What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Cutler now? (current info on pg 46) (2 Viewers)

I am still a believer - and you saw why on MNF.
I was never a believer - but he showed glimpses of why he still has great potential on MNF.I still saw signs of immaturity - but I think he is getting better. He has the physical skills - if the mental skills catch-up, he can be a very good NFL QB. Maybe last night is the confidence boost he needs to turn the corner.
Yeah, he's never had a big game before, so maybe one big game will solve everything. :thumbup:As a Green Bay fan, the only thing that makes me happier than seeing Culter in the Chicago starting lineup is seeing Lovie Smith continue to roam the sidelines.
As a Green Bay fan, I would think you wouldn't want him roaming the sideline....he has a great career record vs them.

The Bears have been unbelievably bad on short routes. Part of that is Cutler's fault - he is just staring down at his first option and not going through progressions. Part of it is the receivers. They stop routes constantly. Big problem is the scheme/play calling. They need to throw more on first down. The need to throw downfield and take advantage of Cutler's strength. They need to be more unpredictable. They have more 2nd and 10 situations than anybody I've seen. Forte up the middle for no gain. Cutler needs to limit mistakes - that's on him. But the organization needs to step up.
I agree on the play calling. Ron Turner is as good as done as O-C.
I liked Turner before this season- really thought he was making decent chicken salad out of chicken crap. But I really don't understand his system this year. Considering the total lack of running success (and its abandonment, which when you are down by 21 is one thing, but that wasn't always the case) and inability to protect the pocket, you would think moving the pocket around and getting the ball to the RBs would be a no-brainer. Apparently not. If you would have told me Forte would be only the 5th most targeted player on the Bears this year I would have scoffed. Where is the screen pass? Getting Forte into space with the ball should have been a huge priority, but they never tried very hard. Instead they forced the ball to Olson to a fault, even when he was being totally mobbed. Here's the targeting breakdown by position:

TEs:145

WRs: 292

RB: 82

That's criminal. Forte personally should have seen 100 targets if they were going to abandon the run. You look at systems with the run/pass ratio the Bears were trying to pull off and they get the ball to their RBs constantly.
I agree but I think there was a fundamental change when they traded Orton for Cutler. They viewed Orton more of a game manager and when they got Cutler, they felt they could throw downfield more. Sometimes it worked, and 26 times (INTs) it was a disaster.I question Turner ever since the Super Bowl. You had an opponent in the Colts who were very poor against the run. You had two RB tandem of Thomas Jones and Benson......and you had Rex Grossman at QB. Now toss in heavy rains during the game. Why on earth would you run only 19 times (and average nearly 6 ypc) and drop back to pass 29 times? It was a terrible, terrible game plan. They weren't a better team than the Colts but the game was still winnable until Grossman threw the pick to Hayden. The game plan was dreadful.

The Bears have been unbelievably bad on short routes. Part of that is Cutler's fault - he is just staring down at his first option and not going through progressions. Part of it is the receivers. They stop routes constantly. Big problem is the scheme/play calling. They need to throw more on first down. The need to throw downfield and take advantage of Cutler's strength. They need to be more unpredictable. They have more 2nd and 10 situations than anybody I've seen. Forte up the middle for no gain. Cutler needs to limit mistakes - that's on him. But the organization needs to step up.
I liked Turner before this season- really thought he was making decent chicken salad out of chicken crap. But I really don't understand his system this year. Considering the total lack of running success (and its abandonment, which when you are down by 21 is one thing, but that wasn't always the case) and inability to protect the pocket, you would think moving the pocket around and getting the ball to the RBs would be a no-brainer. Apparently not. If you would have told me Forte would be only the 5th most targeted player on the Bears this year I would have scoffed. Where is the screen pass? Getting Forte into space with the ball should have been a huge priority, but they never tried very hard. Instead they forced the ball to Olson to a fault, even when he was being totally mobbed. Here's the targeting breakdown by position:

