Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Tiger Woods


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, encaitar said:

He looked great this weekend.  Didn't look to be pressing.  Hit his driver/3 wood well.  Irons were out of this world good.  Putting was as good as it gets.  

No doubt he chooses himself for the President's Cup now.  Think Woodland will get the call too.  He played well this weekend as well.

Tiger was -9 on par 3s this week.  That's insane.

Since they didn't have time to change groups, he played with Woodland the last 36 holes.   Woodland has never played in a group event and was apparently in Tiger's ear about selecting him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And don't kid yourself.  He's healthy and playing great golf.   He won't stop until he breaks Snead's record, and gives himself a little room on it.  And once he does that, he'll be a machine, with only Jack's left standing.  

Still very doable if he keeps playing golf like this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Since they didn't have time to change groups, he played with Woodland the last 36 holes.   Woodland has never played in a group event and was apparently in Tiger's ear about selecting him. 

I think he should.  Woodland fits well with quite a few of the US players as he plays a similar game.  He could pair with DJ or Koepka very well in alternate shot.  I'm hoping he does get the call.  Selections are made next week right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Otis said:

And don't kid yourself.  He's healthy and playing great golf.   He won't stop until he breaks Snead's record, and gives himself a little room on it.  And once he does that, he'll be a machine, with only Jack's left standing.  

Still very doable if he keeps playing golf like this. 

He said the knee surgery gave him time to practice and he was able to dial in his swing.   As long as he plays warm weather tournaments and doesn't jack up his back again, he'll win a few tournaments this year and contend at 1 or 2 majors.   He may not ever tie Jack, but it's fun to watch him again.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, encaitar said:

I think he should.  Woodland fits well with quite a few of the US players as he plays a similar game.  He could pair with DJ or Koepka very well in alternate shot.  I'm hoping he does get the call.  Selections are made next week right?

Yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Nipsey said:

Need a deeper cut.

Could do something with this from Simon and Garfunkel, but I'm drunk right now:

 

In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of ev'ry glove that laid him down
Or cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving"
But the fighter still remains, mmm mmm

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Changed my Facebook pic to tiger and my gpa to celebrate both during masters weekend. My gpa worked at cypress golf course as a consultant and had many interactions with high school tiger, tiger always gave my grandfather tons of respect and I’ll forever be a tiger fan.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2019 3rd round at Augusta on TGC...I don’t think Tiger has the fire any more...and definitely doesn’t strike fear in his opponents any more...especially on the back nine at Augusta...no way he wins tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, grateful zed said:

been watching tigers wins replaying on youtube.

this guy is amazingly clutch.

The Masters YouTube site has all the final round broadcasts in their entirety from 1968 on. A few weeks back I watched 1972, 1975, 1986 (Jack’s last 3) and 1997, 2001, 2002, 2005 (Tiger’s first 4.) Was bummed they didn’t have 2019 uploaded.

Found a clip today of every shot of his round last year. It was so fun to watch. Up and down front 9 35 (3 birdies), my favorite was his putt on #9. It was a 50 footer from the back left edge, took about 20 seconds to get there, barely had enough speed to reach the crest at 20’, and then inched its way down to stone dead. You could stand there a week and not replicate it.

Bogied 10, fantastic recovery from the right woods on 11 - he hit a draw, that’s insane with the pond on the left - and shared the lead after the 12th when both his playing partners dunked their tee shots. Molinari was still tied with him on the 15th tee but he made a second double while Woods birdied, and then he almost aced #16.

I had forgotten how dramatic the last couple hours were.

 

Timeline of key events

12.13pm

Most of the leaders entered Amen corner in or around par for the round. Patrick Cantlay scored 3 under par through the first eleven holes to move up the leaderboard. Some commentators were suggesting Francesco Molinari was showing the same composure that enabled him to win the 2018 Open Championship.

