What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (3 Viewers)

I liked last night's episode primarily for Roger and Peggy. This scene was particularly good:

http://i.imgur.com/xpCph5e.gifv

I really need Don's infatuation with this waitress to go somewhere. I just don't understand introducing a new character in the final seven episodes that takes up so much story.

Overall B+/A-

I liked last night's episode primarily for Roger and Peggy. This scene was particularly good:

http://i.imgur.com/xpCph5e.gifv

I really need Don's infatuation with this waitress to go somewhere. I just don't understand introducing a new character in the final seven episodes that takes up so much story.

Overall B+/A-
Don's going to find her shacked up with the Russian who escaped from the Pine Barrens.

Are the last 2 episodes going to be any longer than normal?

It seems there will be a lot of loose ends at the rate they're going.

But at this point I'm thinking all the characters disband and the rest of their lives are left as an open question.... Then come the spinoff shows.

Last edited by a moderator:

But at this point I'm thinking all the characters disband and the rest of their lives are left as an open question.... Then come the spinoff shows.
The penultimate episode will be six minutes longer than normal.

Sepinwall mentioned in a column that Weiner told him a couple episodes would be longer.

Hoping for a two-hour finale.

I actually think some of the loose ends are about as tied up as we'll get.

I don't think we see much more of Peggy - that was possibly her send-off. I'm 99% sure Cosgrove is done. Joan is likely done, I don't think we see Betty or Don's family anymore.

I suspect we get some more Pete, Roger, and Don and that's about it.

I don't think we see much more of Peggy - that was possibly her send-off. I'm 99% sure Cosgrove is done. Joan is likely done, I don't think we see Betty or Don's family anymore.

Agreed. Felt like they left Betty in a good spot now. Maybe we get one more look at Peggy, but they could leave it alone and I wouldn't complain.

really pissed if that's all we see of Sally. Really enjoyed the Don/Sally relationship throughout the show. Although, I guess her "send off" at the bus could be closure :shrug:

The penultimate episode will be six minutes longer than normal.

Sepinwall mentioned in a column that Weiner told him a couple episodes would be longer.

Hoping for a two-hour finale.
I can't imagine how long Sepinwall's summary will be for that. It will probably make "The Brothers Karamozov" look like a Bazooka Joe comic.

Agreed. Felt like they left Betty in a good spot now. Maybe we get one more look at Peggy, but they could leave it alone and I wouldn't complain.
So much for my theory of Peggy and Don teaching the world to sing in perfect harmony........

I think we've seen the last of Betty, Peggy, Pete, Ken, Harry...

Probably something left with Roger and Sally (and maybe Joan).

This past episode really seemed like Weiner was bidding farewell to the agency setting. Can't imagine anything compelling left to tell. Seems as if we're left with Pete/Ted/Harry finding their place as cogs in the McCann wheel and Peggy heading in with a new attitude. I would be shocked if any of the remaining time is devoted to anything work-related, outside of the story of Roger's transition to McCann.

I think there is a very strong possibility we see Don take back the "**** Whitman" name in the finale.

I think we've seen the last of Betty, Peggy, Pete, Ken, Harry...

Probably something left with Roger and Sally (and maybe Joan).

This past episode really seemed like Weiner was bidding farewell to the agency setting. Can't imagine anything compelling left to tell. Seems as if we're left with Pete/Ted/Harry finding their place as cogs in the McCann wheel and Peggy heading in with a new attitude. I would be shocked if any of the remaining time is devoted to anything work-related, outside of the story of Roger's transition to McCann.

I think there is a very strong possibility we see Don take back the "**** Whitman" name in the finale.
Would make sense, as he's the sole heir to the Whitman's Sampler fortune.

McGarnicle said:
Tiger Fan said:
really pissed if that's all we see of Sally. Really enjoyed the Don/Sally relationship throughout the show. Although, I guess her "send off" at the bus could be closure :shrug:
Sally was shown in the scenes from next week.
Yup. So was Betty and Pete, IIRC.

