What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tried this chili recipe for the first time... (2 Viewers)

Marking for later. I have also used cinnamon instead of sugar or honey in my chili for probably 15 years.

Solid recipe.

To up the ante, use bacon grease instead of olive oil to cook the meat.

Will not win American Heart Association awards, but really kicks the taste up a notch!

going to try this for the superbowl. should I make it the day before? it sounds like it's better on the 2nd day.

how hot are the new mexico chili's? i'm kind of a heat wuss so thinking of using chili powder instead

going to try this for the superbowl. should I make it the day before? it sounds like it's better on the 2nd day.how hot are the new mexico chili's? i'm kind of a heat wuss so thinking of using chili powder instead
Personally, I do think the flavors meld much better on day 2. New Mexico chili's - more flavor than heat..

going to try this for the superbowl. should I make it the day before? it sounds like it's better on the 2nd day.how hot are the new mexico chili's? i'm kind of a heat wuss so thinking of using chili powder instead
Personally, I do think the flavors meld much better on day 2. New Mexico chili's - more flavor than heat..
Do you throw in canned kidney beans or the dry kind that come in a bag? Do you have to hydrate the beans? Also, what's the method you use to puree the chilis? I'm a rookie, but I want to try this out Saturday/Sunday.

It'll be good either way but making it the before is probably best. But that's as much talk as anything. Everyone always says how much better it is the second day as the flavor's "meld". Truth is it's pretty darn good the first day too. I'd guess tons of people couldn't tell the difference.J

Do you throw in canned kidney beans or the dry kind that come in a bag? Do you have to hydrate the beans? Also, what's the method you use to puree the chilis? I'm a rookie, but I want to try this out Saturday/Sunday.
You'll definitely want to use beans from a can. Not the dry kind. They won't likely have enough time to cook.For pureeing the chiles, just a blender or food processor works great.J

You'll definitely want to use beans from a can. Not the dry kind. They won't likely have enough time to cook.For pureeing the chiles, just a blender or food processor works great.J
Cool. Can't wait to try this out. Last question - are New Mexico Chilis easy to find? Do I need to go to a Whole Foods type of store to get them? Not a lot of chili diversity in Oregon....

Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.1/3 Cup of Olive Oil5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)1 pound of pork sausage3 large onions chopped6 cloves of garlic minced5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)1 small can of tomato paste1 can of tomato soup1 tsp of cayenne pepper2 tsp oregano2 TS of dried cumin2 bay leaves½ tsp of black pepper2 tsp of salt13 oz of beef broth36 oz of good amber beer (I used Fat Tire)1 shot of Jack Daniels34 oz of beans (optional - I used dark kidney beans) Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain and then puree the chilis. Set aside. In a large stock pot heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 24 oz beer, Jack, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. Then add beans and cook another ½ hour. You can substitute 28 oz of canned plum tomatoes with the juice for the tomato paste and soup. Another short cut is to use chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s – 5 TB to ½ cup of chili powder should do it. Since the meat is chopped already it is only about 30 min prep time. 2 hour cook time. Garnish with green onion and cheese.
Saw a recipe much like this one, also called for 3 tablespoons of blackstrap molassis.

Cool. Can't wait to try this out. Last question - are New Mexico Chilis easy to find? Do I need to go to a Whole Foods type of store to get them? Not a lot of chili diversity in Oregon....
Oh yeah, you should be easily able to find chiles that will work. The varieties known as "Anaheim" or "Poblano" should be easily available. Don't sweat that too much. Just a large mild chile and you'll be fine.J

I think I would make this the day before. Allowing time to allow flavors to marry is always a good thing with stuff like this. In fact, I think I will make this on Saturday.

going to try this for the superbowl. should I make it the day before? it sounds like it's better on the 2nd day.

how hot are the new mexico chili's? i'm kind of a heat wuss so thinking of using chili powder instead
You'll definitely want to use beans from a can. Not the dry kind. They won't likely have enough time to cook.For pureeing the chiles, just a blender or food processor works great.

J
Oh yeah, you should be easily able to find chiles that will work. The varieties known as "Anaheim" or "Poblano" should be easily available. Don't sweat that too much. Just a large mild chile and you'll be fine.

