What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (11 Viewers)

I would be stunned if you find a browns bored that isn't also a dumpster fire. Just a different kind of one. Maybe something with obr isn't, but if you strike out there I wouldn't go any further. 
what’s obr?

also, no i’m not holding my breath.  just interested in what’s out there. 

what’s obr?

also, no i’m not holding my breath.  just interested in what’s out there. 
Orange and brown report. Layne Adkins is the only guy I actively follow from there, but other stuff trickles through on occasion. Layne's great except for those 3-4 weeks per year his Twitter followers cause him to blow a gasket. 

Orange and brown report. Layne Adkins is the only guy I actively follow from there, but other stuff trickles through on occasion. Layne's great except for those 3-4 weeks per year his Twitter followers cause him to blow a gasket. 
thanks Mac.  

So Kareem Hunt...
This was always in the range of potential outcomes - and 'this' is not really anything (yet).  Still a lot more time for him to do something dumb though.  But this is why trading Duke for something not of consequence without already having another option already teed up was always a silly idea.  

If Hunt gets to the active roster without incident in November, great.  If he doesn't then you still have Chubb and Duke.  Depth.  It's so weird to actually have some.

This was always in the range of potential outcomes - and 'this' is not really anything (yet).  Still a lot more time for him to do something dumb though.  But this is why trading Duke for something not of consequence without already having another option already teed up was always a silly idea.  

If Hunt gets to the active roster without incident in November, great.  If he doesn't then you still have Chubb and Duke.  Depth.  It's so weird to actually have some.
Yea I didn't really have a point of mentioning him other than it's all the radio is talking about and my ears are bleeding. Stupid move on his part, hopefully nothing more than what it seems on the surface. If this is how he's handling alcohol & anger management he'll never make the roster. 23 year olds should know better!

One of the guys on the radio made what I thought was a good point, when you sign on in the NFL, whether intentional or not, you forfeit some of the privacy rights the rest of us enjoy. Hunt needs some situational awareness and to ditch that posse he runs with for the next 5+ years or so then he can knucklehead the rest of his days. Where have I heard this before? :oldunsure:

Yea I didn't really have a point of mentioning him other than it's all the radio is talking about and my ears are bleeding. Stupid move on his part, hopefully nothing more than what it seems on the surface. If this is how he's handling alcohol & anger management he'll never make the roster. 23 year olds should know better!

One of the guys on the radio made what I thought was a good point, when you sign on in the NFL, whether intentional or not, you forfeit some of the privacy rights the rest of us enjoy. Hunt needs some situational awareness and to ditch that posse he runs with for the next 5+ years or so then he can knucklehead the rest of his days. Where have I heard this before? :oldunsure:
It's July 2nd.  Sports radio has nothing else of substance to talk about that will keep ears tuned in. I don't see why you would expect anything different from a 23 year old with his background though.

It's July 2nd.  Sports radio has nothing else of substance to talk about that will keep ears tuned in. I don't see why you would expect anything different from a 23 year old with his background though.
I know, I hate this time of year for sports radio. And I don't expect anything different from a guy like Hunt. All the motions he went through a few months ago are nice but you gotta live it too. I don't look for him to make it on the roster. Surprise me Kareem!

There’s something to be said for the days when the cops could show up, decide nothing of consequence had happened, then send everybody on their way without incident, and not have it turn into weeks-long national news.

The rush to judgment over what, for all we know thus far, was a routine inquiry in which no wrong was done, is truly frustrating.

the frustrating part is this is a guy who has been put on “zero tolerance” and he’s still out in public late at night doing dumb stuff. 

yes, this incident was much ado about nothing, but it’s a bad look for a guy with two strikes against him.  

consider this a foul tip. 

amnesiac said:
the frustrating part is this is a guy who has been put on “zero tolerance” and he’s still out in public late at night doing dumb stuff. 

yes, this incident was much ado about nothing, but it’s a bad look for a guy with two strikes against him.  

consider this a foul tip. 
What dumb stuff was he doing?  

What dumb stuff was he doing?  
I will never understand why any reasonable person would expect a 20-something athlete with piles of money to not 'party.'  No matter the circumstances that may or may not be in their history.  Be pleasantly surprised if your favorite team acquires a good one that doesn't then hope the vast majority that do just don't screw up while they're under contract.

I will never understand why any reasonable person would expect a 20-something athlete with piles of money to not 'party.'  No matter the circumstances that may or may not be in their history.  Be pleasantly surprised if your favorite team acquires a good one that doesn't then hope the vast majority that do just don't screw up while they're under contract.
i’d expect them to either do it in private or at least conduct themselves well enough to not draw attention to themselves.  is that too much to ask?

i’ve gone out and had fun plenty of times. 

not once did i ever draw enough attention to myself that i had to discuss my behavior with a police officer.  maybe i’m just lucky. 

i’d expect them to either do it in private or at least conduct themselves well enough to not draw attention to themselves.  is that too much to ask?
I expect most 20something's to make dumb decisions. For a 20something that didnt come from much that now has a giant pile of cash I expect worse. 

I expect most 20something's to make dumb decisions. For a 20something that didnt come from much that now has a giant pile of cash I expect worse. 
This.  Then add in the fact that other people are going to give you trouble just because of your status, money, fame.  It's a minefield. 

i’ve gone out and had fun plenty of times. 

not once did i ever draw enough attention to myself that i had to discuss my behavior with a police officer.  maybe i’m just lucky. 
He gets more attention sitting in the corner doing nothing than you would if you were a clown suit on stage

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s something to be said for the days when the cops could show up, decide nothing of consequence had happened, then send everybody on their way without incident, and not have it turn into weeks-long national news.

The rush to judgment over what, for all we know thus far, was a routine inquiry in which no wrong was done, is truly frustrating.
There’s something to be said for the days when one learned from their repeated mistakes and subsequently kept themselves out of harms way. That’s the way structure, discipline and accountability worked. But instead let’s follow typical human course by deflecting responsibility. Hunt=stupid is as stupid does. 

There’s something to be said for the days when one learned from their repeated mistakes and subsequently kept themselves out of harms way. That’s the way structure, discipline and accountability worked. But instead let’s follow typical human course by deflecting responsibility. Hunt=stupid is as stupid does. 
Having been, in my younger days “questioned by police” for such irresponsible stupidities as:  sitting in my parked car after dark, walking back and forth in front of my apartment complex, and being outdoors after someone in the neighborhood phoned in a report of gunshots, I learned early that:

Being “questioned by police” does not equate to “did anything irresponsible or wrong.”  Police do question witnesses and victims as well as perpetrators.

None of my questionings led to posted cell phone videos that I then had to answer for to my boss, nor did they appear on the local news.

Having been, in my younger days “questioned by police” for such irresponsible stupidities as:  sitting in my parked car after dark, walking back and forth in front of my apartment complex, and being outdoors after someone in the neighborhood phoned in a report of gunshots, I learned early that:

Being “questioned by police” does not equate to “did anything irresponsible or wrong.”  Police do question witnesses and victims as well as perpetrators.

None of my questionings led to posted cell phone videos that I then had to answer for to my boss, nor did they appear on the local news.
No one cares about your experiences, how about addressing the importance of accountability?

JetMaxx said:
If the media was this way 20-40 years ago every player in the league would have faced multiple suspensions

JetMaxx said:
No one cares about your experiences, how about addressing the importance of accountability?
I care about his/her experiences. I thought it was a perfectly reasonable post to offer.

I don't know what Hunt did or didn't do but I don't think it is reasonable to ask someone in his position to *never* go to a bar. As for accountability, he is serving an 8 game suspension for what he did previously. If something comes out of this current incident, then he will be accountable for that as well. 

If you think Hunt is stupid that is fine and you may very well be right. It's not reasonable to expect a millionaire athlete to not ever go to a bar when they are 23(?) in June. That has nothing to do with how times have changed. If Hunt is stupid he is stupid. Accountability still works as it did in the past. 

I think there are zero of us that could live up to the purity test standard that is being asked of these guys, if we were in their shoes. 

Arodin said:

this is a fair point. 

i said earlier that this “incident” is much ado about nothing. 

but he should be very cautious right now. 

Unlike McCoy, maybe Mike Daniels will fit within the Browns budget for a rotational DT.
Mike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo

From @NFLTotalAccess: Sounds like there’s already solid interest in former #Packers DL Mike Daniels, despite Green Bay being unable to complete a trade with teams that included the #Patriots, #Chiefs and #Browns.

4:23 PM - 24 Jul 2019

-----------------------------------

Dorsey was trying to trade for him before they released him because he didn't want to get into a bidding war.

His stats are solid but not spectacular and his salary is 'pretty-high' for his production.    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001036801/article/stunner-packers-parting-ways-with-mike-daniels?campaign=Twitter_atn 

...  Daniels was due $8.1 million in 2019 in base salary and roster bonuses. The move saves the Packers$8.3 million in cap space this season, per Over The Cap.

... 30-year-old defensive lineman
Dorsey was probably looking for a low-ball trade if the Pack could pick up part of the salary or if he could renegotiate a lower salary.

Now with other teams in the mix he is going to be waiting out for the highest bidder I would guess but the Pack did not want to pay his salary and I would imagine other teams want it lower so this might take time.  

I think everyone likes Daniels but not at his current salary.

Audio clip - Wylie

-----------------------------

Ex-#Browns OL coach Bob Wylie rips Freddie Kitchens, saying ex-QB coach Ken Zampese 'did all the coaching' in those final 8 games in radio interview

Zach Gelb‏Verified account @ZachGelb

Bob Wylie tells The Zach Gelb Show on @CBSSportsRadio that he believes Gregg Williams didn't get the @Browns job because he was too strong of a candidate.

10:36 AM - 3 Aug 2019

Former OL coach Bob Wylie takes shots at GM John Dorsey, coach Freddie Kitchens in radio interview

Audio clip - Wylie

-----------------------------

Ex-#Browns OL coach Bob Wylie rips Freddie Kitchens, saying ex-QB coach Ken Zampese 'did all the coaching' in those final 8 games in radio interview

Zach Gelb‏Verified account @ZachGelb

Bob Wylie tells The Zach Gelb Show on @CBSSportsRadio that he believes Gregg Williams didn't get the @Browns job because he was too strong of a candidate.

10:36 AM - 3 Aug 2019

Former OL coach Bob Wylie takes shots at GM John Dorsey, coach Freddie Kitchens in radio interview
Never expected sour grapes from Bobo but whatever. Kitchens addressed it pretty thoroughly in today's presser. I think he put a stake through it pretty well. If you get a chance to listen to it, it's worth the 5 minutes or just wait for Cowherd to tell everyone how disfunction the the team was/is under Freddie and how it's all starting to unravel before the season even starts.

Good over view.  Simms points out the talent, the plays he's seen but that even though he has met him in the past and studied tape and watched games that after witnessing him in practice take control, he was blown away by Baker's charisma and leadership.  With Baker and Odell, the Browns can go to another level of super star.  Could go down as being one of the most epic combinations in the history of the league.  They have to show it in battle, close games, learn how to win, they have to learn situational football and the sky is the limit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vid Clip - Chris Simms what he's seen at #BrownsCamp, @bakermayfield and the season ahead.

Good over view.  Simms points out the talent, the plays he's seen but that even though he has met him in the past and studied tape and watched games that after witnessing him in practice take control, he was blown away by Baker's charisma and leadership.  With Baker and Odell, the Browns can go to another level of super star.  Could go down as being one of the most epic combinations in the history of the league.  They have to show it in battle, close games, learn how to win, they have to learn situational football and the sky is the limit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vid Clip - Chris Simms what he's seen at #BrownsCamp, @bakermayfield and the season ahead.
They definitely have the talent to be an epic combination. However, you are talking about two very volatile outspoken personalities. I don't know if they will be able to co-exist well together for a long time period.

They definitely have the talent to be an epic combination. However, you are talking about two very volatile outspoken personalities. I don't know if they will be able to co-exist well together for a long time period.
Great actors overpower weak actors but if you see a film like 'August Osage County' with mega stars needing a strong prescience opposite them to reach a level that they never could alone.

Strong personalities, more like uber talented players needing a strong player to reach another level.

Simms makes good points about being battle tested, seeing this play out in close games, learning to win as a team, and situational football where someone hones their skill but I'm not worried about something that I see as a positive which is hugely talented players with big egos to match which is far better than Odell with a noodle armed over-the-hill QB that he had out paced.  Or Baker with a rookie WR who sat out a year forced to start before he was ready and he still set the all-time NFL record for TD passes after not starting the first three games.

I disregard anything Chris Simms says, so I'm not sure what this is in reference to but I question anyone saying Mayfield's volatile. Intense? Absolutely. Volatile? Nope.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

·

1m

Source: #Browns RB Duke Johnson was traded to the#Texans.
"My hamstring hurts....oooooo...the pain...the agony....I can't walk!!!  I can't.....wait....what....Texans...?  Ok.  I'll run over there right away for my physical!"

Bye Duke  :bye:

Tom Withers‏Verified account @twithersAP 5m5 minutes ago

AP source says #Browns getting a 4th-round pick for Johnson that can become third-rounder.

---------------------------------------------

LA‏ @TheRealLA__ 2m2 minutes ago

Oh stop, his hamstring wasn't hurt. That was evident after a long Hilliard run in camp and Duke ran down the sideline. That and I know the game played here by the player, agent and Browns to get it to this point today

--------------------------------------------

Good return on Duke's fake  hamstring/pseudo hold out.

Buy Hilliard who should see early season touches.

"My hamstring hurts....oooooo...the pain...the agony....I can't walk!!!  I can't.....wait....what....Texans...?  Ok.  I'll run over there right away for my physical!"

Bye Duke  :bye:
Rosenhaus ordering him to fake this injury, but stay quiet, was smart. It applied an intangible timeline on the Browns to move him. They just needed another team to develop a hole, so they could get a little more compensation than they would have 3 months ago.

I disregard anything Chris Simms says, so I'm not sure what this is in reference to but I question anyone saying Mayfield's volatile. Intense? Absolutely. Volatile? Nope.
Okay maybe volatile isn't the right word. But Baker definitely reacts before he thinks. He seems to say the first thing that comes into his head. Because of this you get true honesty from him. That is fine when things are going well, but when things aren't going well that type of honesty can cause division between him and other players. I would think with someone like Odell this could definitely be an issue.

I am not saying these guys don't have great potential, but they do have some traits that could prevent them from maximizing their talent.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

The #Browns got a fourth-rounder that can become a third rounder for Duke Johnson. If it does become a third, I believe it will be the highest RB compensation since Trent Richardson went for a first.

8:12 AM - 8 Aug 2019

Okay maybe volatile isn't the right word. But Baker definitely reacts before he thinks. He seems to say the first thing that comes into his head. Because of this you get true honesty from him. That is fine when things are going well, but when things aren't going well that type of honesty can cause division between him and other players. I would think with someone like Odell this could definitely be an issue.

I am not saying these guys don't have great potential, but they do have some traits that could prevent them from maximizing their talent.
Don't agree with that either. Whether you think his actions are right or wrong, there's a purpose behind everything he says and does. He does what he thinks is best to lead those in his locker room. He's not honest because he's reactionary. He's just honest. And teammates gravitate towards him because of that.

Users who are viewing this thread