What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike and the Mad Dog show (Not Done!) (1 Viewer)

Listened every day for 14 years when they were together. Can't stomach either of their shows on their own.

Kinda sad when Russo is BEGGING for callers half the time on his show. I'm sure he loves the payday, but the spark in his voice has dwindled a bit. He has to act enthusiastic when people call up to talk about BYU basketball in January. Tough spot for Doggie. Not to mention, the "talent" on his station leaves a lot to be desired.

the superbowl contest has lost all of its sizzle without the Marquis

plus Fatso keeps asking the same three questions over and over again

yes i think everybody has figured out that Parcels, Coughlin and Fassel to the Giants to the superbowl
Mike is insufferable. I can barely listen to him at this point.
You're a better man than me. I can only take him in the smallest of doses.This week is a big reason to still be pissed about the breakup. That was an absolute ball buster when Maddog ran it, one of the highlights of every year for their show.
I pride myself on knowing as much NFL trivia as anyone, but some of those #4 questions (featuring the sound bites) to get the Super Bowl trip are just ridiculous. They play an audio clip of some random white guy who was probably a backup left guard for the Chiefs in Super Bowl IV.
First two were generally pretty easy. #3s would get kind of tricky. #4 was always so effing off the wall.

the superbowl contest has lost all of its sizzle without the Marquis

plus Fatso keeps asking the same three questions over and over again

yes i think everybody has figured out that Parcels, Coughlin and Fassel to the Giants to the superbowl
Mike is insufferable. I can barely listen to him at this point.
"Tony on Long Island... what kinda fan are you?""Buffalo Bills."

"The Buffalo Bills........ let's see here ...... Question number 1: name anyone who has ever played for them."
:confused:

I love listening to Francesa talk about the Jets - mainly because his distaste for them is hardly veiled at all :goodposting: -QG
Yeah, I took WFAN out of my presets.....Just because 1050 is the Jets station Mike gets all high and mighty and takes things personal.The way he spins things against the Jets and for the Giants isn't something i want to listen to. It's absurd but, he gets ratings out of it anyway and he knows it. Not the straight unbiased FOOTBALL talk I like to listen to.I can't ever remember a NY team getting this treatment from a local media person... Outright Hate.I actually met Mike out a few weeks ago - the guy is barely upright, I was shocked it was even him.

Might be in the minority here but i love Michael Kay's show on 1050
He's ok. But, I'm a Yankee fan... I'm sure Met fans don't love him, then again, in that time slot Met fans get Kay or Fatso.. Nice choice.I like Brandon Tierney on 1050

Listened every day for 14 years when they were together. Can't stomach either of their shows on their own.Kinda sad when Russo is BEGGING for callers half the time on his show. I'm sure he loves the payday, but the spark in his voice has dwindled a bit. He has to act enthusiastic when people call up to talk about BYU basketball in January. Tough spot for Doggie. Not to mention, the "talent" on his station leaves a lot to be desired.
the 'talent' on FAN is terrible too. The Schmoozer needs to be put out to pasture, Joe and Evan is unlistenable, Boomer and Cartoon are a step above stabbing an ice-pick into your urethra and the Moose needs to be put out of his misery.

Listened every day for 14 years when they were together. Can't stomach either of their shows on their own.Kinda sad when Russo is BEGGING for callers half the time on his show. I'm sure he loves the payday, but the spark in his voice has dwindled a bit. He has to act enthusiastic when people call up to talk about BYU basketball in January. Tough spot for Doggie. Not to mention, the "talent" on his station leaves a lot to be desired.
the 'talent' on FAN is terrible too. The Schmoozer needs to be put out to pasture, Joe and Evan is unlistenable, Boomer and Cartoon are a step above stabbing an ice-pick into your urethra and the Moose needs to be put out of his misery.
Schmoozer is awesome. He makes the FAN somwhat tolerable.

WAIT A SECOND WAIT A SECOND WAIT A SECOND WAIT A SECOND WAIT A SECOND WAIT A SECOND WAIT A SECOND WAIT A SECOND WAIT A SECOND WAIT A SECOND WAIT A SECOND

shadyridr said:
I dislike the Jets and even I think Mike Francesa's outright hate for the Jets is disgraceful
It is quite comical. Even more comical is hearing him defending it.There's actually a mistake on that answer for the #4 above:

-QG

Reaper said:
I love listening to Francesa talk about the Jets - mainly because his distaste for them is hardly veiled at all :thumbup:

-QG
Yeah, I took WFAN out of my presets.....

Just because 1050 is the Jets station Mike gets all high and mighty and takes things personal.

The way he spins things against the Jets and for the Giants isn't something i want to listen to. It's absurd but, he gets ratings out of it anyway and he knows it. Not the straight unbiased FOOTBALL talk I like to listen to.

I can't ever remember a NY team getting this treatment from a local media person... Outright Hate.

I actually met Mike out a few weeks ago - the guy is barely upright, I was shocked it was even him.
:confused:

Hysterical.

I guess you go to 1050 to get that hard-hitting objective Jets football talk from the likes of Michael Kay - who went to the John Sterling school of broadcasting . . .

Homer U

No talent homer hacks.

And how is fatso anti-Jets? By saying . . .

The Jets talk so much smack (after wins and loses) you'd think they won 2 or 3 Super Bowls over the last 5 years?

or

That the #1 self proclaimed Defense in the league couldn't stop the Steelers from scoring 17 pts in the 1st half? Or couldn't stop the Steelers on a crucial 3rd down in the 4th quarter?

The Jet lemmings that call into WFAN looking for a green pat on the back after they've won NOTHING crack me up. Super Bowl is in Dallas next week - not New England a few weeks ago.

Mike has a knack for getting under the skin of Jets fans (much like Russo did with Mets fans back in the day) but much of the stuff he's saying is not far from the truth IMO.

Russo called Ryan a fat slob the other day. When called out on how it was unappreciated, he said he needed to get listeners. I think he's hurting a bit, and needs a bump. That bump is not going to come without Mike, IMO.

Russo called Ryan a fat slob the other day. When called out on how it was unappreciated, he said he needed to get listeners. I think he's hurting a bit, and needs a bump. That bump is not going to come without Mike, IMO.
Caught 10 minutes of Russo on the ride home Friday. I've probably listened to him 10 times on Sirius and this was the 5th time where he was complaining about his hosts/station. Something about a contest gone bad. Has he ever listened to sports talk radio? Did he think finding 6 hosts who could appeal to America was going to be easy?

Both shows are a disaster IMO - these two idiots were made for each other - any chance of a reunion when Russo's contract is up? How long is he signed for?

Nice job by Mike completely alienating himself from the Jets - biggest story in NY football and he doesnt have one Jet guest on all year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job by Mike completely alienating himself from the Jets - biggest story in NY football and he doesnt have one Jet guest on all year.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think he is allowed to have a Jets player on the show. The Fan isn't the *OFFICIAL* Jets radio network.

Both shows are a disaster IMO - these two idiots were made for each other - any chance of a reunion when Russo's contract is up? How long is he signed for?

Umm, that was the Jets doing, not his

:rolleyes: Can't blame the Pope for this one.

-QG

:lmao: Can't blame the Pope for this one.

-QG
Not true.... And even if it was, as a sports fan I don't need to hear a guy's personal vendetta coming through the airwaves when I listen to SPORTS talk.

Jet Players were on the other WFAN shows... The Jets offered Rex Ryan to Fatso and he said NO.

For a small window LAST YEAR during the Playoffs ESPN and the Jets had an agreement but, that was it.

Fatty knows what he's doing..... He's on a massive fishing trip.. Then again he hated the Jets back when he used to call Leon Hess senile... But, he jumped in when his buddy Parcells was the coach.

Bottom line.. he gives the Giants free passes for the same #### the Jets do and admits it.. He says he won't give the Jets any benfit of the doubt...

Hey, if I were a Mets fan I'd doubly hate him.. He plays the same game with that team albeit the Mets have not had the Jets success of late.

Newsday

Mike Francesa was fresh off another verbal sparring session with Jets fans, but he sounded energized and ready to go another four rounds. That was a good thing for him, seeing as how it was only Monday.

"Jets fans feel I'm anti-Jet, and I'm sure the Jets feel I'm anti-Jet,'' the WFAN host said on his way home. "But the Jets are clearly anti-me. Do I feel the Jets are anti-me? Absolutely.''

So it has gone for the Emperor of New York sports radio, whose year-old feud with the Jets has added another ring to the Rex Ryan circus recently.

On one hand, the story line has been invaluable fodder for Francesa's show. "The fact the Jets fans feel it's them against me I think has increased the intensity of the program,'' he said.

On the other, he risks straining listeners' patience and hurting his credibility if he is perceived to have a bias against the team. To many listeners, that already is self-evident.

Francesa said he strives to be "very fair'' in his analysis. But he admitted the Jets get no benefit of the doubt from him.

"They have sided with my competitor to try to hurt me,'' he said. "I don't think that's going to make me feel very warm and fuzzy about them.''

Francesa was referring to the Jets' policies for 1050 ESPN, their programming partner, relative to WFAN. More about that later. First, this: The team insists it has no problem with Francesa.

"I feel like he's a person that has an opinion and he's entitled to share it and he's well respected in the marketplace and that's his obligation to his listeners,'' Jets media relations chief Bruce Speight said. "There's not a feud from our perspective.''

Said Francesa: "Baloney.''

The trouble began last January when the Jets told WFAN the players would be limited to 1050 during the playoffs. Speight called it a "mutual decision'' between the team and station.

Francesa saw it as an inappropriate means of helping a partner that has fared badly in the ratings and a step the Knicks and Rangers, also 1050 partners, declined to take.

ESPN doesn't allow its personalities on WFAN, which Francesa said he understands. "But no way a team should ever agree to something like this,'' he said.

The Jets loosened the policy after last season's playoffs, making some players available to WFAN on a limited basis, plus Ryan once in the offseason and once in November.

After the Jets assured the station in the fall they had not blackballed Francesa - "There is not a ban against Mike Francesa's show," Speight reasserted Monday - WFAN operations manager Mark Chernoff offered Ryan to Francesa.

"I said, 'Absolutely not. Put him on midday,' '' Francesa said.

Since then, Jets players have appeared on other WFAN shows, but Speight said Francesa has not requested one all season. Francesa confirmed that.

Francesa said he does not like being told whom he can interview and when. "I said, 'You can take your guests; I have no interest in them.' ''

The strains have affected his once-close relationship with general manager Mike Tannenbaum. "The guy I saw on 'Hard Knocks,' I don't even know who that Mike was, to be honest with you,'' Francesa said. "I didn't know who that buffoon was.''

The Jets are the talk of the town, but the talk comes with a sharp edge to it on WFAN each afternoon.

"They can say what they want, but they agreed with the plea of their rights-holder to see if they could help them and hopefully injure me,'' Francesa said. "I've never heard of a team doing that. What team would do that to the biggest sports show in town?''

Good post Reaper - it started out as a Jet ban and he has been the one refusing this year as per his own quotes....although a few weeks ago I heard him backtracking on it

Francesa said. "I've never heard of a team doing that. What team would do that to the biggest sports show in town?''

:goodposting:

Can't stand how Francesa repeats his point AT LEAST six times before moving on to a different topic. Someone needs to tell him that his point doesn't become more factual each time he says it. Maybe he does it to fill open air, but still. awful

The first two days of the NCAA tourney are by far my favorite time to listen to Fatso.

Love listening to him give the "whip-around" updates even if I'm already watching the games.

The first two days of the NCAA tourney are by far my favorite time to listen to Fatso.

