What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (10 Viewers)

Wacthed a decent French movie last night entitled "A Prophet". Sorry if it had been mentioned before.

Good prison movie about walking the fine line between keeping yourself alive, respecting your faith, and gaining respect. 2.5 hours long but it works.

Wacthed a decent French movie last night entitled "A Prophet". Sorry if it had been mentioned before.Good prison movie about walking the fine line between keeping yourself alive, respecting your faith, and gaining respect. 2.5 hours long but it works.
More like spectacular prison movie, one of the best of all time.

Wacthed a decent French movie last night entitled "A Prophet". Sorry if it had been mentioned before.Good prison movie about walking the fine line between keeping yourself alive, respecting your faith, and gaining respect. 2.5 hours long but it works.
More like spectacular prison movie, one of the best of all time.
Well I'm not sure about best all time I would need to rewatch it a few more times to see if deserves mention with The Great Escape, Shawshank, Papillon, Longest Yard (original of course), Bridge on the River Kwai, Midnight Express, American History X, Green Mile, Stalag 17, Blood In Blood Out, American Me, Stir Crazy (oh yes I did) etc.But still Un Prophete is an excellent film worthy of it's academy nomination last year.

If you've never seen The Warriors (1979), you should. I mention it because it is expiring from Instant on March 1.

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/115134
I love this movie. I am not sure if it is merely a guilty pleasure of just truly awesome. Either way I will watch it whenever it is on.
There's also a Tony Scott remake in the works, release scheduled for Summer 2011.http://warriorsmovie.co.uk/new-movie/

(this site says release date unknown, but I saw Summer 2011 on another site)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've never seen The Warriors (1979), you should. I mention it because it is expiring from Instant on March 1.

I love this movie. I am not sure if it is merely a guilty pleasure of just truly awesome. Either way I will watch it whenever it is on.
There's also a Tony Scott remake in the works, release scheduled for Summer 2011.http://warriorsmovie.co.uk/new-movie/

BOOOOOOOOO Tony Scott BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

BOOOOOOOOO Tony Scott BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
LOL. Yeah, well... Remakes usually suck anyway, but it'll be interesting to see what it looks like.

Signed up for the free month. Been really enjoying the Spartacus series as well as the Vice Guide to Travel series. Man they go to some wild places on that... :blackdot:

Twelve and Holding

I've been periodically checking this thread and adding titles so I'm not sure if this is how it ended up in my queue but I went back a few pages and didn't see it mentioned. At any rate, I highly recommend this movie. It's a story about three adolescents coping with the death of their friend/sibling in their own separate ways. The acting was top notch as all the children put forth great performances, and if you've become a fan of Jeremy Renner's work recently as I have, he was once again fantastic. It's a pretty dark movie with a very intense ending, but there's brief bits of comedy mixed in and it's very well paced. I will say though that one scene in particular left me more uncomfortable than I can ever remember watching a movie, and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about if you watch it.

My wife is way into Firefly. She exiled me to the other TV for several hours of forced sports-watching this weekend so she could watch it. Is it that good?
I really enjoyed it. Very good writing and clever dialogue characteristic of Joss Whedon. Interesting premise and the story/character arcs have solid foundation. On the downside it did not have much of a budget so the production values are kind of low and it didn't last even a whole season so I think some of the fanfare is based upon it's unrealized potential, which was significant.
I agree, hard to say it would have turned out as great as people think it would have. Even as awesome as Buffy & Angel were, they still had some bad stretches. There are a few clunky episodes, but for a show that only got 10 or so episodes before being cancelled, it showed huge promise. I loved it.
Same thing can be said about Dollhouse. Why do networks keep shortchanging Joss Whedon? The guy's work takes time to take root, but once it does (see Buffy), the fanbase is rabid and devoted and ratings will rise.

