What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Harrington proves Atlanta has good WR's & passing game. (1 Viewer)

The guy won't win a lot of games, but as a fantasy QB, a lot of you guys are underestimating his potential to post a lot of points.

With the speed around him, the passing scheme and playing behind often, he's gonna be a point producer regardless of his talent or leadership.

Take him at the bottom of the draft as your #2 or 3 QB next to the kickers, I think he's well worth it. (12-14 teams, 15+ rds.)

I realize this is just 1 game but after watching some of the game and reviewing the Atlanta passing stats in the preseason, it seems clear that Atlanta does have some good WR's. It also seems clear that Atlanta has an effective passing game unlike when Vick was the QB. Harrington won't be able to do much running but that's what they have RB's for. His stats from the Cinn game totally blow away Vick's usual numbers:Harrington 13/21=164/2 Comp=61.9% an YPA of 7.80. Vick was never close to these numbers.Jennings 5-67-1Jenkins 4-45White 4-43Many would like to argue that the reasons Vick was not successful was due to coaching and bad WR's. I think you'll see more of this type performance now that Harrington is the QB and the Vick excuses can be put to bed. In fact I won't be surprised if Harrington is around QB15 for the year. And he can be had late in most drafts. He's even going undrafted in some leagues. He's a steal right now and will make a great QB3 for your team.Granted Vick was a better fantasy QB based on his rushing, but as far as winning football games I think it's very possible Harrington will be more effective. As far as passing the ball, no question Atlanta will be more balanced going forward.
Yeah I'm somewhat curious about the falcons. The whole damn team basically went untouched in my ffl draft last week due to the vick debacle. Harrington, Horn, Crumpler, are all available.Harrington was never a bad QB with what he had to work with and through in Detroit. Let's be real, if 4 years ago I woke up one day and God said I could be an NFL QB, but I'd be with the Lions.... I'd have to say no thanks bro, I'll keep my job at Burger King.I watched thier last preseason game, and yeah it's preseason, but agreed, Vick couldn't and didn't do the numbers Harrington did.I'm still a leary, but I'm seriously considering to pick up some WR and maybe Harrington as I watch a little more.

I realize this is just 1 game but after watching some of the game and reviewing the Atlanta passing stats in the preseason, it seems clear that Atlanta does have some good WR's. It also seems clear that Atlanta has an effective passing game unlike when Vick was the QB. Harrington won't be able to do much running but that's what they have RB's for. His stats from the Cinn game totally blow away Vick's usual numbers:Harrington 13/21=164/2 Comp=61.9% an YPA of 7.80. Vick was never close to these numbers.Jennings 5-67-1Jenkins 4-45White 4-43Many would like to argue that the reasons Vick was not successful was due to coaching and bad WR's. I think you'll see more of this type performance now that Harrington is the QB and the Vick excuses can be put to bed. In fact I won't be surprised if Harrington is around QB15 for the year. And he can be had late in most drafts. He's even going undrafted in some leagues. He's a steal right now and will make a great QB3 for your team.Granted Vick was a better fantasy QB based on his rushing, but as far as winning football games I think it's very possible Harrington will be more effective. As far as passing the ball, no question Atlanta will be more balanced going forward.
:rant:

Harrington proves Atlanta has good WR's & passing game., He's a much better passer and Atalanta will be more balanced.I realize this is just 1 game but after watching some of the game and reviewing the Atlanta passing stats in the preseason, it seems clear that Atlanta does have some good WR's. It also seems clear that Atlanta has an effective passing game unlike when Vick was the QB.
I'll take Premature Ejaculations for $200 Alex.

Let's see 8 games and then evaluate. Clearly this wasn't a good game for any Falcon. I didn't get to see it but you have wonder what the O-line was doing. No able to run or pass today? Of course the Minn D may of had something to do with that.

To be fiar, whatever the O-line was doing today, they would have been doing if Vick was the QB. And there was balance today, they got 0 TDs' rushing and 0 TD's passing.

I understand what you mean about evaluating after 8 games. But your initial post declared after 1 exhibition game that the Falcons were better without Vick. So it's also quite fair to point out after 1 regular season game that, no, they look worse without Vick.

To be fiar, whatever the O-line was doing today, they would have been doing if Vick was the QB. And there was balance today, they got 0 TDs' rushing and 0 TD's passing. I understand what you mean about evaluating after 8 games. But your initial post declared after 1 exhibition game that the Falcons were better without Vick. So it's also quite fair to point out after 1 regular season game that, no, they look worse without Vick.
:own3d:

After 2 games his numbers are as follows:

35-52-399-0-2. 67.3 comp % and a 7.67 YPA.

So while his passing stats are better in some ways (yards, comp % and YPA) he has no TD's and no wins. Last year Vick had 369 yards with 3 TD's and 1 INT in the 3 games in Sept and won 2 of them. I think it's worth noting that playing your first 2 games on the road against the Vikings and Jax D is a tall order especially for a new QB in a new system and not having a full camp to train with. It doesn't get a lot easier with Car and Hou (their D's have played well so far) but it's at home and the passing game is beginning to click somewhat.

I would not be surprised to see some TD passes in the next couple of weeks to go along with these improved efficiency numbers. By the time they've played 8 games it should be more interesting to look at these numbers. Interesting that White is starting to look like a WR. And yes I do realize he's dropped a pass or two.

After 2 games his numbers are as follows:35-52-399-0-2. 67.3 comp % and a 7.67 YPA.So while his passing stats are better in some ways (yards, comp % and YPA) he has no TD's and no wins. Last year Vick had 369 yards with 3 TD's and 1 INT in the 3 games in Sept and won 2 of them. I think it's worth noting that playing your first 2 games on the road against the Vikings and Jax D is a tall order especially for a new QB in a new system and not having a full camp to train with. It doesn't get a lot easier with Car and Hou (their D's have played well so far) but it's at home and the passing game is beginning to click somewhat. I would not be surprised to see some TD passes in the next couple of weeks to go along with these improved efficiency numbers. By the time they've played 8 games it should be more interesting to look at these numbers. Interesting that White is starting to look like a WR. And yes I do realize he's dropped a pass or two.
Actually Harrington looked pretty good today..why so few attempts?

Week3 stats:

Harrington: 31-44=361-2, 70.4% and a 8.20 YPA.

YTD: 66-96=760-2-2, 68.7% and a 7.91 YPA.

How many weeks do we need to keep proving this point? I think it's very obvious.

Oh and let's not forget about the WR's. White and Jenkins are proving themselves as well.

To be fiar, whatever the O-line was doing today, they would have been doing if Vick was the QB. And there was balance today, they got 0 TDs' rushing and 0 TD's passing. I understand what you mean about evaluating after 8 games. But your initial post declared after 1 exhibition game that the Falcons were better without Vick. So it's also quite fair to point out after 1 regular season game that, no, they look worse without Vick.
:jawdrop:
Let me clarify because I think I see what he's saying now. Maybe the point of balance hasn't been proven yet. But what I said then and now is that Harrington is a better passer and their WR's are good. Clearly the WR's are not the problem as many Vick apologists like to suggest. Because of this they will be more balanced.Now if Harrington could run like Vick......

Last edited by a moderator:
The wide receivers are better this year than they were last year. Last year's number 1 is now the number 3 on the depth chart.

Roddy White in particular has improved significantly now that he's a full time starter.

The wide receivers are better this year than they were last year. Last year's number 1 is now the number 3 on the depth chart.Roddy White in particular has improved significantly now that he's a full time starter.
White and Jenkins are still their main WR's aren't they? They added Horn to bolster the group but he's had little impact productivity wise. I'm sure he's added value in the locker room and on the side lines however and that's worth it's weight in gold with young WR's.As for Horn, is he playing every down? How much PT is Jenkins getting?

Let me clarify because I think I see what he's saying now. Maybe the point of balance hasn't been proven yet. But what I said then and now is that Harrington is a better passer and their WR's are good. Clearly the WR's are not the problem as many Vick apologists like to suggest. Because of this they will be more balanced.

Now if Harrington could run like Vick......
My main point was that you were jumping to a conclusion you wanted to reach after only one game, when one game didn't support it. As you said later, 8 games should give some sort of indication. A whole year will be even more convincing in one direction or another.The passing game appears to be improved with Harrington as opposed to Vick. Harrington's QB rating is higher. Yet the running game has dropped off badly. Time of possession for the Falcons is slightly down. And they haven't won a game yet. Measuring whether a QB is better for a team has to take all of those into account, I think.

Here are Falcon stats for the first 3 games of 2007: Link

And here are Falcon stats for all games of 2006: Link (I don't know how to get it to show just 3 games of 2006)

I don't think the word "apologist" has anything to do with a discussion like this, really. If I mentioned "Harrington apologists" I wouldn't be adding anything of value to the discussion. It's going to take a year to see how all this works out, and Leftwich may interfere with making a point about Harrington at some point. But it's still a good football discussion to be having.

The wide receivers are better this year than they were last year. Last year's number 1 is now the number 3 on the depth chart.Roddy White in particular has improved significantly now that he's a full time starter.
White and Jenkins are still their main WR's aren't they? They added Horn to bolster the group but he's had little impact productivity wise. I'm sure he's added value in the locker room and on the side lines however and that's worth it's weight in gold with young WR's.As for Horn, is he playing every down? How much PT is Jenkins getting?
White is the number 1 guy, but the team is using a lot more 3 and 4 wide sets, as well as shotgun formation, so jenkins gets on the field for a lot of snaps. Crumpler appears to be a favourite target again, though he rests from time to time due to his knee injury. The group overall just looks sharper and better coached, with new OC Hue Jackson coming over from the Bengals.The philosophy is very much based around the pass due to the influence of Petrino.

White is the number 1 guy, but the team is using a lot more 3 and 4 wide sets, as well as shotgun formation, so jenkins gets on the field for a lot of snaps. Crumpler appears to be a favourite target again, though he rests from time to time due to his knee injury. The group overall just looks sharper and better coached, with new OC Hue Jackson coming over from the Bengals.The philosophy is very much based around the pass due to the influence of Petrino.
Thanks for the update. Not surprised that the coaching change is having a positive impact on the passing game. Harrington seems to be adjusting and responding to the coaches.

Thanks for the update. Not surprised that the coaching change is having a positive impact on the passing game.
Personally, I think the new coaching staff would have had a positive impact on the passing game whether it was Vick or Harrington starting - it has more to do with the previous coaching staff and its inability to use its talent properly than with Harrington vs. Vick IMO.

Just Win Baby said:
Family Matters said:
Thanks for the update. Not surprised that the coaching change is having a positive impact on the passing game.
Personally, I think the new coaching staff would have had a positive impact on the passing game whether it was Vick or Harrington starting - it has more to do with the previous coaching staff and its inability to use its talent properly than with Harrington vs. Vick IMO.
You can't seriously still think that Vick would be successful throwing the ball. After several years of proving he couldn't/wouldn't despite several coaching changes to help him and you still think he can throw? Eventually you have to see it for what it is.

So in the first half agaisnt Hou he's already 10-13-122 with 2 TD passes to Jenkins. Jenkins is 5-57-2.

I think Harrington has proved the point. As bad as everyone thought he was, he is still a much better passer than Vick.

Also, the WR's have proved the other point. They are good WR's. White and Jenkins are having solid seasons with a real passing QB throwing them the ball.

White and Jenkins are actually playing a lot better individually as well. Their numbers are also helped by the fact that the team is throwing more and running an actual pro offense.

I must admit, I am shocked by the improved play of Harrington. Until this year, he was an inaccurate passer with a career completion percentage of around 55% with a league low 5.8 YPA. His numbers in Miami were actually worse than Detroit.

But in Atlanta, his completion percentage has jumpted to an astounding 68.8% and his YPA is nearly 8.0. These are huge improvements. He may just have turned the corner here and is on his way to becoming a decent NFL QB.

You can't seriously still think that Vick would be successful throwing the ball. After several years of proving he couldn't/wouldn't despite several coaching changes to help him and you still think he can throw? Eventually you have to see it for what it is.
Just out of curiosity, can you list the "several coaching changes to help him"? By the way, don't cite Mora, since Mora and his staff changed the offense to one that was a worse fit for Vick's talent.

White and Jenkins are actually playing a lot better individually as well. Their numbers are also helped by the fact that the team is throwing more and running an actual pro offense.
Exactly. IMO it's hard to say for sure whether the change to Petrino would have yielded similar improvement with Vick as it has with Harrington. I guess I'd say it is most likely Vick would not be performing this well, but it's not a given. I also don't think Harrington will continue this level of play all season, though.

Just out of curiosity, can you list the "several coaching changes to help him"? By the way, don't cite Mora, since Mora and his staff changed the offense to one that was a worse fit for Vick's talent.
None of those coaches are equivalent to the new OC. Those coaches were running type coaches anyways. Just Win Baby is on point with this. The coaching staff is the MAJOR reason for the passing games improvement. I was very anxious to see Vick play with the new OC. The WRs are benefiting from better coaching.

Its too bad we could see Vick develop his passing with the HUE JACKSON former Cincy WR coach. ATLANTA FALCONS WEBSITE BIO

Coaches can make a huge difference with the same personnel:

Ask the Raiders, Chargers, and now Atlanta.

The price of Atlanta wrs and Joey is moving on up....Get in now. Especially Dynasty owners looking for cheap wrs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Week4 stats:Harrington: 23-29=223-2, 79.3% and a 7.68 YPA. YTD: 89-125=985-4-2, 71.2% and a 7.88 YPA.Time to admit what's very obvious. Harrington is a better passer than Vick. His passer rating is well over 90 as well. Vick never put up numbers like this passing the ball.Oh and let's not forget about the WR's. White and Jenkins are proving themselves as well. Claerly, Vick was the problem. Not the WR's.

greyone said:
Just Win Baby said:
None of those coaches are equivalent to the new OC. Those coaches were running type coaches anyways. Just Win Baby is on point with this. The coaching staff is the MAJOR reason for the passing games improvement. I was very anxious to see Vick play with the new OC. The WRs are benefiting from better coaching.

Its too bad we could see Vick develop his passing with the HUE JACKSON former Cincy WR coach. ATLANTA FALCONS WEBSITE BIO

The price of Atlanta wrs and Joey is moving on up....Get in now. Especially Dynasty owners looking for cheap wrs.
JWB has been suggesting that Vick would be doing as well as Harrington. I don't think so. Vick had 6 years and we all know he wasn't a passer. His career comp % of 53.8 and passer rating of 75.7 has proven that. He never improved under any of the coaches or coordinators he had and to suggest that now is refusing to ackowledge the obvious IMO. Vick is a great runner, horrible passer. Therefore, a bad NFL QB. The evidence is overwhelming at this point.

greyone said:
Just Win Baby said:

JWB has been suggesting that Vick would be doing as well as Harrington. I don't think so. Vick had 6 years and we all know he wasn't a passer. His career comp % of 53.8 and passer rating of 75.7 has proven that. He never improved under any of the coaches or coordinators he had and to suggest that now is refusing to ackowledge the obvious IMO. Vick is a great runner, horrible passer. Therefore, a bad NFL QB. The evidence is overwhelming at this point.
The evidence is overwhelming to support your preconceived conclusion. Vick improved significantly under Reeves. I've shown this before in posts. Mora then came in and put in an offense that was terrible for him as a passer, and also completely limited his pass attempts. On top of that, Vick did not have strong WRs to help him out.It is very true that the WRs look better this year, but that has more to do with (a) more experience for them (b) better offense for them and © more opportunities for them than it does with Harrington replacing Vick.

Vick showed flashes of how good he could be as a passer last season. The sky was the limit had he been given better coaching, an appropriate offense, and better talent at WR. In truth, Atlanta never should have fired Dan Reeves, who was very good for Vick. He was basically fired due to Vick's preseason injury in 2003.

Given that Vick will never start another game as an NFL QB, however, I'm not too interested in continuing this argument.

Week4 stats:Harrington: 23-29=223-2, 79.3% and a 7.68 YPA. YTD: 89-125=985-4-2, 71.2% and a 7.88 YPA.Time to admit what's very obvious. Harrington is a better passer than Vick. His passer rating is well over 90 as well. Vick never put up numbers like this passing the ball.Oh and let's not forget about the WR's. White and Jenkins are proving themselves as well. Claerly, Vick was the problem. Not the WR's.
:confused:

You realise we have two new starters at WR this year and we're running an entirely new scheme, right?
The only new WR is Horn as far as I'm aware. Who would be the other? White and Jenkins have been starting since they were drafted.
White and Jenkins have only LOOKED like new starting WR's. These guys might actually make their way onto a few fantasy rosters :excited:
Well it helps when you have a QB that can actually throw the ball and complete more than half of his passes. :thumbup:

Familymatters-Good call on Jenkins being the one to pick up by the way. Roddy is getting alot of looks but when matched up against a nickle D and Jenkins in the slot it's money! Kinda reminds me of what Tampa did with Joe Jurevicious lining up in the slot.