Love listening to him give the "whip-around" updates even if I'm already watching the games.
Me too. 5 TVs are up and ready to go. 4 for the games, 1 for Mike on YES,

Me too. 5 TVs are up and ready to go. 4 for the games, 1 for Mike on YES.
:thumbup: Did you hear him go ballistic for an hour about the blown call at the end of the St. John's/Rutgers game?

:lmao: :lmao:

GOLD!

http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-basketball/get-the-commissionuh-mike-francesa-fumes-over-blown-rutgers-call/

The first two days of the NCAA tourney are by far my favorite time to listen to Fatso.Love listening to him give the "whip-around" updates even if I'm already watching the games.
agreed.His breathing is insane lately, though. I always used to listen in the car and my radio's not that good, so I probably never noticed, but when I watch on Yes it is unbearable. Started noticing it on the stream sometimes after that.Can't someone tell him about this?

The first two days of the NCAA tourney are by far my favorite time to listen to Fatso.Love listening to him give the "whip-around" updates even if I'm already watching the games.
agreed.His breathing is insane lately, though. I always used to listen in the car and my radio's not that good, so I probably never noticed, but when I watch on Yes it is unbearable. Started noticing it on the stream sometimes after that.Can't someone tell him about this?
Rich Gannon does the same thing on Sirius NFL Radio. It's like the microphone is IN his nose.... you can hear his nostrils make a whistling sound every time he breathes. Annoying as hell. Didn't notice it with Mike, to be honest.

Me too. 5 TVs are up and ready to go. 4 for the games, 1 for Mike on YES.
:thumbup: Did you hear him go ballistic for an hour about the blown call at the end of the St. John's/Rutgers game?

:lmao: :lmao:

GOLD!

http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-basketball/get-the-commissionuh-mike-francesa-fumes-over-blown-rutgers-call/
Yes, I had Mike on the volume during the afternoon sessions last week as his BET coverage is great too. That was an awesome tirade; esp at his staff and WFAN. :eek:

The latest is Franny is all pissed off cuz Rex Ryan did every Show in NY but his... :lmao:

Now, he's mocking Rex cuz his book didn't break the top 100 after 4 days.. Really?? Like a Head Coaches Football book was supposed to rock the best seller list????

The 'talent' on FAN is terrible too. The Schmoozer needs to be put out to pasture, Joe and Evan is unlistenable, Boomer and Cartoon are a step above stabbing an ice-pick into your urethra and the Moose needs to be put out of his misery.
Really?I love Boomer and Carten and find them to be the most refreshing personalities in the NY area.

The 'talent' on FAN is terrible too. The Schmoozer needs to be put out to pasture, Joe and Evan is unlistenable, Boomer and Cartoon are a step above stabbing an ice-pick into your urethra and the Moose needs to be put out of his misery.
Really?I love Boomer and Carten and find them to be the most refreshing personalities in the NY area.
I'd rather listen to Imus. Imus! Carton is unlistenable.

:wave: Missed you Koya.His Boomer-doll shtick slays me every time.

:wave: Missed you Koya.His Boomer-doll shtick slays me every time.
WB Blue. YOU'RE MY BOY, BLUE!

DB Mike Attacks Tiki.....WFAN

Granted, I also have no love for Tiki but, Mike is such a blowhard.. Good drama regardless.

Boomer was saying this morning that a lot of players think Mike is a schmuck.....

amazing two weeks for francesa... two weeks ago abuses a caller for pranking him by making up al alberquerque even though hes really a pitcher who was pitching aginst the yankees. then he abused a caller for saying brandon marshall has bpd even though he does... then today darrelle revis hung up on him. lmao

Haven't listened in quite a while - was a big Mike and MD fan, but have turned away since the split. But, had the day off today and flipped on YES - caught the Aikman segment which was tolerable. Couldn't last to the next 20/20 though - his show is now completely brutal to listen to these days and if I remember correctly, is even worse when the Yankees are king of the hill.

Like 101.9 RXP, another preset that I can drop...

Users who are viewing this thread