What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (4 Viewers)

Service disconnected last night some time. Called winback and said I recvd  email at 11am eastern and she started telling me about a deal but she couldn't tell me how long my discounts lasted so I hung up. Called back and after 20 more questions I was told they couldn't see my offers yet and call back in 2.5 hours.  DubyaTeeEff

I tried the kill them with sugar instead of threatening to quit approach a couple times a few weeks ago....it worked for me last year....told them I didn't want to threaten to leave etc....well it didn't work this year in a couple calls as I really got nowhere except for $12 off a month for the ticket or some standard thing they had going....so we said screw it and had my mother in law call in as a "new customer" and give them our address....so I set it for cancellation on Tuesday at midnight after she set it up for install on Wednesday....

we decided to go this route for a few reasons....one, it was just easier, even tho it doesn't sound like it...and two, we got new equipment including the 4K box for our living room TV that has 4K.....the other new boxes are also new and "cordless" so they are mobile and you can take them anywhere....like sometimes we like to take a TV out to the patio....we used to have to run cords out the door, etc....now we only need to plug in the TV and the box....

I got the deal mentioned above, free Ticket Max or whatever....12 months HBO....all other movies for 3 months....$300 gift card (not $200)....and a pretty low monthly payment across the board....lower than what I was paying....

I tried the kill them with sugar instead of threatening to quit approach a couple times a few weeks ago....it worked for me last year....told them I didn't want to threaten to leave etc....well it didn't work this year in a couple calls as I really got nowhere except for $12 off a month for the ticket or some standard thing they had going....so we said screw it and had my mother in law call in as a "new customer" and give them our address....so I set it for cancellation on Tuesday at midnight after she set it up for install on Wednesday....

we decided to go this route for a few reasons....one, it was just easier, even tho it doesn't sound like it...and two, we got new equipment including the 4K box for our living room TV that has 4K.....the other new boxes are also new and "cordless" so they are mobile and you can take them anywhere....like sometimes we like to take a TV out to the patio....we used to have to run cords out the door, etc....now we only need to plug in the TV and the box....

I got the deal mentioned above, free Ticket Max or whatever....12 months HBO....all other movies for 3 months....$300 gift card (not $200)....and a pretty low monthly payment across the board....lower than what I was paying....
She lives elsewhere? Could your wife have done this for you guys or is there some home address,new customer thng that they rrace?

She lives elsewhere? Could your wife have done this for you guys or is there some home address,new customer thng that they rrace?
she lives about 30 minutes away and doesn't have directTV.....

wife and I did the bounce back and forth thing a few times, even using her maiden name one time....then they somehow started flagging it...not sure what it was....but yeah you can do the wife thing....think you could even do a kid thing if they are old enough....only thing we had to do was sign something that said my MIL was "renting" from us and they had permission to install new equipment (sat rec) if necessary...

she lives about 30 minutes away and doesn't have directTV.....

wife and I did the bounce back and forth thing a few times, even using her maiden name one time....then they somehow started flagging it...not sure what it was....but yeah you can do the wife thing....think you could even do a kid thing if they are old enough....only thing we had to do was sign something that said my MIL was "renting" from us and they had permission to install new equipment (sat rec) if necessary...
hmm...Very Interesting. So Mrs Ref (I couldn't do "Mrs Stinkin", just didn't seem right) would call up and say "Hi I'm Mrs Ref, no relation to that Stinkin guy. And I just moved into 123 Main Street and want the Directv new customer , cheap and free everything Directv" And they would say "OK Mrs No-relation-to-the-Stinkin Ref guy. We'll be out tomorrow". And then rinse and repeat the following year with you as the "New" customer since "you" have been off their books for a year?

New customer is 2-year contract, though, right?

hmm...Very Interesting. So Mrs Ref (I couldn't do "Mrs Stinkin", just didn't seem right) would call up and say "Hi I'm Mrs Ref, no relation to that Stinkin guy. And I just moved into 123 Main Street and want the Directv new customer , cheap and free everything Directv" And they would say "OK Mrs No-relation-to-the-Stinkin Ref guy. We'll be out tomorrow". And then rinse and repeat the following year two years later with you as the "New" customer since "you" have been off their books for a year?
They'll want a 2-year contract for a new customer.

hmm...Very Interesting. So Mrs Ref (I couldn't do "Mrs Stinkin", just didn't seem right) would call up and say "Hi I'm Mrs Ref, no relation to that Stinkin guy. And I just moved into 123 Main Street and want the Directv new customer , cheap and free everything Directv" And they would say "OK Mrs No-relation-to-the-Stinkin Ref guy. We'll be out tomorrow". And then rinse and repeat the following year with you as the "New" customer since "you" have been off their books for a year?
basically yes....we learned to play that game from one of those off shoot booths you will see at a local community days festival or arts picnic or carnival or something.....not sure what the official word is for them....but basically local guys that can contract out with Direct TV and get you deals, etc....they obviously grabbed my attention initially with a big sign that said "Free Sunday Ticket"....that was several years ago....it was always a two year thing, first year free ticket, second year half price....plus some other perks....."their" guys came out and did all the switch over, boxes etc....then they said come back two years later, we will switch the name and do it all over again, rinse and repeat...that started becoming more difficult.....with the flagging of some sort....

I called back today to move up my cancel date, finally got a decent rep (Sabrina Reyes with loyalty) and instead of changing my date, she cancelled my cancellation, she asked why I was leaving and we discussed the ticket. While it isn't the super deal of the past she basically is going to charge me the $395 for sunday ticket and give me $60 credit per month for 12 months for $720 in credits. No contract or anything. I don't have to deal with the cancelling hassle, took it and ran. I'm happy enough

I called back today to move up my cancel date, finally got a decent rep (Sabrina Reyes with loyalty) and instead of changing my date, she cancelled my cancellation, she asked why I was leaving and we discussed the ticket. While it isn't the super deal of the past she basically is going to charge me the $395 for sunday ticket and give me $60 credit per month for 12 months for $720 in credits. No contract or anything. I don't have to deal with the cancelling hassle, took it and ran. I'm happy enough
This is exactly the kind of deal I've taken in the past and would be happy to get now. Basically get ST for free and some extra savings on the side without having to disconnect or have a contact. Wonder if I could call and get that same agent?

@Aunt JemimaSo if my calculations are accurate you’re getting Sunday Ticket Free ($395 credit) and an additional $27 off your TV package per month for a year. Is this correct? So what will that make your monthly bill then if you don’t mind me asking.

Well I have gotten nowhere. Disconnected late Sunday night. Finally showing as disconnected in their system. I called twice and both times was told that there are no promotions for me.  Part of the problem was that I had large discounts that would roll off at end of September.  One call the guy said he would send me 200 dollar gift card with no discounts and I should call back later after I reactivated. I declined.

I think I'm going to try Sling for a month and see if I start getting DirecTV emails before week 1.

This is exactly the kind of deal I've taken in the past and would be happy to get now. Basically get ST for free and some extra savings on the side without having to disconnect or have a contact. Wonder if I could call and get that same agent?
I agree...I actually don't mind paying a little for Sunday Ticket....it is a great service.  But with his deal its free plus some. I would have done the same thing if offered.  I think my problem was I still had a 12 month $60 monthly credit showing on my account so I couldn't get a new deal until it came off.

Well I have gotten nowhere. Disconnected late Sunday night. Finally showing as disconnected in their system. I called twice and both times was told that there are no promotions for me.  Part of the problem was that I had large discounts that would roll off at end of September.  One call the guy said he would send me 200 dollar gift card with no discounts and I should call back later after I reactivated. I declined.

I think I'm going to try Sling for a month and see if I start getting DirecTV emails before week 1.
You could just try having a wife/family member etc cold call as a new customer and give your address.

They offered me that I said no

I will say that I had discounts on my account (about $100 off a month) that ran until 10/26. They didn't seem to be an issue with getting a winback offer after cancelling. 

I got the email from dtv with the instructions to return my boxes.  I'm kind of surprised they want these boxes that at least 8 and probably closer to 12 years old.

I'm off Friday. I'm going to make one last call then and if nothing comes out if it then I'm sending the boxes back.

I got the email from dtv with the instructions to return my boxes.  I'm kind of surprised they want these boxes that at least 8 and probably closer to 12 years old.

I'm off Friday. I'm going to make one last call then and if nothing comes out if it then I'm sending the boxes back.
Try the 888 number and not the number in the email?

Just called to cancel and got Loyalty dept. They refunded the 1st ST payment charged last month and set up a cancel date for 8/25. No attempt to keep me, but I did mention Disney+ when asked why I was cancelling. I'm sure that's a buzz word with the recent announcement. 

I just called to cancel and was forwarded to the loyalty department.  They offered nothing at all.  I set a cancellation date for 8/24/19.  I'll call the 855 number in a week or two to see if they can do anything.  I just finished a 2 year contract, so, I'm not sure if that matters.  I'll post what happens on the next call.

I just called to cancel and was forwarded to the loyalty department.  They offered nothing at all.  I set a cancellation date for 8/24/19.  I'll call the 855 number in a week or two to see if they can do anything.  I just finished a 2 year contract, so, I'm not sure if that matters.  I'll post what happens on the next call.
Whatever happens, don’t sign another 2 year agreement!!

Yea when I finally cancelled all my equipment was old too.  They told me I had nothing to return.

They pretty much decided they aren't giving the house away anymore. Everyone trying to get something for nothing, just isn't working anymore. Glad I got out.

However, those of us who are looking to get something for a fair price can still do it.
Yeah...got my $65 off last fall.  May still try to call and get the ticket.  But more likely leaving DTV.  Not under contract anymore....and more and more the customer service at ATT is just as crappy as Comcast/Xfinity was.

Getting a decent enough offer to get rid of DTV to switch back to cable now (if I choose any TV service)...and it is worth it as more and more any big rain and Im out a signal now anyway.  May just need the dish updated...but the issues I have had with customer service may be the tipping point to finally get rid of them.  More shopping internet prices now than TV.

Hey guys, decided to try the cancel and call back tactic after reading this chain.  I waited until my service was disconnected (around 7AM this morning) and called the winback number 888-333-0804 to see if I could secure a deal.  First try, I ended up speaking to someone overseas and  hung and dialed again.  I then spoke to someone in the States and she immediately began offering promotions without me even asking.  I was paying $129/mo for just the entertainment package.  I now have the choice package and the below addons.

Free Sunday Ticket Max, Free HBO 12 Mo., Free Starz, Showtime and Cinemax for 3 Mo., a $200 Visa giftcard, and $60 off my monthly bill.  Total bill will be $67/Mo. for all of this.

Definitely think the full disconnect and call back option is the way to go!

Hey guys, decided to try the cancel and call back tactic after reading this chain.  I waited until my service was disconnected (around 7AM this morning) and called the winback number 888-333-0804 to see if I could secure a deal.  First try, I ended up speaking to someone overseas and  hung and dialed again.  I then spoke to someone in the States and she immediately began offering promotions without me even asking.  I was paying $129/mo for just the entertainment package.  I now have the choice package and the below addons.

Free Sunday Ticket Max, Free HBO 12 Mo., Free Starz, Showtime and Cinemax for 3 Mo., a $200 Visa giftcard, and $60 off my monthly bill.  Total bill will be $67/Mo. for all of this.

I got pretty much the same offer, but I had to keep asking for things; and it took a really long time. 

good to hear

did you get a similar deal last year and did you sign a contract?

did you get a similar deal last year and did you sign a contract?
Last year I simply called and threatened to cancel and got $55 off for 12 mo..  This time I actually went through with cancellation and then called the win back number.  12 mo. contract.  Pretty pleased with the results!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, if you actually disconnect and have no service for some period of time, when you  get reconnected, does your DVR still have everything on it that you recorded. 

It looks like the answer is yes, but I just want confirmation.  Has anyone had a problem where they lost recordings or knows of someone who has. 

So, if you actually disconnect and have no service for some period of time, when you  get reconnected, does your DVR still have everything on it that you recorded. 

It looks like the answer is yes, but I just want confirmation.  Has anyone had a problem where they lost recordings or knows of someone who has. 
All I can tell you is that I have never lost mine and I’ve been disconnected doing this. 

Cancelled my service today.  I'm going out of town for the weekend so we will see if the winback offer comes in while I'm gone.

BTW - they offered $10 off a month on a $137/month bill.  lol  The rep even said "Well, that isn't very good and I'm surprised there isn't more available to you."

I've done this dance a bunch of times and we will see if they step up and make a great offer.  If not, then I'll likely go to cable or streaming somehow.

Did the disconnect and call back and didn't get any offers at all, even when asking.  I didn't feel like hanging up and doing it again.  Switched over to cox.  

Did the disconnect and call back and didn't get any offers at all, even when asking.  I didn't feel like hanging up and doing it again.  Switched over to cox.  
I already have Fioptics so if they do the same after disconnect, I’ll jusr take equipment to UPS Store and be done with them.  

Long story short, I only kept Directv for the past year for NFLSTMAX from last year and my monthly bill for Choice package was $27/month.   I had HBO for a little while but cancelled that to get bill to $27 

Last edited by a moderator:

Ive been disconnected since April and we are still catching up on shows we recorded last year

Users who are viewing this thread