J
Make sure the dried anaheim chilies are not brittle. They should kind of be firm and bendable in the bag.If you have a smoker try this recipe. I use it on my big green egg

olive oil

1.5 lb. ground chuck

1 lb. Italian sausage (casing removed)

2 cups onion (chopped)

1 green bell pepper (seeded and chopped)

2 jalapenos (seeded and chopped fine)

1 Tbs. garlic (minced)

1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes and liquid

1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes and liquid

1 can Rotel

2 cans (15 oz. each) pinto or dark kidney beans (drained)

3 Tbs. chili powder

1.5 Tbs. ground cumin

1 tsp. cocoa powder

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

2 bay leaves

1 tsp. tabasco sauce

1 tsp. dried oregano

3 Tbs. Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub

2 cups beef broth

1 cup dry red wine

2-3 dried chili peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top

salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

wood chunks

Preparation:

Preheat your Egg to 350° with inverted plate setter (legs up).

Place cast iron dutch oven on the plate setter and allow it to warm up.

Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals.

Add 2 Tbs. olive oil to dutch oven, then add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon).

Close lid and cook for 1-1.5 hours, stirring every 10-15 minutes.

Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels.

Return dutch oven to egg, add olive oil and sauté onions, green pepper, and jalapenos until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours

Remove bay leaves, dried chiles and serve.

If you are worried about the heat you can also use Guajillo or Ancho peppers, both can be bought dehydrated at Penzys by the oz.

Anyone make touchdown chili before? I made this once last year and it was a hit with the spice-lover crowd. Just make sure no one lights a match after consumption begins.

Ingredients

* This is a chili I've been making every year during football season since I was 10. Depending on the year, the heat of the chili changed. It all depends on the people I was serving. I totally made up this chili recipe as a kid, putting in it what I thought would taste good. Little has been added or changed throughout the years. It is requested by family and friends that I make this chili at least 4 times during the season. I've never had a name for it, but at one time, when it was its hottest ever, we termed it "Liquid Evil." Figured "Touchdown Chili" is good enough for now. As you'll be able to tell from the recipe, it makes about 8 quarts. A bit of a secret: I serve a piece or two of chocolate with the chili. Have never found anything better to sooth a scortched tongue.

* 1 lb Chorizo, removed from casing

* 1 lb Hot Italian Sausage, removed from casing

* 1 lb Chuck, cut into bite-size pieces

* 2 lb Hickory-smoked bacon

* 10 Habenero peppers

* 5 Scotch Bonnet peppers

* 10 Jalepeno peppers

* 4 Poblano peppers

* 4 Banana peppers

* 4 Anaheim peppers

* 2 cans chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

* 2 large onions

* 10 cloves of garlic

* 2 bottles Negro Mordelo

* 2 cups Quervo 1800

* 2 cups Wild Turkey

* 2 large cans tomato paste

* 1 large can tomato sauce

* 2 cans Rotelle Extra Hot diced tomatoes

* 2 cans kidney beans

* 1 can black beans

* 1 can pinto beans

* 1 can navy/great northern bean

* 1 can garbanzo

* 1 bar dark bakers' chocolate

* 1/4 cup chili powder

* 1/4 cup cumin

* 1/4 cup basil

* 1/4 cup oregano

* Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Add the spices and the liquid ingredients (beer, tequila, whiskey, tomato past and sauce) to an 8 quart pot. Slowly bring to a boil.

Dice the bacon and fry until softened and the fat begins to render. Add the bacon and the bacon fat to the pot. Brown the Chorizo, sausage and chuck in a large pan, drain and add to the pot. Slowly bring to a boil again.

For the peppers, remove the caps and ends, halve lengthwise and slice about 1/4 inch thick. Peal and crush the garlic cloves. Drain the beans. Dice the onions, then add the peppers, garlic, beans and onion to the pot. Reduce the heat, and slowly rise to, once again, bring to a slow boil, with a the lid only partially convering the pot.

Taste adjust salt and pepper if neccessary.

After about an hour, in a double boiler, melt the chocolate then add to the pot. Again, bring to a slow boil. This time, reduce to head to a simmer and let cook for another 3 hours.

I serve plain or over rice, with chocolate treats to ease the heat.

The recipes for this contest, which were provided by contributors who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in Food Network's kitchens. Therefore, Food Network cannot attest to the accuracy of any of the recipes.

Never tried it. All I can think of is "ouch"

I call BS on adding tequila and Bourbon to chili as a 10 yr old.

Last edited by a moderator:
15 habanero / scotch bonnet peppers? That's going to be way hotter than most folks will like I think.

J

Anyone make touchdown chili before? I made this once last year and it was a hit with the spice-lover crowd. Just make sure no one lights a match after consumption begins.

Ingredients

* This is a chili I've been making every year during football season since I was 10. Depending on the year, the heat of the chili changed. It all depends on the people I was serving. I totally made up this chili recipe as a kid, putting in it what I thought would taste good. Little has been added or changed throughout the years. It is requested by family and friends that I make this chili at least 4 times during the season. I've never had a name for it, but at one time, when it was its hottest ever, we termed it "Liquid Evil." Figured "Touchdown Chili" is good enough for now. As you'll be able to tell from the recipe, it makes about 8 quarts. A bit of a secret: I serve a piece or two of chocolate with the chili. Have never found anything better to sooth a scortched tongue.

