What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (13 Viewers)

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Bucs WR Antonio Brown's probation has ended a year ahead of schedule.

Brown's assault and battery case was resolved, according to Rapoport. Brown's lawyer, Sean Burstyn, said the wideout's attorneys see "nothing but blue sky" ahead of their client, who has faced a range of lawsuits over the past few years, including allegations of rape and sexual misconduct. Tom Brady recruited Brown through it all, ensuring Brown's NFL career was never hampered by the many troubling allegations launched against him. The 33-year-old signed an incentive laden one-year deal with Tampa in May. Last month, Brown was sued by KCB Marketing for allegedly failing to pay commission on more than $2 million in earnings.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jun 22, 2021, 12:03 PM ET

I'm not going to predict a huge season for AB or anything, but I've been actively acquiring him for cheap-ish in dynasty. There's a lot of upside to be had for cheap if competing.

I've now gotten him for 3.03 (12 team PPR), and Evan Engram (10 team TEP). On value, I lost the Engram one by a decent amount according to ADP, but I'm kinda over him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going to predict a huge season for AB or anything, but I've been actively acquiring him for cheap-ish in dynasty. There's a lot of upside to be had for cheap if competing.

I've now gotten him for 3.03 (12 team PPR), and Evan Engram (10 team TEP). On value, I lost the Engram one by a decent amount according to ADP, but I'm kinda over him. 
I feel the same way about Engram.  Not sure I like either of these trades, but if you're expecting wr2 numbers from brown they're both wins for you.

That being said, this guy is legal Teflon.   Guess you can do anything if Tom Brady is in your corner.

Not sure I like either of these trades, but if you're expecting wr2 numbers from brown they're both wins for you.
Expecting is a strong word, but I see many paths to stretches of locked in WR2 production during the season for AB.

I saw it as passing on Engram or somebody like Chuba Hubbard (likely the guy I would have taken at 3.03) for a guy who should start some games for me when injuries inevitably hit. My WRs have taken a beating the last few seasons and I was looking for cheap ways to insulate now, vs. paying through the nose after it happens. 

Expecting is a strong word, but I see many paths to stretches of locked in WR2 production during the season for AB.

I saw it as passing on Engram or somebody like Chuba Hubbard (likely the guy I would have taken at 3.03) for a guy who should start some games for me when injuries inevitably hit. My WRs have taken a beating the last few seasons and I was looking for cheap ways to insulate now, vs. paying through the nose after it happens. 
Well I've got an irrational love for Hubbard (mostly because his name is almost chubby hubby and that's a great Ben and Jerry's ice cream), but as someone who expected Godwin and deebo to be mainstays on his playoff team last year, I completely see where you're coming from on having solid backup wrs.

anyone starting a sentence with the word 'so'  should be taken out behind the woodshed.. why do ppl do that???annoying. neanderthals like that also say 'hey, look at the below chart' instead of 'look at the chart below'.

like you'd be in an airplane and the pilot gets on the loud speaker and says ' hey , look at the below clouds!!' dude , what are you Canadian? oh yah, look dare, the below clouds are gorgeous ay?' 

so, I just ...

so, I went to the gas station

so...I crunched the numbers ...Colts offense sucks.

uggh.

anyone starting a sentence with the word 'so'  should be taken out behind the woodshed.. why do ppl do that???annoying. neanderthals like that also say 'hey, look at the below chart' instead of 'look at the chart below'.

like you'd be in an airplane and the pilot gets on the loud speaker and says ' hey , look at the below clouds!!' dude , what are you Canadian? oh yah, look dare, the below clouds are gorgeous ay?' 

so, I just ...

uggh.
So, anyones correcting peoples grammars usage on a fantasy football message bored should be taken out to the woodshed behind

so, I just ...

uggh.
So I'm reading your post and I'm thinking that was pretty unnecessary eh?

so, I just ...

uggh.

Interestingly enough, "so", "like" and "Interestingly enough" are common examples of the grammatical structure called a discourse marker.  Anyway, there usage is quite common and socially acceptable ways for human beings to communicate with each other.  Well, I hope you find this information useful.  In closing, have a great day.

Discourse markers (so, right, okay) 

from English Grammar Today

Discourse markers are words or phrases like anyway, right, okay, as I say, to begin with. We use them to connect, organize and manage what we say or write or to express attitude:

So, I’ve decided I’m going to go to the bank and ask for a car loan.

Well, you need a car.

Anyway, I was wondering if either of you would teach me how to drive.

The discourse markers in this extract have a number of uses: so marks the beginning of a new part of the conversation. Well marks a change in the focus (from getting a car loan to needing a car). Anyway marks a shift in topic (from buying a new car to having driving lessons).

Discourse markers do not always have meanings that you will find in your dictionary. However, they do have certain functions, and some discourse markers, such as well, can have a number of functions.

Some discourse markers are used to start and to end conversations. Some are used to start new topics or to change topics.  We also use discourse markers to order or sequence what we say. 

As we talk, we monitor (or listen to) what we are saying and how our listener is responding to what they hear. We often rephrase or change what we say depending on how our listener is responding. We use words and phrases such as well, I mean, in other words, the thing is, you know, you know what I mean, you see, what I mean is.

Sometimes, as we talk, we add phrases to show our listener that we are going to rephrase, repeat or change what we are saying. These discourse markers help to make what we say clearer for the listener.

When we talk, we think about how much knowledge we share with our listener. We often mark what we think is old, shared or expected knowledge with you know and we mark new knowledge that we see as not shared with the listener with phrases like see, you see, the thing is.

As we listen to someone speaking, we usually show our response to what we hear either by gesture (head nod) or by a short response (Mm, yeah, really, that’s a shame). This shows that we are listening to and interested in what is being said. We call these short responses ‘response tokens’.

Some expressions are used to mark attitude or point of view in speaking or writing.

We are careful when we speak not to sound too direct or forceful. We use words and phrases such as like, maybe, sort of to soften what we say (hedges).

So I grabbed the Titans player and I punched him in the face
The Titans player's out, the music stopped
His boy had beef and he got dropped
Mike D grabbed the money, MCA snatched the gold
I grabbed two girlies and a beer that's cold
Can't believe people missed the Beastie boys reference over the 1st word. Well played!

I’m a Bucs homer but I am totally in on this guy this year. His ADP seems ridiculous to me. I think he has the best numbers on the team at the end of the year. He is absolutely dominating practice — I was out there this week and he was making DBs look stupid. 

No team has enough coverage to handle TBs WRs plus RB/TEs. Guessing it will be tough to predict who is going to drop 120/2 each week but I think AB will definitely have a few of those. 

So I grabbed the Titans player and I punched him in the face
The Titans player's out, the music stopped
His boy had beef and he got dropped
Mike D grabbed the money, MCA snatched the gold
I grabbed two girlies and a beer that's cold

Poor Tanner9919 has not had the youthful pleasure of this song. For that I feel bad. I can remember eighth grade baseball camp. We were all busting out rhymes from this album. Yes, we were generally the Whitest Kids U' Know, but we were just having a grand old time with three silly, annoying kids like us (they were pretty juvenile) from Manhattan. Goofballin'.

I am most ill and I'm rhyming and stealing

I think so too. AB could be a top 20 scoring WR and be drafted as your WR3.
I’m also targeting him, but I suspect he, a now healthy Evans & Godwin will all be within ~10% of each other’s final fantasy points total. 

But yeah, AB is 1/3 the price. Definitely the value pick of the bunch. 

Season ticket holders are forced to pay face value for this game.  Many probably sell their tickets on the secondary market, maybe at a profit?  I saw posts on twitter of people saying it's their first Seahawks game.  Sitting in the nosebleeds.  Couldn't look more excited.  They look down on warmups 90 minutes before the game and see Russ, Carson, DK, and Locket warming up in uniform.

Game starts, and something called "Alex McGough" runs out onto the field to start at qb for the Hawks.

What a joke.

I’m also targeting him, but I suspect he, a now healthy Evans & Godwin will all be within ~10% of each other’s final fantasy points total. 

But yeah, AB is 1/3 the price. Definitely the value pick of the bunch. 
I think Godwin and Brown will cannibalize each other a bit. Probably enough to make Godwin overvalued and Brown undervalued. I think Evans is entirely his own thing though. He almost plays a different position with how he's used. 

I think Evans will get his 1100-10, while Godwin and Brown likely split a pie of about 1800-13. I also think Gronk/Howard probably combine for roughly 900-10. 

If Evans, or especially Godwin get hurt, I think Brown has WR1 upside though.

I think Godwin and Brown will cannibalize each other a bit. Probably enough to make Godwin overvalued and Brown undervalued. I think Evans is entirely his own thing though. He almost plays a different position with how he's used. 

I think Evans will get his 1100-10, while Godwin and Brown likely split a pie of about 1800-13. I also think Gronk/Howard probably combine for roughly 900-10. 

If Evans, or especially Godwin get hurt, I think Brown has WR1 upside though.
I could see this. Good assessment.

it’s weird that Evans seems like the most underrated of the 3 in dynasty, yet he’s right there with Godwin ADP redraft. 

I could see this. Good assessment.

it’s weird that Evans seems like the most underrated of the 3 in dynasty, yet he’s right there with Godwin ADP redraft. 
For whatever reason, Mike Evans has been underrated his entire career in my opinion. He's the only player in history to begin his career with 7 straight 1,000 yard seasons, and most of that was with below average QB play. He had 1000-13 last year, while playing at half speed for half the year.

I have Evans probably 5-10 spots above Godwin in redraft, but I feel like I'm over ADP on Evans every year. He's averaged roughly 1200-9 over the course of his career. 

For whatever reason, Mike Evans has been underrated his entire career in my opinion. He's the only player in history to begin his career with 7 straight 1,000 yard seasons, and most of that was with below average QB play. He had 1000-13 last year, while playing at half speed for half the year.

I have Evans probably 5-10 spots above Godwin in redraft, but I feel like I'm over ADP on Evans every year. He's averaged roughly 1200-9 over the course of his career. 
I’ve had him since the inception of our dynasty league. At times it seemed like I couldn’t give him away. Would just get “not interested in Evans” responses. 

I’ve had him since the inception of our dynasty league. At times it seemed like I couldn’t give him away. Would just get “not interested in Evans” responses. 
Yeah, there was like that season and a half where everyone was super down on him. Was able to trade for him at a discount and have been reaping the rewards ever since.

Best goaline back in the league!

Bucs head coach Bruce Arians said WR Antonio Brown is "playing at a speed I saw four or five years ago."

Brown, Arians added, is "the healthiest he's been in years" headed into the regular season. Brown, 33, has struggled through a variety of injuries in recent years, and had knee surgery this offseason. The legally troubled wideout has reportedly dominated in training camp and joint practices this summer. ESPN's Jenna Laine predicted Brown -- after a full offseason with Tom Brady and the Bucs -- will lead Tampa in receiving yards this year. The Athletic's Greg Auman said last month that Brown “looks a step faster in training camp” than he did in the last half of the 2020 season. He should be locked into 12-team league lineups for the Bucs' season opener against Dallas. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Sep 7, 2021, 10:37 AM ET

Faust said:
Bucs head coach Bruce Arians said WR Antonio Brown is "playing at a speed I saw four or five years ago."

Brown, Arians added, is "the healthiest he's been in years" headed into the regular season

Except for that darn knee thang....

Brown didn't practice Tuesday due to a knee injury.

Spin: Brown's knee issue resulted in him appearing on the Bucs' initial injury report released Monday, even though he was a full participant in practice that day. At this point, the team hasn't revealed whether Brown's absence from Tuesday's session was due to the knee injury, or if he was withheld from the workout as part of a pre-planned maintenance plan. Either way, Brown's activity (or lack thereof) Wednesday will ultimately determine if he carries a designation into Thursday's season opener with the Cowboys. Chris Godwin was listed as a limited participant in Tuesday's practice, so the Tampa Bay pass-catching group is heading into the Week 1 matchup with multiple key pieces at less-than-optimal health.

Except for that darn knee thang....

Brown didn't practice Tuesday due to a knee injury.

Spin: Brown's knee issue resulted in him appearing on the Bucs' initial injury report released Monday, even though he was a full participant in practice that day. At this point, the team hasn't revealed whether Brown's absence from Tuesday's session was due to the knee injury, or if he was withheld from the workout as part of a pre-planned maintenance plan. Either way, Brown's activity (or lack thereof) Wednesday will ultimately determine if he carries a designation into Thursday's season opener with the Cowboys. Chris Godwin was listed as a limited participant in Tuesday's practice, so the Tampa Bay pass-catching group is heading into the Week 1 matchup with multiple key pieces at less-than-optimal health.
Godwin limited in practice today too, uh oh. 

Godwin limited in practice today too, uh oh. 

In full disclosure, I expect both of them to play.....certainly Godwin. However, AB's status is worth monitoring. May just be a maintenance day, hopefully.....but, again, he is 33 years old. You know that he is wanting to show out in primetime on Thursday evening though.

Arians said after practice everyone except safety Jordan Whitehead is ready to roll Thursday

Presumably AB got the veteran treatment today

Just about every team does that with their older players, seems like NBD

I think TB plans to run the ball a little more than last year as well as throw into the flat to Gio. I think Tom wants to get back to controlling the middle of the field and attack the linebackers and nickel/dime backs which is where the holes of the defenses usually are. Last season, they essentially had no time to develop chemistry and just did it on the fly. With a full offseason to acclimate, AB is a darkhorse for Comeback Player of the Year.

Antonio Brown caught 5-of-7 targets for 121 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' Week 1 win over the Cowboys. 

Brown's 121 yards led the Bucs in a shootout victory, and were his second most since joining the team. The most came last Week 17, with AB now having 259 yards over his past two regular season appearances. He had 3/71 before the first quarter was over this evening. AB looked every bit his vintage self on his 47-yard touchdown in the second quarter, where he stole Anthony Brown's soul as he ran right by him. There were a million valid reasons for the Bucs not to sign Brown, but they did and he has clearly become Tom Brady's special project. Brown needs to be treated as a WR2 with WR1 upside, especially for matchups like next week's smash spot in the Falcons.

Looked fast, quick. Even had a drop that would have been like another 15 yards easy.

Brady throwing the ball so well and they have all these weapons. 4-5 catches for 70 can be penciled in I’d think. Mix in the occasional 6 and 100 with a TD.

Very nice for what is likely people’s 3rd WR.

Should have seen this coming.  Best WR in the NFL over the past decade.  Full offseason, no drama and Tom throwing him the ball when he can't be double teamed.  He will score north of 10 td's this year.

Congrats to everyone who drafted him. He still a chucklehead, but damn he looked good out there. Precise and fast.
I punted on WR in my standard redraft league, so I am rolling into the season with Antonio as my WR2. I read all the blurbs about him preseason and drank the koolaide. 

He also just seemed like a guy with way more upside than the other WRs avail or around the same ADP so I reached a bit and grabbed him.

Last night was most pleasing to see.

Only one game, but he looks comfortable, quick, and on the same page with Brady as a go-to. 

Brown is looking like a nice steal, I do think its not a bad time to shop him though. He still isn't a full time player, and with his career history, and doing it in a game everybody watched, somebody might be willing 2018 Antonio Brown prices.

Brown is looking like a nice steal, I do think its not a bad time to shop him though. He still isn't a full time player, and with his career history, and doing it in a game everybody watched, somebody might be willing 2018 Antonio Brown prices.
Since Gronk and Godwin ate too, I think you’d be hard pressed to convince someone to pay that price.

Certainly a ceiling game- I’d expect 5-60 floors all year long, which is real nice 

Users who are viewing this thread