What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (4 Viewers)

I had to lookup what Faye's role was at the agency. She kind of showed up suddenly with no backstory this year. Didn't realize she is a psychologist and that her specialty is market research. I couldn't really figure out what she did, not sure if everyone else knew this.
She conducts the focus groups and interprets/relays what the subjects are saying to SCDP. An intermediary of sorts.

McJose said:
badmojo1006 said:
McJose said:
Sally was watching The Man from U.N.C.L.E I think.

Anybody figure out who Dr. Lyle Evans is?
I think they pulled a name out of their a**es. this is the main person on google with Lyle Evans
I don't think so. The show is too smart for that. Unless they're just playing a joke on us.
Even SEPINWALL doesn't know! ... :loco:
:eek:
I keep thinking that Dr. Evans has something to do with smoking/cancer research or whatever.

If most of you can put your dislike of Sepinwall aside, he's got a really great podcast this week with his normal co-host Dan Fienberg and their guest Mike Schur, who is the creator of "Parks and Recreation," and has written for SNL and The Office.

They discuss The Sopranos and The Wire and opine about which show is better.

I'll post this in both of those threads as well.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/the-fien-print...dcast-no-31?m=p

"Wire"/"Sopranos" talk with special guest Mike Schur -- 00:00 - 50:50

"Mad Men" discussion -- 52:30 - 1:07:20

I think Sepinwall's attention to detail is awesome. I scoff at the guy who said we had to read him to follow the show or come up with our own theories as to motivations/plot etc. I bookmarked his site, it's good stuff.

Abraham said:
jdoggydogg said:
Hellfire Snail said:
Betty has become deplorable. The bickering between Betty and Don intensifying. I'm a little surprised Don hasn't shown more affection towards the kids.
At this point, I think they are laying it on a bit thick with how awful she is. I think her character could be a bit more three dimensional.
I think it helps the show a ton. At his heart, Don is really a SOB. And his scenes with Betty frame him as the "normal guy dealing with a crazy, controlling ex-wife." When he told the sitter, "do you know what kind of #### storm I'm going to be in with her mother...?" I thought it was a shocking glimpse of his personality; at work, NOTHING gets under his skin. He's in complete control of everyone and everything in the building. But when he is faced with the thought of dealing with his ex-wife under anything less then cheery circumstances, he flips out.
I'm just saying that Betty's character could use a bit humanity at times.
I see that angle. I just think that all of this is buildup to the fact that she is COMPLETELY ruined as a personj because of her marriage to Don. She doesn't trust anyone, her perspective is that there is always something wrong with everything, and the best way to deal with those things is in the most severe way possible. She slapped the kid, she yelled at Don, she called a therapist even though she knew that "little girls do this...just not in public". She seems completely incapable of dealing with anyone or anything except her husband without losing her temper or seeking out someone else to handle it for her. I think she's headed to the sanitarium, myself.
I think she still knows/wants to go to therapist herself (I think it says something that she opened up more to a child therapist in 2 minutes than she ever did with her grown up therapist and found it really interesting that he therapist basically wanted to see her again). I also found it especially pathetic that she let the housekeeper take Sally to her first session instead of taking her herself especially after her outburst to Don. I have a feeling she didn't want to face the therapist herself again.

Hellfire Snail said:
So how long before Don bangs Faye? Couple more episodes?

Kind of funny watching the gang pull some shenanigans.

Betty has become deplorable. The bickering between Betty and Don intensifying. I'm a little surprised Don hasn't shown more affection towards the kids.

Pete vs. Roger could become a fun storyline.
I'm becoming a fan of Pete, a character I used to loathe. Love seeing him man up and close deals. The whole having a kid thing seems to really have lit a fire under his ###. He's been right on a lot of products thus far.
was just going to post this

Masked Vigilante said:
I really hope they don't do the impending Grandpa Gene molested Sally storyline.
I don't see it. I don't see where it's even been implied as a possibility. My guess is that Sally in therapy will be used to further explore Don and Betty's separation and their relationship with the kids, possibly getting into Betty's relationship with her father.

Don and Tiger Woods share a lot of similar qualities. They both built up these teflon supermen characters that they use to intimidate those in their presence.I think Don knows he cannot let his guard down, look at what has happened to Tiger now that everyone knows his deal. The guy is a puddle of himself, mentally screwed right now and that initimidation factor that he had for so long is gone.So if Don shows a human side and admits his faults, I think a similar detreoriation, at least at the Agency, would occur.
these are two excellent back-to-back postsnice analogy

:angry:

What a bizarre episode. Alternated between awkward, giddy, hilarious and dark with flashbacks and wildly out-of-character moments.

Betty: "What are you doing!"

Don: :thumbdown: "...who is this?"

:rant:

Last edited by a moderator:
I turned away for a second and I see Don selling Roger a fur coat. I thought they were doing some kind of role playing
You could see right away it was a flashback. They gave each character more hair, went to a soft focus, and told Jon Hamm to plaster a big, stupid, wide-eyed grin on his face.

Wow, Don got so blackout drunk he forgot his fake name.
He forgot a full day. Went to bed with one woman, woke up with another.
The way that scene was shot was surrealistic. Second episode this season where day to night or night to day was fast-forwarded. This time twice in the same sequence. Don is sacrificing more and more control over what happens to him. That meeting with the Life people was painful. I can't recall Don acting so goofy. He was obviously drunk but to see him that way in a business setting was odd.

This episode was interesting on many levels. I love the parrell stories between the new hire and Don. Both young and eager to get in the business. Don pitches his bad ads to Roger and Danny pitches his bad ads to Don. Both get hired under unusual circumstances and not for their body of work necessarily. Don is revered while Danny is laughed at. Took some of the shine off of Don's work and how he got to where he is. While past episodes have shown the viewer that Don's personal life is out of control and that he is not a moral individual, he was always still great at his work. I think this episode altered the viewer's (and Peggy's) opinion of Don's ability to produce on the job. First time I remember seeing Don look desperate in the boardroom.

So did Roger ever actually say "Welcome aboard" to Don or was that Don's plan all along. Get him drunk and he won't remember if he said it or not.

I wonder where this is going with Draper's drinking. His life is just completely out of control.

Best episode in what I think is (so far) the best season. I love the backstories this show does, in particular.

Sepinwall's blog worth reading today just for this:

"'the pain from an old wound'...a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone...it takes us to a place where we ache to go again...to a place where we know we were loved"

Hard for me to remember a better TV moment than that.

Elbow Truck Driver said:
jamny said:
So did Roger ever actually say "Welcome aboard" to Don or was that Don's plan all along. Get him drunk and he won't remember if he said it or not.
My understanding was that Roger never actually offered him the job, Don just said he did.
Yep. I think :hophead: knew he could use Roger's :wall: to his advantage

Users who are viewing this thread