* 10 Habenero peppers

* 10 Jalepeno peppers

* 4 Poblano peppers

* 4 Banana peppers

* 4 Anaheim peppers

* 2 large onions

* 10 cloves of garlic

* 2 cups Quervo 1800

* 2 cups Wild Turkey

* 2 cans kidney beans

* 1 can black beans

* 1 can pinto beans

* 1 can garbanzo

* 1/4 cup chili powder

* 1/4 cup cumin

* 1/4 cup basil

* 1/4 cup oregano

Directions

Add the spices and the liquid ingredients (beer, tequila, whiskey, tomato past and sauce) to an 8 quart pot. Slowly bring to a boil.

Dice the bacon and fry until softened and the fat begins to render. Add the bacon and the bacon fat to the pot. Brown the Chorizo, sausage and chuck in a large pan, drain and add to the pot. Slowly bring to a boil again.

For the peppers, remove the caps and ends, halve lengthwise and slice about 1/4 inch thick. Peal and crush the garlic cloves. Drain the beans. Dice the onions, then add the peppers, garlic, beans and onion to the pot. Reduce the heat, and slowly rise to, once again, bring to a slow boil, with a the lid only partially convering the pot.

After about an hour, in a double boiler, melt the chocolate then add to the pot. Again, bring to a slow boil. This time, reduce to head to a simmer and let cook for another 3 hours.

The recipes for this contest, which were provided by contributors who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in Food Network's kitchens. Therefore, Food Network cannot attest to the accuracy of any of the recipes.

15 habanero / scotch bonnet peppers? That's going to be way hotter than most folks will like I think.

J

Ingredients

* 10 Habenero peppers

* 10 Jalepeno peppers

* 4 Poblano peppers

* 4 Banana peppers

* 4 Anaheim peppers

* 2 large onions

* 10 cloves of garlic

* 2 cups Quervo 1800

* 2 cups Wild Turkey

* 2 cans kidney beans

* 1 can black beans

* 1 can pinto beans

* 1 can garbanzo

* 1/4 cup chili powder

* 1/4 cup cumin

* 1/4 cup basil

* 1/4 cup oregano

Directions

When I made it, I removed the seeds/insides from the peppers. Still was very spicy. Can only imagine what type of molten mixture this could be if they are left in.

This looks great - I think I will give it a try this weekend. I'm a cooking idiot, though. One question - for the tomato soup, do you use the condensed Campbell's stuff?

Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.1/3 Cup of Olive Oil5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)1 pound of pork sausage3 large onions chopped6 cloves of garlic minced5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)1 small can of tomato paste1 can of tomato soup1 tsp of cayenne pepper2 tsp oregano2 TS of dried cumin2 bay leaves½ tsp of black pepper2 tsp of salt13 oz of beef broth36 oz of good amber beer (I used Fat Tire)1 shot of Jack Daniels34 oz of beans (optional - I used dark kidney beans) Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain and then puree the chilis. Set aside. In a large stock pot heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 24 oz beer, Jack, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. Then add beans and cook another ½ hour. You can substitute 28 oz of canned plum tomatoes with the juice for the tomato paste and soup. Another short cut is to use chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s – 5 TB to ½ cup of chili powder should do it. Since the meat is chopped already it is only about 30 min prep time. 2 hour cook time. Garnish with green onion and cheese.
I haven't been this excited to try out a recipe before in all my life. Making it tomorrow for a super bowl party. Can't wait!

2 Questions.1 - Do I take the seeds out of the dried chiles?2 - When it's cooking for 1 1/2 hours, do I cover the pot or not?Thanks! Chopping onions now!

Alright, I've got it simmering right now. A whole lotta liquidy right now. Spose that'll burn off.

Holy CRAP is that a lot of onions. My god...my two boys had to go outside. They weren't even near them either.

I forgot completely about the rehydrating the dried New Mexico peppers. I saw that it took 20 minutes at least and with me, everything is two times longer than that, so I grabbed the Chili Powder short cut. Hope that's okay. Was really looking forward to making my own chili paste, but I can save these for next time.

I used Mirror Pond Pale Ale instead of Fat Tire. I'm just not a fan of Fat Tire. Too sweet, which I'm sure is the reason it's used. Hope the Pale Ale switch doesn't come back to bite me.

Also used more than a shot of jack.

