What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (4 Viewers)

What I've taken away from this discussion is there are far too many of you reading comic books. Pretty sure I graduated out of that class around age 7 and moved on to books with no pictures but to each his own. If any of you are wondering what a ###### looks like, let me know, I can PM you a quality link. :pickle:
:thumbup: and :(

Strong second episode. :thumbup:

Good story and they continue to personalize the zombies which I am a fan of.
:banned: I agree. I thought they were going to try and have Rick and his wife meet for the season finale, but it looks like it won't be that. The series is moving fast.and the best thing i love about it is when i take my dogs out after the show and i hear something outside and I instantly think there are some zombies outside.
:banned: I'll hear a bunch of sirens and think "the zombie apocalypse has started!"

Arg I forgot all about this.

Can someone PM me where I can easily watch this online to catch up?

I don't want to come back here for the answer and spoil anything for me.

I liked this episode better than the pilot, but I still find the writing to be kind of obvious and leaden. It seems clear that this is going to be a story about the toll survival takes upon our humanity. As such, I wish I found the characters more interesting and likable in the first place.

I like this show. Lots of cool scenes. I liked the pilot better than last night's episode, though. Some of the living actors are horrid.

I liked this episode better than the pilot, but I still find the writing to be kind of obvious and leaden. It seems clear that this is going to be a story about the toll survival takes upon our humanity. As such, I wish I found the characters more interesting and likable in the first place.
:lmao:

:shrug:
Exactly - none of the characters are that interesting.
Easily the worst show on TV. Hands down, producers should be water boarded and their family should be shot on sight.I don't know why people even bother tuning in. Complete garbage.

:popcorn:
Having a hard time identifying with any of these characters - but I love zombies so I will take what I can get.

:popcorn:
Having a hard time identifying with any of these characters - but I love zombies so I will take what I can get.
I wish we'd get to know some of the zombies a little more. :kicksrock:

Liked the second episode but didnt like how some of the zombies got faster then the slow walk.

However, despite my distaste for the show and everyone involved with it, I will bravely continue watching and posting my criticisms at the risk of being exposed as the pedantic nit-picker I am, because I must show everyone how superior my intellect and highly refined taste in film is.

Come on, in the first five minutes, somebody walks off alone to look for mushrooms and hears noises? I almost turned it off right then.

But it got better. I kinda wish I didn't watch the previews for next week because I wanted them to live the racist pig on the roof to die.

It held my interest, good but not great.

but this show is getting away with some graphic scenes .

I like rick as a character, and that black dude. :goodposting: (old guy reminded me of that L4D character.)

Last edited by a moderator:
However, despite my distaste for the show and everyone involved with it, I will bravely continue watching and posting my criticisms at the risk of being exposed as the pedantic nit-picker I am, because I must show everyone how superior my intellect and highly refined taste in film is.
Jesus. You're really taking this personally.

I'm sorry you don't agree with my views, but please do not speak for me.

Did a zombie bite your ######? Serious question.

Like that dude in the "Lost" thread. Bad talked the show the entire season but watched every episode.

Did a zombie bite your ######? Serious question.
Serious answer. Zombies aren't real. Seek help if you believe they are.

Jayrok said:
Harry Manback said:
Like that dude in the "Lost" thread. Bad talked the show the entire season but watched every episode.
OK, let me moderate my behavior so that it is appropriate for this thread.ZOMG, it's awesome. Because it has zombies. I like zombies! Ever since I saw the first trailer, I knew this was going to be a great show. Because it would have zombies. And then I watched the first two episodes, and there were zombies, so it was even better than I imagined!

Jayrok said:
Harry Manback said:
OK, let me moderate my behavior so that it is appropriate for this thread.ZOMG, it's awesome. Because it has zombies. I like zombies! Ever since I saw the first trailer, I knew this was going to be a great show. Because it would have zombies. And then I watched the first two episodes, and there were zombies, so it was even better than I imagined!
Zombies are social commentary.Zombies show the overarching constraint of world politics.Zombies show the slow transformation of the youthful iconoclastic individualism of the late twentieth century into the lock step hoard mentality of the collective. :bag:

Jayrok said:
Harry Manback said:
:woosh:

:unsure:

Unrecognizable, too much added simply to artificially keep Rick from Lori and Carl. Not that it has to stick with the comic, but the sex scene is enough of a dramatic sticking point for Rick and Lori to deal with. (Imagine what Lori and Shane would feel seeing Rick alive after they'd made love that morning, that's some guilt/high emotions.) Too many zombie cliches (I never had a problem with the hospital bit knowing the history of the comic, but dressing up like zombies? It was cute in Shaun of the Dead. But that part was painful to watch.

Maybe I shouldn't want to hold them close to the comic. But a bit I don't understand why they changed from the pilot was the zombie encounter just as they left the police station. Shooting the zombie, the father said to Rick to save the bullet because he'd need it later. Rick agreed.

Then, a few panels later, on his way back, he shoots the legless bike zombie that was stuck. So the bullet was saved for a mercy mission. Instead in the pilot we have Rick kill the zombie because he knew the guy, but it was just an excuse to show a slow mo gore scene, and then go and administer the mercy killing. Maybe it's a small point and I didn't even notice it until I was just skimming back over the comic.

Seems like a misstep to me, but they have plenty of time to establish a stronger story.

Liked the pilot, not as enthusiatic about the second episode. The old racist dude was just over the top and unbelievable. If the storyline is going to be character-driven, those characters have to be identifiable, not obscene caricatures of human beings.

Characters were a bit over the top in this one. Hopefully it gets better. I also cringed at the "dressing like zombie." As some one said, made me think of Shaun of the Dead. This has potential but I hope they don't screw it up.

Dressing like a zombie was a bit silly...but I figure I'm already buying the concept of living dead so there's no reason for me to draw the line there.

The sheriff doesn't seem overly concerned at the thought of getting blood splattered on him. It's weird when you have other characters covering every part of their body and he seems to have no problem walking up to a zombie and shooting them at point blank. Or when you see him telling them to be careful as they drap body parts on them but he has intenstines hanging around his neck with not much of a collar protecting things.

Still, it has zombies killing people so I'm on board.

Dressing like a zombie was a bit silly...but I figure I'm already buying the concept of living dead so there's no reason for me to draw the line there.The sheriff doesn't seem overly concerned at the thought of getting blood splattered on him. It's weird when you have other characters covering every part of their body and he seems to have no problem walking up to a zombie and shooting them at point blank. Or when you see him telling them to be careful as they drap body parts on them but he has intenstines hanging around his neck with not much of a collar protecting things. Still, it has zombies killing people so I'm on board.
Yeah, he even said don't get any on your skin.All the blood splatter, and no infections because of it is one of the plot holes.Willing to overlook it though.

Characters were a bit over the top in this one. Hopefully it gets better. I also cringed at the "dressing like zombie." As some one said, made me think of Shaun of the Dead. This has potential but I hope they don't screw it up.
Why? Other than Shaun of the Dead...

Not sure how they could go into much character depth in one episode when they introduced what...6 new characters, in a one hour show, mixed in with the plot. They'll get to it, give them time. They gave each one a little story to feed off of and advance the show. They'll give us more.

Maybe they can all sit down on a couch and introduce themselves to the viewer by looking into the camera and telling them why their character is important to the show. Would that suffice for some of you?

Liked the pilot, not as enthusiatic about the second episode. The old racist dude was just over the top and unbelievable. If the storyline is going to be character-driven, those characters have to be identifiable, not obscene caricatures of human beings.
Uh... I know more than one person that you might say is an "obscene caricature of a human being."

Not sure how they could go into much character depth in one episode when they introduced what...6 new characters, in a one hour show, mixed in with the plot. They'll get to it, give them time. They gave each one a little story to feed off of and advance the show. They'll give us more. Maybe they can all sit down on a couch and introduce themselves to the viewer by looking into the camera and telling them why their character is important to the show. Would that suffice for some of you?
I'm working my way through The Wire right now on DTV 101 (about a quarter of the way into season 2). Watching these two series together really makes it obvious how great a job The Wire does at introducing you to new characters without relying on exposition. And its characters are fully fleshed-out and believable right from the get-go.Yeah, I know I'm comparing a crime drama that aimed at high-level political/social commentary with a zombie show, but given the hype this series received, it's not asking for too much to write some semi-decent characters.

My take was that Shaun of the Dead 1. Already did it and 2. Is a comic satire of Zombie films so it should have been untouchable based on that alone. Killed the drama of it. Felt like another artificial means to add gore to the show.

Not sure how they could go into much character depth in one episode when they introduced what...6 new characters, in a one hour show, mixed in with the plot. They'll get to it, give them time. They gave each one a little story to feed off of and advance the show. They'll give us more. Maybe they can all sit down on a couch and introduce themselves to the viewer by looking into the camera and telling them why their character is important to the show. Would that suffice for some of you?
I'm working my way through The Wire right now on DTV 101 (about a quarter of the way into season 2). Watching these two series together really makes it obvious how great a job The Wire does at introducing you to new characters without relying on exposition. And its characters are fully fleshed-out and believable right from the get-go.Yeah, I know I'm comparing a crime drama that aimed at high-level political/social commentary with a zombie show, but given the hype this series received, it's not asking for too much to write some semi-decent characters.
And some might say it's not asking too much to give the writers more than 2 episodes to fully flesh out their characters, but I suppos that's a ridiculous statement considering where we are.

My take was that Shaun of the Dead 1. Already did it and 2. Is a comic satire of Zombie films so it should have been untouchable based on that alone. Killed the drama of it. Felt like another artificial means to add gore to the show.
The comic that first featured this predates Shaun of the Dead, but that does not mean it was an original idea. It has been done in some form many times before.

The Wire and Mad Men have unfortunately limited the pleasure I experience trying to watch other shows. This isn't aimed only at The Walking Dead. The writing and acting of The Wire in particular is so crisp and flawless that it develops an unrealistic set of expectations.Still, I don't think it's unfair to critique a show in these areas after one or two episodes. Of course there is the possibility that the characters become more fleshed out and the writing gets tighter. For now all there is to discuss is what we've seen. So far there are several elements of the show I enjoy--the acting and dialogue isn't one of them. But what is passable as far as that goes varies from person to person.

Users who are viewing this thread