Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Antonio Brown - Official Thread

Bucs head coach Bruce Arians said Antonio Brown (knee) "looked good" at Thursday's practice. 

Arians said Brown, safety Jordan Whitehead (shoulder), and safety Antoine Winfield, Jr. (ankle) moved well during Tampa's Thursday practice. “They all worked today and looked good. It’s just a matter of whether they swell tomorrow,” Arians said. The Bucs will practice Friday and give an injury designation for their injured players. Brown seems on track to suit up for the Super Bowl. If he's a surprise inactive, Scotty Miller would be the most likely beneficiary. 

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter 

Feb 4, 2021, 1:33 PM ET

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

( •_•)     Seems like Antonio Brown got...       ( •_•)>⌐■-■         (⌐■_■) ...cold feet

He probably got Cold Feet 

It looks like Adam Schefter added Antonio Brown to his fantasy team before breaking the news @Joe Bryant - note to self: never play in a fantasy football league with Adam Schefter 

Antonio Brown (knee) was upgraded to "full" for Thursday's practice. 

In other words, Brown will be active for Super Bowl LV. It's still unclear why the Bucs initially listed Brown as "doubtful" last weekend. They must have been going by the letter of the law that, had the game been happening that day, AB would not have suited up. Brown will be something of an X-factor as Chris Godwin deals with the Chiefs' stingy slot coverage. Brown was limited to two grabs for 12 yards the first time these two teams met in Week 12, and that was with the Bucs playing from behind the entire afternoon. 

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter 

Feb 4, 2021, 4:18 PM ET

Antonio Brown (knee) is considered questionable against the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. 

Brown practiced fully Friday for the second straight day, apparently avoiding the knee swelling that head coach Bruce Arians worried about early in the week. He looks to be a go for the Super Bowl, and will continue to operate as Tom Brady's third option behind Chris Godwin and Mike Evans. Brown active would mean Scotty Miller is little more than a Hail Mary DFS option. 

RELATED: 

Scotty Miller

SOURCE: Scott Smith on Twitter

Feb 5, 2021, 1:47 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Antonio Brown (knee) is expected to be active for Super Bowl LV on Sunday.

The same is true of Cameron Brate (back). It means the Bucs will be at full strength offensively after Brown missed the NFC Championship Game and Brate tweaked his back in practice this week. AB has seen light usage during the playoffs, drawing just five targets between the Wild Card and Divisional Rounds, but he comes with plenty of DFS upside in one of the highest-totaled Super Bowls in history. 

RELATED: 

Cameron Brate

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Feb 6, 2021, 8:51 PM ET

Antonio Brown caught 5-of-6 targets for 22 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' Super Bowl LV victory over the Chiefs. 

Signed in October as the Bucs dealt with a banged up skill corps, Brown appeared in all eight contests he was eligible for after completing his eight-game suspension for various off-the-field transgressions. Knocking off the rust of having made just one appearance in 22 months, Brown caught 45 balls for 483 yards and four scores as the Bucs’ No. 3 wideout. 27 of his 61 targets came in two games, though all four of his scores came in the final three weeks of the regular season. Brown’s 10.7 yards per catch were his fewest since his lightly-used rookie year in 2010, but he was certainly good enough to be a part of this offense. With Chris Godwin headed to free agency, the Bucs reportedly want Brown back for his age-33 campaign after he played on a one-year deal this season.  

Feb 7, 2021, 10:41 PM ET

From Next Gen Stats:

Antonio Brown is able to beat press coverage with elite burst off the line of scrimmage. Brown averaged a 9.13 MPH top speed within 1 second of his press routes this season, 2nd-fastest in the NFL (min. 50 press routes).

6 minutes ago, menobrown said:

From Next Gen Stats:

Antonio Brown is able to beat press coverage with elite burst off the line of scrimmage. Brown averaged a 9.13 MPH top speed within 1 second of his press routes this season, 2nd-fastest in the NFL (min. 50 press routes).

Certainly shows he hasn't lost a step. Just not nearly as many targets this year compared to what he used to get. 

