What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Housing While Black (1 Viewer)

Racial? What were the cops, anti-semites? No, this is a sad statement on how the Z-Generation, or whatever it is we're up to now, has no cultural sophistication whatsoever. We had an intern from this generation working for us over the summer. She had never seen Revenge of the Nerds and didn't even know who Cheech and Chong were. No surprise this cop didn't know who Bob freakin' Dylan was. And Dylan apparently used his stage name, too... I might have given the cops the benefit of the doubt if he had identified himself as Robert Zimmerman.
So watching Revenge of the Nerds and Cheech and Chong are two required elements of cultural sophistication. Noted.Also, I was goodposting less that it was racial profiling and more that it was an amazingly civil interaction.

Racial? What were the cops, anti-semites? No, this is a sad statement on how the Z-Generation, or whatever it is we're up to now, has no cultural sophistication whatsoever. We had an intern from this generation working for us over the summer. She had never seen Revenge of the Nerds and didn't even know who Cheech and Chong were. No surprise this cop didn't know who Bob freakin' Dylan was. And Dylan apparently used his stage name, too... I might have given the cops the benefit of the doubt if he had identified himself as Robert Zimmerman.
So watching Revenge of the Nerds and Cheech and Chong are two required elements of cultural sophistication. Noted.Also, I was goodposting less that it was racial profiling and more that it was an amazingly civil interaction.
It just demonstrates that if the cops don't know who you are, even if you're someone as iconic as Bob Dylan, they are going to require you to produce ID. Gates was the one that made this what it was.

wow, thanks for posting that hack.
Here's a good accompanying article to go along with that article about Chicago's housing projects being demolished...

Did the Destruction of Chicago’s Public Housing Decrease Violent Crime, Or Just Move It Elsewhere?
It moved it elsewhere.
Especially if " individuals sitting on their cars drinking 40-ounce bottles of beer" is a crime now.

Last edited by a moderator:
* Neighborhoods with a high density of relocated households (more than 14 per 1,000) have a violent and property crime rate 21 percent higher than it would have been without public-housing transformation.

* Neighborhoods with moderate density (seven to 14 per 1,000) have a rate 13 percent higher.

* Neighborhoods with low density (two to six per 1,000) have a rate five percent higher.

How long has the spreading of public housing to other neighborhoods been going on?

Can't expect short term success when the stated goal is "infusing the poor with middle-class habits". That's going to take a generation to show results.

How long has the spreading of public housing to other neighborhoods been going on?

Can't expect short term success when the stated goal is "infusing the poor with middle-class habits". That's going to take a generation to show results.
Let's look at a comparable situation with a longer track record then. Ferguson, MO was a solidly middle class neighborhood with average to below average crime rates several decades ago. Like Chicago and many other cities, St. Louis' poor communities began to gentrify forcing some lower income people out to more affordable living in the burbs. Ferguson began to change over in the 1970s, so a couple decades before the Chigao housing projects were closed. Realistically, we are looking at two generations in Ferguson. Have the St. Louis residents who relocated to Ferguson been imbued with middle-class habits such that they were uplifted? Or has Ferguson been imbued with the inner-city habits and been dragged down? It can be both, but which is more prevalent?

The same can be said for numerous locations throughout America. For example, Washington, DC has a declining poor, black population due to gentrification. Most of those poor black people have relocated to previously solid middle-class Prince George's County, MD. Have the DC residents who relocated to PG County been imbued with middle-class habits such that they were uplifted? Or has PG County been imbued with the inner-city habits and been dragged down? It can be both, but which is more prevalent?
Crime in Prince George County is the lowest in 40 years.

Crime is also down in Ferguson. What is going on there is about police methods, not crime.

Both of your links show the crime at it's peak after the neighborhoods had already begun conversion vs. the current level of crime. The more interesting and applicable charts would show the crime level before conversion vs. the current level of crime.

Wikipedia has the following regarding the post-conversion PG County:

Prince George's County accounted for 20% of murders in the state of Maryland from 1985 to 2006. A twenty-year crime index trends study, performed by Prince George's County Police Department Information Resource Management, showed the county had a 23.1% increase in total crime for the years of 2000 to 2004. Between the years of 1984 to 2004, Prince George's had a 62.8% increase in total crime.

TIME had the following regarding Ferguson: How Ferguson went from middle class to poor in a generation
The link I posted was from the Maryland.gov website and they don't match up with Wikipedia. I could play with the stats and say crime in Prince George's Country has dropped nearly 50% since 1995.

Ferguson become poorer and more black in this time and crime still went down from 2000-2010:

In 2000, the town’s population was roughly split between black and white with an unemployment rate of 5%.

By 2010, the population was two-thirds black, unemployment had exceeded 13%, and the number of residents living in poverty had doubled in a decade.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/us/politics/23gates.html

Obama Criticizes Arrest of Harvard Professor

Published: July 22, 2009

WASHINGTON — President Obama bluntly accused the police of acting “stupidly” by arresting the Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. last week after an officer had established that Mr. Gates had not broken into his own home in Cambridge., Mass..

More Politics News

Mr. Obama stopped short of accusing the police department of racial profiling, as Mr. Gates has done. But during a prime-time White House news conference that was otherwise largely devoted to health care, Mr. Obama weighed in full bore on the Gates case and suggested that the police should never have arrested him.

He added that African-Americans and Hispanics in the United States have long been familiar with racial profiling by law enforcement.

“There’s a long history in this country of African-Americans being stopped disproportionately by the police,” Mr. Obama said. “It’s a sign of how race remains a factor in this society.”

The Cambridge police dropped disorderly conduct charges against Professor Gates on Tuesday, but he says he still wants a personal apology.

Professor Gates, a leading authority on African-American history, said he thought it was because he is black that the officer, Sgt. James Crowley, had not at first believed that he lived in the upscale home.

- How'd all this turn out?

Having read up on him now I see his profession is being black and advocating to white guilt that it should continue. He advocates that whites must understand african americans in terms of their african cultural roots affected by slavery and institutional racism rather than the euro-centric culture of their oppressive ancestors while simultaneously maintaining that whites will never really be able to do so. I dig that. He states judge us by our standards though you can never do so, and therefore should be guilty for the crimes that your fathers may or may not have committed depending on their social class, though I will impute to you the sins nonetheless.The guy is Ward Churchill but unlike Professor Churchill has a slightly better rap and is actually of the ethnicity that he purports to be.This guy is part of the problem.
The story is making much more sense now. Obama needs to issue an apology to the p;olice officers involved.

I don't understand why Obama just didn't say.....I don't have all the facts of this incident and when I do I will comment on your question if you would like. Simple.

I don't know if this was posted, but here is the arrest report:

Arrest Report

Obama's response about this issue during his press conference was a microcosm of his presidency thus far.

Making concrete accusations and suppositions while forming opinions without having all of the facts, all while playing to his minority base.

Plus, having it as a pre-screened final question allows Obama to plant the seed of "if you hate my healthcare proposal, you're a racist" in the publics mind.
You guys all upset about Trump's behavior calling the Sheriff a "coward" and "disgusting"??

I'll log off and wait for your response.

You guys all upset about Trump's behavior calling the Sheriff a "coward" and "disgusting"??

I'll log off and wait for your response.
I'm glad you feel that the political savvy is equal between Obama and Trump, in order to equate and judge their opinions.  For a second I thought you might be one of those people that think Trump is an idiot and speaks emotionally and without thinking.

The more we know about Sheriff Israel and the rest of those keystone cops, "coward" and "disgusting" may end up being kind.

Here's a good accompanying article to go along with that article about Chicago's housing projects being demolished...

Did the Destruction of Chicago’s Public Housing Decrease Violent Crime, Or Just Move It Elsewhere?
:hot: i wrote a paper about this in '93 for my college English class.. when it was just being talked about. long before the plan was implemented.

professor laughed off the suggestion and gave me a D :hot:  said it was well written, and made good points but was such a ridiculous premise that, despite citation, it had no basis in reality. essentially she called it a work of fiction when i was supposed to be supporting a position with facts.

##### :hot:

Users who are viewing this thread