Leaderboard: −13: Molinari (10); −11: Koepka (10), Woods (10); −10: Cantlay (12), Schauffele (12), Poulter (10), Finau (10)

12.31pm:

Brooks Koepka and Ian Poulter both find Rae's Creek on the 12th to score double bogeys. After a birdie on the 15th, backing up birdies on the 2nd, 7th, 8th, and 13th, Jason Day reaches 10 under par.

12.39pm:

Bubba Watson makes an eagle on the 15th, to back up birdies on the 13th and 14th and charge up the leaderboard.

12.47pm:

The leading group tee up on the par 3 12th, with the wind swirling. Francesco Molinari targets the flag and lands on the false front to roll back into Rae's Creek. Tiger Woods hits the centre of the green, after deciding not to go for the flag. Tony Finau goes for the flag, finding Rae's Creek as well. Molinari and Finau, like Koepka and Poulter before them, end up with a double bogey on the 12th, severely hurting their chances of victory.

Leaderboard: −11: Schauffele (13), Molinari (12), Woods (12); −10: Day (16), Watson (16), Cantlay (14)

1.00pm:

Brooks Koepka bounces back from his double bogey on 12, to eagle the 13th. Jon Rahm birdies the 16th to go four under for the round, and 10 under overall. Xander Schuffele birdies the 14th, and Patrick Cantlay eagles the 15th to move into joint lead.

Leaderboard: −12: Cantlay (15), Schauffele (14); −11: Koepka (13), Molinari (12), Woods (12); −10: Day (17), Rahm (16)

1.03pm:

Viktor Hovland of Norway wins the Silver Cup for low amateur. Hovland shot 71 to end the week at −3, one shot ahead of Mexican Alvaro Ortiz.

1.07pm:

Tiger Woods and Francesco Molinari birdie the 13th to move into a share of the lead, whilst Patrick Cantlay bogeys the 16th to move out of the leading pack.

Leaderboard: −12: Schauffele (14), Molinari (13), Woods (13); −11: Cantlay (16), Koepka (13)

1.18pm:

Jason Day birdies the last to finish with a 67, −11 overall, to set the clubhouse lead

1.33pm:

Dustin Johnson birdies the 17th, to back up birdies on the 13th, 15th and 16th and join the leaders at 12 under par. Rickie Fowler also birdies the 17th, to back up birdies on the 13th, 14th and 15th and sit one shot behind.

Leaderboard: −12: D Johnson (17), Schauffele (16), Koepka (15), Molinari (14), Woods (14); −11: Day (F), Fowler (17)

1.46pm:

Francesco Molinari drives into the trees on the 15th, and follows up with a misplaced lay-up. Playing from a tricky angle he hits an overhanging branch and his ball lands the pond guarding the front of the green. He ends up with a double bogey. Tiger Woods hits a birdie to take sole lead of the tournament.

Leaderboard: −13: Woods (15); −12: D Johnson (F), Schauffele (16), Koepka (16)

2.22pm:

After a birdie on the 16th, and a par on the 17th, Tiger Woods heads to the 18th knowing a bogey is all he needs to win his 5th Masters.

Leaderboard: −14: Woods (17); −12: D Johnson (F), Schauffele (F), Koepka (F)

2.29pm:

Tiger Woods bogies the 18th, to win the Masters by one shot.

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

I had forgotten how dramatic the last couple hours were.

  Reveal hidden contents

Timeline of key events

12.13pm

Most of the leaders entered Amen corner in or around par for the round. Patrick Cantlay scored 3 under par through the first eleven holes to move up the leaderboard. Some commentators were suggesting Francesco Molinari was showing the same composure that enabled him to win the 2018 Open Championship.

Leaderboard: −13: Molinari (10); −11: Koepka (10), Woods (10); −10: Cantlay (12), Schauffele (12), Poulter (10), Finau (10)

12.31pm:

Brooks Koepka and Ian Poulter both find Rae's Creek on the 12th to score double bogeys. After a birdie on the 15th, backing up birdies on the 2nd, 7th, 8th, and 13th, Jason Day reaches 10 under par.

12.39pm:

Bubba Watson makes an eagle on the 15th, to back up birdies on the 13th and 14th and charge up the leaderboard.

12.47pm:

The leading group tee up on the par 3 12th, with the wind swirling. Francesco Molinari targets the flag and lands on the false front to roll back into Rae's Creek. Tiger Woods hits the centre of the green, after deciding not to go for the flag. Tony Finau goes for the flag, finding Rae's Creek as well. Molinari and Finau, like Koepka and Poulter before them, end up with a double bogey on the 12th, severely hurting their chances of victory.

Leaderboard: −11: Schauffele (13), Molinari (12), Woods (12); −10: Day (16), Watson (16), Cantlay (14)

1.00pm:

Brooks Koepka bounces back from his double bogey on 12, to eagle the 13th. Jon Rahm birdies the 16th to go four under for the round, and 10 under overall. Xander Schuffele birdies the 14th, and Patrick Cantlay eagles the 15th to move into joint lead.

Leaderboard: −12: Cantlay (15), Schauffele (14); −11: Koepka (13), Molinari (12), Woods (12); −10: Day (17), Rahm (16)

1.03pm:

Viktor Hovland of Norway wins the Silver Cup for low amateur. Hovland shot 71 to end the week at −3, one shot ahead of Mexican Alvaro Ortiz.

1.07pm:

Tiger Woods and Francesco Molinari birdie the 13th to move into a share of the lead, whilst Patrick Cantlay bogeys the 16th to move out of the leading pack.

Leaderboard: −12: Schauffele (14), Molinari (13), Woods (13); −11: Cantlay (16), Koepka (13)

1.18pm:

Jason Day birdies the last to finish with a 67, −11 overall, to set the clubhouse lead

1.33pm:

Dustin Johnson birdies the 17th, to back up birdies on the 13th, 15th and 16th and join the leaders at 12 under par. Rickie Fowler also birdies the 17th, to back up birdies on the 13th, 14th and 15th and sit one shot behind.

Leaderboard: −12: D Johnson (17), Schauffele (16), Koepka (15), Molinari (14), Woods (14); −11: Day (F), Fowler (17)

1.46pm:

Francesco Molinari drives into the trees on the 15th, and follows up with a misplaced lay-up. Playing from a tricky angle he hits an overhanging branch and his ball lands the pond guarding the front of the green. He ends up with a double bogey. Tiger Woods hits a birdie to take sole lead of the tournament.

Leaderboard: −13: Woods (15); −12: D Johnson (F), Schauffele (16), Koepka (16)

2.22pm:

After a birdie on the 16th, and a par on the 17th, Tiger Woods heads to the 18th knowing a bogey is all he needs to win his 5th Masters.

Leaderboard: −14: Woods (17); −12: D Johnson (F), Schauffele (F), Koepka (F)

2.29pm:

Tiger Woods bogies the 18th, to win the Masters by one shot.

Watched every afternoon since Wed...and very much looking forward to this afternoon...love the in-game too.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cool watching the final round from last year yesterday.  In-screen commentary was neat.  Amazing tidbit that Tiger had 17 hole-in-ones before 2000 and only one or so (IIRC) since.  Said his best playing days/prime he only had one (?) ace.  Seems odd but shows how crazy good he was before he realized PGA tournament pressure.  

Edited by Jayrok
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, it was really interesting watching yesterday. Obviously Tiger is mostly a cliche-spouting typical athlete when he's interviewed at a presser or post-round. But he really is an incredibly insightful guy in a more casual one on one setting. It was interesting hearing him discuss his thought process on 12 and then how he and Joey were breaking down all the potential scenarios as they went down the home stretch.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TLEF316 said:

Yeah, it was really interesting watching yesterday. Obviously Tiger is mostly a cliche-spouting typical athlete when he's interviewed at a presser or post-round. But he really is an incredibly insightful guy in a more casual one on one setting. It was interesting hearing him discuss his thought process on 12 and then how he and Joey were breaking down all the potential scenarios as they went down the home stretch.

Yup. I had always found the guy amazingly boring event though he was so dominate. This was the most entertaining I have heard him. 

Really innovative programming by CBS here and cool of Tiger to do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, belljr said:

What's happening?

As their respective Masters wins were being aired, Jim Nantz had skype sessions periodically through the broadcast with the winners.  Tiger was Sunday, Phil was on Saturday when they aired his 2004 win.  Great commentary and insight from them with tidbits on how they felt and what they were thinking at certain spots on those Sundays.  

The one with Nicklaus was from his 1975 win against Johnny Miller and Tom Weiskopf.  I was 10 at the time so didn't remember anything about it.  It was cool listening to Jack talk about pressure, etc.  Also, back then they didn't air 6 or 8 hours of coverage on the weekend.  I remember them having Masters highlights after the 11 pm news.  Also the actual wooden drivers were cool.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

As their respective Masters wins were being aired, Jim Nantz had skype sessions periodically through the broadcast with the winners.  Tiger was Sunday, Phil was on Saturday when they aired his 2004 win.  Great commentary and insight from them with tidbits on how they felt and what they were thinking at certain spots on those Sundays.  

The one with Nicklaus was from his 1975 win against Johnny Miller and Tom Weiskopf.  I was 10 at the time so didn't remember anything about it.  It was cool listening to Jack talk about pressure, etc.  Also, back then they didn't air 6 or 8 hours of coverage on the weekend.  I remember them having Masters highlights after the 11 pm news.  Also the actual wooden drivers were cool.  

Jack also did '86 last Wed.  Phil's insight as usual was super-technical, but really interesting.  There's a putt on 13 he can't ever give enough break and has always missed in the same spot.  His cut driver swings on 14 and 17 were his best of the day, and he still watches them (if only he could have hit that shot on 18 at the US Open).  And he was smiling as he walked up the last few holes because he felt it was his time to win finally.

Edited by gump
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Jayrok said:

Cool watching the final round from last year yesterday.  In-screen commentary was neat.  Amazing tidbit that Tiger had 17 hole-in-ones before 2000 and only one or so (IIRC) since.  Said his best playing days/prime he only had one (?) ace.  Seems odd but shows how crazy good he was before he realized PGA tournament pressure.  

IMO it's not tourney pressure.  He didn't have any playing in private either.  And he's now arguably the best iron player ever.  It's partially luck...but also a different type of golf...aggressive with lots of spin and movement, vs pinpoint accuracy and very little action.

ETA: I say this as a life-long single digit hdcp with zero holes in one ;)

Edited by gump
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, gump said:

Jack also did '86 last Wed.  Phil's insight as usual was super-technical, but really interesting.  There's a putt on 13 he can't ever give enough break and has always missed in the same spot.  His cut driver swings on 14 and 17 were his best of the day, and he still watches them (if only he could have hit that shot on 18 at the US Open).  And he was smiling as he walked up the last few holes because he felt it was his time to win finally.

Yes if only.  Also liked how he explained how he approaches the 3 foot putt.  How he practiced making 100 in a row of those.  And how he counted up 86 87 88, as he moved up to the ball then putt.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, gump said:

IMO it's not tourney pressure.  He didn't have any playing in private either.  And he's now arguably the best iron player ever.  It's partially luck...but also a different type of golf...aggressive with lots of spin and movement, vs pinpoint accuracy and very little action.

ETA: I say this as a life-long single digit hdcp with zero holes in one ;)

Yeah, lots more flag hunting when you're playing with friends and no pressure.  

8 here and I've never had one either.  I've hit the cup on the fly to have it ricochet off the flag to the fringe (the hole wall was crushed) and another long par 3 where a 4 iron rolled on line and stopped 1 inch short of the hole.  One more rotation.  Story of my life.  Had several inside 3 feet but those two were the closet I've ever come.  Holed a few from the fairway but not a par 3.  Hopefully one day.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...