What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (11 Viewers)

Though I do really like Shenault for Baker, we can mine the deep WR talent later if we choose to go that route in this draft. Need to try for an impact defensive player here in the 2nd imo. 
I piggy backed Shenault specifically because I think he has that alpha mentality to supplant Beckham. He's a play maker at all three levels that also isn't afraid of getting physical. My only question is health. So give him a path to a role this year then see if his performance demands more. I think the other receivers are better complimentary options, so if it isn't him then I agree about waiting a while before taking a shot at the position. A complimentary WR doesn't take priority to a starter on defense on this team right now. Because I agree that we need help in the middle of the defense, so if we don't address that at 41 then I expect a LB/S at 74. And doubling up today probably makes the most sense. I'm just entranced by Shenault.

PFF - Grant Delpit stands out for more than just his coverage ability. He had almost twice as many career run-stops as the next closest top safety in this year’s draft.

FWIW, Delpit's tackling this past season was bad early on but he was banged up for a lot of the season. As he got healthier late in the year he started to look more himself. I'll be rooting for him to be good for you guys.

There’s a knock on Delpit’s tackling. That’s all fair. But according to @PFF made 10 tackles and didn’t miss a single tackle throughout the SEC Championship, CFPlayoff and National Championship. Kid has amazing talent, potential and can make an impact on the #Browns defense.

Apparently played w a high ankle sprain most of the season. Berry aknowledged his tackling needs to be worked on, but good to see he came up big when it really mattered

PFF

"PICK 44: CLEVELAND BROWNS (VIA INDIANAPOLIS COLTS) — S GRANT DELPIT, LSU
Delpit was the highest-ranked safety on the PFF Draft Board and the 15th-best prospect overall. In other words, the Browns getting him 44th overall is a huge steal. He has NFL-ready coverage ability and short-area quickness that make him the best in the class. Delpit combined for 27 interceptions and forced incompletions in his three years with LSU, which tied for the most in the FBS. You can live with the missed tackles because of his otherwise elite coverage play."

Why did Houston get to send us their compensatory pick #97 instead of their own 3rd #90 in the Duke Johnson trade ?

So had Houston not got a 3rd round compensatory pick we would got pick #90 ?  Is that how it works ?

It was a 4th upgraded to a 3rd when Duke played 10 games.

Damn that is who I wanted the Browns to take at 74 and we traded it away.  Damn.

Thought we should have taken Baun there 
Yep.  I thought he'd fall due to the diluted sample and he did but I thought we would have caught a bargain.  

Teams typically don't trade-down unless a guy they had targeted got taken before they selected.

EDIT:  In this case we picked up a 3rd next year so that is a good return to move-down.

---------------------------------------

Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

6m

Cleveland #Browns Swap Picks With New Orleans #Saints, Add Third Round Pick in 2021

Last edited by a moderator:
Elliott ESPN's #41 overall ranked player taken at #88
Steve Doerschuk@sdoerschukREP

Daniel Jeremiah ranks No. 88 pick Jordan Elliott as 67th-best player in draft: "Scheme-diverse ... offers high upside. with talent to become a starter in Year 1 or 2."

---------------------------------------------------------

11:06pm: Jordan Elliot is an interior rusher with intangibles but limited production. Boom or bust prospect at defensive tackle. At least they get some depth at 3-technique.

11:10pm: Elliot was ranked 23rd on PFF's big board! The Browns are only team with three players in the top-25 of PFF's big board. Analytics showing true in Berry's first draft.

11:14pm: The next selection at 97 should be either a linebacker or tight end. Two prospects for each position are Malik Harrison and Adam Trautman.

11:18pm: Per PFF, Jordan Elliot is the only Power-5 interior defender with 90.0+ run-defense and pass-rush grades. Great value pick for Berry!

----------------------------

Malik would be a good pick if he's their.  Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB Appalachian State is another name I noted for mid-late LB prospect.  Trautman if we go TE.  

Still some good talent available.   Curtis Weaver still their as well.

EDGE CURTIS WEAVER, BOISE STATE

Weaver's athleticism or lack thereof is terrifying. He doesn't have a body of work against quality tackles to prove it won't matter, but we've also never seen an edge dominate the group of 5 to the degree Weaver did.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be the end of Ogunjobi...
We are going to have an active rotation that requires depth.  

-------------------------------------------

Scott Petrak ct@ScottPetrak

#Browns GM Andrew Berry on DTs: Almost like hockey lines. We're really passed days where only play the starters. Important to have depth in that position group.

We are going to have an active rotation that requires depth.  

-------------------------------------------

Scott Petrak ct@ScottPetrak

#Browns GM Andrew Berry on DTs: Almost like hockey lines. We're really passed days where only play the starters. Important to have depth in that position group.
Agreed 100%. Dorsey not prioritizing rotations drove me nuts. This is a refreshingly smart approach to the DL.

DL needs to be as fresh as possible for max efficiency. Gassed DL are as useful as tree stumps. 

For once, gonna hold back my excitement as much as possible but those first 3 picks were total *chef kiss*

We generally assume that Wills will take over LT.  I wonder if that's best.  Maybe Conklin would make more sense.  I think he'd fit better next to Bitonio.  He, being a veteran, could more easily adapt to the switch, and the rookie probably has more than enough on his plate already.  The counter argument is it's foolish to move an all-pro.  Thoughts?

We generally assume that Wills will take over LT.  I wonder if that's best.  Maybe Conklin would make more sense.  I think he'd fit better next to Bitonio.  He, being a veteran, could more easily adapt to the switch, and the rookie probably has more than enough on his plate already.  The counter argument is it's foolish to move an all-pro.  Thoughts?
Generally speaking fixing one hole by creating another is a mistake. Because then you may unintentionally create two holes.

Conklin is a good RT. LT vs RT doesn't matter much in today's NFL. You need good players both places because defenses move their pass rushers around more than they used to. So, keep the good RT at RT and develop the new toy and hope it works out at LT.

Joe Thomas said something along the lines of re: Wills that"moving from LT ro RT and RT to LT only takes a few days/weeks... It's basically just kicking out the opposite foot and takes little getting used to" (paraphrased)

Now, easy for a HoF'r to say, but I think he knows. And the fact he's reached out to help Wills develop is MONSTER.

DL needs to be as fresh as possible for max efficiency. Gassed DL are as useful as tree stumps. 

For once, gonna hold back my excitement as much as possible but those first 3 picks were total *chef kiss*
Ya, really like our first 3 picks, but not so sure on the LB. Difficult to find a report that leaves you feeling really good. Harrison going at the next pick to Balt is a nut punch. 

Ya, really like our first 3 picks, but not so sure on the LB. Difficult to find a report that leaves you feeling really good. Harrison going at the next pick to Balt is a nut punch. 
I don't think there is a meaningful difference between Phillips and Harrison. 

Wonder if we go TE here in the 4th....some interesting players left with different skill sets.

Still WR depth too. 

Or just crank out more defense. 

I don't think there is a meaningful difference between Phillips and Harrison. 
Maybe not overall....I just don’t like all the negative football iq / slow processing notes I see. At least he’ll be a special teams ace right away. Not totally bagging the pick, he has positives going for him and hopefully we can coach him up.

Where are you guys trading Njoku?
Stephanski uses more multiple-tights than anyone so we're not dealing anyone besides TE Harrison Bryant chosen in the fourth is a bit under-weight and will likely start out as an H-back role till he can add weight/muscle so he can get a shot at being a starter.  

He 'occasionally' lined up outside so right now he's not an in-line option.  

Think next year to see what we've got.

TE?  Seems to me we have greater needs to be spending draft picks on.  That said, Bryant looks like decent value.

Probably nowhere. Let Bryant grow and learn over this year and then decide on Njoku’s 5th year option after the season. Nice pick. 
The deadline to decide on Njoku's 5th year option is next weekend. I don't think the Bryant pick influences the 2020 plan. It's Hooper and Njoku, develop Bryant. I think this may mean we don't pick up his option, but I also don't think it necessarily closes the door on him returning. I think his future or lack thereof here always depended on what he does over the summer.

Maybe not overall....I just don’t like all the negative football iq / slow processing notes I see. At least he’ll be a special teams ace right away. Not totally bagging the pick, he has positives going for him and hopefully we can coach him up.
I sure didn't see that when watching LSU. His play reminded me a lot of Harrison's, so I wasn't surprised to read similar analysis of them from others.

Trent Williams went for a 3rd in 2021 and a 5th this year.  Would been worth paying that if we wanted to pay his salary.

That is a lot cheaper price than what they wanted to get before.  Sounds like they lowered their price for a 2nd.

The deadline to decide on Njoku's 5th year option is next weekend. I don't think the Bryant pick influences the 2020 plan. It's Hooper and Njoku, develop Bryant. I think this may mean we don't pick up his option, but I also don't think it necessarily closes the door on him returning. I think his future or lack thereof here always depended on what he does over the summer.
Didn’t know it was so soon. Agree with the rest. I like the pick for depth/development which is pretty much what we’re at now.

Trent Williams went for a 3rd in 2021 and a 5th this year.  Would been worth paying that if we wanted to pay his salary.

That is a lot cheaper price than what they wanted to get before.  Sounds like they lowered their price for a 2nd.
I think the salary was always the biggest hurdle; not the draft pick compensation. He fits San Francisco because they're in a championship window. It'd be nice for us to enter one in 2021, but it isn't going to be 2020. Drafting what will hopefully be our starting LT for the next decade always made more sense...if one of such caliber fell.

Users who are viewing this thread