That's criminal. Forte personally should have seen 100 targets if they were going to abandon the run. You look at systems with the run/pass ratio the Bears were trying to pull off and they get the ball to their RBs constantly.
I agree but I think there was a fundamental change when they traded Orton for Cutler. They viewed Orton more of a game manager and when they got Cutler, they felt they could throw downfield more. Sometimes it worked, and 26 times (INTs) it was a disaster.I question Turner ever since the Super Bowl. You had an opponent in the Colts who were very poor against the run. You had two RB tandem of Thomas Jones and Benson......and you had Rex Grossman at QB. Now toss in heavy rains during the game. Why on earth would you run only 19 times (and average nearly 6 ypc) and drop back to pass 29 times? It was a terrible, terrible game plan. They weren't a better team than the Colts but the game was still winnable until Grossman threw the pick to Hayden. The game plan was dreadful.
First off.....Cutler's 26 INT's weren't all downfield. I would say most are in the 5 to 15 yard variety.Second off...in the Super Bowl on his first or second carry Benson not only lost a fumble to Bob Sanders but also injured his knee. That affected the running game greatly.

First off.....Cutler's 26 INT's weren't all downfield. I would say most are in the 5 to 15 yard variety.Second off...in the Super Bowl on his first or second carry Benson not only lost a fumble to Bob Sanders but also injured his knee. That affected the running game greatly.
Benson was Thomas Jones' backup. His injury (we STILL don't know the extent of that) was a minor factor. Thomas Jones had 15 attempts in that game. Jones has had plenty of games where he ran 30 times. Inexcusable.

I agree but I think there was a fundamental change when they traded Orton for Cutler. They viewed Orton more of a game manager and when they got Cutler, they felt they could throw downfield more. Sometimes it worked, and 26 times (INTs) it was a disaster.
True, but my point is you can be a passing team and still distribute the ball more safely... in fact the good passing teams use the short pass as essentially a running play. I just don't think you can be successful in the NFL with a vertical passing game unless you are running out of the play action or otherwise getting the safeties to bite, or at least unless you have Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne available. The Bears should have modeled themselves after the Eagles offense over the years, certainly not the Colts. There was just no way this offense was going to line up in the shotgun and pick a good defense apart, its almost impossible to do without superior talent. You need a gameplan that is going to get guys out of position and cause confusion. The only people that looked confused were the Bears WRs.

I agree but I think there was a fundamental change when they traded Orton for Cutler. They viewed Orton more of a game manager and when they got Cutler, they felt they could throw downfield more. Sometimes it worked, and 26 times (INTs) it was a disaster.
True, but my point is you can be a passing team and still distribute the ball more safely... in fact the good passing teams use the short pass as essentially a running play. I just don't think you can be successful in the NFL with a vertical passing game unless you are running out of the play action or otherwise getting the safeties to bite, or at least unless you have Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne available. The Bears should have modeled themselves after the Eagles offense over the years, certainly not the Colts. There was just no way this offense was going to line up in the shotgun and pick a good defense apart, its almost impossible to do without superior talent. You need a gameplan that is going to get guys out of position and cause confusion. The only people that looked confused were the Bears WRs.
I wasn't disagreeing with you. I think that Cutler needs to check down more. My guess is its a product of 2 factors: 1) Cutler has such extreme confidence in his arm strength that he throws downfield when it isn't the best option; or 2) In Denver last year he played much of the season with basically practice squad RBs and just didn't have confidence in them and therefore, got in the habit of not checking down enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off.....Cutler's 26 INT's weren't all downfield. I would say most are in the 5 to 15 yard variety.

Second off...in the Super Bowl on his first or second carry Benson not only lost a fumble to Bob Sanders but also injured his knee. That affected the running game greatly.
LinkThis is missing a few interceptions, but:

<10 = 9 INTs

>10 = 13 INTs

:goodposting:

First off.....Cutler's 26 INT's weren't all downfield. I would say most are in the 5 to 15 yard variety.

Second off...in the Super Bowl on his first or second carry Benson not only lost a fumble to Bob Sanders but also injured his knee. That affected the running game greatly.
LinkThis is missing a few interceptions, but:

<10 = 9 INTs

>10 = 13 INTs
Not all downfield like I said. I wonder what it would be if it was 15 yards or less.

Benson was Thomas Jones' backup. His injury (we STILL don't know the extent of that) was a minor factor. Thomas Jones had 15 attempts in that game. Jones has had plenty of games where he ran 30 times. Inexcusable.
He was TJ's backup....but averaged the same per carry with more TD's....IMO thats more productive. So being injured in the biggest game would make it a factor. How can it be called minor if we still don't know the extent of it? Thats a biased comment.Should the Bears have ran more....probably

Were the Colts playing better run D at the end of the season and because Bob Sanders was back.....yes

Did losing Benson hurt...yes.

All I am saying is these are all factors as to why they may have passed more....but I want Turner out of Chicago.

Feel the same way I did earlier in the year...still not a great QB until he learns a bit more and grows up.

To state the perfectly obvious from this year:

He has been much better at home (decent), and all-time stinkarooni on the road.

:lmao: Love the Cutler defenders. He has stunk this year. I'm not saying he'll stink forever but lets not use this one game as a defense. Its ridiculous.

He was TJ's backup....but averaged the same per carry with more TD's....IMO thats more productive. So being injured in the biggest game would make it a factor. How can it be called minor if we still don't know the extent of it? Thats a biased comment.

Should the Bears have ran more....probably

Were the Colts playing better run D at the end of the season and because Bob Sanders was back.....yes

Did losing Benson hurt...yes.

All I am saying is these are all factors as to why they may have passed more....but I want Turner out of Chicago.

Benson-

Congratulations on the most outlandish post on this entire thread. You say I made a biased comment. You are obviously a Benson fan, and you obviously cannot read NFL stats. Benson did not score more TDs than Jones. Jones had 1210 rush yards and caught 36 passes. Benson rushed for 647 and caught only 8 passes. They both scored 6 TDs . Only a delusional Benson fan would say he was the more productive back. Guess what, even with a good start on the Bengals, he's STILL not better than Thomas Jones.

JJP said:
Benson-Congratulations on the most outlandish post on this entire thread. You say I made a biased comment. You are obviously a Benson fan, and you obviously cannot read NFL stats. Benson did not score more TDs than Jones. Jones had 1210 rush yards and caught 36 passes. Benson rushed for 647 and caught only 8 passes. They both scored 6 TDs . Only a delusional Benson fan would say he was the more productive back. Guess what, even with a good start on the Bengals, he's STILL not better than Thomas Jones.
New here? He's been doing this since the SB season. He disappeared while Benson sucked, but then suddenly reappeared this year. It's someone's alias screwing around

His performance on MNF made me question a dynasty move I made. I had Cutler and Roethlisberger as QBs on a dynasty team that including this year I have made the title game 4 years in a row(won 2). I was frustrated with his inconsistency for over a year now, and decided to drop him for Henne(has looked good to me and Miami is improving talent-wise). I had tried to trade him but nobody really wanted him.

Seeing him play on MNF has me wondering whether that was the right move going forward. But he is so hard to predict with his inconsistency. The troubling part about the Bears-Broncos trade(just from a FF perspective) is that the Bears don't have the draft picks to help build the team around him next year, so it will be another year to start assembling the talent.

His release reminds me of Jeff George in a way. He certainly has a quick release and a gun for an arm.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I think that Cutler needs to check down more. My guess is its a product of 2 factors: 1) Cutler has such extreme confidence in his arm strength that he throws downfield when it isn't the best option; or 2) In Denver last year he played much of the season with basically practice squad RBs and just didn't have confidence in them and therefore, got in the habit of not checking down enough.
Agreed, but to address the playcalling, there should have been more designed plays to get the ball to Forte (or Peterson) in space. Take the decision making out of Cutler's hands. Turner failed to do that, and Lovey failed to make him. At its worst this team was completely one dimensional, and that is death in the NFL. It doesn't take a lot of swing passes to really wear a defense down physically, slow down the upfield pass rush, and force the DC to rethink his blitz packages. Forte hasn't looked good this year, but he hasn't been played to his strengths either. And the frustrating part is that none of this is rocket science, its been play calling 101 in the league for almost 10 years.

Clifton said:
I'm not saying he'll stink forever
Is it NOW okay to say Cutler stinks? I've been getting flamed for this since the trade went down. Can we safely say it now?
Yes you are. Quite jerky about it in fact. You dislike the guy, we get it.
Huh? Get real, pal. He looked good in one game. In that other game people were like "Whoa, Cutler had a good game" Anything positive he did on the field he did after the game was out of reach.

His performance on MNF made me question a dynasty move I made. I had Cutler and Roethlisberger as QBs on a dynasty team that including this year I have made the title game 4 years in a row(won 2). I was frustrated with his inconsistency for over a year now, and decided to drop him for Henne(has looked good to me and Miami is improving talent-wise). I had tried to trade him but nobody really wanted him.Seeing him play on MNF has me wondering whether that was the right move going forward. But he is so hard to predict with his inconsistency. The troubling part about the Bears-Broncos trade(just from a FF perspective) is that the Bears don't have the draft picks to help build the team around him next year, so it will be another year to start assembling the talent. His release reminds me of Jeff George in a way. He certainly has a quick release and a gun for an arm.
I think he still has plenty of dynasty value. 26 INTs this year is bad, but he still has 23 TD passes (and has thrown 77 TD passes in 52 career NFL games, nearly 1.5 TD passes per start, which is pretty darn good), and on a team with no running game and a cast of nobodies at WR (no real number 1 WR, and mostly WRs who be lucky to be number 2 on many teams). Cutler still has a ton of maturing to do, and needs to progress greatly after regressing badly at times this year, but his upside is still too high to just give up on him; Monday night showed how good he can be when getting good protection and when making good decisions. What moves the Bears make in the offseason, especially in regards to their offensive line and offensive coaches, will greatly dictate how well the Bears offense and Cutler do next season.

Clifton said:
Is it NOW okay to say Cutler stinks? I've been getting flamed for this since the trade went down. Can we safely say it now?
Huh? Get real, pal. He looked good in one game. In that other game people were like "Whoa, Cutler had a good game" Anything positive he did on the field he did after the game was out of reach.
Yeah, Cutler doesn't get criticized enough for his terrible tackling skills. If he'd stop letting teams run up 30 points on the Bears maybe he wouldn't have to be playing from behind all the time. Wait.. he doesn't play both ways?

Clifton said:
Yeah, Cutler doesn't get criticized enough for his terrible tackling skills. If he'd stop letting teams run up 30 points on the Bears maybe he wouldn't have to be playing from behind all the time. Wait.. he doesn't play both ways?
What do you mean?

Say what you want about Kyle Orton, I have no doubt he can drink Jay Cutler under the table. And then walk him home.

His performance on MNF made me question a dynasty move I made. I had Cutler and Roethlisberger as QBs on a dynasty team that including this year I have made the title game 4 years in a row(won 2). I was frustrated with his inconsistency for over a year now, and decided to drop him for Henne(has looked good to me and Miami is improving talent-wise). I had tried to trade him but nobody really wanted him.Seeing him play on MNF has me wondering whether that was the right move going forward. But he is so hard to predict with his inconsistency. The troubling part about the Bears-Broncos trade(just from a FF perspective) is that the Bears don't have the draft picks to help build the team around him next year, so it will be another year to start assembling the talent. His release reminds me of Jeff George in a way. He certainly has a quick release and a gun for an arm.
I think he still has plenty of dynasty value. 26 INTs this year is bad, but he still has 23 TD passes (and has thrown 77 TD passes in 52 career NFL games, nearly 1.5 TD passes per start, which is pretty darn good), and on a team with no running game and a cast of nobodies at WR (no real number 1 WR, and mostly WRs who be lucky to be number 2 on many teams). Cutler still has a ton of maturing to do, and needs to progress greatly after regressing badly at times this year, but his upside is still too high to just give up on him; Monday night showed how good he can be when getting good protection and when making good decisions. What moves the Bears make in the offseason, especially in regards to their offensive line and offensive coaches, will greatly dictate how well the Bears offense and Cutler do next season.
I agree with you. I think the decision I made will end up being the wrong one.

Clifton said:
chook said:
Clifton said:
What on earth are you smoking? Read my post again, read your reply, then see if it fits.Methinks it doesn't, space cadet.

Clifton said:
chook said:
Clifton said:
What on earth are you smoking? Read my post again, read your reply, then see if it fits.Methinks it doesn't, space cadet.
Fits perfectly, Hoss.

Through 15 games, he's still in at QB12 in my league this year after being QB4 in 2008 and QB11 in 2007.

Where did you all draft Cutler that you are THIS disappointed? First year, new offense, starting receivers who had never even caught an NFL pass before... I have to trust nobody expected him to repeat QB4 numbers in his first year with this crew. Even the most optimistic FBG analyst wasn't expecting another 4526 yard season. Frankly, he got you QB12 numbers at a QB12 price. If you have owned him in a dynasty league from the beginning, here's another thing he's gotten you: 53 straight starts.

TOP 32 through 15 games

Rodgers

Brees

Manning

Schaub

Brady

Rivers

Favre

Romo

Roethlisberger

E. Manning

Warner

Cutler

McNabb

Palmer

Flacco

Campbell

Orton

Garrard

Ryan

Cassel

Hasselbeck

Henne

Smith

Sanchez

Stafford

Young

Freeman

Delhomme

Quinn

Fitzpatrick

Bulger

Edwards

These last 2 games had to do worlds of good for his confidence.

He now has more Td's than INT's.

Aromashodu + Olsen + Bennett + Knox + Hester are not that bad.

I still think the O-line needs improvement so that they can have a more balanced attack.

They need to be able to establish the run.

Feeling pretty good about him right now, but I think that's just because he was so terrible all year, that I'm happy with even a good performance 2 weeks in a row. Who knows how the offseason will unfold this time.

These last 2 games had to do worlds of good for his confidence.He now has more Td's than INT's.Aromashodu + Olsen + Bennett + Knox + Hester are not that bad.I still think the O-line needs improvement so that they can have a more balanced attack.They need to be able to establish the run.
:goodposting: All these things. Chicago could turn it around pretty quickly with the right moves on the OL and D.

He made too many mistakes this season, but his improved play at the end has to make the Bears and their fans hope that he has turned the corner. 26 INTs is waaaaaaaay too many, but throwing 27 TD passes on a team with a cast of nobodies at WR and no running game is fairly impressive.

I suddenly feel much, much better.

Report: Bears fire Ron TurnerPosted by Mike Florio on January 5, 2010 12:05 PM ETIn a season that could end with Norv Turner being named the NFL's coach of the year, his big brother has coached for his final year in Chicago.The Bears have fired offensive coordinator Ron Turner, according to Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune.The long-rumored move comes as no surprise; someone had to take the fall for quarterback Jay Cutler's horrendous performance in his first year with the Bears, and with neither G.M. Jerry Angelo nor coach Lovie Smith on the chopping block, Turner was the obvious scapegoat.We're told that the rest of the offensive staff also has been fired, clearing a path for the new offensive coordinator to start from scratch.The obvious candidate? USC offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, who served as Cutler's position coach in Denver.

I still don't see how Chicago gets better in the next 2 years given the draft picks and talent that they gave up for Cutler.

I guess the WRs could get a little better but the OLine, RB and overall defense will suffer.

I still don't see how Chicago gets better in the next 2 years given the draft picks and talent that they gave up for Cutler.I guess the WRs could get a little better but the OLine, RB and overall defense will suffer.
I read a report that Forte suffered a sprained MCL in week 3....that would makes sense for his lack of explosiveness this year.

I still don't see how Chicago gets better in the next 2 years given the draft picks and talent that they gave up for Cutler.
agreed, they are fighting with Detroit the next couple years for 3rd place in the north.

I guess the WRs could get a little better but the OLine, RB and overall defense will suffer.
I don't agree. Granted, they have less margin for error, with having less draft picks, but with all of the problems they had this year, they still went 7-9, which isn't that bad. They need to maximize the draft picks they do have, make some good free agent signings, and hire some good offensive coaches, and they could easily be a playoff team next year or the year after.

I don't agree. Granted, they have less margin for error, with having less draft picks, but with all of the problems they had this year, they still went 7-9, which isn't that bad. They need to maximize the draft picks they do have, make some good free agent signings, and hire some good offensive coaches, and they could easily be a playoff team next year or the year after.
Well, their track record doesn't give much hope for that, does it?

When you play one of the easiest schedules out there...it helps going 7-9.Sincerely,

A Packer fan who realizes that it helped the Packers win 11 games this year.

Well, their track record doesn't give much hope for that, does it?
Who's track record switz? The Bears or Angelo?1st round picks(David Terrell, Marc Columbo, Michael Haynes, Rex Grossman, Tommie Harris, Cedric Benson, Greg Olsen, Chris Williams)

2nd round picks(Anthony Thomas, Charles Tillman, Tank Johnson, Mark Bradley, Daniel Manning, Devin Hester, Dan Bazuin, Matt Forte)

3rd Round picks(Mike Gandy, Roosevelt Williams, Terrance Metcalf, Lance Briggs, Bernard Berrian, Dusty Dvorchek, Garrett Wolfe, Michael Okwo, Earl Bennett, Marcus Harrison, Jarron Gilbert, Juaquin Iglesius)

Other notables: Alex Brown(4th), Bobby Wade(5th), Justin Gage(5th), Nathan Vasher(4th), Kyle Orton(4th), Chris Harris(6th), Jamar Williams(4th), Mark Anderson(5th), Zach Bowman(5th), Johnny Knox(5th), Al Afalava(6th).

I believe the biggest problem in Chicago has been developing talent and coaching....lots of players making a difference after they leave Chicago.

He did about as well as I expected given it was his first year in a new system/new team. I expect much better #'s next season, assuming the Bears can protect him a little better than they did this season.

The 27 TD's were a little higher than I projected( I saw him around 22-25) and the 26 picks as well(18-20)...Next season, with improvement from his ridiculously young WR core and the OL(the left side will be fine, imo)...I see around 28-30 TD with 18-20 picks...excellent #'s for FF purposes.

His real NFL worth will not be know till at least the second/third season in the new system the Bear will intall next year.

When you play one of the easiest schedules out there...it helps going 7-9.Sincerely,

I haven't seen their strength of schedule now that the season is over, but they did go 2-8 against teams with winning records. 10 games against winning teams isn't that easy. And some of those losses were close games (both GB games, Atl, SF and Philly), so they are not that far away. Better coaching alone will make Cutler play better, and that could have made a difference in several games this year. They need some help, regardless.

agreed, they are fighting with Detroit the next couple years for 3rd place in the north.
And who is going to be your QB for next year and beyond? I will take Cutler for the next 15 year compared to your situation where you will have Tavaris Jackson most likely next year. Favre is already having issues. Even if he comes back next year, there is no guarantee he will produce like this year.

At the end of the year the OL started gelling a lot more. Omiyale (1st year as starter for a season) and Chris Williams (first year as starter for season) played much better at the end of the year. Players do improve from their 1st to 2nd year....

Add to that the development and improvement in chemistry between Cutler and his WRs and TEs, Forte (played with sprained MCL all year) and Tommie Harris getting healthier (he looked much better in 2nd half of the year) and the return of Urlacher at MLB, and it does not look so bad suddenly.

I haven't seen their strength of schedule now that the season is over, but they did go 2-8 against teams with winning records. 10 games against winning teams isn't that easy. And some of those losses were close games (both GB games, Atl, SF and Philly), so they are not that far away. Better coaching alone will make Cutler play better, and that could have made a difference in several games this year. They need some help, regardless.
Well...4 of those 10 games were Minnesota and Green Bay for sure.But I know Green Bay's schedule was easy, and the only differences in it vs the Bears were the 2 games (Chicago got Philly, GB got Dallas....GB got Tampa and Chicago got Atlanta).

Playing Detroit twice and getting the NFC West is part of that easy schedule. Plus Cleveland....Balt and PItt were not quite as tough as first thought either.

It was not super easy...but it was hardly anything that difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread