What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Housing While Black (1 Viewer)

Would there be a controversy if Gates had calmly shown the officer his drivers license, explained the facts, smiled and laughed it off with the cop?

Whether he was tired or not, you reap what you sow. If you mouth off to a POLICE OFFICER, expect there to be ramifications.

I think Gates just wanted to big time the cop, which he did.
exactly. he's probably not the type of person who is used to being questioned by police. he felt the guy was harassing him for racial reasons (which it certainly appears he was not) and completely overreacted to the situation. saying it was a calculated attempt by an elderly man after a 20-hour flight to get placed in cuffs and hauled down to the jail so he could make a PBS documentary about it is just crazy talk.

Last edited by a moderator:
ConstruxBoy said:
I think Gates had an agenda to get arrested and try to play the race card.
Disagree. I think Gates just wanted to big time the cop, which he did The cop should have taken a step back and just let this guy carry on like an idiot and left the scene. Instead, the cop decides, you want to bigtime me, I am going to flex my muscle and make a scene here too.Poor judgement all around. You would hope the cop would have more important things to do than waste anymore time on this situation but he didn't.

If the cop leaves this scene, Gates looks like a complete idiot to everybody out there witnessing it and this story doesn't get anymore press. That would have been a fitting ending.
Isn't that what you would want your local police to do? Back down first, assess the situation later?

ConstruxBoy said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
ConstruxBoy said:
you really think he wanted to be arrested? wtf?much more plausible that he was tired, stressed, annoyed, etc. and temporarily lost his mind after a long return trip from China only to find his door wouldn't open and then have the cops show up to question him. I don't see how people can believe this was some calculated attempt on his part to get arrested and create a huge national story about it.
I should have been more clear. Not an agenda before this ever happened, like a set up. More of an idea in the back of his mind about halfway through it that he was going to show this white cop what can happen when he messes with a "connected" black man. Then he escalated his behavior to the point that he knew he would be arrested. The mocking of the cop's mother is great proof of that, in my opinion. That is an obvious ploy to get arrested and had nothing to do with the situation. Sorry you don't see it that way.Edit to add: I mean, do you think 58 year old Harvard Professors often mock someone's mother when they are tired and stressed out? He wanted to get arrested.
sometimes people do stupid things that they later regret. it's not always planned out that way.I've been around people who mouthed off to cops and got arrested. I don't know any of them that ever said "yeah, I really wanted to get arrested there. that was the whole point. everything went exactly as planned."
We'll never know, but I think it's much more likely that a famous black professor with ties to the President would mouth off to a young white cop in the heat of the moment to get arrested and play the race card, than one of your friends would.

Would there be a controversy if Gates had calmly shown the officer his drivers license, explained the facts, smiled and laughed it off with the cop?Whether he was tired or not, you reap what you sow. If you mouth off to a POLICE OFFICER, expect there to be ramifications.
wicked :shrug:

ConstruxBoy said:
Disagree. I think Gates just wanted to big time the cop, which he did The cop should have taken a step back and just let this guy carry on like an idiot and left the scene. Instead, the cop decides, you want to bigtime me, I am going to flex my muscle and make a scene here too.Poor judgement all around. You would hope the cop would have more important things to do than waste anymore time on this situation but he didn't.

If the cop leaves this scene, Gates looks like a complete idiot to everybody out there witnessing it and this story doesn't get anymore press. That would have been a fitting ending.
Isn't that what you would want your local police to do? Back down first, assess the situation later?
At that point there was nothing to assess...

ConstruxBoy said:

As opposed to everybody in the whole world like he looks now?
I am sure this cop doesn't really want this to be a national story either. It is a terribly minor incident that now has been blown way out of proportion because one of these guys couldn't have shown a cooler head. I just can't excuse either party.
do you give equal blame to Gates and the Cop? Have you seen anyone reporting the Cop lost his cool?

The situation was already assessed. Gates was not breaking into his house, he was on his property and he got loud with words, just words.Yes, I want my police to be calm enough to make a simple judgement call like this.Is it unreasonable to want police that don't overreact when it is not warranted? This was not a critical situation, don't try and make it out like it was.

Maybe all the years of teaching African-American studies have gotten to him and acted out only because the officer was white.

