What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Subscriber Contest (1 Viewer)

I think going for the most players is a trap. You wind up with a lot of riff-raff, IMO.
Depends. For WRs, there is a lot of junk in the >$7 range. But there's a lot of value in the $7 to $11 range. Personally, I think it's crazy to spend more than $18 to $20 on any WR.
I think making the right decision at WR in the range you mentioned is crucial. Also, normally I would agree with no high-priced WRs, but my most recent team had one guy above that price. Mainly because I don't have any guys in that 18-20 range. I like cheaper options at WR, especially in best ball. So I could kind of afford that luxury. At least, in my mind.

There are almost zero bargains at RB, aside from that guy in the teens that everyone is gonna have, making him irrelevant. I think I only have 5 backs.
Agree with all of this. There are a couple high priced guys in the top tier of WRs I would love to have on my team. I just can't help but see it as a big risk, though. I understand you need to take risks to win this contest. But in previous years when I've spent a lot on one WR, he's always either gotten hurt or he's underperformed enough times to kill my team.The RB thrift store bargains are almost nil, for sure. So we're left to sift through some RBBC where you hope your guy performs well. Still, I see some RBs in the $7 to $10 range that will be very valuable if you pick the right guy.
When my super sneaky sleeper back was James Starks, you know the cupboard is bare. And I am skipping the Javon Ringer mini-hype train, so that pretty much leaves me out of the bargain bin. I did grab one back in that 7-10 range.

This might be the best time-waster I have ever come across. The myriad of combos is dizzying.

massraider said:
jdoggydogg said:
massraider said:
jdoggydogg said:
massraider said:
I think going for the most players is a trap. You wind up with a lot of riff-raff, IMO.
Depends. For WRs, there is a lot of junk in the >$7 range. But there's a lot of value in the $7 to $11 range. Personally, I think it's crazy to spend more than $18 to $20 on any WR.
I think making the right decision at WR in the range you mentioned is crucial. Also, normally I would agree with no high-priced WRs, but my most recent team had one guy above that price. Mainly because I don't have any guys in that 18-20 range. I like cheaper options at WR, especially in best ball. So I could kind of afford that luxury. At least, in my mind.

There are almost zero bargains at RB, aside from that guy in the teens that everyone is gonna have, making him irrelevant. I think I only have 5 backs.
Agree with all of this. There are a couple high priced guys in the top tier of WRs I would love to have on my team. I just can't help but see it as a big risk, though. I understand you need to take risks to win this contest. But in previous years when I've spent a lot on one WR, he's always either gotten hurt or he's underperformed enough times to kill my team.The RB thrift store bargains are almost nil, for sure. So we're left to sift through some RBBC where you hope your guy performs well. Still, I see some RBs in the $7 to $10 range that will be very valuable if you pick the right guy.
When my super sneaky sleeper back was James Starks, you know the cupboard is bare. And I am skipping the Javon Ringer mini-hype train, so that pretty much leaves me out of the bargain bin. I did grab one back in that 7-10 range.

This might be the best time-waster I have ever come across. The myriad of combos is dizzying.
Absolutely. I must have entered 200 different lineups by now. And the more NFL news you read, the more you change your lineup. I have a feeling my lineup will go through 25 more changes before the deadline.

jdoggydogg said:
PatsFanCT said:
Bare minimum, 18 players for me. I'll take my chances with the all-stud team.
By week 10, this entry will be the all-injury team.
It's all about the risk and reward. If they all stay healthy, they'll be hard to beat.

jdoggydogg said:
PatsFanCT said:
Bare minimum, 18 players for me. I'll take my chances with the all-stud team.
By week 10, this entry will be the all-injury team.
It's all about the risk and reward. If they all stay healthy, they'll be hard to beat.
In a best ball format, your strategy has proven to be faulty time after time.
That's fine. Nobody really expects to win this thing anyway.

I actually just went back and added it up last year (Team 107838)... If I made the cut I would have been 14th overall in the 3 week playoff with 566.90 total points. I was cut on the last cut week by 16 points, my RB's killed me which was my weakness all year.

I knew I had a good Week 14 & 15 and didn't want to check the final week last year incase I finished near the top...

Last edited by a moderator:
Now the bye weeks are giving me headaches. Week 4 is a doozy, but I guess I could just swap Vernon Davis in for Witten to make it work. How many season points are you willing to sacrifice for a better bye schedule? I project Witten to be about 25 points better over the course of the season, but I already project to be missing a starting RB and 2 of my WR that week. Blah!

Now the bye weeks are giving me headaches. Week 4 is a doozy, but I guess I could just swap Vernon Davis in for Witten to make it work. How many season points are you willing to sacrifice for a better bye schedule? I project Witten to be about 25 points better over the course of the season, but I already project to be missing a starting RB and 2 of my WR that week. Blah!
If you are going to have a bye week issue, week 4 is the week you want to have it. That's early enough that you can still survive the cut without too much trouble.

Cut from 27 guys to 25, I like the team better... 2 / 7 / 7 / 3 / 3 / 3... Might change players around but I like this layout the best.

Now the bye weeks are giving me headaches. Week 4 is a doozy, but I guess I could just swap Vernon Davis in for Witten to make it work. How many season points are you willing to sacrifice for a better bye schedule?
Not too many. I want to avoid multiple byes at TE/K/D, but putting in a lesser player at RB or WR to avoid anyone having multiple byes is just a formula for getting bounced in Week 11 or whatever. Get the best team you can, hope to skate by on bye weeks, and swing for the fences.

Interesting. He spent a lot of money on studs, but he also gambled on a lot of cheap players. Looking at his roster proves the point that there are practically zero low end bargains in this year's contest.
I'm sure there are at least a few cheap guys who will be studs. The winner will pick several, if not all of them. Good luck. This is pretty much like playing the stock market.

Interesting. He spent a lot of money on studs, but he also gambled on a lot of cheap players. Looking at his roster proves the point that there are practically zero low end bargains in this year's contest.
I'm sure there are at least a few cheap guys who will be studs. The winner will pick several, if not all of them. Good luck. This is pretty much like playing the stock market.
Jamaal Charles, Jermichael, DeSean Jackson, and Mason won him the league, plus his stud QBs.

Certainly. But the sheer amount of bargain players is less in this year's contest. I had both Finley and Celek on my team last year. It's not like those guys came out of nowhere. They were stars throughout camp. Both players cost me $10 combined. I see value in this year's contest, but it's in the $11 range, not the $3 range.

This contest is like freakin Pespi (i cant stay away from it)

To solve some of my going crazy over here i decided to give ole Dodds a few extra bucks.

Whaaaala!!

Now i can make 2 rosters (one with the deep filled bargains and a few top end studs)

The other one more balenced within the 22 player range. (very solid team there)

But like mentioned before, EVERYONE will have some the these MAJOR bargains, and while

i dont want to get left out in the dust without them, i also decided to mix it up with a few i doubt many will

add cause of one, not really being all that much of a bargain, and 2, they sitting behind a good player.

Cant wait for this thing to LOCK so i can stop messing with my team/s

This contest is like freakin Pespi (i cant stay away from it)To solve some of my going crazy over here i decided to give ole Dodds a few extra bucks. Whaaaala!!Now i can make 2 rosters (one with the deep filled bargains and a few top end studs)The other one more balenced within the 22 player range. (very solid team there)But like mentioned before, EVERYONE will have some the these MAJOR bargains, and whilei dont want to get left out in the dust without them, i also decided to mix it up with a few i doubt many willadd cause of one, not really being all that much of a bargain, and 2, they sitting behind a good player. Cant wait for this thing to LOCK so i can stop messing with my team/s
I've been debating about buying another sub for an extra entry

Iteration 1237 produced interesting results. Looks like I'll be dominating this one fellas; thanks for playing.

:avoids posting roster:

:confused:

I always look forward to the goofy rosters as well as the improbably ones that move on (like the guy who'll pick Roethlisberger, Leinart, Hardesty, Tate, Antonio Bryant and still advances somehow).

-QG

29 players. 3 QB, 5 RB, 12 WR, 2 TE, 4 PK, 3 D

Had 30 players but had to cut one to squeeze in Anderson. Might switch one WR for a RB but having a hard time figure out which sleeper to dump.

Can you accelerate the deadline for submitting entries?

I'm really sick of feeling obligated to fine tune my line up every half hour or so. TIA

Here's my latest team (30 players):

3QB @$36

7RB @$91

11WR @$81

3TE @$26

3K @$7

3TD @$9

I didn't want to spend that much money on RB, but it's harder to find value RBs that will start in some form every week. I wanted a consistent Stud WR to anchor one WR spot every week, but I couldn't afford it. There's plenty of value WRs out there under $10

I'll probably change my roster another 100 times before the deadline...

going with this as of now. sure it will change before deadline

QB - Matt Schaub - HOU/7 - $23

QB - Derek Anderson - ARI/6 - $6

RB - Adrian Peterson - MIN/4 - $38

RB - Frank Gore - SF/9 - $34

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - NYG/8 - $18

WR - Andre Johnson - HOU/7 - $32

WR - Greg Jennings - GB/10 - $26

WR - Wes Welker - NE/5 - $21

WR - Dez Bryant - DAL/4 - $13

WR - Laurent Robinson - STL/9 - $7

WR - Golden Tate - SEA/5 - $7

WR - Patrick Crayton - SD/10 - $3

TE - Jermaine Gresham - CIN/6 - $6

TE - Rob Gronkowski - NE/5 - $3

PK - Adam Vinatieri - IND/7 - $4

PK - Matt Bryant - ATL/8 - $2

TD - Chicago Bears - CHI/8 - $4

TD - Denver Broncos - DEN/9 - $3

going with this as of now. sure it will change before deadlineQB - Matt Schaub - HOU/7 - $23QB - Derek Anderson - ARI/6 - $6RB - Adrian Peterson - MIN/4 - $38RB - Frank Gore - SF/9 - $34RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - NYG/8 - $18WR - Andre Johnson - HOU/7 - $32WR - Greg Jennings - GB/10 - $26WR - Wes Welker - NE/5 - $21WR - Dez Bryant - DAL/4 - $13WR - Laurent Robinson - STL/9 - $7WR - Golden Tate - SEA/5 - $7WR - Patrick Crayton - SD/10 - $3TE - Jermaine Gresham - CIN/6 - $6TE - Rob Gronkowski - NE/5 - $3PK - Adam Vinatieri - IND/7 - $4PK - Matt Bryant - ATL/8 - $2TD - Chicago Bears - CHI/8 - $4TD - Denver Broncos - DEN/9 - $3
There is a glaring weakness on your team you should fix bro. But what do I know, after it is locked I will let you know what I think it is. :lmao:

Going with only 18 man roster as shown above really loads up on studs. Reading through the posts in this thread seems to indicate that a lot of folks are going with this attack this season.

going with this as of now. sure it will change before deadlineQB - Matt Schaub - HOU/7 - $23QB - Derek Anderson - ARI/6 - $6RB - Adrian Peterson - MIN/4 - $38RB - Frank Gore - SF/9 - $34RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - NYG/8 - $18WR - Andre Johnson - HOU/7 - $32WR - Greg Jennings - GB/10 - $26WR - Wes Welker - NE/5 - $21WR - Dez Bryant - DAL/4 - $13WR - Laurent Robinson - STL/9 - $7WR - Golden Tate - SEA/5 - $7WR - Patrick Crayton - SD/10 - $3TE - Jermaine Gresham - CIN/6 - $6TE - Rob Gronkowski - NE/5 - $3PK - Adam Vinatieri - IND/7 - $4PK - Matt Bryant - ATL/8 - $2TD - Chicago Bears - CHI/8 - $4TD - Denver Broncos - DEN/9 - $3
There is a glaring weakness on your team you should fix bro. But what do I know, after it is locked I will let you know what I think it is. :lmao:
I concur.

a glaring weakness? i cannot figure it out :shrug:

Going with only 18 man roster as shown above really loads up on studs. Reading through the posts in this thread seems to indicate that a lot of folks are going with this attack this season.
i can't decide if i want to go the stud route or for quantity

latest roster had 30 players. Not having a WR over $12 scares me

still thinking about buying another entry

Here's my latest (winning) entry.

QB - Matt Schaub - 23

QB - Ben Roethlisberger - 14

RB - DeAngelo Williams - 28

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - 18

RB - Arian Foster - 13

RB - Willis McGahee - 8

RB - Thomas Jones - 7

RB - Fred Taylor - 6

RB - Mike Tolbert - 1

WR - Wes Welker - 21

WR - Jabar Gaffney - 16

WR - Mike Williams - 8

WR - Bernard Berrian - 7

WR - Julian Edelman - 5

WR - Harry Douglas - 5

WR - Eric Decker - 4

WR - Louis Murphy - 4

WR - Deion Branch - 3

WR - Jordan Shipley - 3

TE - Antonio Gates - 26

TE - Aaron Hernandez - 5

TE - Tony Moeaki - 4

PK - Nick Folk - 4

PK - Joe Nedney - 3

PK - Sebastian Janikowski - 2

TD - New Orleans Saints - 4

TD - Tennessee Titans - 4

TD - Carolina Panthers - 4

Total value: 250

rzrback77 said:
With the reconfiguring of prices this year, an 18 player stud team is the way to go.

I think there is middle ground...studs/duds at some positions and quantity at others. I think a lot of teams will have a set of 8 or 9 WR all at $12 and under...choosing at QB, RB, and TE seems to be the key.

QB - Matt Schaub - 23

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - 18

RB - Arian Foster - 13

RB - Willis McGahee - 8

RB - Thomas Jones - 7

RB - Fred Taylor - 6

RB - Mike Tolbert - 1

WR - Wes Welker - 21

WR - Jabar Gaffney - 16

WR - Mike Williams - 8

WR - Bernard Berrian - 7

WR - Julian Edelman - 5

WR - Harry Douglas - 5

WR - Eric Decker - 4

WR - Louis Murphy - 4

WR - Deion Branch - 3

WR - Jordan Shipley - 3

TE - Antonio Gates - 26

TE - Aaron Hernandez - 5

TE - Tony Moeaki - 4

PK - Nick Folk - 4

PK - Joe Nedney - 3

Is this a CFL contest? :confused:

Seriously...why post your roster before the deadline? You could easily be Price Is Righted, bro.

QB - Matt Schaub - 23

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - 18

RB - Arian Foster - 13

RB - Willis McGahee - 8

RB - Thomas Jones - 7

RB - Fred Taylor - 6

RB - Mike Tolbert - 1

WR - Wes Welker - 21

WR - Jabar Gaffney - 16

WR - Mike Williams - 8

WR - Bernard Berrian - 7

WR - Julian Edelman - 5

WR - Harry Douglas - 5

WR - Eric Decker - 4

WR - Louis Murphy - 4

WR - Deion Branch - 3

WR - Jordan Shipley - 3

TE - Antonio Gates - 26

TE - Aaron Hernandez - 5

TE - Tony Moeaki - 4

PK - Nick Folk - 4

PK - Joe Nedney - 3

Is this a CFL contest? :lol:

Seriously...why post your roster before the deadline? You could easily be Price Is Righted, bro.
I'm in it for the fun more than the money as I don't think I've got a great chance to win anyway. Think it was discussed a few pages back but if someone wants to copy me then more fool them.

A. Rodgers- $29

T. Romo- 26

R. Rice- 37

M. Barber- 18

A. Foster- 13

L. Washington- 8

B. Marshall- 26

T. Owens- 19

M. Floyd- 17

B. Berrian- 7

L. Robinson- 7

J. Witten- 19