Again though, it stinks not being able to stream new movies. Some of the box office misses should be available more. I love the Goodfellas SE that is streaming but that movie is over 20 years old.
You're not gonna get new DVD releases for a $7 a month all-inclusive subscription. But they're all available on demand from services like Amazon on Demand for like $5 apiece in HD. Just dump your pay cable movie channels and pay only for what you watch. Wave of the future, dude.
Brings about a good question. What would you pay for an all-inclusive Netflix subsciption?I pay 18 bucks a month to Netflix for 3 discs and the ability to watch streaming on three devices at once and we have cut the cord and gone 2 years now without cable or satelite TV. (And trust me, with a 6 year old and a 2 year old, we are pretty much streaming from the Xbox, the Wii, and from someone's laptop or phone constantly). I know that I would double that if I could get all of the entire Netflix library, new releases and all, on streaming.Netflix is still paying more in postage than in broadband per movie, so it has to be something they are considering. Maybe a tier plan on how much you could stream per month?
I'm not an expert in the business of Hollywood, but I just don't see how that would make business sense for the studios. They're going to want to get individual buys of movies for as long as possible- first in the theaters, then the on demand/DVD stage. After that they can get good money for their initial deals with the pay movie channels. Only after those have been largely exhausted do they throw their recent libraries into their Netflix-type deals. Netflix would have to make huge offers to compensate for the loss of all that revenue. I have no idea how huge, but I doubt doubling their membership fees would cover it.
There's another Netflix thread (or maybe it's in here) where Reed Hastings talks about the fact that Netflix pays like $600 million in postage in each year and would gladly just pay at least that directly to the movie studios.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched The Parking Lot Movie last night. Thumbs up if you like documentaries.Over the course of three years, filmmaker Meghan Eckman tracked the comings and goings of a solitary parking lot in Charlottesville, Va., chronicling the lives of the attendants who were working there. This inspiring documentary is the result.
:thumbup:
Totally agree!!
I currently live in Cville and park there regularly! ....until I saw this movie.

Again though, it stinks not being able to stream new movies. Some of the box office misses should be available more. I love the Goodfellas SE that is streaming but that movie is over 20 years old.
You're not gonna get new DVD releases for a $7 a month all-inclusive subscription. But they're all available on demand from services like Amazon on Demand for like $5 apiece in HD. Just dump your pay cable movie channels and pay only for what you watch. Wave of the future, dude.
Brings about a good question. What would you pay for an all-inclusive Netflix subsciption?I pay 18 bucks a month to Netflix for 3 discs and the ability to watch streaming on three devices at once and we have cut the cord and gone 2 years now without cable or satelite TV. (And trust me, with a 6 year old and a 2 year old, we are pretty much streaming from the Xbox, the Wii, and from someone's laptop or phone constantly). I know that I would double that if I could get all of the entire Netflix library, new releases and all, on streaming.Netflix is still paying more in postage than in broadband per movie, so it has to be something they are considering. Maybe a tier plan on how much you could stream per month?
I'm not an expert in the business of Hollywood, but I just don't see how that would make business sense for the studios. They're going to want to get individual buys of movies for as long as possible- first in the theaters, then the on demand/DVD stage. After that they can get good money for their initial deals with the pay movie channels. Only after those have been largely exhausted do they throw their recent libraries into their Netflix-type deals. Netflix would have to make huge offers to compensate for the loss of all that revenue. I have no idea how huge, but I doubt doubling their membership fees would cover it.
There's another Netflix thread (or maybe it's in here) where Reed Hastings talks about the fact that Netflix pays like $600 million in postage in each year and would gladly just pay at least that directly to the movie studios.
$600 million divided among all of the studios? They'd lose money hand over fist.

signed up this week.

just watched Astroboy with the kids, good stuff.

older episodes of Spiderman and Justice League are great.

buck rodgers was a trip to watch again, pretty hot bikini space girl in 1st episode too

Emergency was a fun fun ride back in time.

lots of good guilty pleasures here. might pay the $2 to get DVDs too (and drop DirecTV). cancelled HBO yesterday.

Warrior said:
Please See Mine said:
$600 million divided among all of the studios? They'd lose money hand over fist.
in addition to what they already receive?whatever the final figure would be, how can Netflix be unable to make the total revenue to the studios equal for the rights to stream rather than physical dvd's? If Netflix buys 50 copies of a movie at $20 also cut down i a pop, why not just pay $1,000 for the right to stream it instead?

Warrior said:
Watched The Parking Lot Movie last night. Thumbs up if you like documentaries.Over the course of three years, filmmaker Meghan Eckman tracked the comings and goings of a solitary parking lot in Charlottesville, Va., chronicling the lives of the attendants who were working there. This inspiring documentary is the result.
:wall:
Totally agree!!
I currently live in Cville and park there regularly! ....until I saw this movie.
I just watched it and liked it.Why won't you park there anymore?

Trust Us, This Is All Made Up

"This wholly entertaining documentary showcases the mad improvisational skills of Second City alumni T.J. Jagodowski and David Pasquesi, who use their talents to spontaneously create original characters and fabricate hilarious situations on the spot. Featuring a performance recorded at the Barrow Street Theater in New York City, the film delves into the duo's dynamics and the mutual trust that is the foundation for their success as improv artists."

You'll probably recognize these guys from Sonic commercials. Great documentary if you like improv.

Wife and I are about halfway through Firefly and both are loving it. I really should be kicking myself for not getting in on this earlier.

We have also gone back and started The Office (US) from the start. We were faithful watchers when it first came out, but have missed the last couple of seasons. The sitcom is great on Streaming, with no commercials you knock out an episode in 20-22 minutes. Bite-size entertainment.

Need help with some TV series for my wife.She just finished Psych, Monk and pretty much got burned out on X-Files. She sees to like those USA channel procedural dramas. She is a fan of the CSIs, NCIS, Criminal Minds type shows as well.Any hidden gems like that that I can suggest to her. I am already going to have her try Firefly and BSG, but not sure she is going to like them. She tried Sliders last night and didn't make it through the first episode.
24 is a good series. Should keep her pretty busy as they have 7 seasons streaming now.

Weird thing happening to me of late: any time I find something that is "DVD only" on my xbox it does not give me the option to add it to the dvd queue and on the Netflix app on my iPhone when I select "add to DVD queue" when I later check my queue on the website, the movie is not there. I am, however, able to add the movies on the Netflix website.

Any ideas of why this is happening? It's happened with both new and old movies.

Weird thing happening to me of late: any time I find something that is "DVD only" on my xbox it does not give me the option to add it to the dvd queue and on the Netflix app on my iPhone when I select "add to DVD queue" when I later check my queue on the website, the movie is not there. I am, however, able to add the movies on the Netflix website.

LinkInstall the Flixster app, and link it to your Netflix account. You can still manage your dvd queue there.

LinkInstall the Flixster app, and link it to your Netflix account. You can still manage your dvd queue there.
Wow, what a ######ed decision by Netflix there.

I'm a big fan of foreign movies and netflix is feeding my addiction nicely.Just saw Roman de Gare and I highly recommend it.Beautiful French scenery and a building storyline that will keep you guessing. Solid performances all around.
i second thisjust watched it based on this recommendation & liked it quite a bit.

So use Flixster to add movies to your DVD and instant queues and the Netflix app strictly for viewing streaming content. Seems Netflix is missing out on advertising potential with less use of their app with this move. I guess they want less DVDs in the mail.

Have no idea why but Im hooked on the TV shows LA Ink and Miami Ink. Watched 4 straight episodes of LA Ink on instant streaming tonight. Tattoo artists fascinate me.

Just finished watching Vice Guide To Travel and gotta say the last one about Liberia was totally insane. They were lucky to get out of that place alive in several instances. Highly recommend, wish it were more than 8 episodes. :yes:

Trust Us, This Is All Made Up"This wholly entertaining documentary showcases the mad improvisational skills of Second City alumni T.J. Jagodowski and David Pasquesi, who use their talents to spontaneously create original characters and fabricate hilarious situations on the spot. Featuring a performance recorded at the Barrow Street Theater in New York City, the film delves into the duo's dynamics and the mutual trust that is the foundation for their success as improv artists."You'll probably recognize these guys from Sonic commercials. Great documentary if you like improv.
The idea was good and I love documentaries. But can someone please tell these documentarians how irritating it is to have side by side going on 20 minutes. It seems very schlocky and film schoolish to me. Funny guys.

My wife is way into Firefly. She exiled me to the other TV for several hours of forced sports-watching this weekend so she could watch it. Is it that good?
I really enjoyed it. Very good writing and clever dialogue characteristic of Joss Whedon. Interesting premise and the story/character arcs have solid foundation. On the downside it did not have much of a budget so the production values are kind of low and it didn't last even a whole season so I think some of the fanfare is based upon it's unrealized potential, which was significant.
I agree, hard to say it would have turned out as great as people think it would have. Even as awesome as Buffy & Angel were, they still had some bad stretches. There are a few clunky episodes, but for a show that only got 10 or so episodes before being cancelled, it showed huge promise. I loved it.
Serenity is on there too(movie version).

Users who are viewing this thread