Is it really racial profiling if the cops get a report of 2 black men breaking into a house, when the cops arrive they find a black man inside, and they question him because he's black?

ConstruxBoy said:

As opposed to everybody in the whole world like he looks now?
I am sure this cop doesn't really want this to be a national story either. It is a terribly minor incident that now has been blown way out of proportion because one of these guys couldn't have shown a cooler head. I just can't excuse either party.
What do you mean "either"? I agree that Crowley didn't want the attention, but obviously Gates did want this to become a national story - he made it one, and has plans for a freaking documentary. Unfortunately it hasn't played out quite the way he had hoped though.

Probably not. I'm pretty sure he just wants to do his job, his very dangerous job, without some pompous A** playing the race card and making his job that much more difficult. But from what I can tell, with the possible exception of the biased AA community, public sentiment is very much on his side. So, if it's going to be a national story, I'd rather be him than the Harvard professor.

do you give equal blame to Gates and the Cop? Have you seen anyone reporting the Cop lost his cool?
Plenty of blame to go around and the cop is going to come out of this nationally looking like his actions were okay here. At the end of the day, I rank it Obama, Gates, cop in terms of making bad decisions but I just don't want it to be forgotten, that this cop could have backed off.

The situation was already assessed. Gates was not breaking into his house, he was on his property and he got loud with words, just words.Yes, I want my police to be calm enough to make a simple judgement call like this.Is it unreasonable to want police that don't overreact when it is not warranted? This was not a critical situation, don't try and make it out like it was.
not at all, but the police did give him an order which he did ignore. And I don't get this just words stuff. People get arrested for just words all the time...Gates tested his boundaries, the police drew the line, gates crossed it and was hauled down to the station. That is exactly how I would want to the situation go down if something like that happen at the house next door.

You are missing the point. The officer did assess the situation correctly and tried to prevent it from escalating numerous times. The officer gave Gates several warnings to refrain from his disorderly behavior and Gates continued. Ultimately the officer needed to arrest him. You cannot ignore numerous instructions from an officer and expect not to pay the price. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Yeah, Gates has no exterior motives at all:

Gates' legal team argues that authorities are misrepresenting the professor and the officer, and Gates has said he is determined to keep the issue alive despite the charges being dropped.

"This is not about me; this is about the vulnerability of black men in America," he said this week.

advertisement

Attorney Charles Ogletree said Gates might sue the department and would bring forward witnesses who say they've had similar experiences with Crowley.

When asked for specific examples, Ogletree said only that they may come out in time depending on how the police department handles the situation moving forward.

Link

At the end of the day, I rank it Obama, Gates, cop in terms of making bad decisions but I just don't want it to be forgotten, that this cop could have backed off.
I hope that, in the future, all the cops on the Cambridge force as well as the Harvard police dept., back off whenever a call is made regarding this residence. Wouldn't want to cause a scene. And I recommend they do it as soon as the call comes in. Obviously, no crime could ever actually be happening there and it's quite clear this citizen doesn't want or need the help of the police. He would have been happy if they'd just ignored the call from the neighbor. In the future they should.

You are missing the point. The officer did assess the situation correctly and tried to prevent it from escalating numerous times. The officer gave Gates several warnings to refrain from his disorderly behavior and Gates continued. Ultimately the officer needed to arrest him. You cannot ignore numerous instructions from an officer and expect not to pay the price. Why is this so hard for people to understand?
some people have a strong dislike for the police

Obviously, Gates deserves a large heapful of the blame here for losing his cool and acting like a petulant child.

However, I think it's pretty telling that the Cambridge police department, who has a history of racial profiling and some questionable behavior towards African-Americans, isn't pressing charges against Gates while simultaneously backing the arresting officer. To me, it's an either/or thing: Either Gates' behavior was so out of line that he should be prosecuted for breaking the law OR the arresting officer misread the situation and arrested Gates unneccessarily.

I have a hard time understanding how the Cambridge Police can have it both ways here.

Because our PC world says that anytime there is a confrontation between a black man and a white man, the black man is right. We're trying to make up for decades of poor treatment of blacks by whites. It blinds us to cases like this, where the black man is clearly in the wrong.

What do you mean "either"? I agree that Crowley didn't want the attention, but obviously Gates did want this to become a national story - he made it one, and has plans for a freaking documentary. Unfortunately it hasn't played out quite the way he had hoped though.
Looks like Gates is digging his own grave even further. He's already lost this one. The documentary idea is comical, not going too happen. This guy is just trying to save face now. You are right, it backfired, everyone in this thread should be happy about that.I'm still not going to give the officer a free pass though. Too many cops without brains on the streets, I just don't like that either.

Obviously, Gates deserves a large heapful of the blame here for losing his cool and acting like a petulant child.However, I think it's pretty telling that the Cambridge police department, who has a history of racial profiling and some questionable behavior towards African-Americans, isn't pressing charges against Gates while simultaneously backing the arresting officer. To me, it's an either/or thing: Either Gates' behavior was so out of line that he should be prosecuted for breaking the law OR the arresting officer misread the situation and arrested Gates unneccessarily.I have a hard time understanding how the Cambridge Police can have it both ways here.
They dropped the charges because they were borderline anyways and it wasn't worth the effort given the situation and bad pub. Obviously, they were hoping the doosh professor would just let it go. Given that he hasn't I wish they'd reinstate them.

I have a hard time understanding how the Cambridge Police can have it both ways here.
The press conference, occuring now, said that they dropped the charges before they knew about the ensuing national publicity.This is going to be a HUGE issue for Obama. If he doesn't handle it right, he will be a one-termer.

Yeah, Gates has no exterior motives at all:

Gates' legal team argues that authorities are misrepresenting the professor and the officer, and Gates has said he is determined to keep the issue alive despite the charges being dropped.

"This is not about me; this is about the vulnerability of black men in America," he said this week.

advertisement

Attorney Charles Ogletree said Gates might sue the department and would bring forward witnesses who say they've had similar experiences with Crowley.

When asked for specific examples, Ogletree said only that they may come out in time depending on how the police department handles the situation moving forward.

Link
What the official stance by the PD at this time? First I heard they did apologize for the situation, But I think I saw a quote where they backed the officers actions 100%.

Looks like Gates is digging his own grave even further. He's already lost this one. The documentary idea is comical, not going too happen. This guy is just trying to save face now. You are right, it backfired, everyone in this thread should be happy about that.I'm still not going to give the officer a free pass though. Too many cops without brains on the streets, I just don't like that either.
Wow. Just wow. Way to make sweeping generalizations about the police in general and apply those misconstrued feelings to this particular case. I have yet to see you say how the police were wrong in this situation (aside from arresting Gates which has cleared been shown that he ignored numerous instructions to stop with his disorderly behavior).

So you're saying you would be all for a tax hike to pay for higher salaries for more educated officers?There are plenty of dummy cops out there, I just don't think this guy should be lumped in that group.

So you're saying you would be all for a tax hike to pay for higher salaries for more educated officers?There are plenty of dummy cops out there, I just don't think this guy should be lumped in that group.
LOL, Jefferson just can't give up his PC defense of a black man, regardless whether it is right or wrong.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
ConstruxBoy said:
you really think he wanted to be arrested? wtf?
I agree with ConstruxBox. After reading Gates's account of how the situation went down and after seeing how he's handled himself in the aftermath, I'm moderately sure that he made a deliberate decision to turn this into an "incident" as soon as the officer showed up (Gates practically admits as much in his interview with The Root), and I think he probably relished the chance to play the victim. I'm not 100% confident of this, of course, since I don't have the ability to read Gates's mind, but he does seem to be enjoying his 15 minutes in the public eye.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
ConstruxBoy said:
I agree with ConstruxBox. After reading Gates's account of how the situation went down and after seeing how he's handled himself in the aftermath, I'm moderately sure that he made a deliberate decision to turn this into an "incident" as soon as the officer showed up (Gates practically admits as much in his interview with The Root), and I think he probably relished the chance to play the victim. I'm not 100% confident of this, of course, since I don't have the ability to read Gates's mind, but he does seem to be enjoying his 15 minutes in the public eye.
Thanks. And I think he's going to get burned here. He was expecting a dumb, white cop that may have some issues on his police record.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
ConstruxBoy said:
Don't agree. If everyone in this situation Obama, Gates, Crowley could take a mulligan they all would. This would have blown over already if Obama didn't bring it up on national tv, Gates is just too proud to admit he's wrong at this point, he's embarassed so he keeps digging his hole deeper, and the Cambridge police don't seem to regret that it happened either.All 3 need to go public and say they wish this hadn't have happened and apologize in their role into blowing a minor incident way out of proportion.

Obviously, Gates deserves a large heapful of the blame here for losing his cool and acting like a petulant child.However, I think it's pretty telling that the Cambridge police department, who has a history of racial profiling and some questionable behavior towards African-Americans, isn't pressing charges against Gates while simultaneously backing the arresting officer. To me, it's an either/or thing: Either Gates' behavior was so out of line that he should be prosecuted for breaking the law OR the arresting officer misread the situation and arrested Gates unneccessarily.I have a hard time understanding how the Cambridge Police can have it both ways here.
They dropped the charges because they were borderline anyways and it wasn't worth the effort given the situation and bad pub. Obviously, they were hoping the doosh professor would just let it go. Given that he hasn't I wish they'd reinstate them.
See, in my mind, there's no middle ground - Let the judicial system decide if the officer's actions were warranted. Press charges, let all the facts come out on the record and see if they stick.

LOL, Jefferson just can't give up his PC defense of a black man, regardless whether it is right or wrong.
I have not once injected race into this so I have no idea why you are going there. I don't think I am wrong. I want cooler heads on the police force that can access how critical a situation is and not flex their muscle if they don't have to. It's just as important to me as some black guy not playing the race card when he doesn't have to.

I don't think Gates WANTED to get arrested.

I think he was legitimately pissed that he was being bothered, and probably legitimately believed that the cop's actions were racially motivated. I think in the back of his head he knew getting arrested was a possibility, but what's the worst that could happen to him? He gets taken down to the station, mugshots, etc, and then he's released - exactly what happened (and he maybe gets to write/speak/produce a documentary about it). What's the best that can happen? He shows up a police officer and makes the guy look like a fool on his doorstep for being a racist white guy. To be honest, it's kinda a win-win for him, in my warped mind at least.

I tend to think Gates just overreacted and lost his composure, which caused the cop to arrest him. I don't think the cop rang the doorbell and Gates thought "oh gee, I should get arrested"...

So you're saying you would be all for a tax hike to pay for higher salaries for more educated officers?
Sure.I have never argued that the police or fire are overpaid. I realize the importance of their jobs. Yes, I would like there to be more qualified police, I think I have been pretty clear on that one. If that warrants paying them more, that's okay with me.

I just had a conversation with a Black acquaintance of mine. He works as a barber for a hair salon in a shopping center I manage. I wouldn't exactly call him a friend, but we banter often about sports, and sometimes politics.

He asked me what I thought about this story, and I told him the honest truth: that I had begun believing it was a clear case of racism, partly based on my personal experiences and prejudices. But now, I was not so sure. The more I listened to Crowley, the more his story sounded credible to me. I told him that I was in a discussion board, and that I had been forced to backtrack on some things I had previously written.

Lance got angry with me. For a minute, I thought he was going to swing a punch. He implied that I was a racist, and that white people could never understand what is was like to be an African-American, and that this was yet another case of Blacks being railroaded, etc. I mean this guy was really pissed. I don't think we'll be bantering any more.

I hope this thing isn't spiralling out of control...

I just had a conversation with a Black acquaintance of mine. He works as a barber for a hair salon in a shopping center I manage. I wouldn't exactly call him a friend, but we banter often about sports, and sometimes politics.He asked me what I thought about this story, and I told him the honest truth: that I had begun believing it was a clear case of racism, partly based on my personal experiences and prejudices. But now, I was not so sure. The more I listened to Crowley, the more his story sounded credible to me. I told him that I was in a discussion board, and that I had been forced to backtrack on some things I had previously written.Lance got angry with me. For a minute, I thought he was going to swing a punch. He implied that I was a racist, and that white people could never understand what is was like to be an African-American, and that this was yet another case of Blacks being railroaded, etc. I mean this guy was really pissed. I don't think we'll be bantering any more.I hope this thing isn't spiralling out of control...
:lmao: at Lance working in a hair salon

Gates' agenda started the mess, Crowley's pride led to the arrest, Gates' pride blew it up, and Obama's stupidity lit the firestorm.