Grantland's Molly Lambert's recap (click the link to see some of the great period pics she typically includes in her piece).

Joan Holloway started out on Mad Men as a girl we’ve all known, the girl who is just one of the guys, never offended by any come-on or sexist joke. She just has a laugh. She knows that men like women who are people-pleasers, and so she’s always pleasing the men in power, aesthetically and in her temperament — until one day she has laughed at one too many jokes at her own expense, endured one too many lecherous comments, lost one too many opportunities to her lesser male peers. The realization finally sinks in: They weren’t listening to her at all, just looking.

And then, using the Dark Phoenix powers that every ginger woman possesses, she sets everything on fire with her mind. She gets radicalized. This is the fear of every dickbag: that the Joans of the world will reject the system they initially bought into, based on a false promise that they could fit in, after they’ve discovered that — surprise — they’re treated differently for arbitrary reasons.

Shirley figured this out really fast. She’d rather be her own boss selling travel insurance than an ambitious, intelligent, self-assured black woman navigating a field like advertising, which never planned for her existence and may never wish to broaden its boundaries for anyone new, no matter how talented. Now Joan has bumped up against that old glass ceiling. And since there’s no legitimate form of recourse, she might have to take vigilante justice and have her boyfriend call The Guy.

Given a choice between spending an unwanted wild weekend with Ferg and taking less than she’s worth for a buyout, Joan is stuck between two bad options. Joan may still be a sexpot, but she wants to be treated like a lady. She’s nearly 40 and a single mother in a world where the term “MILF” has yet to be coined. That she’s not married doesn’t mean she has to spread for the likes of Ferg. That’s why Dr. Faye wore a fake ring — because men were more scared of a phantom husband than they’d ever be of her. She knew that being visibly single meant rejecting the sexual advances of male coworkers, and that rejecting those advances meant being reframed as a #####. Can’t there be more options for the likes of Joan, Peggy, and Faye? How can a woman exercise her right to practice noncompliance when compliance is the core of femininity as defined by men? What if instead of always making men feel at ease, you made them feel deeply uncomfortable?

The old Sterling Cooper seems like a paradise now, in comparison to the nightmare that is McCann Erickson. The new transplants are like grade-schoolers setting out for the wilds of junior high — desperately looking for any familiar face, even a disliked one. But that’s the trick of nostalgia: to romanticize the old bad times now that they’re gone. Even the way the boys razzed Joan at home feels like a distant memory compared with the thoroughly clinical way she’s received at McCann. At least the more powerful lot in the Sterling Cooper gang (including Peggy) showed her occasional respect. Her new associates make it clear that respect is not something she’ll find in her new job.

While they give her an office, it becomes clear immediately that she is meant to be ornamental: a glorified secretary, exactly what she no longer wanted to be. Maybe she once tolerated this kind of treatment as normal, expected from men, something she had no power to change. But the times are changing. The first issue of Ms. magazine will drop in 1971 (as an insert in New York, followed by a real first issue in 1972), and in 1969, Gloria Steinem published an essay called “After Black Power, Women’s Liberation.” Joan invokes the name of Betty Friedan to Jim Hobart and complains about sexual harassment before that term will be officially coined in 1973 to cover a wide variety of coercive and inappropriate workplace behavior.

Joan’s new female office mates offer pretend friendship to try to get her accounts. They do as she once did, complaining off the clock and pasting on service smiles at work. They warn her that talking about their grievances is “not women’s lib.” They know that to really complain would be to risk being labeled a #####, or getting fired. At the end of her considerably long rope, Joan no longer cares whether Jim Hobart thinks she’s a #####, because he has left her no option but to be one. She tried being nice and explaining herself calmly, only to be told that nothing is ever going to change. Even the ever-friendly Meredith tired of being called “sweetheart” and “honey” last week. Peggy has a very good reason not to want to work from a space in the stenographer’s pool. It’s because she, too, will face an uphill battle convincing her new coworkers not to treat her like a secretary.

