What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger Woods (3 Viewers)

You mean if he transforms into a 20 something year old again?  Yeah, that guy was the best for sure. This 42 year old version?  Nope.  

Im surprised at how poorly he is playing.  Thought he would compete.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet a guy my office that he'd make the cut and finish in the top 10.

The tiger of now just needs time on course. Here's got the mental, he's a little loose on the physical but when he puts it all together, nobody can beat him
40th place, don’t hold your breath for top 10 finish 

7/14...he finished well and had some costly drives. Just didn’t play well in any area IMO.
The fairway stat is misleading. He was in the first cut a lot and never really jailed himself except on 11 where he hit that sick 5 iron. 

2, 5, and 8 on the front were bad and impactful.
I guess i’ll give you 2, although his ball was in the fairway.  

But 5 he had a clean look from a great lie and angle.  That drive did not cost him.  

8? He hammered a drive up the left 335 yards and had an iron in. So not sure what you’re taking about there.  

I have serious doubts with the depth of golf he ever sees an official rank above top 50 again.  I am lazy but does he even have a way into the PGA this year?
According to this he qualifies for all majors plus TPC, but not WGC Bridgestone. 

https://www.pgatour.com/fantasy/major-qualifiers.html

Aside from marketing reasons, he qualifies for the other majors ironically because he won TPC in last 5 years (2013) on course he hates.

As World golf ranking, he is currently 102. And the ranking is an avg divided by # of events. In Tiger's case it's last 40 events. 

Could his OWGR go up? Sure. Not sure he's a slam dunk to be top 50. 

That said, he has shown glimpses that I'm sure that the powers that be in non-Masters majors will provide exemptions for him through 2019 at least (if he doesn't win or Top 5 finish or otherwise check boxes)

ETA PGA tour priority 

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2018/2017-2018-pga-tour-priority-ranking.html

I have serious doubts with the depth of golf he ever sees an official rank above top 50 again.  I am lazy but does he even have a way into the PGA this year?
Seriously, the top 50? This season on OWGR events he has a 9, 23, MC, 12, 2, 5, plus whatever he finishes at the Masters, probably somewhere between 20 to 53. Not counting the FedEx playoff events (currently 44th) he has 7 or 8 events left. And 2 or 3 of those non major events are going to be at tracks he is very familiar with. He is good enough to stroll around those events and finish in the top 10. 

IMO it's about a 0.01%* chance he doesn't crack the top 50 by year end, especially if at a minimum he plays 2 playoff events but my money is no later than the Monday after the British. 

*Pending health

Seriously, the top 50? This season on OWGR events he has a 9, 23, MC, 12, 2, 5, plus whatever he finishes at the Masters, probably somewhere between 20 to 53. Not counting the FedEx playoff events (currently 44th) he has 7 or 8 events left. And 2 or 3 of those non major events are going to be at tracks he is very familiar with. He is good enough to stroll around those events and finish in the top 10. 

IMO it's about a 0.01%* chance he doesn't crack the top 50 by year end, especially if at a minimum he plays 2 playoff events but my money is no later than the Monday after the British. 

*Pending health
What non-major events are those? 

AFAIK,  the only event he has announced he'll play is his own at Potomac.

Looking at the events after the Masters, I'm wondering if he takes 3 weeks off before Charlotte.

He never plays Hilton Head and that course is way too tight.

He hasn't played San Antonio at least since they switched courses in 2012.

New Orleans is now a team event on another TPC course.

You can blow off those events as minor but people are still accumulating points and there are opportunities for younger golfers to pass him from behind.

If he decides to play Sawgrass, he has been very hit or miss. He won in 2013. The 4 years before were T40, WD, WD, T37. He has publicly admitted he does not like the course.

Between now and US open, the only events that look primed for his appearance are Charlotte and Memorial.

I think he can easily get to top 75 in FedEx or OWGR but Top 50 with a limited schedule is a struggle. He would need more Top 5 or Top 10 to balance out a bad performance.

Also his days of strolling are over. I give him credit for grinding away and making the cut this week. The depth of golf talent is so incredible right now that nobody can really stroll anymore. 

Anyone see Hank Haney's tweet about his mistake not moving the patrons back on 11?

What is he talking about? Maybe he meant round 1, but round 2 he hit a bad drive and hit a crazy fade into the green and did great....not sure what he is talking about.

Anyone see Hank Haney's tweet about his mistake not moving the patrons back on 11?

What is he talking about? Maybe he meant round 1, but round 2 he hit a bad drive and hit a crazy fade into the green and did great....not sure what he is talking about.
I was right there. I mean 8 feet from tiger. 

On Thursday Tiger wanted to hit a low pull and chase it down the gallery slope. His caddie ####ed up because he first pulled up the wrong stake not getting what corner tiger wanted gone. 

What he wanted gone was the low corner about 80 yards out from the green. He couldnt see (but I could) that they didnt pull the patrons there. In hindsight blame me.  I nearly said something to joe. 

I think he puts it at least handy if it doesnt get the patron foot wedge. 

What non-major events are those? 

AFAIK,  the only event he has announced he'll play is his own at Potomac.

Looking at the events after the Masters, I'm wondering if he takes 3 weeks off before Charlotte.

He never plays Hilton Head and that course is way too tight.

He hasn't played San Antonio at least since they switched courses in 2012.

New Orleans is now a team event on another TPC course.

You can blow off those events as minor but people are still accumulating points and there are opportunities for younger golfers to pass him from behind.

If he decides to play Sawgrass, he has been very hit or miss. He won in 2013. The 4 years before were T40, WD, WD, T37. He has publicly admitted he does not like the course.

Between now and US open, the only events that look primed for his appearance are Charlotte and Memorial.

I think he can easily get to top 75 in FedEx or OWGR but Top 50 with a limited schedule is a struggle. He would need more Top 5 or Top 10 to balance out a bad performance.

Also his days of strolling are over. I give him credit for grinding away and making the cut this week. The depth of golf talent is so incredible right now that nobody can really stroll anymore. 
You asked what events they were and then named them...

He currently has 9 events counting towards his ranking, 3 of which garnered 0 points. However the points he has earned are still being divided by 40. That simply means every single event he plays this year is going to be added to his point total, whereas the majority of the golfers will be replacing an event from 2 years ago. 

And the 5 tournaments that give the most points will be coming up soon (4 majors, and slightly less for the Players). Its important to remember the other golfers will be replacing these big point events and Tiger (and the super young guys) will be adding these events to their totals. Let's be conservative and say from now until the end of the year he only earns 44 more points to get to an even 100. Considering the 5 tournaments with the loot of points to give away, and any points from other events this year, his floor is probably way higher than 100.  

100/40=2.5. 2.5 is currently good enough to be ranked 47th.

110 points would put him at 40th.

I was right there. I mean 8 feet from tiger. 

On Thursday Tiger wanted to hit a low pull and chase it down the gallery slope. His caddie ####ed up because he first pulled up the wrong stake not getting what corner tiger wanted gone. 

What he wanted gone was the low corner about 80 yards out from the green. He couldnt see (but I could) that they didnt pull the patrons there. In hindsight blame me.  I nearly said something to joe. 

I think he puts it at least handy if it doesnt get the patron foot wedge. 
Damnit Culdeus

Not that he was going to win anyway, but i was at least hoping to be entertained this morning. I'm pulling the plug. He's all over the place again.

Not that he was going to win anyway, but i was at least hoping to be entertained this morning. I'm pulling the plug. He's all over the place again.
It’s still early in his comeback.  He will contend again here.  I think he wins one more. 

:lol:   a healthier one.

I admire the Tiger faithful, to a point.  But, the old Tiger is never coming back.  I doubt he has the motivation to put in the work that is necessary to compete at a major.
If you think his back was better then thN it is now I don’t know what to tell you.  That is just wrong.  

:lol:   a healthier one.

I admire the Tiger faithful, to a point.  But, the old Tiger is never coming back.  I doubt he has the motivation to put in the work that is necessary to compete at a major.
He doesn’t lack motivation. He may lack the talent he once had. 

I watched just about every shot today - he wasn't that far away from a really solid round. I get that you can say that about almost all of these guys - but he's still definitely good enough to win one of these assuming he stays healthy. 

Haven't paid that close attention to his performances this year but it has obviously encouraging. But isn't this Tiger's worst tournament so far?

Users who are viewing this thread