What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Not to rehash, but I've wondered this for a while - after Negan killed Glenn and Abraham and the Alexandrians were slaves to Negan, why didn't they just leave? There are tons of (likely) abandoned towns around there. How big is Negan's reach? Does he go to Maryland? Into DC? Into the far NoVa suburbs? If so, then go to, I don't know, Baltimore?
They also had Daryl hostage

They sure don't show may people in Alexandria.  I can think of a handful left that we see on screen anymore. (other than Rick and his crew if they are considered Alexandrians)

So I finally watched it and yeah its pretty bad.  Some crazy cringeworthy moments.  For starters the timeline is completely screwed up.  So Dwight tells them Negan is going to roll up in 2 trucks and 20 men.  Then it shows him leaving at night.  All of a sudden Jesus is at Hilltop and then the Garbage kids show up on bikes.  Then during the battle Maggie and the Kingdom show up on foot.  Just odd.  All in all from the numbers in Alexandria they didnt need the garbage gang for anything.  Why not just sniper Negan the first chance you can get?

I just dont get Ricks strategy here.  There was no ambush except the explosives and why not just surround Negan just for save measure.   Inside Alexandria everyone was just standing around.  Bizarre.  Then the battle was laugh out loud funny.  The garbage kids couldnt shot straight, everyone was just running around it was just incredibly bad tv.  I shouldnt even have to say how much of a joke that tiger was and then Negan while getting fired upon with automatic weapons (which nobody can seem to hit the truck) just gives the finger.

So so bad.

shadyridr said:
I always thought Alexandria had about 100 people in its community
Yes, they were all at the Deanna party when the group first got to Alexandria.

and remember when Rick got all of the townsfolk together to explain why the had to heard the pit walkers past their front door?

... and then when he had the town meeting (in the church?) stating that they just HAD to attack the satellite station?

There were at least 20 folks there for those meetings. But some of them are dead now.

Bossman said:
Interesting how Judith has gone from a baby to start this season to a toddler in this episode (walking)...

yet Maggie still remains 5 months pregnant throughout the season. 

need2know said:
She doesn't look pregnant at all.  
This is the kind of stuff that makes these threads great :rolleyes:

Even if we assume there are only 20 or so people in Alexandria that's a big number of people to just pack up and leave. Keep in mind Rick and the group were on the verge of death before Aaron found them and they are highly skilled in fighting and surviving. Not to mention as has been pointed out that Daryl was being held prisoner and Maggie was/is pregnant and in no condition to be taken on an endless trek through the woods to who knows where.

I just don't think leaving made sense. They were stuck.

The Big Guy said:
I am thinking that Negan gives them no one back since the moment was a fail. That probably gives the garbage people reason to go back to Alexandria to assist.
So, like, Alexandria is going to trust them again??

So, like, Alexandria is going to trust them again??
They are using Dwight to help them, aren't they?  If only the bowl cut garbagelady could communicate her story to Rick, he might even understand and sympathize as he has done undesirable things to live up to his Negan deal.

They are using Dwight to help them, aren't they?  If only the bowl cut garbagelady could communicate her story to Rick, he might even understand and sympathize as he has done undesirable things to live up to his Negan deal.
It'll probably happen, but I think it will be ridiculous. They betray you at the drop of a hat. You are never going to trust them again, ever. Unless you are smart enough (and we know how often smart plays in to this) to put them all in FRONT of you so your guns are to their backs.

I'm convinced the proper way to watch this show is to binge the whole season over a weekend. I did just that and was spared a mediocre season dragging on over months.
this is strange

its like saying im going to eat pasta all weekend even tho it has no taste so i dont have to eat it once a week for months

why eat it at all if thats how you feel

Re-watched the finale again and still enjoyed it a lot. Negan screaming when Shiva attacked was :lmao: . Hadn't really noticed that the first time I watched since it was just complete chaos in that scene. These last two episodes are why this show is so damn good. Strong character development and an overall story worth following. Really looking forward to All Out War. 

Buzzbait said:
Wait a minute. You bailed on The Wire but sticking with TWD?  :no:
Yes, I had high expectations for The Wire since it was being recommend by folks who loved Breaking Bad.  Breaking Bad is my favorite show ever.  I was extremely disappointed in The Wire.

Even if we assume there are only 20 or so people in Alexandria that's a big number of people to just pack up and leave. Keep in mind Rick and the group were on the verge of death before Aaron found them and they are highly skilled in fighting and surviving. Not to mention as has been pointed out that Daryl was being held prisoner and Maggie was/is pregnant and in no condition to be taken on an endless trek through the woods to who knows where.

I just don't think leaving made sense. They were stuck.
Endless trek through the woods of Alexandria, Virginia?

whoknew said:
Not to rehash, but I've wondered this for a while - after Negan killed Glenn and Abraham and the Alexandrians were slaves to Negan, why didn't they just leave? There are tons of (likely) abandoned towns around there. How big is Negan's reach? Does he go to Maryland? Into DC? Into the far NoVa suburbs? If so, then go to, I don't know, Baltimore?
That's the stupidest part of this whole show.  Why have them travel to Alexandria if you're going to keep filming and portraying their situation as back woods Georgia.

They whole reason they left for DC (despite the guise made up by Eugene) is that you're getting out of the back woods and back to population and possibly government and/or military.  The best they could afford was one episode with downtown DC foreshadowing in the background and another with a couple dead military guys and a rocket launcher.

Not to mention any one of the 27 military bases in Virginia, or another 10 around DC.  Guns?  Guess we'll have to go get'em from the girls down at at ocean side!!  :X

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention any one of the 27 military bases in Virginia, or another 10 around DC.  Guns?  Guess we'll have to go get'em from the girls down at at ocean side!!  :X
That's a good point. So what ocean side do you think that is supposed to be? Like Maryland Eastern Shore? If so, how far does Negan's empire stretch?

It really is astonishing how this show got so bad so quickly.  It was my favorite show on TV and I was willing to overlook its flaws but this past season was just bad.

• Ezekiel being the first person in history to weaponize a tiger.  Once the gunfire started that thing would have grabbed Carl by the throat and jumped the wall.
  • Zero character development this season beyond Eugene.  Dwight very predictably turns on Negan who treats him like total crap doesn't count.
  • Rick has done nothing but get Alexandrians killed since he showed up, literally the worst leader in history.  Obviously he's going to kill everyone/burn Alexandria to the ground so he can avenge his buddies that he got killed in the first place.  If I'm in Alexandria I would definitely make sure Negan had my resume even if I had to carve it in a little wooden soldier.
  • Garbage people for all the reason mentioned and another thing that makes Rick Grimes the absolute nut low leader.  Hey guys I just met these cool dudes they live in the landfill.  Let's give them some guns and let them in our posh little town, it'll be totally cool.
It used to be really tense now it's just campy; Fonz could have been riding around a motorcycle during the battle scene and it might have actually been better.  Not sure where it can go from here as "ALL OUT WAR" seems to me like it will be a snooze fest unless they up the budget by 1000% and hire John Woo or someone.

Worst battle ever. Thank goodness Game of Thrones is coming back on. Can't that at least get some advice from those guys? That battle was pathetic 

Worst battle ever. Thank goodness Game of Thrones is coming back on. Can't that at least get some advice from those guys? That battle was pathetic 
I cut them some slack on the battle. It's gotta be tough to have a realistic gun battle with like 30 people on each side.  You can't have people dying left and right like you can when there are thousands. And it would be more realistic but not as much fun to watch if everyone was taking cover because they'd get popped every time they were out in the open for more than a couple seconds. 

I cut them some slack on the battle. It's gotta be tough to have a realistic gun battle with like 30 people on each side.  You can't have people dying left and right like you can when there are thousands. And it would be more realistic but not as much fun to watch if everyone was taking cover because they'd get popped every time they were out in the open for more than a couple seconds. 
Was still very amateurish. Just a bunch of people running around wildly. No one even hitting the dirt or trying to hide behind ####.  Negan is apparently bulletproof. 

Was still very amateurish. Just a bunch of people running around wildly. No one even hitting the dirt or trying to hide behind ####.  Negan is apparently bulletproof. 
Agreed. I just don't know how fair it is to compare it to Game of Thrones battles. Different scale and all. 

I am hanging on by a string.  So much stupid, but I can't give up on something like this.  First 4-5 seasons was some of the best TV evah, now it is most definitely in "meh-ville".  The fact that people fawn over it and the whole TWD phenomenon continues to slobber over it... makes it even worse.  I hate the phrase, but "it is what it is"... and I'll see it through.  

I am hanging on by a string.  So much stupid, but I can't give up on something like this.  First 4-5 seasons was some of the best TV evah, now it is most definitely in "meh-ville".  The fact that people fawn over it and the whole TWD phenomenon continues to slobber over it... makes it even worse.  I hate the phrase, but "it is what it is"... and I'll see it through.  
What the... ????

Some here would call me a "Fan Boy" and even I wouldn't put WD close enough to BB as the "best evah"  to smell the Meth cooking. :loco:

What the... ????

Some here would call me a "Fan Boy" and even I wouldn't put WD close enough to BB as the "best evah"  to smell the Meth cooking. :loco:
The first few seasons were pretty close.  I don't think it's that crazy to compare the first few seasons of twd to bb.  Bb was better overall and did it longer no question. Bb also never had multiple throw away episodes where nothing happened and you never wanted to watch those again.  Those seem to be happening more and more on twd on top of the horrible writing, CGI, etc.

Imagine how many less pages this thread would be if all the "I hate this series and won't watch it again" people stopped watching the series and stopped posting in it?

The first few seasons were pretty close.  I don't think it's that crazy to compare the first few seasons of twd to bb.  Bb was better overall and did it longer no question. Bb also never had multiple throw away episodes where nothing happened and you never wanted to watch those again.  Those seem to be happening more and more on twd on top of the horrible writing, CGI, etc.
The only episode of Breaking Bad that was a "throw away" was the fly episode.   I'm still wondering WTF that was about since the rest of the series was simply superb.  

I will be spending a couple weeks in the Albuquerque area in late May, so will be binge watching Bb in the coming weeks, with the fly episode the only one I will skip over.  Pretty pumped about taking the self guided Breaking Bad tour.  

The first few seasons were pretty close.  I don't think it's that crazy to compare the first few seasons of twd to bb.  
If we're just talking entertainment value then maybe (I disagree, but I'll go with it). From a quality POV, this show sucks in comparison to Breaking Bad and always has. 

If we're just talking entertainment value then maybe (I disagree, but I'll go with it). From a quality POV, this show sucks in comparison to Breaking Bad and always has. 
Excuse my ignorance....but what is POV?  Privately Owned Vehicle?  

Edit:  Must be "Point Of View"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people I know are getting sick of the ridiculousness of it all.  One dumb decision after another.  It's been all downhill since the van in the pond episode. It was still good before that.  Van I'm the pond. Jumped the shark. Same thing. 

Some seasons were better than others, sure.  I'm in til the end I suppose.  Staple for Sunday nights, especially when it isn't football season.  Definitely DVR'able.  

Heck, if I can make it through the polarizing show that was "Lost", I can make it through TWD.  

Some seasons were better than others, sure.  I'm in til the end I suppose.  Staple for Sunday nights, especially when it isn't football season.  Definitely DVR'able.  

Heck, if I can make it through the polarizing show that was "Lost", I can make it through TWD.  
That's cool.

Hell, I grew up enjoying the dumbest shows imaginable - stuff like The Brady Bunch and Emergency. Even as a kid, I knew they were stupid but I liked them anyway. There's no way I would compare them to anything that was even remotely in the same neighborhood as "quality". For someone to compare The Walking Dead to Breaking Bad is just silly.

For those who still enjoy the show, have fun.  I bailed somewhere in the first Negan season, as it just got too painfully idiotic for me to watch anymore. I'm not talking about "show-logic" (I still watch Game Of Thrones, where - for instance - the timelines make zero sense), but there was just no enjoyment in it for me any longer. 

That's cool.

Hell, I grew up enjoying the dumbest shows imaginable - stuff like The Brady Bunch and Emergency. Even as a kid, I knew they were stupid but I liked them anyway. There's no way I would compare them to anything that was even remotely in the same neighborhood as "quality". For someone to compare The Walking Dead to Breaking Bad is just silly.

For those who still enjoy the show, have fun.  I bailed somewhere in the first Negan season, as it just got too painfully idiotic for me to watch anymore. I'm not talking about "show-logic" (I still watch Game Of Thrones, where - for instance - the timelines make zero sense), but there was just no enjoyment in it for me any longer. 
I still haven't watched a season of BB.  I know I know.  I will grab the first season at some point.  That and GOT.  My son keeps telling me to watch them both, but the wife isn't interested in either of those shows, and we usually watch TV together.  I'll have to catch up when she leaves me.  

I still haven't watched a season of BB.  I know I know.  I will grab the first season at some point.  That and GOT.  My son keeps telling me to watch them both, but the wife isn't interested in either of those shows, and we usually watch TV together.  I'll have to catch up when she leaves me.  
In a way, I think Breaking Bad has been overrated. It's very, very good and you can tell the showrunners had it well thought-out once it gained steam. But there are some really silly stretches, too, that make little sense. That said, it was as good as a serialized TV drama got until then (I think it's since been surpassed by The Americans, Rectify, and - ironically enough - Better Call Saul)

Game Of Thrones is at least a notch below BB - the plotting is sloppy as hell, for one thing. But it can hit "oh ####!" notes like no other show in TV history.

My wife was not interested in those shows intially either. Also walking dead.  After a couple episodes she got into all of them

Users who are viewing this thread