Mission accomplished.  Don't blow your top, play nice, get a ring, and show some bursts.  He'll get another nice payday next year  now from a team that needs to take calculated risks.  LVR would have been such a great fit had he not already burned that bridge.  Now where - LAC?  BAL?

8 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

Mission accomplished.  Don't blow your top, play nice, get a ring, and show some bursts.  He'll get another nice payday next year  now from a team that needs to take calculated risks.  LVR would have been such a great fit had he not already burned that bridge.  Now where - LAC?  BAL?

Baltimore would be pretty interesting.

17 hours ago, habsfan said:

Baltimore would be pretty interesting.

Not interesting at all if you are invested in AB but I guess it would be interesting to see if the new seemingly restrained and team oriented AB could hold it together with the limited chances this offense gives WR's.

I personally think AB has higher expectations for his QB and never considered Baltimore so long as he had other options. I'm not even sure if his cousin playing on the team helps or hurts as Marquise is already chirping about his touches so would he really welcome that kind of  competition for the already small pie?

Tampa does seem the most likely place, at least it's the place I'd say if I only had one pick, but I still can't shake thinking it's going to be hard if they keep Godwin because I do think AB will be looking for more money and at least a chance to be higher then WR3. I would also say as someone invested in him if he returned to TB with Godwin I would be mildly disappointed, but would view him returning without Godwin as the ideal situation for his fantasy value. One were AB would grow his role out of the slot, offering Brady that quick strike reliable target that has been such a boon in the past with him.

Outside of Tampa there really are a lot of places I could see but I do think he cares about the QB and all things being close to equal that will factor in his decision. As we sit here today a lot of situations will change depending on how much we see QB movement.For instance if Russell Wilson or Watson were to get moved, two QB's who both reportedly wanted their teams to sign AB and he has relationships, their new teams become possible contenders(now that would be interesting to me). Miami seems likes like a possibility, especially if they don't address WR in round one. Green Bay was one of the teams that showed him some interest and if they try and appease Rodgers maybe they'll step up stronger this time and try and sign him. 

I still think about half the teams in the league don't want him, are scared off by him. But I also think his market grew considerably from the small handful of teams when he signed with Tampa. He'll have options but for sure he loves playing with Brady in Florida on a SB winning team, he just also likes catching a lot of passes and getting paid.

2 hours ago, menobrown said:

but would view him returning without Godwin as the ideal situation for his fantasy value

Yep, the best hope is here back with Tom, but with less target competition. I feel like a win now team like the bucs won't let Godwin get away, probably by tagging him. But maybe if they're convinced AB is solid, or if they like Johnson/Miller/Watson enough as backup plans for AB going awol, they don't tag Godwin

But the real hurdle for AB is just making it to opening day without doing something stupid right now. If he clears that hurdle the general opinion of him will change bigly.

2 hours ago, jtd13 said:

Yep, the best hope is here back with Tom, but with less target competition. I feel like a win now team like the bucs won't let Godwin get away, probably by tagging him. But maybe if they're convinced AB is solid, or if they like Johnson/Miller/Watson enough as backup plans for AB going awol, they don't tag Godwin

But the real hurdle for AB is just making it to opening day without doing something stupid right now. If he clears that hurdle the general opinion of him will change bigly.

In your first paragraph I would change they and they're to Brady.

I have zero concerns about him doing something stupid and have repeatedly been on the record in this thread of saying those concerns are way overblown.

1 hour ago, Helaire-ious said:

I just want to be able to trade him for something worth it lol. He cost me nothing via ww pickup...

I think signing Godwin will serve tuff. Then if Godwin goes, AB becomes an attractive option. So depends on if you can sell Godwin’s gone. I’d like get a first for him. I’m gonna try to sell, but if I can’t I’m sure he will be of use next year. 

13 hours ago, Helaire-ious said:

I just want to be able to trade him for something worth it lol. He cost me nothing via ww pickup...

I doubt anyone will in any dynasty worth anything. Ride him till he bucks ya. He had some monster games down the stretch. If he stays in Tampa he’ll have a big season. 

