What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (4 Viewers)

Shows my bill as negative $63.00 for my 8/7 auto deduction.  I don't get why they just can't have a real time generated amount when you log on-line.  Was told my bill would be around $80 in August before it turns to $30 in September, we shall see.

Shows my bill as negative $63.00 for my 8/7 auto deduction.  I don't get why they just can't have a real time generated amount when you log on-line.  Was told my bill would be around $80 in August before it turns to $30 in September, we shall see.
You know they were acquired by AT&T, right? 

Ok, the game has started. My auto-bill was paid last night and it came in over $100 more than last month. It had the first installment of Sunday Ticket and I lost my $50 discount. 

I just called to disconnect. They offered me $60 off...I said no. They offered their streaming service instead of satellite...I said no. Then they offered me a buy 1 get 1 free AT&T cell phone...no thanks.  

Disconnect is done, boxes are on their way. We’ll see if they call back. 

Ok, the game has started. My auto-bill was paid last night and it came in over $100 more than last month. It had the first installment of Sunday Ticket and I lost my $50 discount. 

I just called to disconnect. They offered me $60 off...I said no. They offered their streaming service instead of satellite...I said no. Then they offered me a buy 1 get 1 free AT&T cell phone...no thanks.  

JFC, it's 2018 people.  There is zero reason to have a satellite dish in your back yard to watch tv.  Unless of course you're so far out that's the only way you can get internet.

tonydead said:
JFC, it's 2018 people.  There is zero reason to have a satellite dish in your back yard to watch tv.  Unless of course you're so far out that's the only way you can get internet.
To be fair you could also say "it's 2018 and no one should have to put up with the complete drek that masquerades as DVR's on the many streaming services."

Having to watch commercials on shows that I DVRed is an absolute show stopper for me.

For my family it is a million times more important to have a good DVR that I use every single day than worry about a dish I never see. 

Every streaming service has some sort of short coming in their DVR service, whether it be lack of ability to save shows forever or being forced to watch commercials in shows that have been recorded, or not being able to extend recordings for sports programs; the list goes on and on depending on which service you are using.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair you could also say "it's 2018 and no one should have to put up with the complete drek that masquerades as DVR's on the many streaming services."

Having to watch commercials on shows that I DVRed is an absolute show stopper for me.

For my family it is a million times more important to have a good DVR that I use every single day than worry about a dish I never see.
So the “20 free hours of FREE DVR” has commercials you have to watch?

So the “20 free hours of FREE DVR” has commercials you have to watch?
one example is youtube tv.

After you "record" the item, they replace it with the "on demand" version of the show if it applies.  You can't skip commercials in the on demand shows.

You can imagine the reaction when this policy was put in place.  Being forced to watch commercials?  The whole reason I DVR is to skip that crap.

You have to research each service and make sure you understand the short comings in each one.  Like others in the thread have mentioned, the short comings were enough to plug the cord back in for some.  For others they are not as much an issue.

Never listen to anyone who tells you have to switch or that you have to stay.  Everyone's needs and issues are different so just find out what works for your family.

I am thankful I got another great deal from DTV which gives me another 12 months to see how the online services evolve.

we have att cell bill intertwined in our directv.  It will be interesting to see how it all plays out when I call to cancel to get a better deal.  We do have unlimited data which is great with two teenage boys. 

we have att cell bill intertwined in our directv.  It will be interesting to see how it all plays out when I call to cancel to get a better deal.  We do have unlimited data which is great with two teenage boys. 
Yes, one of the reasons why I chose to keep my bills separate.  I knew I would be doing the yearly cancel with Directv.  I think you get an extra $10 off a month if you combine, but it wasn't worth it for me.

Agree with the downsides re streaming.  If your connection/speed isn't great, it's frustrating waiting to buffer, you can't rewind as easily, etc.

Anxiously waiting for my last billing cycle to end so I can cancel and see what deal I can swing this year.

avoiding injuries said:

They never call me.  I'd just call them and say someone called earlier but I was at work.  870-345-3640

Looked at it. Didn’t see regional sports channels, nfl network or Sunday Ticket access. Basically the 3 reasons I have cable/Directv. 
DVR issues plus impacting my ability to watch the NFL game still I want and Predators games I want and any games Inwant when I want to watch them. With kids in multiple activities, I don’t watch TV live...it’s all DVRd and until there is a great option...I keep the dish on the roof.

I've been with Directv 18 years now, I never actually cancel never box my stuff up, get different deals every year. Called today and just say hey I play fantasy football, just want red zone can I just have that etc. cable has it, it is cheap, this max package is too expensive etc. Spent 20 minutes on the call. No contract or anything

Sunday ticket max        $395

Credit #1       $26x12 (312)

Credit #2       $60x12 (720)

Net charge is a credit ($637)

I know others will do better but took 20 minutes, I'm done, no hassle and I'm happy enough

Without going back through pages and pages, what should I expect or ask for? If they don’t offer Sunday Ticket I’m out anyway. 

disconnected at midnight.  Called the 870-345-3640 number 16 hours later and said I got a call but couldn’t talk as I was at work (got no call).  Lady was very nice and said yes we want you back etc as you probably just disconnected and we want to know why and can offer more than what you were previously.

Got $47 off 12 month commitment and then $65 more off 12 was the only other offer that showed up so she’s giving both.   Said my bill will be $25.49 plus tax for choice extra and three TVs. I said you can’t be serious.  

She gave me a number and told me to ask for her next year but I’ll call that bluff. Next year it’s back up to $130-140.  The number for next year is 855-291-0398 Alana.

Also getting Sunday Ticket max at no charge.  

She also took off $30 off my large August bill and then an additional $48.99 season ticket charge (they already took it off) to get August’s bill to around $80. 

disconnected at midnight.  Called the 870-345-3640 number 16 hours later and said I got a call but couldn’t talk as I was at work (got no call).  Lady was very nice and said yes we want you back etc as you probably just disconnected and we want to know why and can offer more than what you were previously.

Got $47 off 12 month commitment and then $65 more off 12 was the only other offer that showed up so she’s giving both.   Said my bill will be $25.49 plus tax for choice extra and three TVs. I said you can’t be serious.  

She gave me a number and told me to ask for her next year but I’ll call that bluff. Next year it’s back up to $130-140.  The number for next year is 855-291-0398 Alana.

She also took off $30 off my large August bill and then an additional $48.99 season ticket charge (they already took it off) to get August’s bill to around $80. 
$25 a month for 3 TVs and Sunday Ticket Max? Includes DVR and HD as well?

i just missed a call about 30 minutes ago. 

$25 a month for 3 TVs and Sunday Ticket Max? Includes DVR and HD as well?

i just missed a call about 30 minutes ago. 
Yeah I was shocked, haven't seen it on a bill yet, won't until September.  My August bill shows $-63 right now, so it wouldn't surprise me if September/October are free or they messed it all up and it's $140 a month.

Ok. Just got done. Total bill will be $43 plus sales tax (2.44) a month. I got Sunday Ticket at no charge, but not max (???). I got a $60 credit and then an additional $30 credit per month for 12 months. No contract and 6 mos of HBO and Cinemax that will automatically roll off. 

Difference from last year: No $200 gift card and no Red Zone, but my bill is going to be $45 cheaper a month. Unless Red Zone costs $340 or more, I did better than last year. 

Thanks @Gottabesweet

Just called to cancel the Sunday ticket.  Plan on cancelling completely and seeing what they offer.
Actually did call back & cancel service on this date (7/23).  Have been disconnected since then - and no call yet.  Will catch up on this thread and see what a good number might be to call back.  

Looks like they are no longer sending out actual boxes to return your equipment - that is where I got the offer last year.  Will report back on what comes next.  :thumbup:

Actually did call back & cancel service on this date (7/23).  Have been disconnected since then - and no call yet.  Will catch up on this thread and see what a good number might be to call back.  

Looks like they are no longer sending out actual boxes to return your equipment - that is where I got the offer last year.  Will report back on what comes next.  :thumbup:
Called the 870-345-3640 number and they offered the $65 off/month, but nothing with ST or ST max.

Also got my last bill & they didn't take off the 1st $49 payment for ST that auto renewed - so made that call to get the $49 credited & will try back after the weekend to see if they can do any better.

Note to self: remember to cancel that auto renew at the end of the season!

Called the 870-345-3640 number and they offered the $65 off/month, but nothing with ST or ST max.

Also got my last bill & they didn't take off the 1st $49 payment for ST that auto renewed - so made that call to get the $49 credited & will try back after the weekend to see if they can do any better.

Note to self: remember to cancel that auto renew at the end of the season!
Well I called the 870-345-3640 number again and they offered choice package (1 TV/HD/DVR) with ST Max for $37 plus tax for 12 mos (total bill).  (Official pricing is something like $82/mo with $85 off/mo?). 

So, if that actually goes through, this will have been a pretty painless process for some decent discounts.   :thumbup:

Will report any issues if they surface further down the road.

Well I called the 870-345-3640 number again and they offered choice package (1 TV/HD/DVR) with ST Max for $37 plus tax for 12 mos (total bill).  (Official pricing is something like $82/mo with $85 off/mo?). 

So, if that actually goes through, this will have been a pretty painless process for some decent discounts.   :thumbup:

Will report any issues if they surface further down the road.
Interesting.  Here is what the actual charges & credits look like from the "recent activity" section:

CHOICE - Charge$82.99   $5.71

DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service - Charge$3.00  $0.26

NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2018 - Charge$65.99  $4.54

Advanced Receiver-HD - Charge$10.00   $0.69

Advanced Receiver-DVR - Charge$10.00  $0.00

High Valued Customer - Charge$0.00   $0.00

High Valued Customer - Charge$0.00    $0.00

Reconnect Customer - Charge$0.00     $0.00

Advanced Receiver-HD - Disconnect Adj($10.00)    ($0.69)

Regional Sports Fee - Charge$5.23    $0.36

NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2018 HD - Charge$0.00     $0.00

CHOICE - $60/12months($60.00)   ($4.13)

CHOICE - $55/12months($55.00)   ($3.78)

CHOICE - $25 off AdvRcvr($25.00)    ($1.72)

Looks like it does indeed come out to about $37/mo plus tax - and they actually are charging me for ST MAX & found a way to credit it back.

Works for me.  

It really sucks you have to cancel to get them to negotiate with you.  Seems like a lot of work on their end when they could just offer the deals prior to cancellation.  The 870-345-3640 and 855-291-0398 numbers can only be used if you have cancelled.

I have an "antiquated plan" that was running me $163/mo.  Our hardware was old.

Wife called and got them to give us a free upgrade to Genie2 gear, a 24 month contract, and no discounts.

I called today and got the bill down to $93/mo with a 12 mos contract and the same free gear.  They would not give me NFL ticket, though.  Bummer.

Interesting.  Here is what the actual charges & credits look like from the "recent activity" section:

CHOICE - Charge$82.99   $5.71

DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service - Charge$3.00  $0.26

NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2018 - Charge$65.99  $4.54

Advanced Receiver-DVR - Charge$10.00  $0.00

High Valued Customer - Charge$0.00   $0.00

High Valued Customer - Charge$0.00    $0.00

Reconnect Customer - Charge$0.00     $0.00

Advanced Receiver-HD - Disconnect Adj($10.00)    ($0.69)

Regional Sports Fee - Charge$5.23    $0.36

NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2018 HD - Charge$0.00     $0.00

CHOICE - $60/12months($60.00)   ($4.13)

CHOICE - $55/12months($55.00)   ($3.78)

CHOICE - $25 off AdvRcvr($25.00)    ($1.72)

Looks like it does indeed come out to about $37/mo plus tax - and they actually are charging me for ST MAX & found a way to credit it back.

Works for me.  
Where did you find the breakdown?

I just got off the phone.  Called the number given previously in this thread, and simply said that I needed to cancel the ST package.  After I gave her my account info, she asked me to hold.  90 seconds later she came back on and said that since I was a "highest tier customer" (or something like that), she was giving me ST free and $50/month off my bill.  Honestly, that is all it took, I simply asked them to cancel the ST and nothing else.

FWIW -- I am under contract for another 1.5 years, having received the Genie equipment upgrade this year.

Obviously Saturday is not the day to call if you are in a time crunch as I was hold for quite awhile. 

Bill went from $215 (50 from Sunday Ticket) to $114, keeping the Ticket. I did lose some channels we didn’t use. 

For you guys trying to get deals.  Directv just sent me a letter trying to get me back.  They were offering free nfl package and entertainment pkg for $45 plus $200 gift card.  So I guess the gift cards must be back.

Obviously Saturday is not the day to call if you are in a time crunch as I was hold for quite awhile. 

Bill went from $215 (50 from Sunday Ticket) to $114, keeping the Ticket. I did lose some channels we didn’t use. 
they are also busy beginning of the month because everyone just got hit with the first sunday ticket charge, everyone is calling this week

Context below.

I could not get them to budge this year with the Max, so I will be sending my equipment back. (As expected, there was a deal attached to the recovery kit: great discount on programming and a $200 Visa gift card, but no mention whatsoever of the Ticket.

I was a customer for eight years, and I never once paid for the Ticket. Maybe I just maxed out my discounts? Maybe things are different this year — maybe they're being stingier with the Max? No idea. It's a bummer, and I will definitely miss being able to watch football at home, but it is what it is.

I wonder if a month or so from now they'll mail me a new customer offer that's exactly what I want — or maybe Max just isn't part of their new-customer promotions anymore.

[July 26]I canceled yesterday, and as expected, I received a call today. Started great. Lots of talk of "loyalty" and "loyalty points". Big discounts would get my bill down to $40 a month, plus free Sunday Ticket. But as hard as the account manager tried — and I could hear him clicking away, trying everything he could — he could not get me the Max for free. And without the Red Zone channel, it's practically worthless to me.

Hoping that I get a second call. I know that they also send out emails sometimes, and sometimes there's an offer attached to the last bill and/or the send-the-receivers-back package that you get after canceling. I'll post updates as they happen.

[July 25I ] made the call today: I know it's time when I see that first Sunday Ticket installment on my bill. I just straight-up canceled. (The offers that customer retention offered me were garbage.) I did the same thing last year — I canceled, then someone called the next day (see my post from last year, which I've quoted below) to offer me all kinds of good stuff.

What helps me, though, is that I'm not bluffing. I'm fine with ditching cable and saving some money, and my Sundays in the fall are usually busy anyway. And when I do have time to watch games, I'm fine with heading to a friend's house.

[August 2017] It went the same for me as it did last year. Yesterday I called and canceled. This evening I got a call from "my" account manager. (The call came from Auburn, AL, for those who screen their phone calls.) After some cursory questions about why I canceled (I said money) and what channels I like to watch, I was offered $39 off per month for 12 months on the Choice package; other discounts that got rid of the stupid equipment and DVR fees, as well as that stupid regional sports fee; another $10 off for agreeing to auto-pay; HBO, Showtime, and Starz for three months; complimentary Sunday Ticket Max (I point out the "complimentary" thing because that's not a word they've used before); and a $200 Visa gift card. Total monthly bill will be around $50. The nice women I spoke to threw out the "perfect solution" thing, which I think was their go-to phrase last year.

Context below.

I could not get them to budge this year with the Max, so I will be sending my equipment back. (As expected, there was a deal attached to the recovery kit: great discount on programming and a $200 Visa gift card, but no mention whatsoever of the Ticket.

I was a customer for eight years, and I never once paid for the Ticket. Maybe I just maxed out my discounts? Maybe things are different this year — maybe they're being stingier with the Max? No idea. It's a bummer, and I will definitely miss being able to watch football at home, but it is what it is.

I wonder if a month or so from now they'll mail me a new customer offer that's exactly what I want — or maybe Max just isn't part of their new-customer promotions anymore.
If you see my earlier post - they charged me full price for ST Max, but loaded on all sorts of discounts on to offset the charges. 

Wow this is outstanding.  Kudos to you!

I just got off the phone.  Called the number given previously in this thread, and simply said that I needed to cancel the ST package.  After I gave her my account info, she asked me to hold.  90 seconds later she came back on and said that since I was a "highest tier customer" (or something like that), she was giving me ST free and $50/month off my bill.  Honestly, that is all it took, I simply asked them to cancel the ST and nothing else.

FWIW -- I am under contract for another 1.5 years, having received the Genie equipment upgrade this year.
So odd. I did the same as you.   I am supposedly a highest tier customer too, but all the guy was giving me was $60 something off a month (I had previously negotiated for the second year to be $54 off a month, so he was just increasing it by $6).  I realize that I'm still getting $60 off a month for this second year after resigning up last year, so technically I'm still getting something, but it doesn't feel like enough.  I'm going to disconnect and then hopefully get the awesome deal up above.

18 months into dropping Directv (bill was $172 my last month with them) and moving to their streaming service, Directv Now.  $40 even per month, including HBO.  No boxes, no satellite, no paying service fees or taxes or remotes rental fees etc. 

dancingbones said:
If you see my earlier post - they charged me full price for ST Max, but loaded on all sorts of discounts on to offset the charges. 
They want to be able to report out a high revenue number for Sunday Ticket/Max.  They'll take the hit below the line.

Just made my annual call as the 1st installment for ST hit my bill. Didn't go the cancellation route this time, just called the normal customer service # and said that I wanted to check for promotions. I'm on the Premier plan with 3 TVs and currently starting the 2nd year of $63 per month discounts, which brings the cost of Premier down to $122 per month.

When the agent came on the line I said that our bill had gone up due to the renewal of ST and we were looking for a way to decrease our costs. She said asked if I was interested in ST or ST Max and I said whichever I could get cheaper was fine with me. Turns out there is a better deal going on with Max than regular ST. For regular ST she offered a monthly discount of $12 which would have brought the monthly installment for ST down to $37 from $49. However, for Max I would not only receive that discount but also a $35 monthly credit on the account which meant that I would pay $18 per month for 6 months for ST Max.

I took the offer for ST Max and the call was over in 5 minutes. Next year when our current 2 year contract ends I'll be in better position to go the cancellation route if necessary.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but you can cancel while still in contract and won’t be charged the early termination fee if you sign back up. Your new contract also starts on the date you re-signed, not added on to your previous contract. 

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but you can cancel while still in contract and won’t be charged the early termination fee if you sign back up. Your new contract also starts on the date you re-signed, not added on to your previous contract. 
Correct. Have done this the past two years. Unless something has changed this ear,

Just made my annual call as the 1st installment for ST hit my bill. Didn't go the cancellation route this time, just called the normal customer service # and said that I wanted to check for promotions. I'm on the Premier plan with 3 TVs and currently starting the 2nd year of $63 per month discounts, which brings the cost of Premier down to $122 per month.

When the agent came on the line I said that our bill had gone up due to the renewal of ST and we were looking for a way to decrease our costs. She said asked if I was interested in ST or ST Max and I said whichever I could get cheaper was fine with me. Turns out there is a better deal going on with Max than regular ST. For regular ST she offered a monthly discount of $12 which would have brought the monthly installment for ST down to $37 from $49. However, for Max I would not only receive that discount but also a $35 monthly credit on the account which meant that I would pay $18 per month for 6 months for ST Max.

I took the offer for ST Max and the call was over in 5 minutes. Next year when our current 2 year contract ends I'll be in better position to go the cancellation route if necessary.
which phone number you called?

Good to know, wasn't aware it worked like that. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread