What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (10 Viewers)

I realize that i am talking to myself here... but #### y'all i dont care. :hot:

My guess is that Jessie shot Gale in the shoulder and wounded him, but didnt kill him. I expect the rest of the seen to be gritty with gale rolling around the floor bleeding and in pain while Jessie continues to spazz and be indecisive for a few more seconds, before ultimately realizing that he has to do it, so he finishes him off with a head shot.

There may be a big time flaw with Jessies get away though. Especially if he is driving that little red ####-bucket. He wont be hard to track if Mike is within 15 mins of Gales place.
Can't say for sure, of course, but to me it doesn't really sound like it. This is from an interview with the AV Club last year. I'll put it in spoiler tags because we have some sensitive folks around here:

The A.V. Club: Last season ended with an episode that was reasonably conclusive, whereas this season ends with a cliffhanger. Why’d you choose to end on an ambiguous note?

Vince Gilligan: Well first let me ask you: When you say “ambiguous” do you mean ambiguous in the sense of did Jesse shoot Gale or not?

AVC: Among other things, yes.

VG: Gotcha. That’s interesting, because I’m hearing that from some folks, that question. To me, for what it’s worth, it’s not actually meant to be ambiguous. It’s meant to be, “Oh my god, Jesse shot poor Gale.” But I’m realizing now that when people see the camera come dollying around so it’s looking down the barrel of the gun, some are reading that as maybe he’s changing his point of aim. But that’s not what we intended. Apparently it’s not as clear as I thought it would be. [Laughs.]

AVC: Well, now you can still change your mind in the off-season.

VG: Maybe that’s the universe telling me I should. “Don’t kill Gale, he’s such a great guy!”

The fact that he says it's not meant to be ambiguous and later suggests that not killing Gale would amount to "changing his mind" tells me that Gale is pretty definitely dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize that i am talking to myself here... but #### y'all i dont care. :hot:

My guess is that Jessie shot Gale in the shoulder and wounded him, but didnt kill him. I expect the rest of the seen to be gritty with gale rolling around the floor bleeding and in pain while Jessie continues to spazz and be indecisive for a few more seconds, before ultimately realizing that he has to do it, so he finishes him off with a head shot.

There may be a big time flaw with Jessies get away though. Especially if he is driving that little red ####-bucket. He wont be hard to track if Mike is within 15 mins of Gales place.
Can't say for sure, of course, but to me it doesn't really sound like it. This is from an interview with the AV Club last year. I'll put it in spoiler tags because we have some sensitive folks around here:

The A.V. Club: Last season ended with an episode that was reasonably conclusive, whereas this season ends with a cliffhanger. Why’d you choose to end on an ambiguous note?

Vince Gilligan: Well first let me ask you: When you say “ambiguous” do you mean ambiguous in the sense of did Jesse shoot Gale or not?

AVC: Among other things, yes.

VG: Gotcha. That’s interesting, because I’m hearing that from some folks, that question. To me, for what it’s worth, it’s not actually meant to be ambiguous. It’s meant to be, “Oh my god, Jesse shot poor Gale.” But I’m realizing now that when people see the camera come dollying around so it’s looking down the barrel of the gun, some are reading that as maybe he’s changing his point of aim. But that’s not what we intended. Apparently it’s not as clear as I thought it would be. [Laughs.]

AVC: Well, now you can still change your mind in the off-season.

VG: Maybe that’s the universe telling me I should. “Don’t kill Gale, he’s such a great guy!”

The fact that he says it's not meant to be ambiguous and later suggests that not killing Gale would amount to "changing his mind" tells me that Gale is pretty definitely dead.
Hmm... good stuff. It still looked to me like Jessie moved the gun to the right a little.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here, Carter. This show is better than Sopranos. I can't comment on the Wire. SFU was great but not a crime drama so I don't know why it gets pooled in with these other shows.

The case for Breaking Bad as G.O.A.T.
Let's not go getting crazy up in here. This is a great show, but it doesnt come close to approaching Wire status. It isnt even the Sopranos or SFU imo.

great watch... but GOAT? Hell no.
I've only watched the series through once, but I'd put it second behind The Wire. I think the Sopranos gets overrated because it was the first of this new era of top notch hour-long dramas with tremendous production value. It deserves a ton credit for that, but I think the shows that followed it have better writing and better acting.

My wife and I didn't watch this series from the start. We caught the replays every week and caught up to middle of last season before one episode and the DVR didn't mix well. So we waited until we could Netflix the last two discs. In the meantime we were watching some other shows from extremely frustrating (Killling) to extremely entertaining (Thrones) and everything in between. Not that all of the shows we were watching are bad TV, but I forgot that Breaking Bad is clearly on another level (than what is on TV now). I can't wait.

The case for Breaking Bad as G.O.A.T.
Let's not go getting crazy up in here. This is a great show, but it doesnt come close to approaching Wire status. It isnt even the Sopranos or SFU imo.

great watch... but GOAT? Hell no.
It's not crazy at all. My top five would be 1-Wire, 2-Breaking Bad, 3-Mad Men, 4-Sopranos, 5-Six Feet Under. Even though the Wire is probably a notch above in most areas, I could make an argument for any of them being the best.

Breaking Bad is still going, versus The Wire which ended a few years ago. This is S4 of BB and S4 of The Wire was the accepted best season. So this season (or the next) could blow The Wire out of the water, for all we know. Of course, those seasons could also taint it the way the later seasons of The Sopranos did.

I’m just not seeing this show on that level. Just one too many “convenient coincidences” in the story imo.

Great show, but not quite there IMO.

I'd put this more on par with something like The Shield.

I think BB is the GOAT just on the way it twists and turns and the acting. The Sopranos just got tired and drawn out in the end. They just didnt know how to end it. The Wire just ran too long and there were too many side stories. BB just starts off at 60mph and doesnt ease up.

I’m just not seeing this show on that level. Just one too many “convenient coincidences” in the story imo.

such as?
I'm with you. One of the things I like best about the show is the fact that they don't rely on bailouts to get them out of difficult situations. My favorite example was when Hank had Jesse and Walt cornered in their RV. Instead of there being a real emergency or other false creation that got Walt and Jesse out of the jam (like other, lazier shows would have done), Walt had to cash in a chip and have Jesse call Hank and pretend Marie was seriously hurt... a reasonable last resort decision that had serious consequences for everyone involved.

such as?
I'm with you. One of the things I like best about the show is the fact that they don't rely on bailouts to get them out of difficult situations. My favorite example was when Hank had Jesse and Walt cornered in their RV. Instead of there being a real emergency or other false creation that got Walt and Jesse out of the jam (like other, lazier shows would have done), Walt had to cash in a chip and have Jesse call Hank and pretend Marie was seriously hurt... a reasonable last resort decision that had serious consequences for everyone involved.
Yo

I'm just not seeing this show on that level. Just one too many "convenient coincidences" in the story imo.

such as?
It was Saul's secretary that called Hank, but your point is still good.

I'm just not seeing this show on that level. Just one too many "convenient coincidences" in the story imo.

such as?
It was Saul's secretary that called Hank, but your point is still good.
Was it? My bad. But yeah, the point is the same.

such as?
In lesser TV shows, Jesse would have just pulling a grenade out of his bag he had hidden the entire time.

I have never heard the term g.o.a.t before. Guessing from what you guys are saying that first letter means greatest and last is television? But can someone clarify? Is this a popular acronym?

I don't understand how you can have the G.O.A.T discussion about an ongoing show. I used to think Lost was brilliant, then the fifth season happened. There's still quite a bit that can happen that will influence BB's legacy, either positively or negatively.

I don't understand how you can have the G.O.A.T discussion about an ongoing show. I used to think Lost was brilliant, then the fifth season happened. There's still quite a bit that can happen that will influence BB's legacy, either positively or negatively.
Not trying to dog you at all, but how in the world could anyone think that Lost was brilliant? The writers and producers just went any way they desired with no real focal or end point. Nothing made sense and they left a ton of mysterys on the table. I checked out after 1.5 seasons. It was too cheesy.

Not trying to dog you at all, but how in the world could anyone think that Lost was brilliant? The writers and producers just went any way they desired with no real focal or end point. Nothing made sense and they left a ton of mysterys on the table. I checked out after 1.5 seasons. It was too cheesy.
Maybe brilliant was too strong of a word, but I thought it was all going to some coherent point. It wasn't. My larger point was just that trying to evaluate shows before they end seems like a pointless exercise.

Maybe brilliant was too strong of a word, but I thought it was all going to some coherent point. It wasn't. My larger point was just that trying to evaluate shows before they end seems like a pointless exercise.
I hear what you are saying but I thought Lost was just lazy.

You do realize this has sort of been the way Breaking Bad has been written right?

You do realize this has sort of been the way Breaking Bad has been written right?
Not really, everything is pretty much tied up. There are no loose ends to speak of. Its not a lazy written show like lost where they chalk up crazy stuff to the paranormal. Its well written, tremendous acting and really believable. But everyone has there own opinion.

I don't agree with you on this at all. BB gives you payoff every time, there is closure. What makes you say that?

Watching "Caballo Sin Nombre" again, I just noticed in one scene that starts off showing the front of Saul's office there's a woman running from it as if she's so repulsed she just wants to get as far away as possible.

I don't agree with you on this at all. BB gives you payoff every time, there is closure. What makes you say that?
Not to answer for him, but I read that the writers abandoned their method for season 3 and decided to write themselves into corners as they went along, forcing themselves to write their way out. The difference between the BB writers and Lost writers is that the BB crew had the talent to pull it off and then some. If Lost has been mapped out with a coherent framework in mind, it could have been legendary. What was disappointing was knowing how great it could have been while witnessing what a cluster#### it became.

Not to answer for him, but I read that the writers abandoned their method for season 3 and decided to write themselves into corners as they went along, forcing themselves to write their way out. The difference between the BB writers and Lost writers is that the BB crew had the talent to pull it off and then some. If Lost has been mapped out with a coherent framework in mind, it could have been legendary. What was disappointing was knowing how great it could have been while witnessing what a cluster#### it became.
I agree totally, like I said earlier the writers for Lost just got lazy man, real lazy. Once it was obvious that they were going to keep going around in circles I was out.

How do you know that nothing made sense and they left a ton of mysterys on the table if you checked out after 1.5 seasons?

How do you know that nothing made sense and they left a ton of mysterys on the table if you checked out after 1.5 seasons?
Because they never went back to them, they never resolved anything and kept introducing more crap. What the hell was the monster from the first season?

Because they never went back to them, they never resolved anything and kept introducing more crap. What the hell was the monster from the first season?
so you only gave the show 1.5 years and you're complaining that they didn't resolve everything in that time frame?Lost was a great show. It didn't realize all of it's potential....but it was still a great show.

so you only gave the show 1.5 years and you're complaining that they didn't resolve everything in that time frame?Lost was a great show. It didn't realize all of it's potential....but it was still a great show.
yes thats correct.So was that the gimmick of the show that you had to watch all the seasons to figure out what was going on? So what was the monster for season 1? What the eff was the deal with the Polar Bears? It made no sense and was lazy. It was like the writers got high and wrote crap and then sat back and laughed their asses off at fans trying to dissect what was going on. "I got it, I got it, lets have the guys find a metal hatch and try to get in, then once they get in its ran but crazy numbers"

such as?
look, I feel almost dirty arguing the flaws of the best show on television. It is a great show. I'll just leave it at that. I want to enjoy this thread with you all for this upcoming season, not become the resident hater. :thumbup:

Not really, everything is pretty much tied up. There are no loose ends to speak of. Its not a lazy written show like lost where they chalk up crazy stuff to the paranormal. Its well written, tremendous acting and really believable. But everyone has there own opinion.
I like the writing a lot as well. It's my favorite show. I'm just pointing out that Breaking Bad writers are also making things up as they go. Going any way they desire, as you put it.

such as?
look, I feel almost dirty arguing the flaws of the best show on television. It is a great show. I'll just leave it at that. I want to enjoy this thread with you all for this upcoming season, not become the resident hater. :thumbup:
Its getting great reviews all ready. Cannot wait.

such as?
No, no - you said it, now deliver. What are the convenient coincidences? :) After all, we need something to discuss the next few days until it airs.

such as?
No, no - you said it, now deliver. What are the convenient coincidences? :) After all, we need something to discuss the next few days until it airs.
"I f----- Ted"Damn this is a great show. Personally it destroys the silliness of the Sopranos and gives you the gritty reality of The Wire. The Wire was pretty effing good as well. I never saw Six feet.

Users who are viewing this thread