Don Draper had to drive across the country, because otherwise he’d have ended up proposing to Meredith with Megan’s old ring. He’s proposing out of convenience, because she does everything for him. If Don is doomed to eventually resent his wives, why not just pick a girl he already resents? He does like Meredith’s taste in furniture. What more does he even need in a partner, besides an unstoppable death drive that matches his own?

When I said the ghost of Bert Cooper would return as a vehicular spirit like My Mother the Car, I was kidding. But Don’s hallucination of Bert wasn’t even the strangest thing that happened on his spontaneous road trip. First of all, I’m not sure Don has read On the Road, either. Sure, there are parts in which Sal Paradise is traveling alone, but the book is mostly about driving across the country with friends, Don. Friends. Don doesn’t have any of those, though. Jim calls Don his “white whale,” but Don soon realizes that Jim is merely a collector. Don is not so much Moby-**** as one of many butterflies whose wings Jim has pinned to his wall.

Surrounded by a cabal of the best admen in the world, looking out the window at the majestic skyline, Don understands what has happened. Coca-Cola will never be his. He is just a cog. They tried to make Don feel special, like he was the whole reason they absorbed the firm. He almost fell for the ploy, too, just like women fall for his own cheap seductions all the time. Like a popular sixth-grader forced into the social minor leagues in seventh grade, Don does not deal well with not being somebody important, maybe because he has such a tenuous grasp on who he really is.

He also doesn’t deal well with rejection, which is why he treks all the way out to Racine for a glimpse at the man who would let an angel like Diana go. Diana’s ex-husband tells Don what the viewing audience has been saying all season: She’s not worth it. Go home, Don. Home to your immaculately clean apartment without a Megan or a Birdie or even a Meredith to rub your shoulders at night. Home to a place that holds no memories, no coziness, no semblance of a life. On second thought, keep driving.

Peggy would love working from home. Can you imagine? (The next best thing would be a legitimately cool office, an empty one where she can drunk-roller-skate around while Roger plays “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida” on the organ.) She would love the blogger uniform of ####-you flip-flops, sweatpants, and a pajama-set tank top that says, “Cats Are a Girl’s Best Friend,” to take one totally random example. Peggy keeps blogging hours. She deserves to wear blogging clothes. She has never been interested in fashion or interior decorating. She cares about other things. Don’s suits are always stylish, but he’s basically wearing a uniform. Peggy would love a uniform — something she can put on without thinking about it and just get to work. That is why, in the future, she will love Hillary Clinton–style pantsuits. Better styling might have made Peggy’s life easier in some ways by making her more attractive to the men around her, but that is bull####.

And the sad, hard truth is that the men really only took her seriously from the get-go because they weren’t immediately distracted by wanting to #### her (although many of them eventually developed slow-burn flirtations with her after getting to know her). On the flip side, Joan is always dealing with men who talk directly into her boobs. It’s a no-win situation, being desexualized like Peggy or sexualized like Joan. Peggy sometimes has to convince people to treat her like a sex object. Joan has to convince them not to. And for some men, like the new overlords at McCann, there is no convincing at all. They’re too far gone.

Roger and Peggy have a fun night that made me think of After Hours for the second time this season, as the empty Sterling Cooper space resembled nothing so much as a New York ’80s art loft in a vacated former office building driven to financial ruin by the forthcoming economic crisis of the 1970s. Peggy seemed awfully steady roller-skating for a drunk-on-vermouth person. Are we sure she wasn’t blazed? You know Stan hid or lost at least one bag of weed in the art department. Roger gives Peggy the best (and possibly the only good) advice he’s ever given anyone in his long history of doling out unrequested counsel, which is that Peggy shouldn’t fear being terrifying to men. The good ones will get it, and everyone else can go right to hell.

Maybe doing acid that year really did expand Roger’s mind, because he’s suddenly the Betty Friedan of McCann. He’s right, of course, although given how Joan’s first week went, who knows how that attitude will really go over at the new firm. But best to go down skating like Rollergirl through the halls of power, cigarette a-blazin’, clutching a dead man’s antique hentai collectible in her cool fists. Whatever happens next week when she starts work at her new corporate empire, she’ll always be able to say: She did it her way.

Will Don ever go back to work at McCann? Why should he? There’s only one way out of that towering skyscraper building, and it’s straight down toward the abyss. Don is going to drive to his route’s logical conclusion, if On the Road is any hint. The only ones for Don are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders from Mars across the stars. Maybe California is still in Don’s future. He’s currently headed due west. He’s going to drive, drive, drive across this occasionally great country of ours until he reaches the edge of the Pacific Ocean. And then he will get out of his beautiful car and walk into the sea. Cue Curtis Mayfield’s “(Don’t Worry) If There’s a Hell Below, We’re All Going to Go.” Roll credits. The end.

Will Don ever go back to work at McCann? Why should he? There’s only one way out of that towering skyscraper building, and it’s straight down toward the abyss. Don is going to drive to his route’s logical conclusion, if On the Road is any hint. The only ones for Don are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders from Mars across the stars. Maybe California is still in Don’s future. He’s currently headed due west. He’s going to drive, drive, drive across this occasionally great country of ours until he reaches the edge of the Pacific Ocean. And then he will get out of his beautiful car and walk into the sea. Cue Curtis Mayfield’s “(Don’t Worry) If There’s a Hell Below, We’re All Going to Go.” Roll credits. The end.
:lmao: Nietzsche, Kerouac, and Bowie.

Somebody minored in English and has no problem letting everybody know about it.

Yeah, Grantland has this annoying habit of hiring well-educated writers.

:internationaljerkoffmotion:

You know who else was a well-educated writer? Paul Kinsey. Look where that got him.

You know who else was a well-educated writer? Paul Kinsey. Look where that got him.
Since you love Grantland so much, here's a link to Mark Lisanti's Mad Men Power Rankings.

I think he went to college, too.

Did anybody notice that Don's door plate said "Don Draper" and was the second office from the right but then he was back in the corner office

Also, when he walked into the room I could have sworn it said "john Hamm" on the nameplate

Badass Peggy Olson
You know, after thinking about it for a day or so, I hope that's the last shot we get of Peggy. It probably won't be, but man that'd be bit chin'
And on the flip side Joan, once again a marginalized sex object to the bitter end. I hope they don't sugarcoat it and have her completely fulfilled and in love with California idiot in the finale. Great statement about how women were treated in the workplace back then, and it should stand on its own.

Since you love Grantland so much, here's a link to Mark Lisanti's Mad Men Power Rankings.

JFC not reading that f-fest

JFC not reading that f-fest
It's not for you.

Re-watched the first ep last night. Pretty great stuff. IIRC if you're going into the show cold, you don't know that Don's married and has kids until the end.

Re-watched the first ep last night. Pretty great stuff. IIRC if you're going into the show cold, you don't know that Don's married and has kids until the end.
Yeah, that was a neat little trick. It's funny to watch Hamm in the pilot. Draper is not as stoic and cold.

I also like that the photo Pete keeps on his desk of Trudy isn't of Allison Brie. She hadn't been cast yet. The broad in the photo is Matt Weiner's mom.

Ok, best scenes...

Two that come to mind:

1. Layne fights Pete and Roger says something to the effect of "I know I should stop this but I really want to see what happens!" I love Roger.

2. After Don buys the Caddy, the Draper family goes for a picnic. When it's time to leave, they dump their garbage on the ground at the park before putting the everything back in the car. That always cracked me up.

Users who are viewing this thread