What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (4 Viewers)

Did anyone catch our buddy Pat on the podium after the game last night?  So good, definitely has not lost it.
:lmao:  

I was waiting to see how long it would take before the NYG offense began to implode.  Eli looks out of place and OBJ is getting frustrated because they aren't throwing downfield.  Yet there's Shurmur standing there mumbling his way through everything.  He did well in MIN last year (better than I thought), but seems to have come back down to Earth this season.

Congrats to Ward for being the Rookie of the Week for Week 5!!

That puts the Browns Rookies at 4 of the last 5 ROW winners! (Mayfield, Chubb, and Ward x2)

Great stuff and truly new leaders on this team!  Was hoping Mayfield and Ward would've ended in a tie this week for the award, but can't go wrong with either one!

Future is looking bright!   :cool:
Add Harrison has been solid and Avery graded out as the highest rated rookie edge rusher to date  this year by PFF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/brentsobleski

Pro Football Focus‏Verified account @PFF

FollowFollow @PFF

Their top two picks are getting all the attention, but the Browns also have the highest graded rookie edge defender through five weeks.

2:16 AM - 12 Oct 2018

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brent Sobleski‏ @brentsobleski 8h8 hours ago

John Dorsey's first rookie class in Cleveland addressed all four premium positions:

1. QB - Mayfield
  2. LT - Harrison
  3. Edge - Avery
  4. CB - Ward

Add Harrison has been solid and Avery graded out as the highest rated rookie edge rusher to date  this year by PFF.

https://twitter.com/brentsobleski

Pro Football Focus‏Verified account @PFF

FollowFollow @PFF

Their top two picks are getting all the attention, but the Browns also have the highest graded rookie edge defender through five weeks.

2:16 AM - 12 Oct 2018

Brent Sobleski‏ @brentsobleski 8h8 hours ago

John Dorsey's first rookie class in Cleveland addressed all four premium positions:

1. QB - Mayfield
  2. LT - Harrison
  3. Edge - Avery
  4. CB - Ward
pretty incredible. 

I hope we smash Rivers and his smug mug.  Need to get to him early and he will have a meltdown. 

Browns 27

Superchargers 20

Any news on the kicker?

I hope we smash Rivers and his smug mug.  Need to get to him early and he will have a meltdown. 

Browns 27

Superchargers 20

Any news on the kicker?
They (LAC) got a new one.  Someone I never heard of.  Hard to believe, but this is the second game this season where Joseph has more experience.

eta:  Mike Badgley

Last edited by a moderator:
Chargers.  I meant Chargers.
they’ll beat the Chargers. 

west coast teams coming to east coast playing at 1pm have a terrible record and the Browns have proven they can play with almost anyone at this point. 

the Chargers are no powerhouse team.  

west coast teams coming to east coast playing at 1pm have a terrible record and the Browns have proven they can play with almost anyone at this point. 

the Chargers are no powerhouse team at this point.  
Hey, I jinxed the purple birds...

the Chargers are no powerhouse team.  
Need more offense, Chargers are one of the best minimizing turnovers. 

Eh.

-----------------------

Adam Schefter✔@AdamSchefter

Browns are signing former Ravens’ first-round pick Breshad Perriman to their active roster today, per source.

11:32 AM - Oct 13, 2018

Breshad Perriman signing with Browns

...Last season, Perriman was ranked 116th out of 116 receivers by ProFooballFocus.com. Ravens fans cheered him in training camp when he caught passes during workouts, and late last season booed him sarcastically when he caught two in the season finale.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, in the 2016 and 2017 seasons Perriman had eight drops for a drop rate of 8.2 percent of all passes thrown to him, giving him the third-highest drop rate in the league.
Hopefully he's a special team demon.

How does signing another WR with dropsies help this team?
Just a warm body I think...and perhaps they get some practices to evaluate a former 1st round pick.  Higgins will be back soon and hopefully Duke (and DeValve) gets more of the game snaps over Streater/Ratley.  

How does signing another WR with dropsies help this team?
Maybe Baker can get him right.  Like it for now.  Perriman is on nfl life support now, and hopefully he'll play like it prayin for another contract w whomever. 

I bet Dez is grippin bout now.

callaway is just trying to be the hero. think as time goes on he'll relax a bit more, stop worrying about 60yd tds every play, and focus on whatever is thrown at him.

i think the kid has MONSTER potential and should realize it pretty well.

hey, over-enthusiastic Cleveland fans that call the radio shows: THAT is what a playoff team looks like.  

it’s ok to be excited about the Browns’ progress, but it’s going to take some time. 

hth.  

Give credit where credit is due, the Chargers are good.  Only losses had been to 5-0 Chiefs and 5-0 Rams.

They could have rung up scores but eased up and ran the clock out on their wins just like they did today.

They good.

We were down to our 5th/6th WR in Damien Radley who performed pretty well.

Duke Johnson had over 100 yards on 2 runs and 4 receptions (on 5 passing targets).

Antonio Callaway 8 yards on 11 targets.  He is weak coming back to the ball just not aggressive enough.

Duke has more than earned more touches.

Landry needs to run his mouth less and do more. He drops too many balls, and Baker's 1st INT looked to be because Landry ran a lazy square-in and drifted too far, which let the DB undercut the route. Calloway's pretty useless. How many touches did Chubb get? How many times do we do 1st down incompletion, followed by second down run play before Haley realizes that it's completely predictable?

PS- Screwed by the officials again. At least we'll get another apology from the league.

Landry's just a short route ham & egger. He's not a #1. This team needs a real #1. Calloway doesn't run routes at full speed.

We continue to score little with short fields thanks to strong D and/or special teams. Left a lot out there today. Offense looked slow and predictable. 

Special teams penalties are still out of control too. 

Remember when the same was said about Chubb?  Still hasn't happened, wouldn't hold my breath for Duke to get more either.
Chubb can't pass protect.

Last week he had 11 snaps with only had 3 carries for 2 yards, why? 

Baltimore knew he can't pass protect and he can't catch the ball so they keyed on him and shut him down.  On his 8 other snaps where he was used on passing downs he NEVER was used in pass protection Haley tried all sorts of gimmicks even split him wide but Baker never even looked in his direction, why?  He SUCKS in pass-pro and can't catch.  On his one attempt at making a reception he easily beat the LB in coverage, Baker hit him in stride but Chubb failed to get his hands up, failed to extend his hands, failed to get his hands in proper 'catch' position.  Result?  Ball bounced off his hands.  

We are struggling enough with our offensive line and Baker can't find anyone to catch the ball so Chubb won't be used until he isn't a liability in pass-pro and/or can be used as a receiver.

Duke can run, can pass protect, and obviously he can catch the ball and they extended his contract so he's getting paid.  Callaway can't catch, Njuko struggles to catch the ball, Landry is playing hurt and is being double/triple teamed, hell if guys like Willies and Ratley are getting and beating single coverage then you know that they are concentrating on stopping Landry and that means we can get easy yards if we just have one decent receiver so play Duke because he had 74 receptions last year and he is great catching the ball and getting YAC once he gets the ball in his hands.  

Doesn't matter if fans are excited about Chubb's running ability this season is all about developing Mayfield and he has to be protected and our offense won't go anywhere unless we have guys who can catch so it is pretty simple, USE DUKE!

3 healthy WRs left on this team.  They need to get creative here.  Move Duke to WR. He's been paid and does great things with the ball in his hands.  Stop looking at him as a COP RB.  Move him out and get him reps this week as a WR.  There may be a small learning curve, but I'm sure he'll pick it up quicker than Joe Schmo off the street.  See what Perriman brings to practice this week.  Kick the tires on a possible trade for Cooper.  I'd stay away from Dez, with the attitude and drops, he's not worth it.  Cooper has some drops, but he's still proven he can be a 1k WR (2 out of 3 years) in this league.  Maybe a change of scenery helps here?  I wouldn't give up much for him (4th rnd?), but try something.  I'd think OAK is a firesale waiting to happen, so give it a shot.  Let's be honest.  We're not going to find a 1k WR with stellar hands sitting on the couch waiting for CLE to call him.  Be a little creative and see what you can do with what you have available to you.  Just do something, because what you have right now at WR isn't working.

3 healthy WRs left on this team.  They need to get creative here.  
Not gonna happen.  Creative is not what Hue does.  We call the same game plan no matter what then expect whoever is out there to make plays.  Using Duke more was obvious even to the most casual observer.  And instead we got Rod Streater.  Then when he got injured we get Duke, right?  No, we get Ratley.  To his credit he played substantially better than the two above him on the depth chart, but it shouldn't have been them getting the increased looks in the first place.  That requires this coaching staff to actually think though.

If I had any faith in this coaching staff I could get behind the justification with Hyde vs. Chubb, but since I don't no benefit of the doubt is given.  If you don't trust him in pass pro, fine, call more quick-game when he's out there.  This offense is not effective with Hyde out there.  It may be with Chubb.  And Duke.  But it would then require the coaching staff to actually think and adapt their game plan.  Which won't happen.

They need to use Duke more, he PASS PROTECTS and can catch.  Hyde is not great at either and Chubb is poor at both.

Per addressing the WR position.

-----------------------------------------

FOX Sports: NFL‏Verified account @NFLonFOX

FollowFollow @NFLonFOX

After already trading Khalil Mack, @JayGlazer reports that the Raiders have been in discussions to trade former first round picks Amari Cooper and Karl Joseph.

-------------------------------------------

Gruden is untouchable with that contract and they traded Mack.   This come from Jay Glazer who is the only reporter left who I trust so I think we 'could' get Amari if we want him.

Amari is inconsistent and I'm sure he'll want to get paid when his contract is up but he's a heck of a lot better than anything we have outside of a healthy Landry and I think Landry is not healthy so right now we have nothing at WR.

Well that was a bit of setback, eh? Wow, they looked like 2016-2017 Browns yesterday.

I would love to hear what Haley & William's think during these games because if Hue is letting those two run their respective sides of the ball, oof. The posts above talking about the offense are spot on, we have no WR's aside from Landry. I said it last week and I'll say it again, stop running your mouth and catch the ball Jarvis. But I get it, that's who he is and what we signed up for. Calloway, I don't know, seems allergic to catching a ball. At least Njoku picked up his game but every single WR has some serious drop problems. WTF knows what's going on with the RB situation and I hope Baker's ankle/knee are good because if it ain't...oof.

My question is what happened to the defense? They looked like wild men the first couple of games, these last 3 games, jeez. Like they're going for a record or something.

My question is what happened to the defense? They looked like wild men the first couple of games, these last 3 games, jeez. Like they're going for a record or something.
I think they just bought into their headlines.  Acted like they had arrived.  When that happens in this league that's when you get curb stomped.  It was evident before hand, but it really went next level after Schobert's injury.  Chargers kept running the same plays that worked earlier and no one was anywhere near the ball.  No one set the edge and those deep were more than a step slow to react, lethal combination.

I think Gregg's scheme and lack of adjustments exacerbates the problem, but that was more on the players than anything.

Anyone else feel that Garrett constantly lining up like he is playing Madden just might not be a good thing?  He gets pushed out of a ton of plays, and he is predictable 

I saw him line up ONCE on the other side and wow, it created a QB hurry.  Imagine that.  

Anyone else feel that Garrett constantly lining up like he is playing Madden just might not be a good thing?  He gets pushed out of a ton of plays, and he is predictable 

I saw him line up ONCE on the other side and wow, it created a QB hurry.  Imagine that.  
Haven't played Madden in years, but when I did I was the FS all the time, so I assume you mean he's out too wide?

I will say I haven't noticed them moving him around as much as I thought they would...inside and outside.  

I think the predictability is more in what his defensive coordinator calls and not what Garrett actually does.  This has been the case with Gregg from the beginning.  Yesterday was a clinic in everything that's wrong with him from a schematic perspective.

Oline isn’t helping Baker and even Hyde who is supposed to be better at pass pro got steamrolled a few times.  

They should probably try rolling Baker out more but now he’s gimpy so that may not work either.

Haley should be more creative but in the end that Oline isn’t holding up their end of the bargain.

I saw at least two TDs go through WRs hands.  Get Baker some help!!!

speaking of help

Browns placed WR Rod Streater on injured reserve with a neck injury, ending his season.

Scarily, Streater has a broken bone in his neck. He does not require surgery, and the Browns expect a full recovery. Streater is not an impact player, but the Browns' receiver corps has been made laughably thin by injuries and trade. Any loss is a big loss.
... yeah that didn't help.

I think the predictability is more in what his defensive coordinator calls and not what Garrett actually does.  This has been the case with Gregg from the beginning.  Yesterday was a clinic in everything that's wrong with him from a schematic perspective.
correct.  I was moreso pointing out that our D coordinator is not doing a good job

Not sayin....just sayin......It's out there......

.@AlbertBreer tells @BullandFox that if #Browns make a move at head coach at some pt, two obvious names would be Josh McDaniels and Lincoln Riley. One darkhorse candidate, Iowa St head coach/NEO native Matt Campbell, "people connected to John Dorsey, really like Matt Campbell."
Campbell would be an intriguing choice.  B12 COY last year, not flashy but also new school coach.  I want no part of McDaniels.  I could support a Riley selection, but I'd still want some separation between HC and OC.

If CLE loses to TB, you have to think the FO is going to have some serious conversations about a replacement.  It may not happen mid-season, but once the season is over that seat is going to get really hot under Hue.

Hue has already doubled his wins from his first two years with the Browns. 

that should be plenty to keep his job safe for another season.  

Hue has already doubled his wins from his first two years with the Browns. 

that should be plenty to keep his job safe for another season.  
I don't think there's a hard win total.  An upward trajectory as the season progresses is the starting point.  If that's not accomplished and Dorsey feels he can upgrade then he's out.  If it is accomplished then it may get more complicated, depending on what sorta coaches Dorsey feels he can bring in.

It's certainly not a story for October 18th though.  Not when you're 2-3-1.  If the next few weeks go badly?  Maybe a good bye week conversation.  Anything prior is a 73 branch if-then tree.

Users who are viewing this thread