15 hours ago, menobrown said:

I have zero concerns about him doing something stupid and have repeatedly been on the record in this thread of saying those concerns are way overblown.

I haven't been in this thread/ on this board much the last couple months, but I'll agree with you on the risk if the bucs and Brady are confident enough to let Godwin walk. Considering AB was in the news for losing it 2 weeks before joining the bucs, I wouldn't agree they are way overblown right now though. Maybe just a bit overblown😁

But I was more referring to his fantasy value when I said hurdle. Most people think he's a ticking time bomb. I can see him start to get moved for more valuable assets are the season approaches, because more people will be interested as he goes longer without screwing up.

• 1 month later...

ESPN's Jenna Laine reports the Bucs are "actively" talking with free agent Antonio Brown. 

The same is true with fellow Bucs free agents Ndamukong Suh, Leonard Fournette and Ryan Succop. Brown hasn't been connected to any other teams, and the Bucs could be the only club willing to sign him at this point. 27 of Brown's 61 2020 targets came in two games, though all four of his scores came in the final three weeks of the regular season. Brown’s 10.7 yards per catch were his fewest since his lightly-used rookie year in 2010, but he was certainly good enough to be a part of this offense. 

SOURCE: Jenna Laine on Twitter 

Mar 16, 2021, 1:24 PM ET

• 3 weeks later...

The Tampa Bay Times reports there is "still no sign" free agent WR Antonio Brown is close to re-signing with the Bucs. 

It would appear any potential Bucs offer would max out around $2.5 million, while Brown is reportedly seeking something closer to "market value," whatever he considers that to be. 34-year-old DeSean Jackson recently signed a $4.5 million deal with the Rams. For what it's worth, Bucs coach Bruce Arians has said the odds Brown is back with the team are "okay." Brown's biggest problem is that no other team appears even remotely interested. 

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times 

Apr 6, 2021, 4:21 PM ET

53 minutes ago, Foosball God said:

He's an anchor on my roster at this point.  Too good to cut, won't get anything worth anything via trade.

He's worth a future 2nd to me if he signs a 2-year contract (depending on which team he signs with).

3 minutes ago, Foosball God said:

Yeah, him signing somewhere would probably change the equation.

He'll sign with someone but at this point probably waiting until after the draft if not camps. Only teams I've heard have any interest in him is Tampa which has for sure offered him a meager deal and multiple reports that Russell Wilson is still pushing for him.

I'm surprised. I thought he did enough on and off the field last year to at least earn a little more trust and demand in the league and at least get what someone like AJG got paid but I don't think he's even looking at DJAX money. I think he might need a new agent.

14 minutes ago, menobrown said:

He'll sign with someone but at this point probably waiting until after the draft if not camps. Only teams I've heard have any interest in him is Tampa which has for sure offered him a meager deal and multiple reports that Russell Wilson is still pushing for him.

I'm surprised. I thought he did enough on and off the field last year to at least earn a little more trust and demand in the league and at least get what someone like AJG got paid but I don't think he's even looking at DJAX money. I think he might need a new agent.

You can't screw over three different NFL franchises and expect to garner much interest.  It has nothing to do with his agent.  The fact that all these other guys have already re-signed with Tampa and he hasn't speaks volumes about what AB is all about.  Hell, Brady force fed this guy the ball so he could hit incentives late in the year.

He hasn't changed. 

The Bucs are doing him a favor by offering a contract at all.  They don't need him. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Grahamburn said:

You can't screw over three different NFL franchises and expect to garner much interest.  It has nothing to do with his agent.  The fact that all these other guys have already re-signed with Tampa and he hasn't speaks volumes about what AB is all about.  Hell, Brady force fed this guy the ball so he could hit incentives late in the year.

He hasn't changed. 

The Bucs are doing him a favor by offering a contract at all.  They don't need him. 

Sorry, Antonio, we have all your targets going to Tyler Johnson this year. 

12 minutes ago, Grahamburn said:

He hasn't changed. 

Sometimes you forget why you have people on your ignore list and then they do you a solid and remind you why you felt you were better off if you never had to read their drivel.