You realise we have two new starters at WR this year and we're running an entirely new scheme, right?
The only new WR is Horn as far as I'm aware. Who would be the other? White and Jenkins have been starting since they were drafted.
Laurent RobinsonHe started week 1 IIRC and last week they openned with a 4 or 5 WR set so obviously a number of guys got credit with a start this past week and that skews the #s some. Laurent is the rook ready and waiting for one of these vets to mess up but he's been banged up most weeks, if not all. He sat at least one week already.

Family Matters post is very inaccurate here. In fact, everything he wrote is wrong.Neither Jenkins nor White, were starters their first year in the NFL. Finneran & Price were the starters Jenkins first year (2004). Jenkins had a whopping 7 recpts during his first NFL season.Roddy White's 1st season (2005) saw him behind Finneran & Jenkins. An injury to Dez White did garner more playing time for Roddy his first year (29 recpts), than what Jenkins had.Joe Horn & Laurent Robinson are both new WR's to the Falcons this year.Here Family Matters does acknowledge the Coaching changes, but still ignores the completely new pass friendly offensive system being run by Petrino.
Not surprised that the coaching change is having a positive impact on the passing game. Harrington seems to be adjusting and responding to the coaches.
The following post points to the positive impact the Coaching changes & offensive scheme are having. Not only are the Falcon WR's finally producing, but a previously sub par QB thrown on the scrap heap, is currently posting career numbers.
I must admit, I am shocked by the improved play of Harrington. Until this year, he was an inaccurate passer with a career completion percentage of around 55% with a league low 5.8 YPA. His numbers in Miami were actually worse than Detroit. But in Atlanta, his completion percentage has jumpted to an astounding 68.8% and his YPA is nearly 8.0. These are huge improvements. He may just have turned the corner here and is on his way to becoming a decent NFL QB.

White and Jenkins didn't start any games as rookies, and White started less than half the games last year. Ashley lelie was preferred and actually played much better. The #1 receiver for the Falcons was actually Finneran last year, but he went down with a season ending injury in training camp.

Also notice that you're completely ignoring the impact of the new system on the passing game.

The Falcons passing game was fine pre-Knapp and even better post-Knapp. Part of that may be Harrington's improved accuracy, but you really shouldn't ignore the other factors.

Petrino uses a lot more 3 wide sets and shotgun looks as opposed to the I-Formation variations Knapp preferred. More snaps for the receivers and more passing calls mean more catches, obviously. Knapp has never been popular or successful as an OC, the only reason Mora brought him with him is because he'd worked with him in San Fran and he ran the same offense Mora was most familiar with. Nothing to do with the talents of the players in Atlanta, and a big reason the passing game took a major step back during his woeful tenure here.

The Gibbs chop-blocking scheme sacrificed pass-protection for run-blocking, hardly doing any favors to the QB.

White and Jenkins didn't start any games as rookies, and White started less than half the games last year. Ashley lelie was preferred and actually played much better. The #1 receiver for the Falcons was actually Finneran last year, but he went down with a season ending injury in training camp.
going along with the corrective nature of posts recently-Finneran wasn't praticipating in training camp this year but was hurt earlier in the offseason

^When Joey gets hurt.

going along with the corrective nature of posts recently-Finneran wasn't praticipating in training camp this year but was hurt earlier in the offseason
I meant he got hurt in camp last year.

When is it Lord Byron's time? :shock:
I just dumped Rivers to pick up Harrington as my 3rd QB (1st is, er was, Bulger). Harrington has the completion %, consistency overall, and matchups to warrant the move from my perspective. Hopefully he and Cutler can hold down the fort and HOPEFULLY Linehan lets Bulger rest and heal a while...

^When Joey gets hurt.

I meant he got hurt in camp last year.
Yep, if it wasn't for bad luck, Finneran would have no luck at all. Poor guy has torn up his knee two years in a row. Just before the season last year & a bit earlier than that this year.

Users who are viewing this thread