Gates and Crowley will come out of this fine, but the timing on Obama's part couldn't have been worse.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
much more plausible that he was tired, stressed, annoyed, etc. and temporarily lost his mind after a long return trip from China only to find his door wouldn't open and then have the cops show up to question him.
This is absolutely what I think.
Maybe. But that doesn't explain how he's handled it since.

I don't think Gates WANTED to get arrested.

I think he was legitimately pissed that he was being bothered, and probably legitimately believed that the cop's actions were racially motivated. I think in the back of his head he knew getting arrested was a possibility, but what's the worst that could happen to him? He gets taken down to the station, mugshots, etc, and then he's released - exactly what happened (and he maybe gets to write/speak/produce a documentary about it). What's the best that can happen? He shows up a police officer and makes the guy look like a fool on his doorstep for being a racist white guy. To be honest, it's kinda a win-win for him, in my warped mind at least.

I tend to think Gates just overreacted and lost his composure, which caused the cop to arrest him. I don't think the cop rang the doorbell and Gates thought "oh gee, I should get arrested"...
:lmao: I don't understand, are you saying the cop shouldn't have responded to the B&E and that the cop was racially motivated in his actions by responding?

Is that GEORGE Jefferson?

I have not once injected race into this so I have no idea why you are going there. I don't think I am wrong. I want cooler heads on the police force that can access how critical a situation is and not flex their muscle if they don't have to. It's just as important to me as some black guy not playing the race card when he doesn't have to.
I think there are people here who are white men who have been conditioned to almost apologize to black men for what our ancestors did to them. It's not PC to talk about, but it's there. So in a case where the white police office didn't seem to do anything wrong at all, you are trying to place equal blame upon him because of that conditioning. If a elderly white professor did the exact same thing as Gates (minus the racist accusations, but including the slurs of the officer's mother) he would also have gotten arrested for disturbing the peace. And rightfully so. But you can't see that.

So you're saying you would be all for a tax hike to pay for higher salaries for more educated officers?
Sure.I have never argued that the police or fire are overpaid. I realize the importance of their jobs. Yes, I would like there to be more qualified police, I think I have been pretty clear on that one. If that warrants paying them more, that's okay with me.
80% of Sacramento Metro Fire and Police make over $100K (they had a recent article on it) with 90% pension at 55. Yet, we still get our fair share of dumb####s, good ol' boys, and power abusers. Raising salaries doesn't neccesarily mean better quality personnel. It just makes who you know that much more important.

Plenty of blame to go around and the cop is going to come out of this nationally looking like his actions were okay here. At the end of the day, I rank it Obama, Gates, cop in terms of making bad decisions but I just don't want it to be forgotten, that this cop could have backed off.
How do you know?

I don't understand, are you saying the cop shouldn't have responded to the B&E and that the cop was racially motivated in his actions by responding?
Another example of coming in and blowing something out of proportion before you get the facts.Pretty certain that nobody in this thread has ever stated that. Thanks for dumbing it down some more though.

I just had a conversation with a Black acquaintance of mine. He works as a barber for a hair salon in a shopping center I manage. I wouldn't exactly call him a friend, but we banter often about sports, and sometimes politics.He asked me what I thought about this story, and I told him the honest truth: that I had begun believing it was a clear case of racism, partly based on my personal experiences and prejudices. But now, I was not so sure. The more I listened to Crowley, the more his story sounded credible to me. I told him that I was in a discussion board, and that I had been forced to backtrack on some things I had previously written.Lance got angry with me. For a minute, I thought he was going to swing a punch. He implied that I was a racist, and that white people could never understand what is was like to be an African-American, and that this was yet another case of Blacks being railroaded, etc. I mean this guy was really pissed. I don't think we'll be bantering any more.I hope this thing isn't spiralling out of control...
:lmao: at Lance working in a hair salon
It's an African-American hair salon, there's about 8 women in there, and Lance cuts the men's hair. It was originally owned by Venus and Serena Williams sister, the one who was shot a few years back. I knew her; she was my tenant. The business is still connected with the family.

Users who are viewing this thread