8 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Sometimes you forget why you have people on your ignore list and then they do you a solid and remind you why you felt you were better off if you never had to read their drivel.

Lol.  Huh?

2 hours ago, tangfoot said:

Because Evans and Godwin were hurt for stretches. 

The only thing I'd rebut that with is that Evans and Godwin are pretty average in terms of health, which means you're unlikely to get seventeen games out of them, so you'll see Johnson and Miller again. Depth at WR with Brady is key, and it's a good thing he has Johnson and Miller, who serve really two different roles, Johnson operating more out of the slot, Miller from the outside.

I'm bullish on Johnson because I drafted him in dynasty, and I feel like he was a good pick, but there are so many, many mouths to feed in TB that I'm not sure he'll really get a shot until the dust settles and Godwin can't be franchised anymore. And that means another two years before seeing a clogged roster spot come to fruition.

He's trying to win a job against two top-flight professionals and a guy who was a potential HoF candidate in Brown, who Tampa is offering a cut-rate contract to. But he's done well enough so that Tampa can offer Brown a cut-rate deal and feel confident in their back-up plan. (I know, Tampa is cash strapped, too, but they'd find a way to get Brown done if it needed doing, IMO.)

So everyone waits on Brown and where he winds up, is what I'm saying, too.

10 hours ago, rockaction said:

The only thing I'd rebut that with is that Evans and Godwin are pretty average in terms of health, which means you're unlikely to get seventeen games out of them

I think you need to revisit this theorem.  Evans has missed a total of 6 games in seven seasons, and Godwin played all 16 games his first two seasons before missing a total of six in the last two seasons.

2 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

I think you need to revisit this theorem.  Evans has missed a total of 6 games in seven seasons, and Godwin played all 16 games his first two seasons before missing a total of six in the last two seasons.

As a starter, Godwin has averaged thirteen games a year. He was WR4 and 3 his first two years. Evans has missed a game in almost every year, including three the year before this one. Godwin is below average for health, actually, Evans above, as you note. But they're likely to miss time.

13 hours ago, tangfoot said:

Because Evans and Godwin were hurt for stretches. 

Was getting snaps when they were healthy, and when they weren't.  Outsnapped Scotty Miller in the playoffs.  

He's their #3 now, and Godwin's on a one year deal.  :shrug:

It was kind a silly line I said above, about Brown's snaps, but TJ should have been buried this past year.  He wasn't. 

2 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

It sounds like AB values AB more than anyone values AB. Reportedly wants 4M++?

Bucs only have like 2.5 to spend? 

Don’t see a lot of teams lining up for his services. 

That's a bargain for his talent, not necessarily for everything else that comes with it.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
3 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

It sounds like AB values AB more than anyone values AB. Reportedly wants 4M++?

Bucs only have like 2.5 to spend? 

Don’t see a lot of teams lining up for his services. 

There are always work arounds. They had no way to pay Gronk either, so they gave him an $8M deal to play one season . . . but tacked on 4 dummy / voidable years to be able to only have him count $3M against the cap in 2021.

I don't know enough about Tampa's cap situation to begin to figure out if they can somehow squeeze AB onto the roster. They could probably find a way by giving him incentives that would count against next year instead and adding in multiple dummy years like they did for Gronk. Whether they are interested in doing that is a different discussion. They could set things up where he only counted $1M against the cap in 2021 if they wanted to.

4 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

There are always work arounds. They had no way to pay Gronk either, so they gave him an $8M deal to play one season . . . but tacked on 4 dummy / voidable years to be able to only have him count $3M against the cap in 2021.

I don't know enough about Tampa's cap situation to begin to figure out if they can somehow squeeze AB onto the roster. They could probably find a way by giving him incentives that would count against next year instead and adding in multiple dummy years like they did for Gronk. Whether they are interested in doing that is a different discussion. They could set things up where he only counted $1M against the cap in 2021 if they wanted to.

The Bucs might be able to do so, but it sounded like AB wasn’t interested in giving them a discount.