What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (1 Viewer)

Are the last 2 episodes going to be any longer than normal?

It seems there will be a lot of loose ends at the rate they're going.

But at this point I'm thinking all the characters disband and the rest of their lives are left as an open question.... Then come the spinoff shows.
I actually think some of the loose ends are about as tied up as we'll get.

I don't think we see much more of Peggy - that was possibly her send-off. I'm 99% sure Cosgrove is done. Joan is likely done, I don't think we see Betty or Don's family anymore.

I suspect we get some more Pete, Roger, and Don and that's about it.
Agreed. Felt like they left Betty in a good spot now. Maybe we get one more look at Peggy, but they could leave it alone and I wouldn't complain.
So much for my theory of Peggy and Don teaching the world to sing in perfect harmony........
Ka-Boom.

Nailed it!

Class Dismissed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked it, and thought it was par for the course. He comes to a realization, and he went back to work.

I think the ending works best if we're to believe "the new you (Don)" smiling contently at the end is conjuring up the classic Coke jingle. We can imagine that he's purged himself of all his self-hatred and guilt and re-emerged a new person. So much of the series has been about Don's identity and who he is and who he thinks he should be and while much of Don's trip this episode bored me I did like his final scene meditating, smiling and possibly creating yet another identity that he can form for himself, this one (possibly) with a greater sense of purpose and direction.

Until that scene I thought the Don scenes were the weakest aspect of the episode. I thought the Peggy/Stan scene was terrific even though I don't for a second buy them being in love. But they sold it even if I thought it was completely unbelievable.

Really sucks that the final Don-Peggy scene was on the phone and their last face-to-face moment featured her going all #####y on him. So much of this show has been about their two characters that I really hoped for one final scene with them together.

Not really sure how I feel about the episode. I didn't hate it and I really liked the final scene but I think I'll need to watch it again to get a better feel for it.

So is the implication that newly at peace Don goes back to McCann and pens (arguably) the most famous ad jingle of all time?

Or was the Coke ad shown to contrast the (seemingly) purposeful happiness everybody seems to have found against the phony ongoing advertising "happiness" that Don spoke so highly of with the Lucky Strike execs in the first episode?

I'd prefer it was the latter, but I'm thinking it might be more the former.

oy vey was that bad

like cringeworthy embarrassingly bad

You know its bad when the normal fluffers are even ducking this one

Sweet Jesus why get cute at the very end? It makes no sense.

It was a conclusion but not much drama. there was more emotion watching Betty struggle up the stairs than the entire finale.

So is the implication that newly at peace Don goes back to McCann and pens (arguably) the most famous ad jingle of all time?

Or was the Coke ad shown to contrast the (seemingly) purposeful happiness everybody seems to have found against the phony ongoing advertising "happiness" that Don spoke so highly of with the Lucky Strike execs in the first episode?

Could be. The ad was produced by somebody at McCann IRL.

I'm sure Weiner threw it in there to screw with everybody.

I suppose we're left to decide for ourselves but the connection of him with the hippies at the end and the hippies singing the jingle sure make it a pretty strong conclusion. That's how I'm gonna take it unless Weiner says otherwise. Hopefully he doesn't spend years dodging the question the way Chase did with his ending of The Sopranos.

Take all the Don scenes out except maybe the phone conversations with Peggy and I love the episode.
The Peggy/Stan scenes were horrible

I thought the Sally scenes were great as were the ones with Joan and everything Roger
This guy gets it.

All of these storylines were wrapped up, why in the hell would you waste time revisiting them?

The commune angle was just egregiously cheap and unrewarding. Holy hell they couldnt have screwed the pooch any worse then they did. It was like Tropic Thunder does a season ending on a tv series.

@edsbs: I think the key takeaway is that Don Draper is a metaphor for America being capable of turning everything into profitable horse####

Could be. The ad was produced by somebody at McCann IRL.
Yes it was. I believe the guy who created it also had the same initials for his first and last name just like Don Draper.

I thought all of the other stories were done very well. I can't find any major faults with them.

I need to digest Don's a little more.
That's how I feel too. I just don't buy Peggy and Stan together as a couple but I thought they nailed the scenes for what it's worth. Then again Moss can do no wrong by me on this show.

I thought all of the other stories were done very well. I can't find any major faults with them.

" I cannot stand you when I am with you, but I miss you when I am not near you"

"I love you"

"what"

"I love you too"

::comes to the door:::

Effing yuck

I will say the Joan/cocaine scene had potential

A review of the Mad Men series finale but first I have to wait until someone opens the fridge and lets me out.

When that guy started talking during the therapy circle with like 5 minutes left in the show my wife yells out OH COME ON ALREADY :lmao:

I imagine just about everybody felt that way.

Agree. I loved everything but Don, but I am convinced he made the Coke commercial which makes me really like it.
If the whole point of that final scene wasn't that Don created the Coke jingle than it will fall way short for me. That was the redeeming aspect of his storyline tonight in my opinion.

That's how I feel too. I just don't buy Peggy and Stan together as a couple but I thought they nailed the scenes for what it's worth. Then again Moss can do no wrong by me on this show.
I always thought Stan and Peggy had a thing.
I like them much better as platonic friends.

Agree. I loved everything but Don, but I am convinced he made the Coke commercial which makes me really like it.
If the whole point of that final scene wasn't that Don created the Coke jingle than it will fall way short for me. That was the redeeming aspect of his storyline tonight in my opinion.
We will never know for sure, but what else could it be? I agree that the final episode hinges on that.

We will never know for sure, but what else could it be? I agree that the final episode hinges on that.
There's really no reason for the commercial to be in the episode unless we're being told Don was responsible for it. And when you consider how similar the images of him with the hippies morphing into the hippies singing the song I don't know how else it can be interpreted.

They were just trolling, much like the loose window scene, the charles manson comment etc. Just a great big troll for the internet.

ok - who was the one that nailed the "at peace Don" doing the Coke commercial???
Come on, I know a person or two was pushing this idea here - claim your victory.

No way am I manually searching through 130+ pages (tried the search ...ugh)
I don't know who said it here but that's been one of the most popular Internet theories for months now. Looks like someone got one of them right.

I did like the Manson reference, though. Nice dig by Weiner there.

It's the only conclusion that makes sense.

They were just trolling, much like the loose window scene, the charles manson comment etc. Just a great big troll for the internet.
I can see a line or a scene like that but not the ending to the entire series. I don't buy that.

They foreshadowed Coke throughout the season so much so that I looked up what was arguably the most iconic commercial of all time several weeks ago to see if it fit the time line.

Sheeesh Jim Hobart slowly sounded it out for everybody early on....CO-CA-COL-A'

Why the hell do you think Joan was doing......Coke?'

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting to think that the biggest problem I have with the final scene was it looked silly. I'm warming to the basic idea of the scene but seeing Draper sitting there like a goon was queer. I would have gone with him grooving on the ocean or sunset or a freaking butterfly and then the peaceful smile.

Users who are viewing this thread