Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting.

The Californians...what a skid mark of a skit.Fred Armisen and Keenan Whatever can't say a single line without cracking themselves up. At least one person is laughing. Horrible.

As with so many SNL skits, once they get good laughs, they'll play it to death. The first time is great, the second time is a decent sequel and they should just stop after that. But they can't.
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They knocked it out of the park with this Joker/Sesame street parody. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqpak5lFxvs

Dunkin Donuts Commercial was spectacular.

McCarthy as Spicer for any who missed it.

To the people complaining that they don't know who Levine is, get with it. Maroon 5, and particularly him, are huge in pop culture right now. I guess they should only have Gene Hackman or Ray Liotta or other actors that were big when you were younger as the hosts.

No thanks.
Maroon 5 stinks. Who cares if they're popular? Big Macs are popular. That doesn't mean I'd eat that ####.
Ok, everyone stay bitter and locked in a time warp where only things that came out from when you 13-25 are cool and good.

I don't really care for Maroon 5, but all this "who?" schtick is dumb. No one has to like them, but don't act like they're not relevant or he shouldn't be hosting.

In what conceivable way is Maroon 5 relevant again?
The show's target market isn't 30- and 40-somethings who yearn for the days of Eddie Murphy and Phil Hartman. We tune in regardless (put the kids to bed, have a little dinner, couple glasses of wine, watch the news, tune in to SNL - typical Saturday night unless you're Arizona Ron). The show is trying to grow the next generation fanbase, which has got to be pretty hard these days given alternatives. To do so, SNL has to bring on guys like Levine that the teen and 20-something audience recognize.

Once in a while we get thrown a bone like a Christopher Walken or Barkley. We watch because we want to see a hit like the Cowbell skit, but Walken sucked last time, as did Barkley. As did De Niro. Former A-list actors are not locks for a hit show. And musical peformers have a pretty solid record. Timberlake is excellent. Mick Jagger was great last year. (I recall Elton John hosting, but don't recall if I liked him).

I don't think the blame rests on the guests. It's the cast. A good cast can save a lousy guest, rarely can it be the other way around. This cast is not good.

Hader, who can be really funny, in that screaming sketch last weekend was way over the top. Cringe-worthy.

I'd argue that they brought Levine as much because of his hosting on The Voice as for Maroon 5.

fwiw 1- I'm not a Maroon 5 fan and never gave a crap about what Levine's personality was like prior to...

fwiw 2- seeing him on The Voice, where he comes across as a decent enough guy.

fwiw 3- all that said, I still wasn't going to bother watching SNL. I'll watch their decade retrospectives... and typically STILL find only a small portion funny.

I'm a spry 40 and I think it's dog ####

I know there's this stereotype of guys that only listen to classic rock stations. But I love new music. I am excited to hear new bands.
I am too, but I think there's something to be said for having heard enough generic, cynical pop music as you've gotten older to not want to bother any more. Younger folk are able to listen to this stuff with much, much more open ears.signed,mid-40s curmudgeon.

To the people complaining that they don't know who Levine is, get with it. Maroon 5, and particularly him, are huge in pop culture right now. I guess they should only have Gene Hackman or Ray Liotta or other actors that were big when you were younger as the hosts.

No thanks.
Maroon 5 stinks. Who cares if they're popular? Big Macs are popular. That doesn't mean I'd eat that ####.
Ok, everyone stay bitter and locked in a time warp where only things that came out from when you 13-25 are cool and good.

I don't really care for Maroon 5, but all this "who?" schtick is dumb. No one has to like them, but don't act like they're not relevant or he shouldn't be hosting.

In what conceivable way is Maroon 5 relevant again?
The show's target market isn't 30- and 40-somethings who yearn for the days of Eddie Murphy and Phil Hartman. We tune in regardless (put the kids to bed, have a little dinner, couple glasses of wine, watch the news, tune in to SNL - typical Saturday night unless you're Arizona Ron). The show is trying to grow the next generation fanbase, which has got to be pretty hard these days given alternatives. To do so, SNL has to bring on guys like Levine that the teen and 20-something audience recognize.

Once in a while we get thrown a bone like a Christopher Walken or Barkley. We watch because we want to see a hit like the Cowbell skit, but Walken sucked last time, as did Barkley. As did De Niro. Former A-list actors are not locks for a hit show. And musical peformers have a pretty solid record. Timberlake is excellent. Mick Jagger was great last year. (I recall Elton John hosting, but don't recall if I liked him).

I don't think the blame rests on the guests. It's the cast. A good cast can save a lousy guest, rarely can it be the other way around. This cast is not good.

Hader, who can be really funny, in that screaming sketch last weekend was way over the top. Cringe-worthy.

I'd argue that they brought Levine as much because of his hosting on The Voice as for Maroon 5.

fwiw 1- I'm not a Maroon 5 fan and never gave a crap about what Levine's personality was like prior to...

fwiw 2- seeing him on The Voice, where he comes across as a decent enough guy.

fwiw 3- all that said, I still wasn't going to bother watching SNL. I'll watch their decade retrospectives... and typically STILL find only a small portion funny.

this. Bieber, next wk's host, has contracts with both NBC & Universal as well.

seems the Maroon 5 hate is that they look like a rock band but arent. i'll take their pop hooks over Idoldreck or hippop anyday.

if you like retrospectives, set the DVR for the repeat of NBC's look back SNL's 1st five yrs @ 9 tonite. it's still weird for me to think of those young lions of comedy as old/dead people, but my ol pal Jim Downey (the only person connected with more seasons of SNL than Lorne) had a cameo on the 30Rock finale the other day and he's a fat old man like me.

- 60s blunderbust

I'm a spry 40 and I think it's dog ####

I know there's this stereotype of guys that only listen to classic rock stations. But I love new music. I am excited to hear new bands.
I am too, but I think there's something to be said for having heard enough generic, cynical pop music as you've gotten older to not want to bother any more. Younger folk are able to listen to this stuff with much, much more open ears.signed,mid-40s curmudgeon.
I know what you mean. But I feel like cynicism's been a part of the music industry for a 100 years :shrug:

And who are the people thinking The Californians is funny enough that they throw it on like every week?

It's truly baffling. It's as if they're playing a secret joke on us or something.Whatever... as soon as it comes on, it's an auto-channel changer. :shrug:

And who are the people thinking The Californians is funny enough that they throw it on like every week?

It's truly baffling. It's as if they're playing a secret joke on us or something.Whatever... as soon as it comes on, it's an auto-channel changer. :shrug:
They jump on anything that'll get a laugh it's first time and play it to death. Unfortunately, nothing sticks. All the skits are just one-joke setups and there's no room to expand on it. And even if you could, the writers aren't good enough to do it. They just play the one note joke.

How do you people keep sticking with this show? It's been awful forever now.

As i've claimed before on these boards, SNL is my religion, reflecting my hope in and fear for society. I measure what's happening with and how i feel about culture by how our "best & brightest" reflect it extemporaneously each wk. Several times in the last couple of years, i've questioned whether - mostly due to LMichaels's "old man" performance as producer - we're actually getting the best & brightest in service of satire and, the more he pimps, the more that is diluted. Should John Stewart or Stephen Colbert - abiding bishops of the form - have to present nightly sketches that examine culture and the way we see ourselves as well as skewer the barrelfish of modern politics from behind a desk, however, we would likely be criticizing them as mightily as we do SNL. In terms of quality, the state of performance in our media is still pretty accurately reflected by SNL and woe is us for that. amen - Edited by wikkidpissah

seems the Maroon 5 hate is that they look like a rock band but arent. i'll take their pop hooks over Idoldreck or hippop anyday.

if you like retrospectives, set the DVR for the repeat of NBC's look back SNL's 1st five yrs @ 9 tonite. it's still weird for me to think of those young lions of comedy as old/dead people, but my ol pal Jim Downey (the only person connected with more seasons of SNL than Lorne) had a cameo on the 30Rock finale the other day and he's a fat old man like me.

- 60s blunderbust

That's awesome. We know him in my house as the "We make change" guy. Maybe not one of the best known commercials in SNL annals, but one of my favorites. My young kids even know what I'm talking about when I say "I can give you two dimes and nickel...I can give you two drachmas, 8 lira, and 5 rubles."

- 60s blunderbust

That's awesome. We know him in my house as the "We make change" guy. Maybe not one of the best known commercials in SNL annals, but one of my favorites. My young kids even know what I'm talking about when I say "I can give you two dimes and nickel...I can give you two drachmas, 8 lira, and 5 rubles."
that had Roseanne in it, right? great bit -

sharp guy, Downey - classic Ivy League weisenheimer. i was surprised to see him in the room when i auditioned, cuz i thought everyone from the Lorne years were boycotting the 2nd cast. my exprience did not go well, as ive chronicled here before, but Downey sought me out at a later party to tell me he liked what i did & we hit it off.

boy, you can sure tell the difference since he stopped contributing to Update a season ago, but we have him to thank for Palin/Fey, so that's enough for anyone.

I liked last night's show. Waltz was a very good host, totally went for it, and I got to say Alabama Shakes may be my favorite new band.

Until last night I thought their lead singer was a male. Hold On has been on local radio rotation for a few weeks. They sound great live.

I liked last night's show. Waltz was a very good host, totally went for it, and I got to say Alabama Shakes may be my favorite new band.

Until last night I thought their lead singer was a male. Hold On has been on local radio rotation for a few weeks. They sound great live.
I thought the same. Excellent band.

I actually liked some of the Waltz episode.The opening Carnival skit had me rolling.And I wasn't offended the rest of the way...usually it's so f'ing bad that I'm ANGRY...so, I'm left thinking it wasn't a bad overall episode.

I like that Alabama Shakes band but damn that lead singer is tough to look at...close set eyes and just strange looking all around and when she hits that "home" note...her mouth stretches out like a cartoon.

Finally finished watched the most recent episode. Alabama shakes is pretty good. The lead singer is violently ugly. I would say she's the least attractive female that's ever been on SNL in any capacity.

Who cares? Was she there to model swimwear? She's possibly the most gifted female singer/musician I've ever seen. To judge her physical attractiveness in this way is incredibly ignorant and crass.

Finally finished watched the most recent episode. Alabama shakes is pretty good. The lead singer is violently ugly. I would say she's the least attractive female that's ever been on SNL in any capacity.

Who cares? Was she there to model swimwear? She's possibly the most gifted female singer/musician I've ever seen. To judge her physical attractiveness in this way is incredibly ignorant and crass.
That's all true and all, but when a woman is THAT bowel-shakingly ugly...it must be noted.

I wouldn't go that far, but she does favor Madea a little bit

:thumbup:They're solid

Kate McKinnon on Weekend update was excellent. They need to use her more.

Was this the chick that did the russian lady bit? That was really funny. And that guy does an awesome Stephen A.