than everyone else about everything. :shrug:
The counter (and best answer, IMHO) to this argument is that the majority of FF players don't finish first, so therefore following the majority is not the wisest move.
Well, the majority of FF players don't follow the "knowledge of the masses" strategy. I think the best example is the FF Message Board Consensus in the spotlights thread. While it's a consensus of the message board, there probably isn't a single person who has his board stacked quite the same way as the consensus. When you combine many disparate opinions, you wind up with an average, but not necessarily a common position.
In contrast, it blows being at the tail of a rush. You choose a receiver at 8.1 and 8.2 chooses Chicago, then 8.3 responds by picking up Baltimore resulting in the defense panic. By the time you get to pick again, all that's left is Minnesota :ph34r:
I *LOVE* being at the tail end of a big rush. If 8 people wind up reaching for a position out of panic, then that means there were 8 players who are going to fall to my next pick that shouldn't have. It only sucks being at the tail end of a rush if you follow the herd mentality and draft Minnesota in the 9th.

SSOG said:
No, my standard draft procedure is pretty much like everyone else's- I rank the players, and then I wait as long as possible to grab my highest ranked players before they're snatched up. If I think Maurice Jones-Drew is going to be the #1 RB in the entire NFL, and I'm drafting at #10, I'm not taking him at #10 overall (even though he's my highest rated player) if I'm confident that he'll still be there at #15. My rankings are the most important thing with WHO I draft, but ADP is a tool I use constantly to tell me WHEN to draft them. In fact, I like to think that I've gotten very, very good at the waiting game, to the point where one of my favorite places to draft is two-three spots away from the turn, because it gives me a better first player, and 90% of the time I can tell which player I can let fall and still have waiting for me on the way back up.What I'd be interested in trying sometime is just throwing my rankings entirely out the window and ranking players strictly 100% based on ADP. If someone has an ADP of 3.06, and we're in round 5 and he's still not drafted, and he's the highest ADP player still on the board, I'd draft him regardless of what my projections say, operating under the assumption that everyone else knows something that I don't (and that's why his ADP is so high to begin with). I'd like to try a draft sometime using that principle. Obviously I'd adjust a little bit based on position and whatnot (if all of the highest-remaining players are QBs and I already have 3 QBs, obviously I'm not going to grab my fourth), and I'd adjust ADP for recent news (so if LaDanian Tomlinson died tomorrow, obviously I wouldn't draft him with my first round pick no matter WHAT his ADP was), but I'd be curious to see what a team would look like if you filled it with nothing but "free-fallers", or guys who were available well past their ADP.
Good posting on the first paragraph... the way anyone should aprroach a draft, in my opinion...As for the second paragraph, this is a tremendous ressemblance to stock investing... there are two schools of thought: 'technicals' stating that the current stock price is always a reflection of every aspect (similar to the consensus ADP you mention) and that if the price is at that spot - is it suppose to be there - you should just look at trends and throw eveything else out the window (the approach you want to try) - the market is efficient... on the other hand, 'fundamentals' try to see the under/over-valuation of the stock as compared to current price to figure out if they should buy/sell it (the usual FF drafts where you see that this guy is RB22 accoring to his ADP, but you expect him to be RB13 and you grab him at RB19-20 to make sure you get him... the first paragraph you mention)...Sorry, not adding much... just wanted to mention the financial comparison... I'm a fundamentalist :goodposting: because I don't believe in efficient markets...

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, a lot depends on how reliable I feel the ADP data is. If it's from Antsports, I practically throw it out the window. Generally, the leagues I'm in don't have exactly the same scoring as Antsports, and having done a few Antsports mocks, I think people are screwing around there more often than not, just seeing what RB they can get with each pick even if it means taking them in the first seven rounds, or avoiding RBs for the first 8 rounds to see what they get, junk like that.

However, if I have an ADP I trust from a group of identical leagues in real drafts with strong owners (examples: No Mercy, Zealots), I'll use that data pretty heavily.

The last two years in No Mercy, I've used the data from the other leagues and my projections to come up with a decision tree based on the players I like who are available at each draft slot.

Fake example:

At 1.10, I want the best RB available.

At 2.02, I want Steve Smith or the best RB available.

At 3.10, if I got Smith, I want (in order) a top-2 QB, a top-5 WR, or best RB available.

If I have two RBs, I want either a top-2 QB, top-7 WR, top-5 QB, or best RB available.

At 4.02, if I have 3 RBs, I want Gates, a top-10 WR, a top-7 QB, Gonzalez, a top-12 WR, or best RB available.

If I have 2 RBs and 1 WR, I want a top-22 RB, top-10 WR, or best RB available.

If I have 2 RBs and 1 QB, I want a top-12 WR, Gates, or best RB available.

If I have only 1 RB, I want the best RB available.

At 5.10, if I have....

Once I have my tree ready, I go through the results from the other drafts. In each draft, I see what I would get following each path through about 7 rounds. What I tend to find is that some paths are dead ends... let's say that no matter what I do, if I don't have 2 RBs by my third pick, my team always seems to suck. I'll eliminate those branches from the tree. Or, I'll notice that one or two players are keys - if I can get Lendale White in the 5th, my draft looks great, but looking at the other drafts, I would only get him there in 3/7 of the drafts, despite his ADP being fairly high due to one draft where he was taken in the 9th. In that case, I'd have to figure out a fallback plan, or make sure I plan as if I won't get him (knowing I will take him if he does in fact fall).

In a setting where I don't trust the ADP info, though, I'm more likely to just take the guys I like, even if it's a round early.

My :lmao:
:ptts: Dont know that I agree on the Jamal Pick, but hey who knows!!

SSOG said:
In contrast, it blows being at the tail of a rush. You choose a receiver at 8.1 and 8.2 chooses Chicago, then 8.3 responds by picking up Baltimore resulting in the defense panic. By the time you get to pick again, all that's left is Minnesota :cry:
I *LOVE* being at the tail end of a big rush. If 8 people wind up reaching for a position out of panic, then that means there were 8 players who are going to fall to my next pick that shouldn't have. It only sucks being at the tail end of a rush if you follow the herd mentality and draft Minnesota in the 9th.
:mellow: I'm sure we've all seen this in various drafts - I think part of that stems from people not paying enough attention to tiers on their draft sheets. It's great to watch that unfold because usually when I make a pick, I mentally cross off players who I think won't be there when my next pick is up; a run like that suddenly makes them available next time around, or at least makes it so I can try to move up a few picks to get a player who should have been selected already.

SSOG said:
In contrast, it blows being at the tail of a rush. You choose a receiver at 8.1 and 8.2 chooses Chicago, then 8.3 responds by picking up Baltimore resulting in the defense panic. By the time you get to pick again, all that's left is Minnesota :mellow:
;) I'm sure we've all seen this in various drafts - I think part of that stems from people not paying enough attention to tiers on their draft sheets. It's great to watch that unfold because usually when I make a pick, I mentally cross off players who I think won't be there when my next pick is up; a run like that suddenly makes them available next time around, or at least makes it so I can try to move up a few picks to get a player who should have been selected already.
An underutilized strategy so I'm glad you brought this up. For leagues that allow trading of draft picks, this can an be effective way to acquire some value plays. By either moving up or down, you can find value that might not be what you like in a given round. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Finding a trading partner might make for a great way to find the value you like.

Users who are viewing this thread