Oh, and I used Tony Chachare's (SP?) instead of salt and actually used it to brown the onions. I use this stuff for everything and probably too much of it.

Just tasted a piece of the stew meat....

:boner:

A little spicy. Think I went overboard on the cayenne. But other than that, very tasty.

I added a few squirts of honey. Felt it was lacking just a little something due to using Pale Ale and not a sweeter Fat Tire.

Also, I had to take the battery out of my smoke detector. And open a window. Little cold out...

But it's smells great and I tasted a few more chunks. Excellent. Can't wait to add the beans.

I know when I let stuff simmer, I should leave it alone and not stir it....but I can't help myself.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

This was awesome! I took the whole batch to a party; came back with under a small zip-lock bag's worth. People seemed to really like it with corn chips added. But rave reviews.

Awesome!

This was a big hit for the party. Just the right amount of spice out of the pot - anything more and it wouldn't have worked with the kids. But easy enough to add a little tabasco habanero for those that wanted to kick it up.

Thanks for posting this!

Im currently perfecting my own White Chicken Chilli. The first effort was tasty...but still needs some work.
:confused:
Still working it...its getting closer.Take and boil a whole chicken with some carrots, celery, onion, garlic.Like you would if you were making broth.Strain it good to get all the pieces out of the broth.This will yield more than you need to use for this recipe. Freeze it...its good eats for later.Pull the chicken from the bones like you would had you smoked it. (I actually may try using some frozen broth and smoking a chicken and using the smoked chicken in this next time).I don't have the written recipe in front of me so forgive my incompleteness right now.But I think I use about 2 cups of the broth into the crock pot. I add 8 oz of sour cream, about 1 cup (for now) of shredded monterey jack cheese.about a half to a cup of fresh chopped cilantro, 1 TBSP ground cumin, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp dry cilantro. 1 tsp tobasco habenero.(Im guessing on the amounts for now...but I think its close). There is more in it, I just can't recall right now...but these are the seasonsings I usually go with and play with til it tastes right.Add in the chicken and a can or two of northern beans. Depending on how many beans you want.I cook it in there on low for 5-6 hours and add more cheese towards the end to thicken it up if its needed.Like I said...still a work in progress...I have not done it in a while either.

This was a big hit for the party. Just the right amount of spice out of the pot - anything more and it wouldn't have worked with the kids. But easy enough to add a little tabasco habanero for those that wanted to kick it up. Thanks for posting this!
:confused: I usually tone it down for the wife and kids...but always have the habenero ready to go.

Im currently perfecting my own White Chicken Chilli. The first effort was tasty...but still needs some work.
:moneybag:
Still working it...its getting closer.Take and boil a whole chicken with some carrots, celery, onion, garlic.Like you would if you were making broth.Strain it good to get all the pieces out of the broth.This will yield more than you need to use for this recipe. Freeze it...its good eats for later.Pull the chicken from the bones like you would had you smoked it. (I actually may try using some frozen broth and smoking a chicken and using the smoked chicken in this next time).I don't have the written recipe in front of me so forgive my incompleteness right now.But I think I use about 2 cups of the broth into the crock pot. I add 8 oz of sour cream, about 1 cup (for now) of shredded monterey jack cheese.about a half to a cup of fresh chopped cilantro, 1 TBSP ground cumin, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp dry cilantro. 1 tsp tobasco habenero.(Im guessing on the amounts for now...but I think its close). There is more in it, I just can't recall right now...but these are the seasonsings I usually go with and play with til it tastes right.Add in the chicken and a can or two of northern beans. Depending on how many beans you want.I cook it in there on low for 5-6 hours and add more cheese towards the end to thicken it up if its needed.Like I said...still a work in progress...I have not done it in a while either.
Awesome, thank you for the update. I'll standby for further instructions sir!

Found this thread late last spring and put the recipe away until fall. I have a pot on now with a few minor modifications. I'll let you know how it turns out.

My chilli took a giant step forward when I stopped with the tomato sauce and/or paste.

Seems to "gravy up" the chilli. Wihtout it you can actually identify the little bits of goodness in there. I generally used some diced tomatoes but no sauce or paste.

My chilli took a giant step forward when I stopped with the tomato sauce and/or paste. Seems to "gravy up" the chilli. Wihtout it you can actually identify the little bits of goodness in there. I generally used some diced tomatoes but no sauce or paste.
I will have to try this. I generally like stuff a little hotter so I threw 2 habaneros into the rehydrated New Mexico Chili's. My wife doesn't like hot stuff so I made a separate smaller pot with roasted red peppers and sprinkled crushed red pepper seeds in it. They both smell wonderful. I can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread