What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Subscriber Contest (2 Viewers)

why is no one talking about the contest this year? I realize some people are very competitive and don't want to give away their "secrets" but not that many people are in the shark pool compared to how many people are in the contest, so I don't think it is horrible to share some of the obvious picks that you think represent huge value. This contest is fun to change your line up two hundred times before the start of the season and hearing other peoples ideas just makes me change again and again.

my hopes right now are on Thomas Jones and B Tate since they are cheap and have some potential to be worth much higher than the cost.

why is no one talking about the contest this year? I realize some people are very competitive and don't want to give away their "secrets" but not that many people are in the shark pool compared to how many people are in the contest, so I don't think it is horrible to share some of the obvious picks that you think represent huge value. This contest is fun to change your line up two hundred times before the start of the season and hearing other peoples ideas just makes me change again and again.my hopes right now are on Thomas Jones and B Tate since they are cheap and have some potential to be worth much higher than the cost.
I've had both on my roster and took them off. Probably worth the cost but I'm thinking TJones isn't a guy that will win this thing. Tate just might be. Personally, I just haven't settled on a strategy yet, been all over the place with only a handful of players unchanged since the first try. I've gone from stud heavy to max roster spots, 4 QBs to 2, back up. Heavy WR to more balanced to heavy TE. 22 Kickers to 20 D...

why is no one talking about the contest this year? I realize some people are very competitive and don't want to give away their "secrets" but not that many people are in the shark pool compared to how many people are in the contest, so I don't think it is horrible to share some of the obvious picks that you think represent huge value. This contest is fun to change your line up two hundred times before the start of the season and hearing other peoples ideas just makes me change again and again.my hopes right now are on Thomas Jones and B Tate since they are cheap and have some potential to be worth much higher than the cost.
I've had both on my roster and took them off. Probably worth the cost but I'm thinking TJones isn't a guy that will win this thing. Tate just might be. Personally, I just haven't settled on a strategy yet, been all over the place with only a handful of players unchanged since the first try. I've gone from stud heavy to max roster spots, 4 QBs to 2, back up. Heavy WR to more balanced to heavy TE. 22 Kickers to 20 D...
My current entry has 30 players:4 QBs, all under $13 7 RBs, all under $258 WRs, all under $114 TEs, all under $164 Kickers, all $23 Defenses, I tried to spread out at every position to minimize bye-week issues. Some value guys i like:Strougher, Douglas, Nanee, Chambers, SchilensI spent a little extra on TEs because 1) they get 1.5 PPR, and 2) they count for flex

This contest is hurting my brain and severely decreasing my productivity at work.

Am I crazy enough to stick with my current mix of 4 RB and 10 WR? Oh, I'm crazy. Yes.

Going balls to the wall.

Half my team has the same bye week and it's relatively early. If I make it through that week, I'm money the rest of the way.

Here are some of my early thoughts:I like a stud QB and one backup this year since I can't seem to find another $5 Warner this year. Brees was my first thought but with a week 10 bye, I scratched him off and decided Romo with a week 4 bye was a much better bye (and a couple of $$'s cheaper). I like Campbell as a backup.At RB, I went with Gore as the cheapest of the Big 5. After that, one guy I wanted for sure was Arian Foster. I want at least 4 RB's with a chance to get points, so I'm still looking for one RB between Gore and Foster and one bargain bin guy.At WR, it is volume and value for me. I currently have 8 on the roster and started with Miles Austin (again week 4 bye a big plus). I'm very high on Ochocinco and filled in with a bunch of WR3-5 guys with the talent for an occasional big game like Burleson and Golden Tate.TE have 4 and started with Owen Daniels as the best high receptions bargain. Filled in with 3 lower end guys with upside.PK went with 4 cheaper options.DEF same as PK.That's where I'm at right now. Let me know if you see any holes in this, but I'm sure I'll change it about 100 times. I'm not real high on Miles Austin actually and I'm looking for a better WR1, but love having a week 4 bye for a guy on a high octane offense.

I haven't been happy with a 30 man roster yet.

27 or 28 seems to be my max. I'm at 27 right now.

2 QB

8 RB

9 WR

3 TE

3 K

2 D

Wow, just took my first crack at it right now. There's certainly less bargains this time around. This should be a good one. :jawdrop:

ETA: 18 for $250 :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
24 at $250.
26 at $250. It sucks when you get to $249, the $1 players almost certainly aren't worth taking and trying to modify the roster to use that extra $1 could bite you if you switch the wrong player. Any chance of getting Anthony Dixon added in place of Coffee?

24 at $250.
26 at $250. It sucks when you get to $249, the $1 players almost certainly aren't worth taking and trying to modify the roster to use that extra $1 could bite you if you switch the wrong player. Any chance of getting Anthony Dixon added in place of Coffee?
I don't believe any changes can be made once the contest goes live. I'm sure someone else can confirm this.

24 at $250.
I don't believe any changes can be made once the contest goes live. I'm sure someone else can confirm this.
Once they are set, they are set. Favre has been notable absent from this contest in the past for this reason.-QG

24 at $250.
I didn't know if that was a decision made each year, not to change things, or if it really "couldn't" be changed. I missed the Favre omission in the past, I guess he would have been more relevant than Dixon.

24 at $250.
I didn't know if that was a decision made each year, not to change things, or if it really "couldn't" be changed. I missed the Favre omission in the past, I guess he would have been more relevant than Dixon.
The problem is that every year there are probably people who pick a team early and that's it because they simply forget about it. If even one person picks a team before a change, my guess is that changing a player could pose legal problems and really isn't worth the potential headache.

I have changed my team everyday for this contest. Heavy on QB's and TE's - and then money on WR. Playing where the points are that is my strategy this year.

I am torn about my WR1. On one hand, I want a stud like Austin or Moss. On the other hand, that's a lot of money to spend on one roster spot. I am leaning towards spending that $26 on two lower tier guys.

I have changed my team everyday for this contest. Heavy on QB's and TE's - and then money on WR. Playing where the points are that is my strategy this year.
:heart: Why would you want guys who score points? You might actually win the contest or something if you do that!-QG

So far I'm pretty set on my WR lineup. I really want to skim something off to upgrade QB2, but it's a difficult task.

:tumbleweed: Why would you want guys who score points? You might actually win the contest or something if you do that!-QG
I was just saying I like having Brees and Romo at 6pts a TD and Gates and Clark at 1.5 points a Reception. I will build around those numbers!

:lmao: Why would you want guys who score points? You might actually win the contest or something if you do that!-QG
I was just saying I like having Brees and Romo at 6pts a TD and Gates and Clark at 1.5 points a Reception. I will build around those numbers!
I can understand the TE's since they count for flex, but the dual top QB's is a waste as you can only count 1 of them each week. That's too much wasted $$, IMO.

I am confused...does it take the best combination of 1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX, 1 K, and 1 TD that you have on your roster, or do you get points every week for all the players you select?

Currently at

3QB, 4 RB, 7 WR, 3 TE, 4 K, and 3 TD, but may change depending on how the scoring works. Also, I assume you keep the same roster the whole year, correct?

I am confused...does it take the best combination of 1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX, 1 K, and 1 TD that you have on your roster, or do you get points every week for all the players you select?Currently at3QB, 4 RB, 7 WR, 3 TE, 4 K, and 3 TD, but may change depending on how the scoring works. Also, I assume you keep the same roster the whole year, correct?
the first part. they take the best 1qb, 2rb, 3wr,1te, 1 flex(does not include qb), 1 k and t Def

I am confused...does it take the best combination of 1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX, 1 K, and 1 TD that you have on your roster, or do you get points every week for all the players you select?

Currently at

3QB, 4 RB, 7 WR, 3 TE, 4 K, and 3 TD, but may change depending on how the scoring works. Also, I assume you keep the same roster the whole year, correct?
Below is a link to the contest rules. Link

Jayrod said:
eaglezzz said:
I can understand the TE's since they count for flex, but the dual top QB's is a waste as you can only count 1 of them each week. That's too much wasted $$, IMO.
well, I basically agree with you, but there is something to be desired about that, considering QBs are gettign 1/20 yds, 6:1 TDspretty much guarantees a huge week @ the highest scoring positionthat being stated, I'm with you. I didn't go for 2 high end QBs although I darn sure gave it consideration, and if you're confident in your RB/WR sleepers, it's not a bad strategy (assuming it works! :blackdot: )

jdoggydogg said:
I am torn about my WR1. On one hand, I want a stud like Austin or Moss. On the other hand, that's a lot of money to spend on one roster spot. I am leaning towards spending that $26 on two lower tier guys.
I am having the same problem. Every time I think about the stud, I say something like "I'd like to have Wayne, but I could get good WR in that offense for over 1/2 the amount." As people have stated, there seems to be a lot less bargains this year than past years. Very hard to take a couple of studs and sift through the $2-$4 guys and get a couple decent sleepers. So far I only have 2 $5 players and 1 $4 player I like, and that it what is bogging me down. Also trying to avoid byes at all costs - currently have 5 RBs with 5 different byes and 6WRs with 5 different byes.

Here's my first go, did this a few weeks back and have only made minor changes since. I'd appreciate some criticism/reviews as this is the first time I've ever been part of the contest.

QB - Carson Palmer - CIN/6 - $16

QB - Matthew Stafford - DET/7 - $16

QB - Jason Campbell - OAK/10 - $11

RB - DeAngelo Williams - CAR/6 - $28

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - NYG/8 - $18

RB - Michael Bush - OAK/10 - $16

RB - Willis McGahee - BAL/8 - $8

WR - Roddy White - ATL/8 - $27

WR - Jabar Gaffney - DEN/9 - $16

WR - Mike Williams - TB/4 - $8

WR - Arrelious Benn - TB/4 - $7

WR - Dexter McCluster - KC/4 - $7

WR - Harry Douglas - ATL/8 - $5

WR - Eric Decker - DEN/9 - $4

WR - Deion Branch - SEA/5 - $3

WR - Emmanuel Sanders - PIT/5 - $2

TE - Antonio Gates - SD/10 - $26

TE - John Carlson - SEA/5 - $11

PK - Nick Folk - NYJ/7 - $4

PK - Joe Nedney - SF/9 - $3

PK - Sebastian Janikowski - OAK/10 - $2

TD - New Orleans Saints - NO/10 - $4

TD - Tennessee Titans - TEN/9 - $4

TD - Carolina Panthers - CAR/6 - $4

Here's my first go, did this a few weeks back and have only made minor changes since. I'd appreciate some criticism/reviews as this is the first time I've ever been part of the contest.WR - Mike Williams - TB/4 - $8WR - Arrelious Benn - TB/4 - $7
That's the only thing that stuck out to me - why both of them? Unless you think both are going to light it up, you are spending $15 on a low end WR.

The only thing I would like added is the listing of the bye weeks right on the submission form. It would make it much easier to see bye week conflicts.

Here's my first go, did this a few weeks back and have only made minor changes since. I'd appreciate some criticism/reviews as this is the first time I've ever been part of the contest.

That's the only thing that stuck out to me - why both of them? Unless you think both are going to light it up, you are spending $15 on a low end WR.
I think they both could but probably not on the same week, I was trying to cover my bases with both of them, I'm reviewing Benn as it looks like he may not start. Thanks for the input though.

Here's my first go, did this a few weeks back and have only made minor changes since. I'd appreciate some criticism/reviews as this is the first time I've ever been part of the contest.QB - Carson Palmer - CIN/6 - $16QB - Matthew Stafford - DET/7 - $16QB - Jason Campbell - OAK/10 - $11RB - DeAngelo Williams - CAR/6 - $28RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - NYG/8 - $18RB - Michael Bush - OAK/10 - $16RB - Willis McGahee - BAL/8 - $8WR - Roddy White - ATL/8 - $27WR - Jabar Gaffney - DEN/9 - $16WR - Mike Williams - TB/4 - $8WR - Arrelious Benn - TB/4 - $7WR - Dexter McCluster - KC/4 - $7WR - Harry Douglas - ATL/8 - $5WR - Eric Decker - DEN/9 - $4WR - Deion Branch - SEA/5 - $3WR - Emmanuel Sanders - PIT/5 - $2TE - Antonio Gates - SD/10 - $26TE - John Carlson - SEA/5 - $11PK - Nick Folk - NYJ/7 - $4PK - Joe Nedney - SF/9 - $3PK - Sebastian Janikowski - OAK/10 - $2TD - New Orleans Saints - NO/10 - $4TD - Tennessee Titans - TEN/9 - $4TD - Carolina Panthers - CAR/6 - $4
I want your team to die a quick death. I'd be happy to help you.

Here's my first go, did this a few weeks back and have only made minor changes since. I'd appreciate some criticism/reviews as this is the first time I've ever been part of the contest.QB - Carson Palmer - CIN/6 - $16QB - Matthew Stafford - DET/7 - $16QB - Jason Campbell - OAK/10 - $11RB - DeAngelo Williams - CAR/6 - $28RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - NYG/8 - $18RB - Michael Bush - OAK/10 - $16RB - Willis McGahee - BAL/8 - $8WR - Roddy White - ATL/8 - $27WR - Jabar Gaffney - DEN/9 - $16WR - Mike Williams - TB/4 - $8WR - Arrelious Benn - TB/4 - $7WR - Dexter McCluster - KC/4 - $7WR - Harry Douglas - ATL/8 - $5WR - Eric Decker - DEN/9 - $4WR - Deion Branch - SEA/5 - $3WR - Emmanuel Sanders - PIT/5 - $2TE - Antonio Gates - SD/10 - $26TE - John Carlson - SEA/5 - $11PK - Nick Folk - NYJ/7 - $4PK - Joe Nedney - SF/9 - $3PK - Sebastian Janikowski - OAK/10 - $2TD - New Orleans Saints - NO/10 - $4TD - Tennessee Titans - TEN/9 - $4TD - Carolina Panthers - CAR/6 - $4
I want your team to die a quick death. I'd be happy to help you.
:shrug: :rolleyes: ?

I think they both could but probably not on the same week, I was trying to cover my bases with both of them, I'm reviewing Benn as it looks like he may not start. Thanks for the input though.
Gotcha. Different strategies and all...

Difference is I imagine you've done this before?

Difference is I imagine you've done this before?
Done it? Yes. Been successful? No.

The only thing I would like added is the listing of the bye weeks right on the submission form. It would make it much easier to see bye week conflicts.
They leave them off intentionally (this has been discussed in past years) to trap lazy people who might overlook bye weeks. That's not changing.

I think you need a better QB #1 and more RB depth. QBs score a lot of points in this contest and while the QBs you selected may be good values, you will most likely be losing a lot of points each week to people who have a Brees/Manning/Rodgers on their team. Also, while I think Stafford is a good QB, he has an absolutely horrible schedule this year. I would replace him with A. Smith just based on schedule alone. If you're willing to take a risk, take P. Manning and A. Smith, it cost you the same as the three you have and you will most likely end up with more points.On the RB side, you only have four (I like the four by the way) and two have a week eight bye. That means you're forced to start the other two that week. But even more important than that is that RBs are not as durable, so if you lose one for any extended period of time, I think your team is toast. Maybe get rid of one or two of your lower end WRs (I don't think you need nine) to pay for an extra back like T. Jones ($7)Just personal opinion...

I think you need a better QB #1 and more RB depth. QBs score a lot of points in this contest and while the QBs you selected may be good values, you will most likely be losing a lot of points each week to people who have a Brees/Manning/Rodgers on their team. Also, while I think Stafford is a good QB, he has an absolutely horrible schedule this year. I would replace him with A. Smith just based on schedule alone. If you're willing to take a risk, take P. Manning and A. Smith, it cost you the same as the three you have and you will most likely end up with more points.On the RB side, you only have four (I like the four by the way) and two have a week eight bye. That means you're forced to start the other two that week. But even more important than that is that RBs are not as durable, so if you lose one for any extended period of time, I think your team is toast. Maybe get rid of one or two of your lower end WRs (I don't think you need nine) to pay for an extra back like T. Jones ($7)Just personal opinion...
None of those QB's will be explosive enough to even give you a chance to be consistantly high scoring (what it takes to win this thing). Too many weeks you'll be stuck taking 15 pts at QB instead of 30.

Went with the gut the first time around. Checked the bye weeks and :oof:

With bye weeks considered, I'm at 26 players.

Cap is spread out like this:

QB- 16.8%

RB- 31.2%

WR- 31.6%

TE- 15.2%

K- 2.4%

D-2.8%

Probably should be a little bit heavier in the WR & TE, but I really like my RBs.

The more I look at it this year, 2 QB's is the way to go. I don't even see any way an injury or anything like it would change that. The $$ just supports two good QB's instead of 1 good and 2 weak or 3 average. I've had 3 QB's in each of the past two seasons and done well, but don't think that works well with the new structure where there just isn't a basement value starter that's cheap enough to justify giving up that money that could be spent on another mid-tier WR or RB or TE.

Here is my current...what the heck - this is my first go-around, so I will see what everyone thinks? I am really short at RB, but I have 2 ones I am really high on.

Meh, no comments, so I may as well not give my team away...

I'm probably being a crybaby, but I don't like the values assigned this year. I don't think they make a while lot of sense. I guess my problem is I probably think of it in terms of my auction draft, which would have much wider numbers.

I'm probably being a crybaby, but I don't like the values assigned this year. I don't think they make a while lot of sense. I guess my problem is I probably think of it in terms of my auction draft, which would have much wider numbers.
Yeah its annoying but meant to make it harder, like it wasnt hard enough in the first place. It just means you have to shift to the top level players because the mid ones have less value

Users who are viewing this thread