What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (12 Viewers)

Free agency isn't loaded with Joe Montanas.  Sam 'might' be the best option for what we want/need a veteran turor/place holder for a year or two.  We absolutely need a veteran presence in the QB room this year.
I didn't mention Bradford's ability at all.  I mentioned that the Browns should bring in a vet QB days ago in this thread.   But, you have to at least choose a vet that isn't broken down and can actually be on the field on Sunday's or the Browns will be right back where they were this year.    

I like the idea of trading for Alex Smith and letting him go for a year or two while the heir apparent learns/grows (whether it's Darnold, Mayfield, or Allen - just no "broken glass" Rosen).  A 2nd rnd pick should be enough to get Smith, and any of the three mentioned will be available with Cleveland's first two picks.  If Dorsey is as knowledgeable as folks around the league say he is, then this could be a turning point for this franchise.
If you're gonna do that just stick with Kizer.  Maybe he plays better and grows some trade value.  You've already burned a 2nd rounder on Kizer and 1.01 on the stud, don't blow another 2nd on Smith who only has one year left on his contract.  Sign a cheap vet that can teach the kid how to watch film and take coaching points because God knows Hue isn't going to do that.  McCown would be ideal if it weren't such an ironic concept.  Ryan Fitzpatrick maybe.

It's been WIDELY reported that the Browns have talked and made offers to NE about JG since Sashi took over, so I'm not sure how you can say the Browns never once, not a single time, tried to get JG.  I'm sorry you've only paid attention to Hue's leaky ### in October.
#truth The Browns were hot for JG but got shown the door. Again, I still believe Bill did it out of spite. There was no team poised to make a better offer than the Browns with the draft picks they have stockpiled and there is no team that does more with draft picks than NE, a seeming match mad in heaven.

Bradford-yeah good luck with that. Ask all the other teams how that worked out. He is done as a starter. 

A. Smth-Smith has maybe 3-4 years left in his career. He has plenty of $$$ in the bank, do you really think he is going to give up on a championship to chase cash??

McCown-I don't think he will be jumping to come back, and the Jets will like keep him. 

Fitzmagic-really is that what you think helps the browns?  :no:

Any QB who takes a bucket of case to come to the Browns has given up on a championship, is that who you want?

Such a mess...if only you could have gotten Wentz or Watson......oh wait you could have.... :wall:

Hankmoody said:
If you're gonna do that just stick with Kizer.  Maybe he plays better and grows some trade value.  You've already burned a 2nd rounder on Kizer and 1.01 on the stud, don't blow another 2nd on Smith who only has one year left on his contract.  Sign a cheap vet that can teach the kid how to watch film and take coaching points because God knows Hue isn't going to do that.  McCown would be ideal if it weren't such an ironic concept.  Ryan Fitzpatrick maybe.
We have 3 2nd rnd picks, of which I think we can burn one on Smith who has a few years left in the tank.  Even if he stays with us for a year, that's all we would need in order for the younger QB to learn.  I'd rather have Darnold/Mayfield and Kizer, over just Kizer.  Let the young QBs fight it out for the starting spot after Smith is gone.  We've done the cheap vets and they haven't gotten us anywhere.  If we spend the $$ on Cousins, then I don't see CLE drafting a QB in the 1st rnd.  I'm not a fan of that idea, but it's one being sent around.  I'd rather have someone proven who can get the job done that is willing to train the next QB in waiting.  Hell, if Manning is shown the door - go get him.  I completely agree that Hue won't do that, or most likely can't do that, so I'd rather find someone proven that can do that and is willing.

hoffman0001 said:
if only you could have gotten Wentz or Watson......oh wait you could have....
THAT is your take?  How weak and sad. 

You are trolling Browns fans.  We walk over steaming piles like you every day. 

Your not worth scorn. 

You are a perfect inept anachronistic %^&*@!.

On how much of the Browns’ decision was based on what occurred at the trade deadline:

Haslam: “Zero. Zero.”

On Brown not being able to execute the trade:

Haslam: “I will place that way more on me than on Sashi. We were having a conversation. I probably pushed the question-asking further than I should. I do not blame that on Sashi. I think we decided to push the go button later than we should. I think Sashi [was publicly criticized] way too much. I want to make clear, that had nothing to do with this decision.”

and

On if Jackson will return in 2018 regardless of how the current season finishes:

Haslam: “Yeah, absolutely. I think it would be a mistake to just zero in on ’18. We are planning on Hue Jackson being our football coach for a long time and he and John working closely together for a long time.”

With The Browns hiring an OC and QB coach maybe Hue is the new Jason Garrett. The owner sticks by him no matter what.

Bracie Smathers said:
A free agent QB signs for many reasons and the top reason is money.

Minnesota has three QBs who can start and ALL OF THEM are unrestricted free agents.  

The one with the most experience, Sam Bradford is on his third team and his contract is/was at $18 million+.

Only two teams have the sort of cap space to sign him, San Francisco and Cleveland who rank #1 and #2 in available cap space.

No other team that needs a starting caliber QB can compete with Cleveland if they want Bradford.

Sam would be a perfect veteran tutor/place holder for a rookie for a year or two and he'd 'likely' get a two year prove-it deal just as he did in Minnesota who can't afford to resign him or they'd lose Keenum or Teddy.
You're assuming they want to keep Teddy. I don't know that. You don't know that.

Logic will have it they cannot pay for more than one. But what has Teddy done for them lately?

Personally I think they ditch both Teddy and Sam if Case has a decent showing in the playoffs

THAT is your take?  How weak and sad. 

You are trolling Browns fans.  We walk over steaming piles like you every day. 

Your not worth scorn. 

You are a perfect inept anachronistic %^&*@!.
Yes, my take is your team has had the ability to fix this train wreck of a team and keep failing. If you want to stick your head in the sand and ignore reality, that's your choice. Just keep supporting a bad organization that can't get out of it's own way.... :wall:

beer 30 said:
#truth The Browns were hot for JG but got shown the door. Again, I still believe Bill did it out of spite. There was no team poised to make a better offer than the Browns with the draft picks they have stockpiled and there is no team that does more with draft picks than NE, a seeming match mad in heaven.
I actually think Bellichik didn't do it out of spite - he did it because he wants Jimmy to be successful.  He doesn't believe Jimmy will be given a chance to be successful here.  So he sold him at a reduced rate to anyone else.

BassNBrew said:
Players that win games?
???? Even after the deal they had like 70 million in cap room that they didnt spend.

Its rather OBVIOUS they would not have used that 16 million for players to win "now".  However, they now have pick 35 for "free".

BassNBrew said:
Players that win games?
???? Even after the deal they had like 70 million in cap room that they didnt spend.

Its rather OBVIOUS they would not have used that 16 million for players to win "now".  However, they now have pick 35 for "free".

You're assuming they want to keep Teddy. I don't know that. You don't know that.

Logic will have it they cannot pay for more than one. But what has Teddy done for them lately?

Personally I think they ditch both Teddy and Sam if Case has a decent showing in the playoffs
Iirc Teddy was vocal in the pre and post draft process about not wanting to come here too. 

Joe Thomas giving honest interview...

Link

Basically he understood they were tanking on purpose...just interesting hearing a player say it out loud.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not sure of how it works, but Browns may have incured a financial penalty for not meeting league min salary anyhow. So maybe it really didn't cost them $16mil

Not sure of how it works, but Browns may have incured a financial penalty for not meeting league min salary anyhow. So maybe it really didn't cost them $16mil
That too.  Meeting the salary cap floor.

Guys, its very obvious sashi was not trying to win in 2016 or 2017.  However had he beed retained that plan would have changed for 2018 with so much draft capital and cap space going into year 3.  

The part on why the trade didn't happen perhaps. The fact that the Browns contacted the Patriots repeatedly about a trade isn't. This was just one article. A simple google search returns dozens.
""They tried, apparently, this fall,"

"Schefter theorized that the Patriots knew they had to move Garoppolo before the trade deadline,"  So Shefter has nothing but conjecture about the trade deadline.

""They tried, apparently, this fall,"

"Schefter theorized that the Patriots knew they had to move Garoppolo before the trade deadline,"  So Shefter has nothing but conjecture about the trade deadline.
You being obtuse on purpose?

It was also "speculation" they dealt with the 49ers to be able to get Hoyer.  I bet you called that pure conjecture.......till it happened.  

Its pretty obvious the browns made offers for a QB at the deadline, but accoring to you it seems like the browns just forgot about JG eh?  Yeah, sounds super likely.

You being obtuse on purpose?

It was also "speculation" they dealt with the 49ers to be able to get Hoyer.  I bet you called that pure conjecture.......till it happened.  

Its pretty obvious the browns made offers for a QB at the deadline, but accoring to you it seems like the browns just forgot about JG eh?  Yeah, sounds super likely.
It's not at all obtuse to use the actual words from the article.  What is obtuse is not paying attention to what I've been saying and just making your own stuff up.  I don't think they forgot about JG, I think Sashi fell asleep at the wheel by making an assumption he wasn't available and never making an offer.  I haven't seen one credible source imply Cleveland had any contact with NEP at the trade deadline, have you?  Show me a single one if you can.

It's not at all obtuse to use the actual words from the article.  What is obtuse is not paying attention to what I've been saying and just making your own stuff up.  I don't think they forgot about JG, I think Sashi fell asleep at the wheel by making an assumption he wasn't available and never making an offer.  I haven't seen one credible source imply Cleveland had any contact with NEP at the trade deadline, have you?  Show me a single one if you can.
So which teams did contact NE about JG at the deadline?  Please show me credible sources of every team who made an offer or had contact.

More to come after your reply.

I'm always amazed how easily pure speculation becomes fact in some people's minds.  It would be nice to see "This is how I add things up..." or even "IMO...". 

So which teams did contact NE about JG at the deadline?  Please show me credible sources of every team who made an offer or had contact.

More to come after your reply.
What does that have to do with anything?  There's no reason to keep responding to you if you aren't going to stick to what I wrote.  I haven't said anything about any other team.

What does that have to do with anything?  There's no reason to keep responding to you if you aren't going to stick to what I wrote.  I haven't said anything about any other team.
I guess that's his point.  IF "Sashi fell asleep", there wouldn't be any evidence, would there?  (Unless you were there, onsite, with him or the Pats.)  The same holds if he DID make a call.

Exactly.  The ONLY team we heard anything about was san fran, who happened to have Hoyer, who happens to be in the NFC, who happens to have guys the Pats are familiar with for negotiations.

Unless of course you are saying all the other teams who wanted JG also fell asleep at the wheel.

I guess that's his point.  IF "Sashi fell asleep", there wouldn't be any evidence, would there?  (Unless you were there, onsite, with him or the Pats.)  The same holds if he DID make a call.
I'm going by the reports that Sashi didn't even know Garoppolo was available for trade.  It would be kind of hard for him to not know that if he had been in contact with them.  He left the office at 5:00 on the day the trade was made and while yes, he could conceivably have had his cellphone to make calls, you can't tell me he was in the best possible position to do business.  This isn't some entrepreneur running a local taco truck, this is a guy with an Executive Vice President title with one of the 32 most prestigious football entities in the entire world (cue the Ohio State/Alabama jokes!).  It's inexcusable to not be all on top of things like that.

If you need NSA satellite coverage of Sashi's activities for the 48 hours preceding the trade deadline then no, sorry, I can't release that to you.

Exactly.  The ONLY team we heard anything about was san f
Not really, because we also heard about the Browns, and that Sashi wasn't in the building and wasn't aware JG was even available.  Look if you want to give the guy running the worst NFL team in the world a pass feel free.  But me, I expect someone in that position to be making every possible effort to improve the team.  Leaving at 5:00 and not even being aware a coveted guy was available doesn't meet my expectations. 

I'm going by the reports that Sashi didn't even know Garoppolo was available for trade.  It would be kind of hard for him to not know that if he had been in contact with them.  He left the office at 5:00 on the day the trade was made and while yes, he could conceivably have had his cellphone to make calls, you can't tell me he was in the best possible position to do business.  This isn't some entrepreneur running a local taco truck, this is a guy with an Executive Vice President title with one of the 32 most prestigious football entities in the entire world (cue the Ohio State/Alabama jokes!).  It's inexcusable to not be all on top of things like that.

If you need NSA satellite coverage of Sashi's activities for the 48 hours preceding the trade deadline then no, sorry, I can't release that to you.

Not really, because we also heard about the Browns, and that Sashi wasn't in the building and wasn't aware JG was even available.  Look if you want to give the guy running the worst NFL team in the world a pass feel free.  But me, I expect someone in that position to be making every possible effort to improve the team.  Leaving at 5:00 and not even being aware a coveted guy was available doesn't meet my expectations. 
Lol.  How is this not making sense to you??  

I gave up.

Even the ESPN story that everyone is talking about today essentially says BB picked up the phone (because he was told to) and struck a deal with Kyle without going back to any of the other teams that were ever after JG (ya know, the teams that were told JG is off limits).  Most of the information on this subject, gathered from a variety of sources and articles, lead down one particular path.  But hey, there's gonna be people that think the Browns front office just "fell asleep at the wheel" and there's nothing anyone will be able to do about that.

Two weeks before the Nov. 1 trading deadline, Belichick met with Kraft to discuss the quarterback situation. According to staffers, the meeting ran long, lasting half the day and pushing back Belichick's other meetings. The office was buzzing. The meeting ended with a clear mandate to Belichick: trade Garoppolo because he would not be in the team's long-term plans, and then, once again, find the best quarterback in the draft and develop him. Belichick was furious and demoralized, according to friends. But in the end, he did what he asks of his players and coaches: He did his job. One morning in late October, Belichick texted San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan and asked him to call. Belichick had long admired Kyle's father, Mike, who not only had been one of the NFL's smartest tacticians but had also personally defended Belichick to commissioner Roger Goodell during the Spygate scandal. At the combine this past February, Kyle, weeks into the 49ers job after being the offensive coordinator for the Falcons, met with Belichick for hours to learn from his team's humiliating Super Bowl loss. Belichick believed that Garoppolo would excel under Shanahan, and when he and Shanahan connected on the phone, Belichick offered the quarterback for a second-rounder.

It was a steal, leaving Patriots staffers stunned and confused. Why would the game's shrewdest long-term strategist trade two backup quarterbacks in a two-month span when his starter was 40 years old and banged up? And why did Belichick practically give away a quarterback whom the coaches saw as a potential top-10 player for much less than he could have gotten last spring? It made no sense. Belichick handled the trade as he always does, by not explaining it to the coaches and by burying them so deep in work that they didn't have time to gossip. Most in the organization understood that it was an extreme case, with extreme personalities, but they felt that Belichick had earned the right to make football decisions. Belichick, having always subscribed to the philosophy that it's time to go once an owner gets involved in football decisions, left the impression with some friends that the current dynamic was unsustainable.

I'm always amazed how easily pure speculation becomes fact in some people's minds.  It would be nice to see "This is how I add things up..." or even "IMO...". 
hoffman recently tried that. I think you still see his head on a pike in front of the stadium.

Serious question, anyone going to the parade tomorrow?
Was going to ask that as well. More curious than anything, not my cup of tea.

No parade for me.  I don't get the intrigue.  And it's possibly going to be the coldest night of the year tonight and I assume that thing starts in the AM?

You people sure are dense.  I am not talking about what BB did, I am talking about what Sashi didn't do.  He should have been calling NEP every week "hey, just checking in, I'm still looking for a QB as he trade deadline approaches, let me know if something can be done".    If BB was willing to go scorched earth trading the guy for nothing, why weren't the Browns the ones in position to capitalize?  Why wasn't he offering more?  Hell they offered a 2nd and 3rd for the donkey in CIN.  Why did BB have to be the one picking up the phone, why wasn't Sashi the one reaching out to him?  This guy's primary job is to increase talent on the team yet he didn't even try. 

If you think it's acceptable to just sit there (or go home at 5:00) and wait for someone to come offer you a gift horse trade, then it's pretty clear why the franchise is a joke.

You people sure are dense.  I am not talking about what BB did, I am talking about what Sashi didn't do.  He should have been calling NEP every week "hey, just checking in, I'm still looking for a QB as he trade deadline approaches, let me know if something can be done".    If BB was willing to go scorched earth trading the guy for nothing, why weren't the Browns the ones in position to capitalize?  Why wasn't he offering more?  Hell they offered a 2nd and 3rd for the donkey in CIN.  Why did BB have to be the one picking up the phone, why wasn't Sashi the one reaching out to him?  This guy's primary job is to increase talent on the team yet he didn't even try. 

If you think it's acceptable to just sit there (or go home at 5:00) and wait for someone to come offer you a gift horse trade, then it's pretty clear why the franchise is a joke.
That is not an analytical approach though.

Users who are viewing this thread